Mark H Smith Designs Inc.

Formerly Markedly Better Design, Drafting & Permit Services
280 St. George Street Suite 504 Toronto ON M5R 2P7
Drafting Service
Mark H Smith Designs Inc.

Reviews for Mark H Smith Designs Inc.

Garage Design

We engaged Mark as we were having trouble building a garage and could not be happier with his work. We had received planning permission from City Planning based on the plans of another designer. But during the construction process the building inspector noticed some of the measurements were wrong and would not approve the construction. When the original designer refused to return our phone calls Mark stepped in, re-baselined the entire project, and went above and beyond to give us the advice and do things right. It was only after working with Mark that we realised just how bad the original designer really was and the steps a proper designer should take. We are eternally grateful and would recommend him in a heartbeat.

Wow, Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure to work with you and your partner on this project and I am glad that we were able to rectify this project from the challenging position you were both in when you initially found me on Homestars.

Pat in Toronto
Pat in Toronto

House Design

My wife and I are so pleased with Mark's work. He helped us through our design evolution, was patient, full of ideas and perspectives that we found very helpful. He was keen to adapt as our plans evolved and let the project become what we wanted rather than what he thought should happen. His perspective attention to detail and his ability to convey what he was considering as he developed the plans made us comfortable. His personal attendances at the site and his willingness to spend the time to understand what we were thinking made us both fans both of Mark and his work. We cannot overstate how much he impressed us.

Wow, thank you very much Pat for the kind words about your experience working together with me on this project. I am very grateful for being given the opportunity to work with you and your wife on this project to design the home of your dreams. You both are such thoughtful and caring people and these qualities truly helped shape the beautiful home that we designed for you to enjoy and share with your family and friends for many years to come. Excited to see the construction phase begin next year.

Kevin in Hamilton
Kevin in Hamilton
2 reviews Hamilton, ON

Architect Service

I had worked with Mark for the past almost 2 years. I can't even begin to explain how great he was. Simply put, he is one of the best person I've ever met so far. But that's putting it very mildly. Simply saying that he is a great designer would be a huge understatement. I highly recommend him to everybody who's going to renovate a house or build a new home.

Wow, thank you Kevin for the kind words, it was a wonderful project to be a part of and I appreciate working so closely and continuously with you and wife to design your dream home. I am glad that we were able to go all the way to the LPAT(OMB) and win to overrule the minor variance rejection at the city level in order to ensure you could build your dream home the way you really wanted it to be built. Excited to see the project develop as construction begins this month.

Anna in Burlington
Anna in Burlington
1 review Burlington, ON

New House design and plan

We were referred to Mark through a Toronto area construction manager knowing that our project was to design a new home for us in the Grand Bend area. Our starting point with Mark was a conversation on site to get to know our initial vision, lifestyle and approximate budget. Then using our comments he created a number of home designs to begin refining our thoughts. We achieved a final design of about 4000 sq feet of construction that we were excited to move to the permit stage. Our new home will be located in the country and as a surprise to the local builder, ourselves and Mark we needed to apply for a minor variance. Here Mark shone in handling all the paperwork and attending local meetings 2 hours away. He established a very positive working relationship with the local building department and followed through to the approval. We are now breaking ground thanks to him.
Mark is knowledgeable and creative, detail-oriented and timely, conscientious and very patient. It was a pleasure to have him at our side through this journey. We are happy to highly recommend his services.
Greg and Anna

Wow, thank you Anna for the kind words. It was a pleasure to work with you and Greg on this project. You both brought so much excitement, curiosity and most importantly effort into creating this dream home that I have to say it was a team effort all the way. I am glad that despite setbacks with the building department, construction is now under way. I look forward to coming by for a tour when the building is finished.

Andrea in Toronto
Andrea in Toronto

2 Storey Addition & Reno

We had a very clear idea of what we wanted in terms of layout and design for a 2-storey addition & renovation to our 100+ yr old semi. We wanted to find someone who could execute our vision and had thorough knowledge of all the city rules. Mark definitely fit the bill as he had knowledge of the city codes and helped us navigate towards a plan that would avoid the committee of adjustment (something that a separate designer had told us was not possible). Sure enough, we got our permits no problem at all without needing to go through CofA. Throughout the process, he was extremely patient, offered some great suggestions, was kind and understanding, with a very professional style of communication. We had a very challenging time with our contractor - during which, Mark was so very quick and helpful in trying to help us problem solve issues. If ever there were any adjustments needed to be made to the drawings, he was very prompt to correct. We’d definitely recommend Mark and are grateful to have gotten the chance to work with him. Thank you Mark for helping us push the project forward and help our vision come to life!

