We remodeled our a basement. Its an old semi attached house so basement was skinny and used mostly for storage and the extra bathroom. Only basements contractor (Joesph) worked with us to come up with a layout that would work for our objectives, gaining an extra-bedroom, expanding the bathroom, but creating more friendly space. we are very happy with the results
1. Joesph would provide idea on materials and looks but never pushed his ideas over ours. Then again we looked to Joesph for help.
2. If there were any changes or new ideas that came about during the work (moving a furnace, changing placement of walls, added windows) Joesph was very good to make it work within the budget (modifying ideas). The end result, we did not go over the budget.
3. the workers were very friendly and accommodating. When they were at the house, they worked hard, not alot of standing around.
4. quality of the work was very good. at times when something didn't look right or not to our liking, the company was very accommodating to modify and fix it. No complaints, no discussion of extra cost.
4. based on previous experience with contractors, we appreciated that the contract had a clause for the company to pay penalties (reduction in cost) back to us if they went over the recommended time. Interestingly, they did go over the planned times and they did honor the penalties for delays caused by them and they didn't try to come up with excuses, just honored it.
1. The work took longer than first planned. Some if it was unavoidable, (ie we added an additional component to water proof a basement wall) and there was some back orders but there were times there was a slow down in the progress of the work.
2. communication could have been better at times. I realize contractors are working multiple projects but there were a couple of times I would want to reach the team and it would be 1-2 days before hearing back. But when we pointed this out, the communication got much better.
3. The work done (ie alot of sanding etc...) created alot of dust in the air that floated from the basement into the first and second floor. This became a little frustration to continue to clean up the dust constantly. Wish they did put some effort to protect against this (ie plastic curtains to minimize basement exposure).
we are very happy at the design and functionality of the space, the work was very good and they stayed within budget. It went longer that we thought it should but overall I would recommend them to friends. and our next project we will look to use Joesph and only basements again.