Tall Basements

Reviews for Tall Basements

JoQ
JoQ

Underpinned basement

Kevin and his team were great until the end of the project. During the dig they were awesome, good communication, the worksite was kept super clean considering it was a dig out, the guys on site were great too. We lived at home during the work. We had to replace the old clay drains from the city and Kevin was great about finding a plumbing and drains company for this quickly. He also recommended the HVAC company, who did our infloor heating before Tall Basements poured the slab. My only complains come at the end of the project, I expressed concern the drains for the bathroom the toilet flange and shower were very close, and was told they were standard, they are super close and now our shower has to be narrow. Tall Basements also knew we wanted to polish the concrete but the finished pour ended up pretty poor quality- there are rough sections and the edges and around the support columns and drains were not even finished. The guys even left the machine on the concrete floor leaving blade marks like helicopter blades stamped into the floor! Since the pour it’s been hard to get ahold of them with these concerns and chase them down for plumbing invoices for rebate programs. Good underpinners but a frustrating finish.

Caroline in Toronto
Caroline in Toronto

Basement waterproofing

Tall Basements came highly recommended by a neighbour and after speaking with 3 other contractors, we were impressed by Tony. Unfortunately we have had problems in the area they waterproofed and an unprofessional response from the company. When we experienced basement flooding less than 2 years after the work was done, we called Kevin and Tony in January. It took repeated calls and emails before they finally came to look at the problem IN APRIL. Kevin recommended interior waterproofing ad a solution and said he would send a quote the following week. It's now August and we have received nothing despite our follow up phone calls. We have never had these issues with a contractor and are surprised as well as disappointed.

J2kilbur
J2kilbur
5 reviews Pickering, ON

Amazing Basement Underpinning

Tall Basements has been a pleasure to work with. From walking us through through everything, managing safety, keeping the place extremely clean and delivering on what they promised - when they promised, we are extremely pleased with how the construction phase went and the end result.
We also worked with other vendors recommended by Tall Basements - having that pre-existing relationship made each phase of this project run smoothly without me having to be a project manager.

When looking for someone to dig out our basement we wanted a company that specialized in this complex work. After meeting with multiple vendors, Tall Basements clearly demonstrated their expertise. We could not be happier!

Bronwyn
Bronwyn

Underpin and damp proof house

I met with a lot of companies before signing on with Tall Basements to underpin and damp proof our house.

I chose them because they are innovators in the industry. The forms and methods they use maximize the space (the new foundation is flush with the old wall) so you get every inch of possible space. They included insulation and piping for in floor heating in their scope of work AND they guaranteed the work for the life of the house.

What we didn't know was how lucky we were to have them work on our house! We got a super respectful team and given how mucky the work is, an incredibly tidy crew. The site supervisor made sure our neighbours were happy, optimized bin pick up and removal so they could be working every day and kept the project on track. Kevin was on the ground for inspections and always available by text and phone.

Kevin had great recommendations on how to lay out the living space, where to put the laundry room, bathroom and furnace room, all of which were on point.

Any people Tall Basements recommended (HVAC) were excellent - and everyone stands by their work.

TB was on budget and absolutely fair about any change requests we made.

We LOVE the space we've gained by the space Tall Basements helped create for us and would not trust anyone else but this team to do this type of work! Would highly recommend them and if I do ever underpin again, would call them first.

Earl in Riverdale
Earl in Riverdale

Basement Underpinning

I contracted Tall Basements to underpin, waterproof, install new drains and sump pump in my 100 year-old, semi-detached, down-town house.

I chose them in part due to their technical approach to the project, which was well explained to me at the beginning of the project. The team was well organized and methodological in their implementation of the various tasks. They were always polite, professional and helpful.

I was very happy with the results and would either use them again, or recommend them to others.

aya mcmillan in Toronto
aya mcmillan in Toronto

Basement underpinning and full renovation/refinishing

Kevin and his team met with us when we could barely get any contractors in the city to call us back. We liked the fact that they focused and specialized on one thing—and at the highest level. He understood our vision and thoroughly detailed the entire process.

Once the team was onsite, they were incredibly professional: tidy, respectful, quiet (as possible, considering there are jackhammers and drilling) and efficient.

We had a hard deadline for them to finish by Christmas eve - with a guarantee that the heat would be reconnected by then- and true to his word, they did it.

I am so pleased with the space - the ceilings are so much higher than I ever imagined, it's completely tight and waterproof and the quality of their 'product' is incredible. I would absolutely not hesitate to recommend Tall Basements again.

The only reason i'm not giving a 100% rating is that, as echoed in some other reviews, Kevin can be a bit lacking in communication. For example, it took several months and many calls/voicemails and emails for his team to finally arrange to pick up their equipment and rubbish from our yard which included our old furnace. It was a bit of a pain and an eyesore but to nothing that would stop me from working with them again.

k8lloyd in Toronto
k8lloyd in Toronto

Underpinning and creation of basement apartment.

Kevin failed to live up to his promises. His incompetence in managing the project has resulted in delays, frustration and financial hardships. The project has taken 2 years to complete and we are now unable to get Kevin to address the list of deficiencies for the final inspection. Despite the fact tha the list was provided to him on December 14th and it is now Jan 24th, we have had no information from Kevin on progress or when the inspector will be booked. He continually ignores text messages and fails to return phone calls. The lack of professionalism is shocking. The lack of respect for the vulnerable place that he puts his clients is disheartening. We regret choosing Tall Basements and strongly suggest that anyone interested in renovations look to other companies.

Great job underpinning and water proofing

These guys are upstanding business people which is hard to find these days. I signed a contract and paid a deposit 2 years ago but had to cancel my original contract when I found out I would not be able to duplex my house and create the basement apartment I was hoping. Kevin suggested he return the deposit until I sorted out what I was going to do. That meant the world to me and when we decide to go through with underpinning, Tall Basements certainly got the business again. Kevin suggested a Window Well and it looks beautiful and feels less like a basement when we are in the rec room. The ceilings are almost 8ft high and both Tony and Kevin returned to do a couple of very small things after we had paid the contract in full. You can trust them to get the job done and the building inspectors respect their work. Kevin helped navigate the city building department to get all permits closed. I was extremely thankful for the help.

Looking for Basement Renovation pros in Toronto?