Wow, Thank you so much for the kind words Andrea. You and your husband are both standout special human beings to me. Your honesty, decisiveness and clear vision were a pleasure to work with throughout the project. I am glad that despite the contractor challenges, we were all able to work together and persist until your vision came to life. I hope you both enjoy your beautiful new home.

Norma in Marmora
Norma in Marmora
1 review Meaford, ON

addition to old farmhouse

Mark was a delight to work with on my project from the get-go. He was attentive to my described needs & desires, & offered up several solutions by way of drawings.
He took great care to make sure he had correct measurements for the entire house.
We spoke & emailed a few times & I always felt that he was on it! And more importantly he was able to deal with my changes as we went forward & openly accepted my input.
He provided drawings as well as applying for the permits & all pertinent permit application information.
I would definitely recommend him!

Thank you Norma, it was a pleasure to work with you on this project and I am excited to see the finished entrance addition and 2 car attached garage in the fall when it is completed.

Pawel in Toronto
Pawel in Toronto

Complete Drawings & Permits Duplex Conversion

Mark created a complete set of drawings, and obtained city permits to convert a single family home to a legal duplex.

Why work with Mark?

1. Took the time to understand the project, and returned to the property a several times to discuss/address concerns in person.

2. Knowledgable - This word is often thrown around, but when speaking with Mark about the project, it was evident he has lots of experience in the field.

3. Expedient - It's not often that a contractor has to chase a client, but there were several instances where Mark completed work so expeditiously, and had to follow-up with us to provide additional details/decisions.

4. Honest - I've had both good and bad experiences with contractors in the past, but there was never a situation where I questioned Mark's integrity.

5. Nice guy - This may seem like an odd item to include, but Mark is not "rough around the edge's", he's a very genuine and nice person to work with.

Mark is a true professional, and I will strongly recommend him to family and friends in the future.

Wow, Thank you Pawel for the very kind words. It was a pleasure to work with you and your parents on this project. I am excited to see the basement apartment completed so your parents can enjoy some extra income that will make their lives a little easier moving forward.

Jennifer  in Owen Sound
Jennifer in Owen Sound
1 review Owen Sound, ON

Home addition and Reno

Mark was great at providing us with various plans/drawings for our home addition and renovation. He showed us ways to save money and use the space that we had more effectively. He was great to work with and listened to our ideas and concerns throughout the process from measurements to building permit.

Thank you Jennifer, I am very grateful we could put our heads together and refine the proposed design options to create an addition that best suited your needs while taking advantage of your property attributes and existing building. One day soon, you'll get to walk into your lovely new kitchen, enjoy the extra space of being able to move around and smile knowing all your children now have their own bedrooms upstairs. Let spring come early and the construction begin.

Maggie in Old Toronto
Maggie in Old Toronto

Tibben/Thede Farmhouse Beautification/Renovation

We have an old farmhouse,circa 1880. It’s too small. We are adding a family room,master bedroom,with en-suite and walk in closet. And of course,the farmer needs a new office. To be renovated is the kitchen and mud room.
Mark did a great job of listening to all of our wants and making it reality. He came back several times to the site and was very helpful with all our changes. We have a builder...Dennison Homes, from Port Elgin. Mark worked well with too. The builder seemed quite satisfied with the house plan.
Now all we have to do is build! We hope to break ground this May.
Thanks Mark for all your help.

G. T. J. T.

Thank you so much G.T., It has been a pleasure to work with you and your partner to design these additions for your family home. I am glad we could design solutions that provided you both with what you needed and wanted for this project, office included. Excited for you both to begin building this project in early spring.

sjalees in North York
sjalees in North York

Turning Single Family Home Into a Legal Duplex

We purchased a house downtown that we wanted to turn into a legal duplex. We hired Mark to draw up the plans and submit to the City. During the design process Mark was very patient and efficient. He also came up with some innovative ideas. The plans were submitted and were approved by the City without ANY changes. We highly recommend Mark. He is detail oriented; a very good communicator and was always ready and willing to answer our questions. It was a sheer pleasure to know him and work with him.

Thank you so much Sayed, I really appreciate your kind words. The pleasure was all mine and I felt like a part of your family since our initial meeting. I am glad that everything went so smoothly and I am excited to see the finished project. All the best through the rest, Mark

More about Mark H Smith Designs Inc.

We specialize in designing homes, drafting the necessary construction drawings and then filing for the required building permits. This includes designing for new buildings, renovations, additions, garages, basement conversions into suites and single family home conversions into legal duplexes. We also provide client support and representation where a minor variance is required by the Committee of Adjustment. Do you have an upcoming construction project on your mind? Contact us today and we can offer you some helpful tips for getting started. Please email info@markHsmith.ca or call 647 609 0333