Category :
Matthew A - Senior Relocation Specialist
Hours:
9:00AM-6:00PM

Royal Van Lines, Inc.

Company Profile Royal Van lines is Canadian based moving company. We specialized in a long-distance moves. We started this business more than 12 years ago with one truck, and we are proud to have built it into one of the largest independent moving service providers in Canada.

You Might Also Consider

Carefree Moving

Logo.png

This company actually saved my moving. Initially I made an agreement with other movers, but night before the scheduled...

Stefanie from Le Plateau-Mont-Royal 1 Apr 15, 2014

Reviews for Royal Van Lines, Inc.

Show:

Oct 18, 2012, Toronto

First off, the movers at both location were great, staff at Royal Van Lines are helpful depending on who you get. Long distance moves are stressful as is ... here is my experience ... Items from my move were never received and/or damaged Relocated from Regina Sept 20 to Toronto Oct 4. Movers itemize and tag at loading. From that list 6 items were not delivered (1 full Suitcase, Garnet Bag containing 2 suits, 2 end chairs 1 white board; 1 was damaged sofa. Total approx LOSS $5000. Organization agrees they failed and based on their contract they pay $0.60 on the lbs; in good faith they are reimbursing me $250 a small price for them to pay compared to what they failed to deliver. The move itself ended up costing approx $2,800. OVERALL CHARGE Incl LOSS/DAMAGE goods between $7,500-8,000.

Helpful? Yes No
This review has been flagged for verification.
Caleb from Kindersley Oct 06, 2012
Why am I seeing this?

Oct 01, 2012, Courtenay

I delayed writing this review as I was first trying to sort out some problems directly with Royal Van Lines regarding the move of my daughter's effects from St Catharines to Calgary in July 2012. Unfortunately, in spite of being very patient, these haven't been resolved yet and I now have file a formal complaint through the BBB. So I am way overdue in writing this review and probably I should have done it a lot sooner. There were several problems with this company, but the main ones were for overcharging weight over 1000 lbs more than it really was and for failing to refund a warehouse handling charge that they had agreed to refund. In mid-June, through the Moveit.ca website request for quote from movers for the move size of a studio (less than 2000 lbs), I had received several quotes and decided to go with Royal Van Lines. Through e-mails with Emma Oz, the Sales Rep, I had then updated her with a calculated weight of 1600 lbs for the effects to be moved based on having individually weighted each box on a home scale. I was completely shocked when I found out just prior to the delivery that the actual weight I was charged for was 2940 lbs, almost twice as much as I had calculated. This overweight represented a cost of about $500 more than I was quoted. After the move, I discussed this discrepancy with Emma Oz, and later on with Brock, Customer Service Manager, but my request for refund was turned down. I asked to get a copy of the scale tickets for prior and after the pick-up, which Emma and Brock both said they would send to me, but they never did in spite of several reminders. I now believe those scale tickets do not exist and the weight they charged to be completely bogus, which is why I filed a formal complaint. In the quote I received, the company specifically guaranteed "No Hidden Charge or Surprise Cost". However, this wasn't the case. The final bill included a WAREHOUSE HANDLING charge of $75 that was not part of the moving contract I signed during the pickup and nowhere was it mentioned in the quote Emma had given me. Both Emma, and later, Brock agreed to the refund but the credit transaction has yet to show up in the credit card I gave them. There was another surprise cost, that fortunately I was able to avoid. Just prior to the delivery their Calgary office called to find out if there was any stairs and stated that it would cost an extra $500 if there was. Luckily we could use an entrance door on the ground floor and avoid a huge and exorbitant surprise cost, particularly for such a small move. Initially, the pick up on 4 Jul was arranged for early morning, which got changed to early afternoon, then mid-afternoon with the movers finally showing up late afternoon. I had to make several phone calls with the dispatch to find out what was going on. There was no harm done with this delay except that I had to change my own departing plans. The delivery period was very long. I was told the effects would be delivered in 7 to 10 days. So, my daughter and I plan accordingly. However, I wasn't told this is from the time they left their warehouse in Toronto. My daughter's effects were picked up in St Catharines on 4 Jul, but delivered in Calgary only on 28 Jul, over three weeks later, which created a few problems for my daughter. If I had known it would take so long, I would have use another mover. The company didn't offer any compensation for the long delay. Following the delivery, I tried several times to talk to someone in Customer Service and left voice-mails which weren't returned. I then contacted Emma who became the intermediary to deal with the problems although she acknowledged she wasn't the right person to deal with them. However, she did not refer me to the right person and things just dragged on with nothing happening. Eventually, I managed to reach someone in Customer Service (Brock) in early Sep who agreed to do the credit and to send me the scale tickets. However, a week later when nothing had happened, I left him voice-mails which he hasn't returned. During delivery, the movers somehow dropped off four extra boxes that did not belong to my daughter, which required arrangements to be made for these boxes to be retrieved by the company and returned to their rightful owners. On the positive side, all my daughter's effects were delivered in good condition with only minimal breakage not worth putting a claim. The personnel that did the pick-up in St Catharines and those who delivered in Calgary were fine. Nevertheless, the negative aspects for the service provided by this company far outweigh the good side. As such, I will never use Royal Van Lines again and would strongly NOT recommend it to anyone.

