HomeStars  >  Basement Renovation in Markham  >  Better Built Renovations Inc.

Reviews for Better Built Renovations Inc.

nathan.samsonoff in Toronto

The summary is they delayed the start of construction for over two months until I finally cancelled out of frustration. They have not yet refunded me my deposit (as outlined in our contract) and it has been 118 days. They are no longer answering emails or phone calls. DO NOT TRUST THEM WITH YOUR MONEY.

May 5: Set up appointment for estimate
May 12: Received estimate for $14,719.95
May 23: Gave go ahead to proceed with final quote and scheduling
Jun 2: Was told work would commence June 19th or earlier
...
A number of scheduling phone calls and delays
June 23: Received final contract at updated price of $18053.75
June 30: I signed contract
Phone call saying work would start early week of July 10
July 10: Told work will start afternoon of July 11
July 11: Nobody showed, no one answered emails or phone calls
...
New contact phones me saying project manager has been removed from the project and he is taking over
Mid-late July: Worksite visit to prep
July 30: I paid deposit
Aug 1: Work will start Aug 3 or 4
Aug 2: Second site visit, but with different contractors. Was told they were employees of BBR by project manager, but they themselves told me they weren't. Project manager assured me they were repeatedly until I called him out on this. Was promised work would be completed by end of August, but contractors had stated they were not available for at least a week and timeline was not possible.
Aug 2: Got fed up after all the back and forth and cancelled, following process outlined in contract. Was told they have a 90 day payment procedure. Was told the site manager was fired, although I don't believe it. Thus begins waiting for deposit reimbursement.
Nov 9: Told there was a mixup and it was being fixed. Cheque will be in the mail for next week.
Nov 20: No cheque.
Nov 21: Told it has been escalated and I will have update next day.
Nov 22: Told it's being "sorted out".
Nov 28: Every day since then, no responses to emails or phone calls.

I have waited to respond to this review because we needed to consult with our lawyer and figure out how we where going to deal with this situation.

We have always had a waiting list for all our projects and this project was no different. Waiting in frustration has nothing to do with our company as most residential construction companies can not start any project on signing and if this wasn’t made clear then a do apologize for that.

I had met with you a few times in May to discuss and plan your renovation and stopped the process because of scheduling conflicts. I was told by our receptionist in June that you had called our office and still wanted us to do your home improvement project. The file was then sent over to our project manager at the time to handle the contract from that point. In mid July my project manager told me we would be starting the project in the first week of August. We firmed up our contactors and created a Gantt chart for your project and scheduled our company around this start date. The day before we where scheduled to start I was told you had cancelled and secretly hired our contractor to complete the work that we had a contract with you for. We then started to investigate the project managers handling of this contract and deal with the lead contractor regarding his involvement in this total breach of trust. Shortly after this we had to remove the project manager from this position with our company.

I have been in this industry for nearly 30 years and never experienced a situation like this. The process has taking me longer than expected to figure out. Furthermore, a full investigation was done so we can avoid these sorts of situation moving forward.

Our contract clearly defines the terms of such a cancellation and these terms are easily calculated. We incur expenses proving quotes, estimates, drawing up contracts and planning by;

• drawing up floor plans
• scheduling trades
• scheduling internal staff
• corporate overhead
• estimating
• sourcing materials
• vehicle transportation
• sales consultation

These expenses add up quickly and with smaller jobs can easily outweigh the deposit. We are at a financial loss with this project and now we are dealing with this review response.

I do wish we where able to provide you with our services, so you could experience a well-built project that would last the life span of your home.

Take Care

Jay-ss15

I hired Better Built Reno to overhaul 2 floors of my house (install hardwood, baseboard, new bathroom vanities, wall paint, paint stairs, new closet doors). Evan and his team were responsive all the way. They were very transparent with their quote and timelines to complete the project. Minor setbacks were addressed quickly and communication was constant. The end result was a completed project that was on-budget and on time. Due to the high quality of work I would recommend Better Built Reno to any of my friends.

Thanks Jay it was a pleasure working on you project.

ambrosewhwong
1 review Ajax, ON

We had our main floor completely opened up and we custom built a kitchen which turned out very well. We also finished the basement which has became our kids play room also done perfectly to our plan. At the end we added to redo our washroom, there was a few problems with it but it was clearly communicated and fixed. We loved the job that was done, it did take longer than expected as for all renovations usually do. Overall, the job was very well done and we appreciate the professionalism of better built to keep us informed every step of the way and made us love our house even more. Thank you!

