Plumbing
Toronto ON M1E 5C8
Plumbing
Southern Cross Plumbing Inc.

Reviews for Southern Cross Plumbing Inc.

Condo repiping project

Where to begin.... I chose Southern Cross over the competition mainly for financial reasons. The cost was a bit less, but the rest sounded the same to me. After speaking with other owners, I soon found that I had been misinformed . They barely protected anything within my unit, aside from a couple drop clothes. My front door was left open for the world to see, while multiple workers were in and out throughout the day. No accountability, no customer service, not even a smile or handshake at any time throughout the process. It was quite a disappointing experience.

Hello, being a private user and based on your review I am unaware of any work completed by southern cross plumbing, nor have we had any communication regarding this.

AndrewC in Cambridge
AndrewC in Cambridge
1 review Cambridge, ON

replacing kitec

I decided to go with Southern Cross for replacing my kitec over a couple other companies because they offered a lower price for service. However, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.. It didn't seem like they cared about the work they were doing, and they were just rushing to get onto the next project... I didn’t get a good feeling from the employees either as none of them would so much as strike up a conversation with me. I also had to pay for cleaners after they were done as it was such a mess. I’d recommend spending the extra money in the first place to know you are receiving good service from the start.

Dear Andrew,

It is regretful that Southern Cross Plumbing Inc. could not meet your expectations. Please email indira.scp@gmail.com with your contact information so we can rectify your concerns. Thank you.

dindar
dindar

Work done in a very timely manner with minimal dust.

Kitec plumbing was being replaced at 153 and 155 Beecroft. We lived in a condo at 155 and had moved to another condo. Our unit was scheduled to have the Kitec plumbing replaced in 2018. As we had plans to rent the unit in January 2018 , Southern Cross oblidged and did the work December. The job was done in 3 days. There was minimal dust and after the drywall was patched and painted one would be hard pressed to note that there was major work done. I have seen videos on Kitec replacemeent from other companies. The job done by Southern Cross was much neater and less destructive. We also had Kitec replaced in the condo that we had upgraded to . The cost was much higher but it was one unit only in a condo with 150 units. Considering limited cooperation by the Condo management which was undergoing a crisis the job did take about a week. The pictures are from the second condo. After the drywall was patched and painted the only visible evidence is a bulkhead in corner fo the dining room. Just as it is impossible for a surgeon to operate without some bleeding it is impossible to cut and patch drywall without dust. You cannot expect miracles.

Hi Dindar, thank you for your positive review. We pride ourselves in providing a positive experience for home owners with minimal disruption as if it was our own home :)

broadway in Toronto
broadway in Toronto

Kitec piping replacement plus shut off valves in over 300 suites

416 881 8009
Toronto
M1E 5C8

Southern Cross Plumbing has been hired to replace all the Kitec piping in the residential suites of this 26 storey condominium in North York. The project is going very well so far and the communication and follow up from Southern Cross has been excellent. There have been a few minor issues (which are always expected in projects of this magnitude) which were handled quickly and satisfactorily - but overall the project is going very well as mentioned above. Here are some positive reviews received from unit owners:

"The guys did a great job on the kitec replacement! Very quick and tidy. I'm impressed. Didn't realize they were coming back [today] to finish! Can't even tell anything was replaced. Very impressive. Thanks again."

"Also, if you could pass on my gratitude to the Southern Cross team for a job very well done. You would have to know where to look to find the patches that were created to complete the Kitec replacement."

"Yesterday the piping phase 2 started and would like to comment that it was a very clean job done so far."

"Yesterday the plumbing was replaced in my unit and I have absolutely no complaints. It looks like the guys did a great job."

We thank you for your great review. It is much appreciated :)

Bandi in Wilmington
Bandi in Wilmington

Southern Cross Plumbing; Kitec piping change in a Condo

Southern Cross Plumbing has hired at my building, to replace Kitec piping. I have a small condo unit. On paper they looked good, promising minimal inconvenience, quality work, and finishing the walls after the piping is replaced.

Work was scheduled to go on for 5 days, and I dropped in multiple times in all days, to see how things are done. Here are my observations:
- they started the work 2 days later than scheduled, and finished 2 days later
- from the 5 days, 1 full day was spent to make minimal cuts to the walls, replace piping, and secure back the drywall pieces with screws(kudos for the plumbers used)
- for this stage, some furniture was plastic sheet covered, but dents created by this work was not later repaired
- for the next 2.5 days they did not do any work on my unit, and they did not not tell me this, but water was back in all taps
- they quickly fixed the drywall cuts, filled in the cuts, and prepared the walls for painting; this took less than half day
- the above job was not terrible, but pretty bad; whatever holes were not very visible, were not fixed;
- for the above step they used minimal cover for floors and zero for furniture(they used some cover just to show they had it on)
- painting and finishing touches were done on less than 2 hours, some floor covering was used.

Overall the plumbing work was good, the finishing job was bad, they caused much more mess then it was expected from their sales pitch.
They over-estimate by much the complexity of the project when providing estimate, planned it to be executed the cheapest way possible, and ignored customer complaints.

