Even single bad review is a redflag, but i gave a benefit of doubt after seeing one negative review, in the end paid the price and learnt costly mistake. See pics below
I shortlisted 3 quotes in sept 2020, out of which 1st one with all good reviews is not available until November, 2nd one did not provided the references, 3rd one Raymond offered to show his current bathroom renovation in Brampton and start with in a week and complete in 10 days max. So i hired him thought i have done all the due diligence but i am wrong learnt with in 2 days.
He started on 27th and took 50% as agreed, end of the day realized he hired shady workers who cannot do even basic work.. simple washroom demo took almost 2 days.. after a week asked another 25% to start tiling which should be paid after 50% of work done..still i gave away..that's my biggest mistake..
After taking 75% of money, no show for another 2 weeks giving all sort of lame excuses (Restructuring his workers, thanksgiving holidays, undercut the project etc,.).you name it he used all tricks to take remaining balance of 25% upfront which was suppose to be paid after completion of the work (agreed, signed the contract at the beginning with this terms)
After one month (Oct 28th 2020), he came and took all his left over tools and told me he will resume only if i pay the final balance of 25% (2K) now . I denied seeing the left over work vs. amount to be paid does not match and lost trust completely after seeing additional reviews. (Tiles not completed fully, drywall patches not filed, no shower glass, no vanity, no exhaust fan, no bathroom fixtures..list goes on)
November 2nd 2020, Filed a complain with Ministry of Government & Consumer Services and with case officer intervention, Raymond agreed to resume the work on December 14th and signed Record of Discussion with ministry.
December passed, January 2021 passed, Again no show..again same tricks/excuses(busy with selling his 5 bedroom house, big projects etc.,), After repeated followups, he finally declared that he will not do the job any more and offered to pay the difference of amount to be carried out by another contractor. Till today not even single penny received.
February 2nd 2021 he blocked our phone numbers completely and on the run as i cannot get hold of him at the address he mentioned in the contract.
For the sake of other innocent customers, i am not going to leave this matter here as we were been subjected to lot of trauma financially and emotionally. I will be suing for the damages in small claims court soon after consolidating the documentation (fortunately i have recorded every correspondence in writing).
Hope this review gives some inspiration to the customers who got duped by this business/Raymond, can file the case with Ministry where my case is currently under investigation.
Consumer Services, Policy and Partnerships Branch
Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Box 450, 77 Wellesley Street West, 16th Floor
Toronto, Ontario. M7A 2J6