Vala Home Improvements

Reviews for Vala Home Improvements

finnigan in Cumberland
finnigan in Cumberland

basement

We had several contractors look at this project but instantly felt comfortable with Richard's professionalism and willingness to work with our ideas and listen to our concerns.

As the project progressed we were increasingly impressed with the sub-trades he employed. As a matter of fact, the electrical inspector actually praised the job the electricians had done.

Not only was their work of high quality but the job site was always left
neat and tidy at the end of the day. The route to the basement was protected with carpeting preventing our hardwood and carpeted stairs
from harm.

When we discovered a mold problem during the construction Richard
called in highly trained professionals to deal with the problem and ensure that we will have the peace of mind that we will never have to deal with a reoccurrence.

Throughout the project Richard dealt with our qualms and queries with
good humor. He helped us tweak our ideas and provided optional ideas
when ours weren't workable.

The end result is a professionally finished basement that has the "wow "
factor as well as being comfortable and practical. Also, the value of our property has been greatly increased.

Our only complaint is that when people come to visit they don't want to leave!

Thank you for the kind words. We're thrilled to have made your basement into the space you wanted. Thank you for putting your trust in us.

Danielle in Ottawa
Danielle in Ottawa

Hardwood Floor installation

Sept 3, 2017 - A couple of years ago I wrote the comment below and would like to recant my unfair and negative comments. This was new to me and I've since seen other renovations that have gone horribly wrong and where the contractor was not as kind and dedicated to their client as Richard was to us. I've learned a lesson about being more patient and forgiving and realizing that renovations can be hard on the contractor as well. I would recommend Richard in a heartbeat and would hope that, in future, should we need his services, he would consider us as clients again. My sincerest apologies Richard as you are truly one of a kind and did go out of your way to make everything right! I should have known better as you were recommended by an outstanding friend who clearly knows you for the professional that you are.
I hope that you will accept my heartfelt apology.
Danielle

Hardwood Floors
Floor Laying & Refinishing review in Ottawa Almost 2 years ago
Vala Home Improvements
We had hardwood flooring installed on our main and 2nd floors. The job started on Sept 21, 2015 and was meant to take 3.5 days at the most. The job was not completed until Oct 21st...ie. 31 days....

Thanks for the comments Danielle. It's much appreciated.

Bev & Mike in Ottawa
Bev & Mike in Ottawa
1 review Ottawa, ON

Full renovation of bungalow (kitchen, bathrooms, etc)

After purchasing our bungalow in the spring of 2016, we decided to complete a full renovation of the main level. We consulted with several contractors but in the end we selected Vala Home Improvements as we immediately felt that Richard could provide us with the results we hoped to achieve. He did not disappoint!

Our project consisted of a complete remodel of the main level, including relocating a staircase, new bathrooms, new kitchen, and creating an open concept main living area by removing several walls. A project of this scope required a significant amount of organization, planning, and attention to detail. Richard excelled at all three.

He clearly outlined the timeline of the project and we were kept up-to-date on the progress. When problems arose (as they do with any renovation), Richard explained the issue and offered solutions that rectified the problem in a timely and correct manner. He obtained all the necessary building permits and completed all the necessary safety inspections. It was incredibly comforting to know that zero corners were cut and that the end result met all building codes.

The contractors Richard hired were professional and completed excellent work. We were especially impressed with Don and Paul’s work on the tile and hardwood feature in our entrance – the end result was truly spectacular! Richard ensured that our home was left incredibly clean, tidy, and safe on a daily basis. This was very important to us as we were living in the basement during the entire renovation.

In addition to accommodating our request to remain in our home during the renovation, Richard was also able to complete the majority of the work before our non-negotiable deadline: the birth of our first child. We were thrilled that we were able to live to our main level upon returning from the hospital with our firstborn. We can say with 100% certainty that Richard’s primary goal is client satisfaction. He routinely goes above and beyond.

We are beyond thrilled with the end result of the project. Our ‘new’ home is everything we hoped for and more. He transformed a closed off and dated bungalow into a light filled open concept, modern space. We are excited to raise our family in a home that is now customized for our needs.

We highly recommend Richard and look forward to working with him again in the future. We already have a few ideas for round two!

We are very happy to have been able to transform your house into something special. It was a pleasure working with you and being there when the 3 of you came home.

Fion & Emma in Ottawa
Fion & Emma in Ottawa

Kitchen & Dining Room Renovation

Richard came highly recommended to us from our financial adviser for our kitchen/dining reno. He managed the whole project from the outset with attention to detail and expertise, provided excellent advice where decisions were required on matters ranging from design, plumbing, electrics and windows to mention but a few. We were very pleased with the work done by the contractors Richard hired to perform the various tasks, not least because they always left the house clean and tidy, especially important because we have small children. When issues arose, Richard always presented us with options and advised accordingly - his wealth of experience became apparent very quickly which was very reassuring.
We are extremely pleased with the end result: it has transformed our living space by opening up a previously closed kitchen which means as a family we can now cook and socialise in a beautiful, light, open-plan space where previously the person cooking was stuck in the dark, narrow kitchen. We would not hesitate recommending him to anyone undertaking a renovation project, and were so pleased with the work we decided to hire Richard to renovate our deck and outside space.

We are happy to have been able to transform your kitchen into something you enjoy everyday. Thank you for allowing us to renovate and extend your deck as well.