Good Morning, I am sorry to hear about your concerns. To date I have not received any complaints or concerns regarding your unit through yourself or management. If there is anything we can do please contact me at petert.scp@gmail.com or your building management so that we can help with your concerns.

Mark in Toronto
Mark in Toronto

Messy Workers Hired To Remove KiTEC Plumbing

At the beginning these guys were not my first choice. If I could, I would have hire another company but timing wasn’t on my side and my condo board asked us to hire them or end up paying more money for the work. Southern Cross was set to replace all the damaged KiTEC pipes in my apartment. They completed the work at the end of October but not on the best quality as promised when hired.

To be fair some of the guys in the house were very friendly but the mess left behind along with the ongoing issues left a sour taste in our mouths. With the holes cut into walls in the bedrooms kitchen and bathroom we found drywall compoud dust on everything. The next day we left a note asking them to cover our things with drop cloths when they were working. But when we came home after work we found everything still covered with dust. We had to wash linens, pillows and duvets twice to get the dust out (each night!). I had to vacuum the couch to get the dust out of the fabric. It sucks now because when I sit on the couch I can see a small cloud of dusty puff up from the couch. Not great if you have allergies.

A bad experience continued every day when they were in the house, with more dust every day and they must have left their work boots on, slopping in water from the outside, and scuffing our hardwood floors. When I got home early one of the days I asked the manager to send someone to clean the floor. A friendly guy with an accent came and used a dirty rag to clean the floor which made it even worse.

If they can not care for your personal property, then how can they take care with the new pipes they install in the apartment? I would not trust them back in my home.

Hi Mark,

I would like to start off by offering my apologies for your experience with us, while some positive as mentioned, others are a concern. I believe we came back to clean your unit again prior to this review and after the photos were taken. I can assure you we do use cleaning products with a swiffer mop to clean with not dirty rags. Once again I apologize that it was not to your satisfaction.

Sincerely,

Jeff in Toronto
Jeff in Toronto

Kitec pipe replacement - Poor Service

Southern Cross Plumbing was hired to replace existing Kitec water piping throughout our entire condo complex. The project would take several months to complete to ensure all units were retrofitted with new Uponor pipes. They required 1.5 weeks to complete my unit and during this time I decided to live elsewhere (not required) to give them as much space as they needed to finish the work. During this time frame they were to cut through drywall, remove the old pipes, install new pipes, replace the drywall, re-paint using the paint I provided, and clean up after the install. In addition to this, they were to use floor runners and furniture tarps to eliminate any mess to the rest of the home.

While they successfully installed the new pipes, they unfortunately, did not hold up to their end of the bargain in protecting my furniture, floors, or ensuring the home was clean after their project. During the install I did a quick inspection and noticed that tarps or runners were not being used. Drywall dust was everywhere, including leather couches, beds, closets, bathroom and kitchen. When I brought this up to the project manager (Steve) he told me I must have missed them because his crew always uses tarps. Photo evidence shows otherwise. At the end of the project the closet doors were not replaced, hardwood floors were full of boot prints and dried mud/water stains from outside, ceiling air vent was damaged, the furnace did not function properly, and dust still covered my furniture and main living areas. All 21 drywall patches were not painted with the paint I provided (as agreed upon via contact), but painted with a cheap primer. After complaining again to the project manager, they sent someone in to repair the furnace only.

I escalated my concerns with the manager/owner Anton who simply stated he didn’t care and his crew was “hired to install the new pipes and not to be house maids cleaning dust up everywhere”. When I expressed to him his crew didn’t use tarps to minimize mess, didn’t clean up after their work, wore wet boots around the house causing more mess, he chuckled stating “we’re plumbers, not maids”. He was extremely unprofessional, unwilling to take any accountability for the actions of his crew or project manager, and refused to work with me to come to a solution.

In the end I was required to clean the mess they left behind and repaint the walls.

In addition to the above, I’ve learnt from other tenants in the complex that they too have experience similar issues with Anton and his crew, some having a worse experience (i.e. flooding due to washer/dishwasher piping connections not made).

While his team did install the new pipes, I would caution hiring Anton due to his unprofessional behaviour and recommend you look elsewhere for your plumbing needs.

Hi Jeff,

My apologies for the events that had happened as we certainly do not want unhappy customers. It is my understanding that any concerns you had were dealt with and corrected prior to this review including coming back to clean your unit. As mentioned in our prior discussions there had been some miscommunication with respect to who was to paint the finish colour. It was our understanding that you were going to paint your entire unit yourself over the weekend. We then offered to paint the areas we worked on but you had already done the final colour over the weekend. In the contract it does state that we paint to primer finish only and it is a courtesy for us to paint the walls with the final colour (when supplied by owner) at no additional cost. The required work was done on time and to the contractual obligation and its my sincere apologies that your experience with us was unfavourable and not to your satisfaction.

Sincerely Yours,

Looking for Plumbing pros in Toronto?