Alex's Antique Clocks Watch Repair & Restorations

465A Manor Road East Toronto ON M4S 1T3
Electronic Repairs
Alex's Antique Clocks Watch Repair & Restorations

Reviews for Alex's Antique Clocks Watch Repair & Restorations

Antique French silk suspension clock needed minor repair

I paid the $200 just to get out of the shop! I took the clock in and Alex advised it may need a lot of work. I told him I did not want any work done until I knew what and how much.

I knew the string was broken (external repair) but did not know what else as I was a novice at the time.

There was back and forth and he gave me vague explanations as to what he had to do. He made it sound like more than what was actually done as I would find out. I played along because I had an uneasy feeling and just wanted to get to the shop and pick up our clock.

All he did was add a new string and add solder to where the pendulum attached to the wire. That's it!

When I pointed that out to him he started to get belligerent and kept on with he did a bit of this and that - making no sense. I just paid.

I asked for a receipt and he didn't have any. He scribbled on the back of a business card.

Do NOT go to him!

I reported him to CRA because it seemed obvious how he conducted his 'cash' business.

Valerie S Toronto
Valerie S Toronto

Music Box repair

I took my mother's beautiful jewelry music box in for repair. I think it was a gift for her in 1949. The music box hasn't worked for years and I know my Dad (an amazing craftsman) tried to fix it and couldn't. Alex not only repaired the music box, but he glued the inside cloth which was letting go and fixed all the hinges inside and out. I am thrilled and would highly recommend him. I did not have any problem and in fact will go back!

Suzan Boudreau from Toronto
Suzan Boudreau from Toronto

attemped battery replacement

THIS GUY SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS.!! . I took my precious gold Tissot watch in to have a battery changed. I told him if he had trouble opening the watch I would take it somewhere else. He has ruined my watch probably beyond repair. He scratched the crystal, scratched the back and put a hole in the casing so now the watch is useless. It will cost me hundreds of dollars to either replace it or repair it I asked what he was going to do about it and he kicked me out of his shop. HOW CAN HE GET AWAY WITH THIS!!

Betsy from Old Toronto
Betsy from Old Toronto
1 review Old Toronto, ON

Clock repair

Stay away! I was charged $300, cash with no receipt, to repair an old clock. He replaced the innards with an inexpensive battery mechanism. When the clock broke within a year, he denied he had serviced the clock earlier. Very rude, unpleasant man.

JShardalow in Toronto
JShardalow in Toronto
3 reviews TORONTO, ON

Antique clock repair

DO NOT USE THIS MAN! I took the clock in to have the glass replaced and the mechanism serviced. He painted my clock without asking! This ruined the original patina on the clock -- which is dated the mid-1800's.

When I got the clock back, he had put the clock back at an angle. The back of the clock is hexagonal so with the clock face at an angle, the door at the bottom was also now at an angle. I had to return it to have him correct it. There was nothing I could do about the paint job.

With respect, I feel this gentleman is past his prime and should not be in business. His eyesight is so poor he had to wear jewelers magnification glasses out to write the receipt for me. So I fear he is not able to even see the small parts of a clock.

DO NOT USE this gentleman!

tory in TO
tory in TO

repair old watch

They repaired a early 1900's women's watch. They were polite and seemed fairly knowledgeable. My watch stopped tickeing after 6 months - i would not have spent that much money if I knew it would not work?!