I received an electric shock on two separate occasions from the Fridge when I touched both the Fridge and another item eg: while touching the counter beside the sink, or the stove handle. If I touched only the fridge I did not receive a shock. I called two separate appliance repair places and each told me that the Fridge itself was probably not the problem, because to receive the shock I had to be touching two things. I looked for an electrician on Homestars and found Captain Electric are a local electrical contractor so I called them and they made an appt for 2 days later. Dave and Kevin arrived 1 1/2 hours early from the time I'd been given after I received a phone call from their office telling me they were on their way. They were very professional, showed me a binder with information about each of them, their company, their qualifications, the fact they were ESA certified and that Dave was a Master Electrician. After I described the problem, they gave me a quote before starting work, after asking me what I wanted included today, and stuck to that quote.
Initially they ran a tester between the Fridge and the counter beside the sink, and again between the Fridge and the Stove. They found that there was 115Volts being sent between these items when tested. After pulling out the Fridge they did indeed find that it was not the Fridge that had a problem, but the electric outlet the Fridge was plugged into had been installed by an amateur and was unsafe. They traced the wiring from the other available outlet behind the fridge to the breaker panel, to make sure it was on a dedicated circuit, then removed and sealed off the unsafe outlet. They wore booties in my house to protect my floors and after completing the job, made some recommendations about the light fixtures in the basement.
I was thoroughly impressed with Dave and Kevin, their knowledge and the professionalism they showed, as well as Captain Electric and have nothing but good things to say about them. I will use them again and recommend them to anyone who asks if I know a good electrical contractor. I found the price a little high, but I did receive a Seniors Discount from them.