HomeStars  >  Fences & Gates in Edmonton  >  S&P construction ltd
How well a company responds to Quote Requests and Reviews.

Reviews for S&P construction ltd

Patrick in Edmonton
1 review Edmonton, AB

My fence blew over in a storm. I'm handy enough to be dangerous (mostly to myself), but I'm also very busy. I'm a software engineer and my job is demanding. Likewise my wife has a senior position, we have two small kids, and to top it off we are in the middle of a huge reno of our modest little home (big reno is cheaper than new house - especially when the house is almost paid). So I don't have time to dig holes. I contacted these guys to do the hard part - the posts. I can (and have) put the rest of the fence together myself.

For a simple small job it went sideways, big time. Instead of giving a sob story and complaining, I'm going to offer some lessons learned in the hope it helps someone else.

First, an observation:
I've had big jobs done ($20K+ foundation repair, $25K+ roof repairs), and small jobs (<$1K). It's always the small jobs that cause the most conflict and hassle. I think I've figured out why: diseconomy of scale. Contractors just don't want your small job. From their point of view, small jobs suck. It's a misallocation of resources that could otherwise be more profitably deployed. They just want to do 'good enough' and move on to more profitable big jobs. Frankly, I wish they'd say 'no' to small jobs if they really don't want them.

Anyway, on to the lessons learned:

1. If your contractor doesn't take the time to meet you in person and discuss the job and explain *how* they are going to do the job, then fire them and go elsewhere. Especially for a small job. You need to understand what you are getting and that it meets your expectations. If they avoid meeting you beforehand, It's a sign that they just aren't that into you. Fire them and move on.

2. It's tempting these days to just arrange a small job (like a few fence posts) via email. It's just so easy and you don't have to take time off work etc.. But you really, really want to meet your contractor. Especially for a small job. Especially if you live in a modest house in a working class neighbourhood. By meeting the contractor you can take the measure of the man, so to speak. If they look around at your property with a snobbish sneer, then fire them. They aren't respecting you or your property and the quality and care in their work will reflect that. In other words: they just aren't that into you. Fire them and move on.

3. If you do know something about the work to be done (and let's face it, it's pretty easy to look it up these days), don't assume that the contractor has the same idea of what constitutes a quality job. As a homeowner your incentives are to get the best quality for the best price. The contractors incentives are profit. And sometimes good enough is all they really have any reason to do. Especially in the absence of instructions/agreement to do anything different. If you expected gold standard work and get 'good enough', you're going to be dissatisfied. Better to figure it out early on and set expectations explicitly, or fire them and go elsewhere. This is especially relevant to small jobs thanks to the diseconomy of scale at play. From e.g. a fence contractors point of view, a job for seven fence posts is a waste if the same crew and equipment could go to a job site, stay put, and install seventy or seven hundred posts. So face it. If you have a small job, right from the start they just aren't that into you and you're more likely to get 'good enough'.

4. Take the time to drop in on the work in progress. Many construction workers are great people who respect their customers property, but construction is also a dumping ground for people who can't do much more than operate a shovel or swing a hammer. If you are present, it deters those bad apples from e.g. wrecking your garden 'cause it's easier to push the wheelbarrow over the flower bed than to go around.

As for the quality of the work for my small job ... I can't say it was bad. It was 'good enough'. It wasn't what I expected or wanted for the eye-popping prices being charged, but because of the mistakes I made in handling the contractor I didn't get what I wanted. I have to own that.

Two major problems with my job where that they unnecessarily wrecked my garden (trampled plants, blob of concrete in the bed). The second and biggest complaint, and the primary reason for the low rating, is due to the way their foreman/boss dealt with me. I don't think it's dignified to air dirty laundry, so I'll leave it at that. I paid them full price to make them go away. It wasn't worth a few hundred bucks to continue trying to haggle with them. I suspect they felt the same way. After all, it was a small job and I'm pretty sure they just weren't that into it. So we're even.

Good luck with your project. Especially if it's a small job.

Job Price

Patrick. You send me a email stating that you wouldn't be paying 1/3 of the bill. That would mean not only is my company not Making money, it would have cost me to do your job. You didn't email me with any concerns, your fence was built when I showed up to take a look at the work my employees did. You just said your not paying. You sent us a email saying that you don't care about your garden, cause it was full of weed, rotted wood, piles of dirt! ""I wish I could post a picture of your back yard"" the only thing wrong with your job was it could have used a little more concrete, which I would have sent a employee to top up for you. My employees tried their best to not do any damage, but it was hard to work around all the dirt piles, rotted wood, weeds etc etc.

I went to your house to see the problem of why you wouldn't pay me 1/3 of my bill and you came out angry, stabbing my chest with your finger and telling me to get the F off your property ( I took out my camera phone and video taped this situation) spitting and swearing in my face, poking me in the chest. I took the video cause you were so raged, I was afraid you were going to throw a punch . All I wanted was to see the issues and see if we could deal with them to close the job out. You didn't want me to even look. Our company has good reviews cause we take pride in our work and our customer service.

It's hard for anyone to fix a situation when they're not made aware of any issues. I would recommend letting the contractor know of any issues once noticed, not later. Give them the option to fix issues and when they show up to look.

Clayton in Edmonton
1 review Edmonton, AB

Very impressed with how my deck and fence turned out! Great workmanship and good guys to deal with. Communication was great and cleaned up everyday. I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a deck or fence.

