You may be wondering why I have given Platinum Pro Painters (PPP) a 5/10. And believe me, I am just as puzzled. This project started out great. Todd was so kind, helpful and responsive. A couple of staffing challenges at PPP set the work in our kitchen back a couple of days. I was a bit frustrated that Todd was not able to find a sub to complete my job as scheduled, but I ultimately forgave this. On the day of the cabinet spraying, everything was running smoothly until I realized that the paint was not dry in time for the cabinet door installation. Even our sprayer was aware of this, but said we had to install the cabinets anyway since we had only been scheduled as a 1 day job. As expected, the cabinet install smudged and scratched the paint off in half a dozen spots, including one area about the size of a toonie that is very visible in my living room. I called Todd during the job and told him about the challenges and setbacks. He said it would be no problem to come back and touch up the problem areas. I said I would pay 70% for work to that point and the remaining 30% when PPP came back to complete the job. That was on March 8. Todd's office made 1 attempt to contact me about 2 weeks later. I missed the call and therefore the window of opportunity that was offered for the touch ups that day. I texted and emailed Todd after this apologizing for the missed call and attempting to schedule another touch up date. It has now been over 2 months. I have emailed Todd a few times and texted him with no response. My project is still not complete. Needless to say I am very disappointed in how this situation has played out and am now left to figure out how to touch up my cabinets on my own.