this is a breakdown of the disaster that was this project:
1. Contractor/owner of company has been paid to date a total of $23,000.00 by e-transfers + an additional $1,000 cash
2. the breakdown is as follows:
- $18,000 for the reno work and materials
- $5,000 for the kitchen (i have copies of invoice from kitchen sub-contractor and invoice from: Sika General Contracting, double, huge price difference, 100% mark-up)
3. the only real work done so far was:
- remove old laminate flooring in basement
- install dri-core subfloor (which was installed incorrectly, squared, not staggered. it was also glued down, but it's supposed to be a floating install)
- install laminate flooring in new living/kitchen area
- frame 2 small walls in the laundry area
- drywall and mud said walls
- plumbing: rough-in only, for kitchen and laundry, not completed.
- electrical: installed sub-panel and wire runs for kitchen appliances, new light fixtures and most light fixtures half installed, still not completed.
4. the kitchen was installed "as-is" by the kitchen subcontractor:
- installation could not be completed because the work required by GC to prepare for the kitchen install has not been completed.
- the kitchen area walls are not square and counters are not flush to wall.
- cannot install back-splash tiles, wall is not complete.
- my mother bought and paid for all the appliances out of her own money directly with the supplier, Appliance Canada
- my mother also bought and paid also for:
- back-splash tiles
- kitchen sink
- kitchen tap
5. work still not completed:
- 240V outlet for kitchen stove not operational
- incorrect light fixtures installed, we asked for warm white spotlights, we got cool white flat diffuser type.
- some light fixtures are missing, not connected or operational
- light switches are missing
- some 120V outlets not operational.
- kitchen sink is only rough-in, no connection to tap, still in sealed box on counter as shown in photos.
- laundry room on tenant side not completed as per plans, no plumbing rough-in, no sink, no cabinet as requested and shown in plans.
- laundry room on owner side has no sink rough-in, only drain, no cabinet as requested and shown in plans. original sink could have been re-used, i found it in the garbage in backyard.
- no vinyl plank flooring in laundry room as requested
- no flooring material on site
Paint and trim:
- no trim work, baseboard, etc. around walls after flooring was installed.
- no painting was done.
- no paint and materials on site. my mother witnessed the contractor removing all purchased paint and supplies from site.
- there was a construction disposal bin for a few days on site. it has been removed.
- there is still ample scrap and garbage on-site, in the backyard and side of the house. i have photos to prove it.
the money paid of $18,000 (work and materials) plus the $5,000 (kitchen) plus $1000 cash, total of $24,000 more than fully cover the work done and materials so far and we still need to finish the job.
there is more to be said about this but there's a pending court case so i cannot get into details.