Amherst Farmers Supply

Kathleen Lynch in Montague
Kathleen Lynch in Montague
1 review Montague, MA

Wood Stove

We bought a great Pacific stove, new chimney liner, chimney cap and custom surround but 3 months later smoke was billowing into my house I called to report something was wrong with the stove. I was told by more than one person that nothing was wrong with my stove. They said that the warmer weather was responsible. After multiple calls back and cancelling the appointment twice, (third time's a charm, I guess), the guy finally showed up. He said that there was nothing wrong with the stove yet, he hadn't even started a fire in it. I told him to start a fire and apparent ly something WAS wrong with the system. He still tried to blame the problem on the weather, "It's been so windy" then our wood, "you must be burning crap wood" When it was all said and done there was a problem with the chimney cap which THEY installed. He called a chimney sweep who checked out the roof. When the guy was on the roof, Chad, from Amherst Farmers Supply just LEFT, with my stove in the middle of my living room, the hearth covered in soot and the custom surround (which also took 3 times to make it the right size) standing up against my couch. My husband, the chimney sweep, our contractor and myself were stunned. The chimney sweep felt so bad about it that he stayed to help us reinstall the stove while our 3 SMALL children waited for dinner. Then the surroud didn't fit and wobbled back and forth. For 3000 dollars, I think they could have done A LOT better, or at least showed some respect for our house and our purchase. NO WORK ETHIC and no RESPECT for the customer. Bottom line is that you get a lot of attention when you're looking to buy and absolutely none after they've taken your money. BEWARE!!!

Sue in Amherst
Sue in Amherst
5 reviews Boston, MA

gravel and sand

We were price shopping for supplies for the tiles and the base for a patio we were constructing. Amherst Supply had the best prices and a variety of materials to choose from. They had supplies that you needed to measure and plan out this home-based project, and staff who were accommodating. We made special delivery arrangements and the patio has really been solid.

Anne in Montague
Anne in Montague
28 reviews Boston, MA

mulch

We were looking for red cedar mulch and couldn't find it anywhere else in our price range. Amherst Farmer's Supply was having a sale, so we were able to get a fairly large quantity of it for a reasonable price. They loaded it into our car for us, and offered good, friendly service. The store is well-kept and is very neat.

Denny
Denny
15 reviews Boston, MA

bought one piece of flagstone

I went to buy an irregularly shaped flagstone for a landscape project. Amherst Farmer's Supply staff loaded it into my car without my asking for assistance. I will happily shop there again!

Shannon in Amherst
Shannon in Amherst
32 reviews Boston, MA

bought buckets to collect sap

The salesperson at Amherst Farmers Supply was kind while looking at various buckets to collect sap. The store is clean and organized and seems to offer many services. I plan to go back to order chickens and buy some stone pavers.

Lassie
Lassie
17 reviews Boston, MA

pellet stove

I purchased a pellet stove several years ago through Bernardston farmers' Supply, which is affiliated with the Amherst Farmers' Supply store. They recommended a stove to fit the square footage of my house and installed it for a very reasonable additional fee. The person who installed it was amazingly fast and competent. After installing the stove, he gave me a brief explanation of the stove's various functions and showed me how to clean it. The stove has held up really well and reduced my heating bills substantially. I also purchase pellets through Amherst Farmers' and find the quality of their pellets (Canadian hardwood) long lasting and clean. Highly recommended.

melanie in Amherst, MA
melanie in Amherst, MA
36 reviews Boston, MA

purchased plants and seeds

If you want to know when to plant your seeds, the best fertilizer to use, and other questions that a small or big farmer/gardener would want answered, Amherst Farmers Supply is the place. Excellent customer service, knowledgeable and friendly staff.