Bathroom Renovation

Coming off the heels of really horrible experience with a previous contractor (resulting in settlement court), I was apprehensive about getting to job done and done well.

However, after getting several quotes I decided to go with Richard as he and his team were knowledgeable, professional and had the best overall understanding of the project.

Since I was using a type of tile with a unique application process, I wanted to make sure I chose the right company. The other renovators told me (without much confidence) that they didn’t know much about this particular tile application but felt they could do it. Richard was the only one that asked if he could bring his tile expert in to see the tile before he committed to the project.

Upon seeing the tile, Don knew exactly how to install the tile and was able to answer all my questions with much knowledge and confidence.

Richard, Don and Val’s professionalism, workmanship and the overall experience were great. I will recommend their services to anyone who needs a renovator (in fact I already have).

Jennifer
Jennifer
3 reviews Ottawa, ON

Basement Structural Work

After getting quotes from a few contractors, we chose Richard for our basement structural work because we felt he was professional, communicated well with us, and had the best overall understanding of the project and costs. Before he provided a quote, he had all the sub-contractors involved as well as his engineer review the project. Throughout the project, he took the time to explain what was being done and kept us updated as to the timeline at all times. He took the initiative to suggest further small jobs that would improve our space without pressuring us to purchase "add-ons". His quote was accurate and there were no surprises. His crew was hard-working, polite, and always kept the house clean. I do not hesitate to refer to friends to Richard.

Wayne from Ottawa
Wayne from Ottawa
3 reviews Ottawa, ON

man/WOMAN Cave: Finished Basement (Bathroom, Bar, Gym, & Entertainment Room)

As a homeowner, it is so important to find a contractor that you can trust... I feel like I have found a contractor I can trust in Richard and Vala Home Improvements.
I had started the finishing of my basement on my own and decided that I would out source the project after the rough-in inspection with the city. I discovered Sarah Kidder on Homestars.com and she introduced us to Richard (Vala Home Improvements).
I was immediately impressed with Richard's professionalism, estimating methodology, and attention to details. In particular, I appreciated the fact that before a quotation was put before me - he had all of his sub-trades assess the project and provide their input.
Upon initiation of the project, Richard always took the time to explain the work being done and the keep me apprised of the schedule and any impacts. No corners were cut. Our best interests were always clearly kept in mind. The finished project is high quality and everyone who visits our home is impressed. We love the space and Vala Home Improvements made it happen.
The project included our home gym (with a recess in the ceiling for our pull-up bars), an entertainment area, a bathroom, and a bar. Not included in the cost: design fees, accents, furniture, cabinetry, fireplace, and laminate flooring (which were contracted/purchased separately).
We are already dreaming up our next project with Sarah and Richard! (So don't be surprised if they are busy)

It was our pleasure to help transform your basement into a great family space. Enjoy!

Marcel & Anne Chiasson from Ottawa
Marcel & Anne Chiasson from Ottawa

Back Yard Project

We had a need for a new back deck, fencing, walkway, gazebo pad, landscaping, lighting, garage entry, and soffit lighting. The project went smoothly, including a two week holiday for one of the sub contractors. General contracting was excellent and all subs hired were extremely professional, courteous, and tidy. We are very happy with the work completed.

Richard is the contractor who did our kitchen, hallway, and powder room reno the summer before (excellent) and that is why we hired him again for this project.

More to come as Valahome begins a reno on our guest bathroom!

You truly do have an Oasis in your backyard. So glad to have had the opportunity to work with you again.

Susan in Ottawa
Susan in Ottawa

Front Step Repair and Replacement

I met Richard via Twitter and his expertise and friendly manner immediately sold me. We got a few quotes but Richard's was the most thorough, for repair and re-grading of our front step area to fix some water issues, and replacement of the concrete front step and railing.

Richard's team was amazing from beginning to end...professional and courteous at all times. The job site was kept immaculate. Richard is an exceptional communicator and checked in with us via text or in person every day of the job to let us know the progress.

We just had our first big thaw and rainfall and no leaks! And the step and new railing looks amazing.

I highly recommend Vala Home Improvements for all your renovation needs.

Thank you for the feedback. We're glad you were happy with your experience and that we solved the water problem.

Sylvie from Ottawa
Sylvie from Ottawa
2 reviews Ottawa, ON

Electrical and lighting for outdoor project

ValaHome Improvements took take care of all the electrical requirements for our backyard transformation project. They presented us will great design ideas to highlight the landscape work being undertaken. They provided and installed all landscape lighting, electrical outlets, chandelier, security lighting and set it up so we can control it all off our tablet or Smartphone. The crew worked collaboratively with our landscape contractor to ensure a seamless implementation. We appreciated their attention to detail and respect for the schedule and our time. Richard is an excellent general contractor, seamlessly coordinating all the different working parties. We would highly recommend this company!

We would not hesitate to use them again for any project.

We hope you enjoy the way the overall landscape lighting design let's you change the mood in your backyard at the touch of a button. Thanks for including us in your project.

More about Vala Home Improvements

Vala Home Improvements undertakes a full suite of projects and repairs with an absolute focus on quality workmanship and total client satisfaction. We assist our clients with projects such as kitchens, bathrooms, basements, flooring, painting and various repairs. We also provide integrated design services to ensure that the client gets ...