Sterling Painters

Nicole in Pickering
Nicole in Pickering
1 review Pickering, ON

main floor house painted

Christine was great from start to finish. The painters were very professional and did an excellent job. We were extremely happy with everything. She will be painting my parents house next.
Thanks Christine.

Cheers,
Nicole

Thank you Nicole for the wonderful review. I look forward to painting your parents house soon. Thanks Christine

Robin from Ajax
Robin from Ajax
1 review Ajax, ON

Repeat client

Think this is the fourth or maybe fifth time we have used Christine and Sterling, will be obvious from that statement alone that we are more than happy with their services. They undertake jobs that other painters will refuse to quote on, they are professional to the Nth degree. Their staff are polite, friendly and more than competent.

Private User reviews Whitby, ON

Mixed bag....

I've left a little time since the job (March/April) to reflect on the experience and try and provide as balance and fair review as possible. Context of the job was a full house paint of a large 4 bed home (including wood trim in top 2 levels of house, basement concrete flooring paint and front door) prior to a home sale.

P.S Per comment from Business - the below review is not mine, nor related to me. This is entirely separate.

The good:

- The price was reasonable enough for such a big job compared to other quotes (middle of the road in context of other quotes we received).

- Christine is really personal and easy to reach. She returns calls, is friendly and very pleasant and I think genuinely wants to please her customers. She was keen to ensure we were happy (more on this below…). On a walkthrough of the job to provide a quote she took notes and measurements of everything (some companies we contacted did not).

- There were delays outside of their control (and ours) and they kept me informed of timelines to address the outstanding work

- We added on further work after they had started and they were able to accommodate our requests. I understand it can be frustrating when the work scope changes but they were very accommodating.

- Christine offered guidance on colours and we were very happy with the end colour, despite having some initial reservations about it.

- We had a minor water tank leak during the painting process when we were not at the property. The painters informed me immediately as well as monitored the issue, for which we were very grateful.

The negative:
- The end result was just – OK. Most of the work was acceptable, but some was just not good. We had a French door painted – while it WAS fully explained to us this was a complicated paint (involving painting around lots of panels of glass) I would guess they did this sloppily and did not fully tape the door the way they should have to professionally paint it. Paint ended up on the glass in places and it did not look neat. It was also chipped at the bottom. There were other instances elsewhere where it is clear they did not tape correctly or fully.

-Generally it is my belief that they vastly underestimated the required time or manpower for the job (and it was a big job!) and as such worked quickly to compensate which led to a lack of quality in some areas. We made a pretty long list of touch ups after they had finished which they willingly came back to address, but even after working through that list that there were still some quality issues. We were working on timelines with our realtor and ultimately signed off on the work, but I would say overall it was not done to the standard that we (or our realtor) expected.

- We had done some painting ourselves prior to beginning the job and as such asked for those specific rooms to be left as they were. Although Christine was clear there was a breakdown in communication with her team and these rooms were painted regardless. This probably was a positive to us (as made the house look more uniform – we were just trying to save a few $$ on rooms that weren’t a necessity) and we weren’t hugely concerned about it with that in mind, but is alarming and suggests communication issues. An apology was given for this.

-The work took a little longer than originally quoted. Although some of this was our doing (as we added work to the scope) and some as mentioned before was outside their control, the base work that was quoted took longer than anticipated.

- We were not consulted about additional costs. We were informed more paint was needed to sufficiently paint the trim but were not consulted on whether we wanted to proceed knowing there would be an additional cost – it was just done. We expressed in writing at the time our objections to this approach and agreed to pay but I object to the principle of the way this was handled. We received a verbal apology for this.

- Some of the paint began to chip and flake away after a few weeks, especially on the trim (which they had purchased more paint for to fully provide comprehensive coverage). Considering the house was vacant this is worrying.

- My details were passed on, without my consent, to at least one additional customer (who called me..!) asking for a referral on the services. It is unacceptable to pass on my details without my permission and we expressed this to Christine.

All this to say – we have mixed feelings about this company. I still do believe Christine to be honest and professional but think there is a communication issue between her and her team and I think they have some quality issues to work on. As you can see most of our issues relate to the work itself and not the ‘business’ side of the arrangement (even when the additional paint and cost issue occurred, I understand this was not Christine who decided to take this approach but her painting team).

I would recommend with a "but you should know....".

Thank you for giving a full explanation of your experience using Sterling Professional Painters & Decorators. I certainly appreciate all your comments and they are well noted. I appreciate you giving a full account both good and bad from the original review listed below. I will definitely make sure moving forward that I strive to address each and every issue as they come up. I am truly sorry I was not able to take care of the issues noted above and I wish you all the best. Christine Hayden

Private User reviews Whitby, ON

Unprofessional sloppy lazy job.