Sep 19, 2012, Toronto

These guys are pretty good...They move me from Kanata to Red Deer without problems..To be honest I was hesitant to move with a moving company but had I had no trouble..They crew is super hardworking and they did whatever they promised..Cool stuff..Would recommend toeven my grandma..lol

Sep 17, 2012, North East Margaree

Our move was from Grande Cache to cape Breton, only some of what we put on there truck came off, lost and some did not the drivers keep telling my wife just make a claim, there was other things busted into hundreds of pieces. we call and were offered $550. for about $17,000. in lost or broken goods so if you see a royal van lines in your yard We are sorry for what is going to happen to your goods.

Sep 15, 2012, Toronto

This was a nightmare. First the movers did not arrive until 9:30 at night and could not complete the move. I had to catch a plane at 5:30 am. Arrangement had to be made to have people open the house. Then they forgot things. Calls to advise Royal Vanlines that items had been left behind were not returned! finally I found the drivers telephone numbers and called them myself. Arrival Calgary. Arrangements made for delivery for Friday. Wednesday told they can not deliver. Very rude when I advised them I had arranged this two weeks ago. They refused to accommodate my confirmed date. Furniture arrived on Monday. First thing worker did was put a hole in my newly painted wall(s). Most boxes were smashed, ripped, open, in horrid condition. Half my china was broken! as well as some antique pieces that were heirlooms. Frame for bed broken such that it can not be fixed. Frame on 2nd bed scratched and marked and as its a metal bed it can not be fixed. Missing legs to coffee table. Chrome side table's bottom smashed in. Missing lampshade for large modern lamp. Glass on art work smashed. Not just broken but smashed to bits even though extremely well packed. I had moved from Calgary to Halifax 15 months previously, packed myself , and NO broken items!! Then to top it all off, I was charged more on my visa than I signed for. Calls to customer service before and after the arrival of goods were NEVER responded to. Finally I got smart and called the finance department and finally got the GM "Brock". No help given around the arrival of goods, the problem with furniture left behind and I expect not a good response to claim for broken goods. I would never recommend this company to anyone. The goods were not cared for, in fact were damaged. The customer service did not exist and there was no accountability from the GM when contacted. I could do pictures but they would look just like the pictures on another review.

Sep 15, 2012, Vancouver

Review has Multiple Versions 1

My employer relocated me from Toronto to Vancouver and while searching for a moving company (an experience that I wasn't really comfortable with in the first place), I was assured by Emma, the Sales Representative, that my items will arrive before the 4th. Let me tell you my story/nightmare... the movers were on time and did manage to get my items from both locations (Mississauga and Toronto) in 11 hours, and there were no racks for my clothes, which made them crumpled and requiring dry-cleaning. When I asked the movers when should my items arrive because I was told that they would be shipped out the next day, they laughed and said that that won't happen and admitted that they have only been employed with the company for 2 months and 6 months... makes you feel REAL comfortable knowing these are the ones responsible for your posessions. I arrived early in Vancouver to paint my new place so that the walls would be dried before my items were scheduled to arrive. After a delay of 3 days, I called the RVL office and no one had any answers for me. Finally after reaching Emma and being openly upset about my items not arriving, she got defensive and started shrieking about delays are expected, increases in labour costs, etc. Pretty much not respecting my anguish or distress. My employer paid for my relocation and I thought that going with a smaller company than a larger one was a better idea, now I have egg on my face. When my items arrives, they lost my mattress and at least 8 items were damaged, which included fiine art pieces. When I called for a status update in regards to my missing mattress and items being damaged, no one at the time was taking any form of accountability or responsibility, all I received was "Not my problem, it's out of my hands, etc". It was an experience that made me of being sick to my stomach that a company could be so dismissive of you and your posessions. I will advise that you pay more and get better service with a larger moving company with a 24-hour service department (where time zones are not an issue) and where it won't take a month or more for someone to handle your claim. After writing my initial review more than a week ago, Brock contacted me and within 36 hours my mattress was found a delivered a week ago. I have to admit that I though when I heard "You will be on the top priority list, etc" that I thought it was not true, but he proved me wrong. Even though I am thankful for Brock's efforts, I did not hear anything about one more missing item (the board for my bed) and my damaged items. I am sure they will get back to me, but in regards to the response time from my initial complaint to obtaining my mattress, I decided to move my initial rating from a 0 to a 2.

