Masonry & Bricklaying
Masonry & Bricklaying

Reviews for Doug Hipkiss Stone Mason

Private User reviews North Vancouver, BC

Chimney repair

Doug repaired my chimney after I lifted my house. It was tricky to match the hundred-year-old brick on the chimney as it was a distinct purple color. Doug managed to find the brick against all odds and matched up perfectly. I am very happy with Doug‘s work

Thank you for the very kind review. It was great to see the finished job. I look forward to seeing you again on future projects.

PIC in Vancouver
PIC in Vancouver
1 review Vancouver, BC

Brick work around HLL lifeline

I live in a 12 story condominium building. We needed to install two concrete anchors to support a horizontal lifeline, and it was necessary to remove portions of the brick veneer in order to access the concrete. We needed someone who would respond quickly to do the brick work, since it had to be coordinated with the work done by the anchor installers. It was a delicate job, since the bases for the anchors and their retaining bolts cut into the space where the bricks would be reinstalled. We found Doug in Craigslist, and so naturally I was a little anxious at first. However, it was clear as soon as he started working that he is a serious craftsman. He removed the necessary bricks efficiently and expeditiously, and after the the anchors were installed he replaced the bricks perfectly. He cut the bricks where they needed to be cut and positioned them perfectly around the anchors, making a perfect water-proof seal around the anchors which were now protruding though the brick wall. So, the finished job looked great and was exactly what we had hoped for. What else can one say?

Thank you very much for the great review. It was a tricky job but, I'm very pleased your happy with the finished job. Please don't hesitate if you should require a mason in the future.

Private User reviews North Vancouver, BC

Fireplace Insert

We needed to prepare an old fireplace space for gas insert fireplace. Doug kindly squeezed our work in his busy schedule. Professional and easy to work with. Doug finished the work on time and on budget.
We will definitely go back to him for any stone work in the future.

Thank you for the kind review. It was a pleasure working on your fireplace and meeting you and your family.

Kolbe

205-267 10th Street East
North Vancouver
BC
V7L 2E1

Work involved a chimney restoration from the top interior floor, thru the attic and on top of the roof. The work was well done and I would not hesitate to recommend this company for any of your Chimney repair works.

Thank you for the great review. It was a pleasure working on your chimney. Thank you for being such a great customer too. I hope to see you again.

Geebeeyvr in Vancouver
Geebeeyvr in Vancouver
1 review North Vancouver, BC

Chimney repointing

Doug is in my view a great mason. He has years of expertise and it shows in the high quality of work he delivered on our project. In our case we had a water leak into the mantle of the chimney and he fixed that issue while he was repointing. He also helped secure the chimney to the house as it was tilting a bit. The repointing is not an easy job and since the chimney was fairly tall we got a boom in to help him get the job done faster. I briefly thought prior to the job of doing it myself but after seeing how much work goes into it I was happy that Doug did it

Thank you so very much for the great feedback. You are a great customer, I thoroughly enjoyed your project not only because you chose me to do it but, you understood exactly what I had to do. Thank you so very much for the addition of the boom, it made the job so much easier and faster. As a customer I would like to give you a 10 out of 10 too. God bless you and your family.

Private User reviews Burnaby, BC

Hard landscaping

We hire Doug in Aug/2017 to do some rock work around our garden. The work was to start mid-October. After contacting him Oct. 6, he said he had extended his vacation and then he had the flu. We left voice messages on Oct. 23 & 30th and never received a reply. We sent vm's on Apr 2 & 6th. At some point he called back and said he was really busy. We sent emails on Apr. 2nd & 26th requesting our $2,000 deposit back. He will not return our phone calls or respond to our emails. We then spoke to a neighbour where he had done some work and were told that the service was terrible and they wouldn't recommend him (too bad we hadn't talked to them first). It is now June 26th and we still have not heard from him nor received our deposit. We are retired and on a fixed income and I feel he has taken advantage of us.

This review has had a severe impact upon my business. The simple fact is, the customer did in fact secure my services and I arranged a large bucket, a low loader and a truck, all with drivers after letting the customer know 3 days earlier. That very same night, the customer called to defer the job until early this year, stating that they didn't want any dirt on their driveway, stating also they wanted their deposit back. It was late, I was shocked and tired. After careful thought, despite the deposit having been lost, I decided to shoulder the loss and not speak of my side of things and sent them a txt message stating that they should let me know as soon as they are ready in the new year and I would be ready to go within a short time. In the new year the customer rang to cancel the job and at this time I decided I would not accept the cost of deferring the job. The cost of preparing a large bucket, low loader to take it to the site, the truck to take the large rocks and top soil to recycling and all with drivers had taken the deposit.
Since this review, I have contacted the customer and offered them the deposit back despite the loss, they have declined my offer. I am of course very sorry they are unhappy but, I have tried to rectify this situation and satisfy this customers concerns to no avail sadly.

Guy in Vancouver

205-267 10th Street East
North Vancouver
BC
V7L 2E1

I had Doug repair a chimney for a house lift project on a major renovation in New Westminster. Te job required completely rebuilding the bottom section of the chimney to match up with the upper portion.

I enjoyed the work. Thank you for your great review.

Samantha in Delta
Samantha in Delta
1 review Delta, BC

Exterior stonework

Hired Doug to replace the old brickwork around front of house with stone veneer. Took a bit for him to get to the project but was worth the wait. Did a fantastic job and couldn’t be happier with final result

Thank you so very much for the great review. I thoroughly enjoyed the work too.

Private User reviews Burnaby, BC

raised pavers on deck

Good job done. Lot of tediuos cutting work. Pavers were 24''x24" porceline tiles mixed with granite. Doug gave us the idea for how to drain the deck and the edge moulding.
Thank you Doug.

It was my pleasure and knowing your happy with the finished job is very rewarding. Thank you for the great feedback.

Private User reviews Vancouver, BC

Chimney repair

I manage a few properties in Vancouver. I've had Doug on a few jobs repointing and reflashing chimney, rebuilding chimney, and even reroofing a house. Always punctual, professional, and a joy to deal with. He is easily one of the most knowledgeable and honest contractors that I have ever hired.

Thank you for such a great review, it's always a pleasure to do your projects. I look forward to many more in the years to come.

Looking for Masonry & Bricklaying pros in Vancouver?