Abarent Construction Ltd.

Foundations
11472 156 Street NW Edmonton AB T5M 3N2
HomeStars  >  Foundations in Edmonton  >  Abarent Construction Ltd.

Reviews for Abarent Construction Ltd.

Jim in Edmonton
Jim in Edmonton
1 review Edmonton, AB

Weeping tile and sump pump

Leaky basement needed fixing before a renovation. Abarent Construction provided repair options and a competitive quote. The work was done quickly and the crew was courteous. Very happy with the work so far.

Gord
Gord
4 reviews St. Albert, AB

Cracked & leaking foundation repair

I had always suspected the previous homeowner had done a foundation repair job on one wall of our St. Albert home. A melting late-spring snowfall and then constant rain confirmed that the repair had failed and started to leak again behind a bathroom wall. After cutting out drywall, Travis (from Abarent) and I confirmed that it seemed to be a poorly done job, apparently done repaired from the inside. Because the bathroom wall & shower obscured the view of the whole crack, we could not tell if it had been completely repaired. We agreed that an outside repair was the best way to fix the problem long-term.
Abarent was very busy with such a wet spring and unfortunately took a month to schedule the work. Then they had to reschedule for a few days later because they wanted to have a full crew to do the repair as quickly as possible once the digging started. Because there was a power line about 1 meter from the wall, the 25ft. of foundation had to be dug by hand! Once the Abarent crew started digging, they had the foundation dug in a few hours...very hard working crew! The cracks were sealed, the new sump pump was installed and the new tar-like waterproof membrane was applied that day. The next morning, after the membrane had set, the crew returned and applied the Styrofoam protection boards and filled the excavation back in with washed gravel. Then they did a good job of cleaning up the whole jobsite.
Travis returned late that day to inspect the job, answer my questions and replace the plastic bathroom vent hood that had been broken during the job.
Overall, I was very satisfied with the work done, the diligence and speed of the work crew, the comprehensive information package accompanying the quote, the level of communication and the clean-up. The only thing that could have been better was to get the work started sooner, but the weather was a factor in Abarent having a prolonged schedule. Also, be aware that until it dries completely there is a chemical smell to the waterproof membrane, but that fades over a few days.

Michelle in Edmonton
Michelle in Edmonton

foundation repairs

Abarent replaced a section of weeping tile in my 40 year old home. Travis went over everything in detail with me. Staff were professional and quick. Highly recommend this company!

George in Sherwood Park
George in Sherwood Park
1 review Sherwood Park, AB

Foundation Repair and Window Well Installation

Over the past 5 years my wife and I have worked with many contractors as we have been renovating our home. Our experience with Abarent Construction was outstanding. The quotation process was punctual and professional. Once we decided to proceed with the work, Travis communicated with us regularly. the work was done on time with no issues. The crew demonstrated excellent teamwork and cleaned the worksite at the end of each day. Very positive experience.

Jennifer in Edmonton
Jennifer in Edmonton

Foundation Wall Repair

We can not say enough about the experience we had with Abarent. Everything was exactly as it should have been, right from the first phone call to the office and speaking with Nancy (one of the most incredibly kind and helpful company representatives I have ever had the pleasure of encountering) to meeting Kevin for the quotation through to the end of the project. Not only was the quotation reasonable but along with the quote we received a packet filled with information of what a property owner should consider when hiring a foundation company from all of the questions that need to be asked to the references that need to be checked. The incredible professionalism from Kevin and his team was beyond what we had expected. The crew came in and treated our property as if it was their own. They took great care to cover the lawn so as not to damage it with their machinery. They excavated the entire side of the apartment building down to the foundation floor and every step of the repair was completed properly (we received a detailed step by step manifest of the work to be done). The job was finished in two days and they cleaned up everything so thoroughly that you would never even know they were there. Every single member of the crew was exceptionally polite and respectful. I visited the site often and every one of them was fantastically knowledgable about what they were doing not to mention very patient with me and willing to answer all of my questions (and I had many!). I only regret that I did not get all of their names because they absolutely deserve mention. The two that I do know was Andy and Jim but all of them were wonderful. So in conclusion, if it is not already obvious, I absolutely recommend Abarent and would never hesitate to use them again.
Thank you again Abarent for a job well done!

Management
Mavrik Manor

Job Well Done!

