Reliance Home Comfort

S. Stamler in Oakville
S. Stamler in Oakville
1 review OAKVILLE, ON

Rental Water Heater leaking and not working = "0" service

We are very dissapointed in the lack of service that we just received from Reliance Home Comfort.
Our 1994 rented water heater leaked out and stopped working on Sunday and we had an unsatisfactory service call today. Nothing has been remedied and we have another service call tomorrow (another day with no hot water).
By the way, we contacted them last summer and after numerous calls and discussions about getting this old unit replaced, nothing was ever done. I believe that I was paying for service with my rental agreement - they have not lived up to their agreement at all .
Back to the present...
We called yesterday morning to notify them that our water heater has to be replaced and that it was leaking out of the bottom. They couldn't send anyone yesterday but promised today between 10-2. We were happy that the technician arrived promptly at 10. Unfortunately he wasn't equipped to replace the water heater and also told us that we would have to replace the plumbing with new to-code PVC pipe. We were notified by this technician that he was not qualified to do the installation as he could not cut access panels in the drywall to run the pipe. He told me to "look in the yellow pages and find someone"! After the access hatches would be cut then someone from Reliance would be coming to remove the old water heater, install pipe, install new water heater and remove the old.
All this information and advice and nothing remedied.
He then reluctantly called his office at 11:00 a.m. to book another call for the installation to be done tomorrow - 24+ hours later again. In the meantime I am to determine where to cut the access holes to be ready for the install. How could he not think that the lack of hot water for another day is more than an inconvenience!! Ridiculous!!!!!
In the meantime I have researched water heaters, installers etc and have someone coming at 3:00 to complete a full install of a new water heater and piping etc.,..
I have cancelled my account with Reliance, had my comments documented with their customer service and booked a pickup for their old water heater.
They are charging me $65 for the pickup - one last kick in the "whats-its" for good measure.
I am no longer connected with the company but I do hope that they take a close look at their service levels and improve. There is competition out there and they are offering good service and products - something lacking from Reliance.

I'm very disappointed to hear about your experience and sincerely apologize on behalf of Reliance. Your overview raises a number of concerns that I will escalate internally and I appreciate you taking the time to share. Thank you.

Catherine Dunn in Oakville
Catherine Dunn in Oakville
1 review OAKVILLE, ON

Replace a defective water heater tank

I have been without hot water or heat for a week. Reliance has terrible, nonexistent service. 3 times men come out unprepared, unwilling to fix their mistakes, without proper equipment to do the job. It is Feb. and cold. My house is heated by hot water. My husband just got out of the hospital, needs open heart surgery and can't remove his bandages or shower, etc. Reliance doesn't care. The people on the phone are pleasant but ineffective. I would recommend you find another company to rent from. Also, I was told they wouldn't come out on a Sunday even though my husband just got out of the hospital and needed heat and hot water.

I'm very sorry to hear about this experience Catherine and would like to help. Please email me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com and I will escalate this issue so as to have it addressed. Thank you. RM

Arfeen From Mississauga
Arfeen From Mississauga

Water Heater

Worst customer service. I have been using rental water heater from Reliance. Today on Feb 2, 2010 the hot water stopped coming out of taps and we complained Reliance around 2:30 PM in the afternoon. We were told that our contractors will call you in 3 hours and they will come to your place to fix it. It is 10 pm now, I have called 5 times and still no response. We apologize, we are sorry, we couldn't get hold of contractor, getting their voicemail, they are closed by 5 pm, now they will come tomorrow only; you can name all teh excuses the customer service reps can give you. I said I'm going to cancle the service so I was told that customer service is closed now an dplease call tomorrow.
We will be without hot water in this winter weather, my family and kids are suffering for last 8 hours and not sure how long they will have to suffer. Will call teh customer service in the morning again.
Hot water is essential service and this is teh responce Reliance has given. I'll definitely not recommend them to anybody and soon will get rid off of them.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about this experience Arfeen. Please email me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com and I will work with our service team to provide a resolution. Thank you. RM

cathy in East Toronto
cathy in East Toronto
5 reviews East York, ON

Hot water heater & heat exchanger

No problems so far. The customer service staff have been great! They sent out someone to explain the new system to me and they were very helpful. I would recommend them to other people.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts Cathy. Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm glad that your experience has been a very positive one. RM

Raj in Kitchener
Raj in Kitchener
1 review Kitchener, ON

tank replacement

Had no hot water this morning. So called Reliance and they dispatched the technician in about an hour who came and told me that the tank needs to be replaced cus there was a leak. They will cover the replacement as my unit was rental but he told me that the vent has to be replaced too cus because of the law and i will have to bear the cost or $166 plus HST because vent was the part of my home plumbing. Now is it true that there is a law that when ever you repalace the tank the vent has to be replace...my home is just over 7 years old.