Final bill was almost 30% more than the quote. I understand a little discrepancy but that amount was unacceptable. I believe the quoting procedure was badly done which led to this. Some tapes were not removed and was simply painted over. Parts were left untreated which exposed the previous colour. The worst part was some nail holes were not even patched. It was simply taped over and painted over the tape. Most of these mistakes were located at coners or not noticeable areas thinking the customer will never notice. Very lazy work and unprofessional.

I'm sorry you were unhappy with your job, I will make sure moving forward that I address these problems so that this will not happen again. My priority is always to give a quality job and great customer service. Thank you for your feedback.

The HandyBoydz of Durham
The HandyBoydz of Durham
4 reviews Ajax, ON

whole house painting

I hired Sterling painters to paint my house i was planing on selling the crew was,reliable,professional and clean!
very pleasing experience.
i will be using Sterling Painters for all my painting projects

Thank you for choosing Sterling Professional Painters to paint your house before putting it on the market. I wish you all the best in selling your home. Christine

dave baker in Ajax
dave baker in Ajax
1 review Pickering, ON

Outside painting

We live in a historic home which recently required a complete exterior painting job.This was a big job which required window reglazing,caulking and lots of high reaching work.Sterling Painters prepared an extensive quote.They listened to us and priced the job well.Their crew was simply amazing.They outlined each days work and stopped for guidance and direction many times .The finished product is fantastic.We are very pleased and would recommend them to anyone!

Hi Dave,
Thank you for giving Sterling Professional Painters the opportunity to paint your historic home and allowing us to restore your home back to its natural colors. Thank you for the positive feedback, Christine .

Sherry Adams from Toronto
Sherry Adams from Toronto
1 review Whitby, ON

Painting my entire house

I can't say enough positive things about Christine and her team. The work was outstanding. Great customer service and they went over and above. I am very happy with the job they did for me & would highly recommend them. Thank you!,

Hi Sherry, Thank you for your review with regarding to painting your home recenty, I am happy that you had a positive experience.
Thanks,
Christine

Sonia from Whitby
Sonia from Whitby
1 review Whitby, ON

House Painting (Bungalow - All rooms)

We engaged Christine at Sterling Painters to paint our new home before we moved into the house. All the rooms on the main level (and the walls going to the basement) were painted including:
Kitchen
Bedrooms
Bathrooms
Laundry Room
Living Room (12ft Cielings)
Entrance (12 ft Cielings)

Christine was great to deal with from the very start and her friendly and personal attention won me over.

She was able to provide guidance for colour selections and I had the confidence in her team!

The team was FANTASTIC - very professional and detail oriented. They really and truly went above and beyond and were patient with all of our queries throughout the job.

They were able to get the job done in a very tight timeframe so that we could move in on time.

I would not hesitate to recommend Sterling Painters.

Hi Sonia, I am happy that we were able to help you move in on time and get the job done in a timely manner. I appreciate the feedback, Thank you for the review, Christine

Clay
Clay
3 reviews Ajax, ON

Home Painting

Dealing with Sterling Painters was a very positive experience. We had a two homes to fully paint, a time frame and budget to work within and Christine and her team came through for us with flying colours.

Not only will we use the company again in the future we consider Christine a friend and will recommend "Sterling" to anyone who has a need for painting/home contractor services. They are trustworthy, respectful and competent at what they do. Thanks again Sterling!

Hi Clayton, thank you for the review, I appreciate your honesty and the feedback and look forward to working with you again the future. Best Regards, Christine

Krutarth Shah
Krutarth Shah
8 reviews Ajax, ON

Bedroom Painting

Just recently bought a new house and moved in.Was looking for a great painting company in my area and i found Sterling Painters.The service they provided was great and fantastic especially for a decent price.My bedroom looks more than beautiful now as it is painted.It took the team 1 entire day and it was easy for me to move in my stuff.I would totally recommend this company if you live in the neighbourhood of Ajax.Thank you Sterling Painters for your fantastic service!

Thank you for the review, it was a pleasure working for you.

More about Sterling Painters

Sterling Painters is a decorating company that has been serving Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa, Pickering and the Durham region for over fifteen years. Sterling Painters specializes in servicing homeowners, commercial and industrial facilities in the Durham area. Our main line of work is interior and exterior painting, commercial painting and wallpapering. Therefore, although we are primarily painters and decorators we can carry other remedial work. This makes it easier for you the customer by dealing with just ONE company.
Services that we offer are:
Interior & Exterior Painting

Insulation
Taping
FREE Written Quotations
Unconditional Guarantees
Servicing Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa, Pickering and Durham Region.