1 review Edmonton, AB

If you want your deck to look like it was made by novices, spend a lot of money on it, deal with lots of attitude, and then pay them extra to fix what shouldn't have happened in the first place, in addition to cleaning up after their mess yourself, go with this company.

Job Price

Hi Bradly, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with our company. The deck was built by a red seal journeymen carpenter who used 3 ply beams with 16 inch joints spacing. In addition to cleaning up our own materials, We also removed your additional garbage including dirt from your old planter, 4" drainage pipe, old siding and lattice without additional charge. We also gave you, free of charge, an additional stair. We are not sure how else we could have satisfied your expectations.

underwood in Spruce Grove
1 review Edmonton, AB

Wow. We are so impressed with the efficiency and workmanship of S&P Construction and crew. Our new fence, built in September, not only improves our yard but brings the appearance of the neighbourhood up significantly. We were amazed that they were able to start and finish the fence (both sides of yard) in less than one week! We are totally satisfied with the job and hope that Sterling's company will want to do our inside renovations when we are ready to start that task! Great crew. Thanks guys!

Job Price

It was our pleasure to work with you. I'm very happy to hear everything turned out good. Please let us know if you every need our services again.

mandy
1 review Edmonton, AB

We are very happy with the outcome of our deck! We had a idea and a vision, S & P Construction helped it come to life. The quote was fair. Everyone we met from the company were friendly and knowledgeable. Sterling was always accessible to contact at any time. Overall we have a awesome custom cedar deck and feel we made the right choice going with S & P Construction.

Job Price

Thank you for the kind words and review. It was a real pleasure to help bring your deck to life. You guys were great to work with. Thank you for your business :)

ameynan
1 review Edmonton, AB

Sterling and his team did an excellent job on our patio and we couldn't be happier with the results. We highly recommend them for Concrete Patio installations.

Job Price

Thank you for the review. When I came to quote your composite deck and realized it wasn't the best fit, it was great that we could offer you something more fitting like your beautiful stamp concrete patio

lddoanuts
1 review , AB

Old patio deck was deteriorating and had to be demolished and removed.New deck with new substructure and Fibron PVC decking in its place.Sizable job.

Job Price

Thanks for the review Lynn. It was a pleasure to help you renovated your deck. It was a fun project and turned out great.

1 review Simcoe County, ON

We had a fence built by this company and are very satisfied as well as a stamped concrete patio subcontracted through this company and are also very pleased. We got great value for our money.

Job Price

Always happy to hear about happy customers. Glad we could help you with your project

John & Lisa Ditchburn in Edmonton
1 review Edmonton, AB

we were looking for a back yard upgrade, our fence was falling apart and our deck was on the ground and rotting. We had multiple quotes from reputable companies, some much higher price, some ( 1 actually ) lower priced. They all had one thing in common......they would not quote a completion or a start date.
S & P came and quoted a price, a start and completion date, as well as some design idea's that would make it an original project. They DID deliver exactly what they said, fence/ deck in 4 days........Done. The deck is a kidney design, and the fence a 6 foot structure reminiscent of a castle fence. We have recommended them to anyone who has seen our back yard......everyone is just amazed on the job they did. Thank you S & P......great crew, great values.....one of a kind.........no B.S.

Job Price

Thanks for the great review John. Glad to hear your still happy with everything a year later. Do you have any before and after pics of that deck? It was a one of a kind and my guys had a great time building it. I remember you being out there with us, helping shape and design it. I guess that's the best way to make sure you're 100% happy with it haha.

clearimages
1 review Edmonton, AB

We replaced a 25+ yr fence in older established neighbourhood with some unique challenges. While S&P was not the lowest of estimates, Sterling provided sensible solutions to removal and design solutions for new fence installation. He gave the most confidence that his crew could provide professional work with minimal disruption to ours and our neighbors yards. His crew lived up their billing and the work was done in a timely manner even with a few rain delays.

Job Price

Thank for the review Craig. It was a pleasure to work with you. Making those custom post to concrete adapters was a new thing for us. But I wanted to come up with a solution to a common Problem that we run into, fence over concrete. I hope you enjoy your new fence for another 25 years. Please give us a call, if you need any of our other services

More about S&P construction ltd

Edmonton top fence and deck builders and developers, S&P Construction. The professional deck and fence builder in Edmonton, St. Albert and area. We are one of the best fence and deck companies in the city of Edmonton, who develop and install wooden and composite decks, wooden and vinyl fences. You can depend on S&P for contracting or building any residential wood fence or deck. Our work includes all types of wood fence and deck building and construction, from start to finish. In addition to our deck and fence building, construction and installation, we install deck railings; regal or aluminum railings, glass railings, LED lighting, and of course, we do posts installation. Keep in mind that when we install your fence, we design, build, and install your gates. And when we build your deck, we install your desired stairs and railings. We also design and build patios, gazebos, and custom decks in Edmonton and the surroundings.

S&P construction company is one of the top deck & fence builder in Edmonton, Fort Saskatchewan, & St. Albert. Take a look through our gallery to view some of the range of fence and decks projects we have completed around including Edmonton. You'll will find composite decking, known as maintenance free decks, as well as cedar, and pressure treated decks. Our wood or composite decks, vinyl fences, and all of our wood privacy fencing are done the right and the efficiency way. We are eager to fence Edmonton, and to develop and build any deck in Edmonton and area. We look forward to meeting and exceeding your deck and fence building expectation.

Fence Builder, Edmonton fence, fence, edmonton, Deck edmonton, fence edmonton, fence construction, Deck builders, fence builders, wood deck, wood fence, vinyl fencing, privacy fences