Helpful? Yes No
This review has been flagged for verification.
Aris Mayorga from London Sep 10, 2012
Why am I seeing this?

Sep 07, 2012

We booked this company to move from Halifax, NS to Waterdown, ON. This is our third interprovincial move, and by far this was the most disastrous! The movers showed up 6 hours early and started putting things in boxes arbitrarily. I had arranged with the company through Emma, the sales representative I dealt with, that I would be charged $35/hour plus materials for whatever I wanted packed. All I asked to have packed was our glassware. Instead, a number of items were thrown in boxes, as well as the glassware. Also, they didn't have the necessary materials with them, so went to the convenience store down the street and took a stack of free local newspapers. This is what our stuff was wrapped in. They also boxed up our 40" LCD TV. At the end of all this, we found out that instead of $35/hr, we were charged $1200 - a "partial packing" fee!! This covered three movers, who packed our glassware and two additional boxes (who took all of 2 hours to do this). So how they came to $1200 is beyond me. On arrival in Ontario, most of the stuff that they had packed (and charged us through the nose for), was broken. This included a lot of glassware and the 40" LCD TV. We also had a number of items that did not show up. After repeated attempts to contact the company I was put in touch with the general manager (Brock). He asked me to submit a claim and go from there. I submitted a claim, including documentation with photos of everything that had happened. After more than six weeks, we have yet to find out the status of that claim. I spoke with Brock this week, who assured me things would be dealt with and have yet to hear anything. The most frustrating part is how it is physically impossible to get anyone on the phone. We have left messages everyday for the last few weeks and still have not even received the courtesy of a phone call back. They got their money, and couldn't care less about any kind of customer satisfaction (or even common courtesy). I am beyond livid with the lack of compassion this company has displayed. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone. So far we have paid $7300. We have no idea what the status of our claim is. My advice - do not hire this company, and if you do, do not let them pack a thing! They will overcharge you, and likely do a lousy job.

Sep 06, 2012, Toronto

This company made an already stressful move across the country even worse. First off my move was accidentally cancelled by the office without our knowledge so we waited an entire day for our items to be picked up but no one ever showed. We then called the office on Monday (our pickup was on Saturday and the office was closed) and they had no idea why our move had been cancelled. They rescheduled for the following Saturday. The pickup went fine. We were told that the items would FOR SURE ship out on the 15th. We called to see when our items would arrive and we were informed that our stuff had still not been shipped out (it was the 21st). We called back a week later and our stuff had finally shipped on the 25th. Ten days after they were supposed to. Meanwhile I was in Toronto living in an empty apartment with absolutely nothing but a suitcase to live with. I had to purchase items I already had but were still en route to Toronto because I was without my items two weeks longer than I was originally told I would be. We finally were called on the 4th telling us that our stuff had arrived in TO and that we needed to be there the next day from 1-3 or we would not get our stuff. My mother had to come in from out of town to be there for the movers because I was in school and could not miss my class. The movers did not arrive until five. Upon arrival the movers were quite rude. Told me that they had to charge $150 for the five stairs that they would have to climb (something that was never mentioned in the many phone conversations to the office). We also asked to see the contract as the final price was higher than expected. He refused to let me see it. He did however, force me to sign the inventory list before I even saw my items claiming that it was "policy" and that I would not get my items if I refused. After signing they quickly unpacked. I noticed two items that were missing as well as a microwave that was smashed and a shelf that was dented to the point it would not stand up. I pointed this out to the movers and because they were running late they said "not my problem, call the office". Unfortunately because the movers were late and it took so long for them to unpack, the office was closed. I will be calling tomorrow but having dealt with the office numerous times already and have been quite disappointed with the service they provide I will be surprised if they will do anything at all. I have never been so disappointed with a service. There are a lot of moving companies out there, I am surprised that they are allowed to get away with such awful service and poor communication. I have to do several more moves in the next few years and I assure you I will never go with this company ever again and I would never recommend this company to my worse enemy.

Helpful? Yes No

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!