You had a great vision for your home and we where grateful to have the opportunity to work with you and your wife.

don.banh

Quick and effecient. Everything was installed in a professional manner. Painting of hallway and rooms matched quite well. A pleasure working with BB Renovations

Thanks Don for the great review

Tak in Toronto

My wife and I first noticed the quality of Better Built Renovations' work while house hunting and seeing one of the properties they renovated. This made an impression, and when we purchased our home we decided to go with BBR after consulting numerous other contractors thanks to Evan's friendly, easy going professionalism.

We wanted to update our 50's era bungalow to a modern living space which included removal of a load bearing wall for an open concept space. This was our first major renovation project and Evan, Howard, and the BBR team happily answered all of our questions and addressed our concerns. They worked with us in selecting our own materials and finishes and bringing our vision of home to life. They also worked with us to ensure the project would fit within our budget. Although there were delays in the timeline of the project, Evan kept in constant communication with us to keep us apprised of the status of the work. When Evan was unavailable he ensured that another member of the team would be in touch.

Evan and his team took full ownership of their work, correcting mistakes without complaint and ensuring that everything met both his and our standards. Overall, we are very pleased with the work that BBR has done and would look to them again for future projects.

Thanks for the great review. We enjoyed working with you both on this project.

Les

We bought townhouse that was built in the late 70s. It was missing the modern convenience of a HVAC system and natural gas, and the overall condition was in need of major renovations. We got the home at a hysterically good price and knew that any kind of money spent on improving the home would still keep us ahead of the market.

Our project had two main goals: remove a couple structural walls to modernize an old space, and install a HVAC system.

I found BBR online and asked Evan to come by and take a look at the place. Our meeting lasted more than an hour as we walked through the house and told him above the big overall picture. I was impressed with Evan's honesty and his knowledge. He spoke in detail about what we could do to remove the structural walls and I felt assured that he knew what was needed to be done to ensure the home was structurally sound during and after the process.

Needless to say, we went with BBR.

Evan and his team of sub-contractors came in, removed structural walls, installed a new HVAC system, replaced all the electrical wiring in the house and upgraded the fuse panel to a breaker panel, re-routed plumbing, installed hardwood floors, and installed recessed lighting.

All in all, we couldn't be more pleased with the results.

The process took longer than expected but there was a lot of work to be done. The current iteration of the home is as good as it'll get. We still have several more projects to do including a full kitchen remodel which we're planning to bring BBR back in to help.

Thanks for the fantastic review. Hope we can work together in the future.

Sofien

Creating a separate entrance to a basement appartement at a very competitive price and amazing timing.
Crew was very Efficient and quick
Project manager, Evan, was very knowledgeable and very accommodating.

Thanks Sofien, it was a pleasure working with you.

KP

I had a great experience working with Evan and crew. Very responsive. Very professional. Was very happy with the final result. He stuck to the budget I had and came through on everything I wanted. Already working on a couple other projects with him.

We look forward to working with you in the future.

Shaffiel
1 review Scarborough, ON

They RENO my kitchen and fire place
I would definitely use them again if I need to

Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure working with you.

fatima.mohamed

My parents renovated the entire main and second floor of their 30 year old home. Better Built and their team did a fantastic job! They are very knowledgeable, professional and highly efficient. Our friends and family who've visited since the reno love the home and have asked to be referred to this contractor as well. We can't say enough great things about them and will definitely be recommending them in the future.

Working with you and your family was a great experience. You always made us feel welcome and we truly felt like part of the family by the time we completed your renovation. Call us anytime.

Thanks

More about Better Built Renovations Inc.

Better Built Renovations is a leading home renovations company based out of Toronto. We pride ourselves on creating quality, lifelong projects to perfectly suit our client’s needs. From a small bathroom renovation to a complete tear down and rebuild, our transparent Better Built process leads you through the project and leaves our clients feeling completely satisfied that their renovation is being handled with care and experience With over 25 years experience Better Built Renovations is the perfect match for your home renovation.

We hold ourselves to a very high standard and pride ourselves in exceeding your expectations. Being a family owned business we have a special commitment to each other that extends to all of our clients. We are always available, open to conversation and constantly keep you informed on the progress of your renovation. Through meeting deadlines and conducting regular quality control checks, we ensure your project will be an enjoyable and memorable experience.