Doug Hipkiss Stone Mason

HomeStars  >  Masonry & Bricklaying in Vancouver  >  Doug Hipkiss Stone Mason

Reviews for Doug Hipkiss Stone Mason

1 review Burnaby, BC

Hard landscaping

We hire Doug in Aug/2017 to do some rock work around our garden. The work was to start mid-October. After contacting him Oct. 6, he said he had extended his vacation and then he had the flu. We left voice messages on Oct. 23 & 30th and never received a reply. We sent vm's on Apr 2 & 6th. At some point he called back and said he was really busy. We sent emails on Apr. 2nd & 26th requesting our $2,000 deposit back. He will not return our phone calls or respond to our emails. We then spoke to a neighbour where he had done some work and were told that the service was terrible and they wouldn't recommend him (too bad we hadn't talked to them first). It is now June 26th and we still have not heard from him nor received our deposit. We are retired and on a fixed income and I feel he has taken advantage of us.

This review has had a severe impact upon my business. The simple fact is, the customer did in fact secure my services and I arranged a large bucket, a low loader and a truck, all with drivers after letting the customer know 3 days earlier. That very same night, the customer called to defer the job until early this year, stating that they didn't want any dirt on their driveway, stating also they wanted their deposit back. It was late, I was shocked and tired. After careful thought, despite the deposit having been lost, I decided to shoulder the loss and not speak of my side of things and sent them a txt message stating that they should let me know as soon as they are ready in the new year and I would be ready to go within a short time. In the new year the customer rang to cancel the job and at this time I decided I would not accept the cost of deferring the job. The cost of preparing a large bucket, low loader to take it to the site, the truck to take the large rocks and top soil to recycling and all with drivers had taken the deposit.
Since this review, I have contacted the customer and offered them the deposit back despite the loss, they have declined my offer. I am of course very sorry they are unhappy but, I have tried to rectify this situation and satisfy this customers concerns to no avail sadly.

Guy in Vancouver
Guy in Vancouver

brick repair

I had Doug repair a chimney for a house lift project on a major renovation in New Westminster. Te job required completely rebuilding the bottom section of the chimney to match up with the upper portion.

I enjoyed the work. Thank you for your great review.

Samantha in Delta
Samantha in Delta
1 review Delta, BC

Exterior stonework

Hired Doug to replace the old brickwork around front of house with stone veneer. Took a bit for him to get to the project but was worth the wait. Did a fantastic job and couldn’t be happier with final result

Thank you so very much for the great review. I thoroughly enjoyed the work too.

1 review Burnaby, BC

raised pavers on deck

Good job done. Lot of tediuos cutting work. Pavers were 24''x24" porceline tiles mixed with granite. Doug gave us the idea for how to drain the deck and the edge moulding.
Thank you Doug.

Chimney repair

I manage a few properties in Vancouver. I've had Doug on a few jobs repointing and reflashing chimney, rebuilding chimney, and even reroofing a house. Always punctual, professional, and a joy to deal with. He is easily one of the most knowledgeable and honest contractors that I have ever hired.

Jakub in
Jakub in
1 review Coquitlam, BC

Pillar fixing

Awesome work done by this gentleman! I would recommend him to anyone that needs his type of services. Came when he said he would, put his head down and fixed the work that someone else had done at a great rate.

Chimney Repair.

Doug was. Comissioned to repair cracks in the base of our chimney. He was very courteous and cheerful, he worked hard and in a very organized and professional manner. He strengthened our chimney and repaired the cracks and then re built the top too. I would have no reservations when referring him to anyone who needed a chimney specialist.

1 review New Westminster, BC

Chimney and flashings reapir

We had a leak around our chimney which Doug suggested required a flashing and repointing repair. He completed the flashing repair and the leaking stopped. Much later and after numerous follow up calls the repointing was completed in the early fall. We went away a few weeks later and after a number of heavy rains the leaking started over. We called him and he would not talk responsibility for the leak, despite the fact he was the last person to work on the chimney and did not come out to look at the problem. Upon our return we have made numerous attempts to contact him and he
has failed to respond to our contacts. I would not recommend him
as he does not stand by his work and has extremely poor customer
service.

Michael Wei from North Vancouver
Michael Wei from North Vancouver
10 reviews North Vancouver, BC

Chimney replacement

Doug replaced the brick chimney at my house, he is efficient, fast, and completed the work in a professional manner. He is courteous and possess the right skills to complete the work as agreed.