Thanks for brining this to my attention Raj. Please email me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com and I will get clarification on the specifics of the venting charge. Thank you. RM

Dissatisfied in Orangeville
Dissatisfied in Orangeville
1 review ORANGEVILLE, ON

Hot Water Tank Removal - HORRIBLE SERVICE

When we purchased our home, we took over the hot water tank rental. For the past 6 years we have not had any problems with Relianc.e UNTIL NOW. We found a good sale on a water tank, so we decided to purchase our own. I call Reliance to find out how I go about returning their tank. They told me I could either return it to a drop off location in Brampton or they could pick it for a fee of about $100. I prefered the drop off option, so they gave me the address and phone number for the location. It was 2 months or so before we finally were going to have a chance to drop the tank off, so I called the number to arrange to drop it off, and they lady informed me that they don't accept hot water rental returns and haven't for about 3 YEARS!. So I call reliance and request for them to come pick it up at no charge since they gave me the wrong information regarding drop off and they inform me that they have no record of my call and that they record ALL CALLS (apparently not - if they don't have a record....the lady who I work with remembers me calling). They apologize for the inconveinence and insist that I MUST pay for the pick up (which they now tell me is $125). OR i can drop it off to one of their REAL drop of locations, both of which are over 4 hours round trip. The customer service rep pretended to be apologetic, but obviously they don't care enough to come get it free of charge for the poor customer service and the misinformation. I WILL NEVER USE RELIANCE AGAIN NOR WILL I RECCOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE.

UPDATE....got my final bill and Reliance charged me $165 for pick up and transportation rather than the $125 they told me it would cost. When I called, the VERY RUDE customer service lady informed me that there was a $40 account closure fee as well. When I asked her to keep my account open, she told me that she couldn't do that. They sure are scammers at Reliance.

I apologize for the miscommunication and certainly understand your frustration. If you could please email me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com with further details, I will gladly look into this issue for you. Thanks. RM

kim munroe in Georgetown
kim munroe in Georgetown
1 review Georgetown, ON

furnace

The last 3 times our furnace has stopped working i have called to get emergency service, get told they have no one on call to make it out till next day. I have always paid someone else to come and fix it cause i can't sit in my home for a whole day and night when the temperature is below zero degrees. I don't know why i am paying for a home comfort plan when they can't even get someone out here to fix it before night fall. I am getting sick and tired of this terrible service. It is the worst service i have ever had and will most definatley be looking for another company to deal with in the future. I would never recommend this company to any one. Specially families with small children. It is not right to be paying for a protection service where you get no protection.

I'm sorry to hear about the experience Kim. Please email me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com and I will work to provide you with some answers. Thanks in advance. RM

Dale in Kingston
Dale in Kingston
1 review Kingston, ON

Outdated heater and yet another price increase

Amazing, Reliance finds a way to add yet another increase to quarterly rental. When we purchased our latest home 18 months ago our building inspector told us to contact Reliance to have the existing tank replaced. Old, outdated, not efficient and likely to leak in the near future. Reliance refused, sighting that they would not replace without a leak.

Now, after receiving my latest bill with yet another increase I called customer service and requested a replacement. If they are going to continually increase rates then it's got to be for a new heater, not some piece of junk. Finally she agreed, but then informed me that my venting was not up to code and it was going to cost $257 for approx 15' of new plastic vent pipe. Wow....what else can you say. She said it was because I was demanding a new tank although there was nothing wrong with the one I had.....other than being so old and inefficient that even the venting is out of code.

Crooks.... I'll be looking to purchase my own tank someplace else and they can pick up their piece of junk. Good Riddance!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Dale and I apologize for what has obviously been a frustrating experience for you. If you could please contact me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com, I would like to investigate this issue further. Thanks in advance. RM

Aaron Chandler in London
Aaron Chandler in London
1 review London, ON

Water Heater

I am extremly disatisfied with Reliance. I bought a house on December 2nd. It is my first home that I am buying with my wife and it is a duplex because we are only newly weds and wanted some extra help paying our mortgage.
I don't like to rent things so I called Reliance before I took possession of the home. I wanted to make sure that there was no rented water heaters. The customer service representive seemed disinterested in my concern and said there were no water heaters on file.
Two weeks after taking possession of the house I got a bill from Reliance for the 2 water heaters in the property.
I immediately contacted Reliance to buy out the water heaters.
For 6 year old water heaters they wanted $560 each! That is crazy since they told me the water heaters retail at $900. I asked them how they calculate the value on the units and they never gave me any answer. I feel like the company has me trapped and wants to force me to pay whatever price they want.
I would urge anyone to be very wary of entering into a contract with a company who would treat people this way.

I'm sorry to hear about this experience Aaron. If you could please email me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com, I will investigate this further and get to the bottom of the miscommunication with Customer Service. Thank you. RM

Shirley Derrick in Dundas
Shirley Derrick in Dundas
1 review DUNDAS, ON

Worst service I have ever received

A few years ago I had issues with my water heater. To make a long story short I had technicians at my house at least 3 times, had to call their head office at least 5 times, waited at least a month for spare parts. After weeks without hot water I called another company. They had a brand new water heater in my house within 24 hours. Even after all these years I cringe when I see a Reliance truck. Also, FYI - a co-worker recently had issues with her hot water heater and had exactly the same kind of service.

I would never ever recommend this company or deal with them again!

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the experience Shirley. In an effort to improve the customer service experience, I'd appreciate additional details to take back to the team for follow up. Please feel free to email me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com. Thank you. RM

More about Reliance Home Comfort