Contracted TerraPave 20 October, 2016 for Asphalt Work (gravel, precast curb, 2” asphalt) for $2,700, spelling out – top coat in 2017. Gravel and curb was done in 2016 ($1700 paid, the rest when complete).
•20 Sep, 2017 - contacted TerraPave to schedule my driveway as the City started to fix my curb.
•10 Oct, 2017 - the City was done – I have asked the company (J.) to schedule asap.
•23 Oct, 217 – asked again about the schedule – J. txt: “Next week. I’ll keep you posted.”
•27 Oct, 2017 – asked for update – J. txt: “We are behind schedule. Possibly 2 weeks.” “We are delayed on all fronts”
•2 Nov, 2017 – asked for update – J. txt: “I know I told you it was scheduled and it is however we have 300 homes to finish in Barrie… Once completed we will be back in TO.”
Me txt: “If another big contract comes in, we’ll be pushed back further…?
J. txt: “The contract was signed in the spring”
•13 Nov, 2017 - – asked for update – J. txt: “I believe next week I’ll be in the area. Again sorry for the delays but there’s not much I can do.”
•27 Nov, 2017 – asked for update – J. txt: “I’ll know tomorrow.”
•29 Nov, 2017 – asked for update – J. txt: “100% next week.” “There is no way to delay this project until spring??”
Me txt: “Nooooo, I have shovelled the gravel for a full winter and cleaned the garage from dirt and mud every other day. I would like to get it done asap please!”
J. txt: “Ok”.
•4 Dec, 2017 – phone call with J. and I was promised yet again “100% Thu or Fri”
•8 Dec, 2017 – asked in text message “100% today?”
J. txt: “Not today. Way too cold to pave. I’ll call you later.”
•I have called the company and was told that there is no way my driveway will be done this year, but one of the owners will call be back in a day or two to discuss it further.
•12 Dec, 2017 – since I have not heard from the owner for several days, I have called TerraPave again and expressed that they are in breach of contract. The response of a rather arrogant lady was: – The Company cannot control the weather, this is the nature of the business, I was not ready when the company was (???) and I can go complain where ever I want it does not matter!!!
•12 Dec, 2017 – Discussed with J. on the phone: - the intent was good, but the company has not fulfilled the contract. After I have asked him to pay for a contractor to shovel my gravel driveway (nobody would take such contract), he has offered $100 credit for the spring since I was morally right. He has expressed again that the company can’t afford to lose money, they can’t control the weather and though I was promised several times 100% delivery, people should understand that “this is the nature of the business...”