Abarent was great to work with. The crew were all professional and hard working. They did the job proficiently and did a fantastic job at cleaning up the yard each day and at the end of the project. I would definitely recommend them to family and friends.

mlhebert from Edmonton
mlhebert from Edmonton
2 reviews Edmonton, AB

Foundation Wall Repair

House was up for pending sale. Day before the inspection, torrential downpour happens. West wall of basement has developed a horizontal crack, water pouring in. Called around for estimates, best service and price (and recommended by a Building Safety Codes Officer for the City of Edmonton - my brother), called Abarent Construction. Kevin Moser and his crew (thanks Lyle and Isaac, etc.) hand dug beside my house, installed new weeping tile, waterproofed the wall and filled the cavity back up with rock. The clean up was great. The buyers are happy, we are happy, and moving to Victoria next month. Would definitely recommend Abarent to anyone needing to fix an "OH NO". We were under a time constraint with possession date of the house, and Kevin and his crew came through.

Paul Roberts from Edmonton
Paul Roberts from Edmonton
2 reviews Edmonton, AB

Foundation, weeping tile install

Absolutely satisfied when Abarent took over our project from a less experienced contractor. The first contractor did everything wrong, including improper weeping tile installation. After several floods in result, Abarent dug a test hole, came up with a plan and executed perfectly. Learn from our mistake and hire this reputable contractor first.

Larry K from Edmonton
Larry K from Edmonton

Weeping Tile Installation

I hired Abarent Construction Ltd. (Edmonton) to excavate approximately half of my home’s foundation and install weeping tile at the level of the foundation footing, install a waterproofing membrane and insulation on the outside wall of the part of the house that had been excavated, install a new sump and pump in the basement and connect the weeping tile into the sump. This review is written for the benefit of anyone considering having this type of work done (by this or any contractor) to help avoid the issues that I experienced. If you are considering getting this type of work done on your home and you don’t have the time or patience to read this entire lengthy review, do yourself a favour and at least read Recommendation 4 at the bottom of this review. I also provide a conditional recommendation for this contractor at the bottom of this review.

The quote that I received from Abarent Construction was thorough, logical, professional, and detailed. I am an engineer and the quote was prepared the way that I would do it including provision of drawings of how the installation will be completed and details of what components were included. Abarent far exceeded the other contractors that I got quotes from, in this regard. I received quotes from three contractors and the quote from Abarent Construction was in the middle in terms of pricing. I decided to go with Abarent because of the professionalism during the quote and proposal review process, better availability of this contractor over the low bidder, and because I believed that the product that they used for exterior wall waterproofing was superior in performance to the products used by their competition.

This company is very organized and efficient. I had made a couple of special requests to the owner at the time of accepting his proposal and this information had been conveyed to the project coordinator and in turn to the crews doing the work. Every morning that work is being done, the project coordinator will contact you and explain what work is going to happen at the house that day. I was around for most of the work and I could see that it was done very efficiently. I had requested that the crews take extra care not to damage my recently installed acrylic stucco and for the most part, they were very careful and I experienced only a small amount of accidental damage which I consider good, considering the nature of this work.

I did experience an issue with the waterproofing membrane that was applied to the exterior wall of my house. At the time that my project was completed it was cold (low single digit Celsius) and it rained off and on during the week. As a result, the waterproofing membrane product went on thicker than usual and that compounded the fact that any product will take longer to cure when the air is cold with high relative humidity, as was the case for my project. I had been warned by both the owner and the project coordinator that there would be a strong solvent smell during the application and curing of the membrane but they both assured me that it was not harmful. Because of that and because I assumed that any smell would be quite temporary and not too far different in intensity or duration to other products that I have experienced using, I did not think too much of it at the time of being told that. The project coordinator had advised me to keep all of my doors and windows closed when the membrane was being applied to reduce the solvent smell inside the house but the workers themselves left the back door open while they ran up and down the stairs completing the sump. As a result, I did get some significant amount of solvent smell in the house on the day of application that was quite bothersome. But the real problem occurred later after the house was backfilled by the crew. The membrane was evidently not fully cured and with the walls backfilled and no longer open to atmosphere, the off gassing solvent went directly into the weeping tile, which is connected to the sump. The sump has a lid but it was not sealed and the workers had cut off a corner of the lid for the pump’s power cords to fit through. Most houses operate at a slight negative air pressure, so even this small amount of opening was enough to fill my house with a very strong smell of solvent, particularly so in the basement where I live due to upstairs renovations in progress. I opened windows and implemented various mechanical (fans) and natural ventilation methods to remove the solvent smell but this didn’t stop the root cause of off gassing solvent fumes entering the sump. I eventually needed to seal the sump lid with caulking before the problem went away completely.

The problem that I experienced with strong solvent fumes in my home was entirely avoidable with a few simple preventive measures. So homeowners - here are my recommendations to you and this advice might apply to work done by any contractor:

1) Contractors may say that the products they use are harmless but I suggest that you read the product Technical Data Sheet and the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). The product used by this company (Bakor Aquabloc 770-06) is made by Henry Company and you can access these documents either from the company’s website or by contacting them directly. If the product contains chemicals that you think would not be good to have in your body, then have a ventilation plan and ventilate immediately if you smell solvents or chemicals in your home (you are unlikely to be able to avoid all ingress into the house but if the preventive measures below are followed, they should be minimal and able to be addressed by ventilation).

2) Ask your contractor to apply the waterproofing product(s) after the sump is finished so they won’t need to leave your door open (transporting materials out of or into the house) while the products are being applied. During and after the product is applied, keep your outside doors and windows closed, only opening when necessary. You should also consider plugging your air intakes and vents and if seasonally practical, turning your furnace/AC off to reduce ingress of gases from the curing products.

3) Ensure that the contractor follows the manufacturer’s instructions for application of the product(s). The manufacturer of the Bakor Aquabloc product recommends that the product be conditioned to room temperature and (trowel, squeegee or spray) applied at a thickness of 90 mil (0.090 inch). Product applied at a higher thickness will take longer to cure, and off gas more solvent, all other things being equal.

4) It may be difficult or impractical to control or monitor the contractor’s methods on the previous two points, but here is the most critical preventive measure that you can control – ENSURE THAT THE CONTRACTOR THOROUGHLY SEALS THE SUMP LID!!! Make this a written condition of accepting the contract and if it doesn’t get done, do it yourself. Ideally this would be done before the waterproofing product(s) is applied to your wall but based on my experience, it is at least imperative that it be done before the backfill occurs. By far the highest amount of solvent fumes that got into my home did so after the house was backfilled and at this point, the path of entry was very clearly through the weeping tile into the sump. I sealed my sump by purchasing another lid, carefully notching it out to leave just enough room for the pump power cords and thoroughly caulking the lid and cords. Doing this completely solved the problem. This method, while very effective, will make it more difficult for me to access the sump in the future. Instead, a very simple and economical way that a seal can be made is to apply two rings of good quality caulking (maybe an inch or so apart) to the cement around the outside perimeter of the sump opening. Apply the caulking thick around the power cords and embed them fully into the caulking. Then cut a square of 6mil clear polyethylene sheet larger than the caulking rings and lay it over the sump and press it down into the caulking to effect a (double) seal. (I would also remove the supplied sump lid so you can see inside the sump and make sure your pump is working). This is likely about a 10 minute job when done by an experienced person – so your contractor should have no objection to doing this for you. If only this one step had been implemented at my home as soon as the sump was finished, it would have prevented most or all of the solvent fumes in my home after the backfill.

CONDITIONAL RECOMMENDATION – I believe Abarent Construction uses the product that they do because they believe it to be the most effective product to waterproof your wall and allows them to stand behind their excellent warranty on this work. Indeed, this was one of the reasons that I chose this contractor. So if the above steps 2-4 would be implemented by this contractor on future projects, then I would be prepared to recommend this contractor for this type of work as I think that they did everything else well.

David Chan from Edmonton
David Chan from Edmonton
4 reviews Edmonton, AB

Foundation repair

Did my cracked basement wall, at that time it was given a 15 years warranty. It started leaking at the same place again after 7 years, have a difficult time getting them to come by and check it out. When they did show up, they blame it on some thing else, in another word warranty not honoured.

Additional info after the company responsed.
I had another different house done by this company more than 10 years ago, that I still own. The repair failed I believe after 3 years, I reported it. A person came within 3 days, checked and tested the location with running water from a garden hose, confirmed and came back to fix it all in one week, still holding after all these years. I was impressed, that's why I went to them again for the next house and also recommended them to a couple of my friends. This time, I waited over 2 weeks for an inspection appointment, then got cancelled and set up another appointment a week later. They came by this time, looked at it, went to the basement and pointed to something else and said that's the cause and suggested to me, myself, to jack hammer the basement. No test to confirm, nothing. I guess the company I dealt with before may be changed hand and not the same company anymore. I found someone else, fixed the problem in less than 3 days. And after this summer's terrible hail and rain storms with a lot of basements flooded, mine is still holding fine. No thanks to this company, not recommended.

Review of this client's file indicates that we did repair a crack on their foundation, that 7 years later they did have water in their basement and that we attended their home to investigate within 72 hours of their call. The client was shown what the problem was and what was required to remedy it. The problem 7 years later had nothing to do with the original repair. Home owners need to maintain their home. Checking and servicing backwater valves, maintaining grading and keeping eve downspouts functional are a critical part of on-going yearly maintenance and flood-proofing on any home. We are happy to provide advice to any homeowner, past client or not. Please feel free to contact us through our web-site www.abarent.net.

More about Abarent Construction Ltd.

At Abarent Construction in Edmonton, we are foundation repair and piling specialists who are committed to doing it right the first time. Our clients’ needs and satisfaction are always #1.