Fences & Gates

Reviews for Element Fence

Tree Doctors in GTA
Tree Doctors in GTA

Will never use them again.

We used Element Fence to repair a broken section of the fence in Toronto. They gave us two options one cheaper and one $1000 more expensive which involves hydro-vac. We went with a more expensive option. The company did the work but they did the cheaper version instead. When we pointed it out to them, they didn't care. They threaten us with legal actions, collections and whatever else if we don't pay. After a week of emails and calls back and forth we paid the more expensive bill. Be aware, this company does not do what they promise and do unethical business. Will never use them again.

Tree Doctors called Element Fence to repair a fence that they had damaged. This fence was originally built by Element Fence, so the client who suffered a loss at the hands of Tree Doctors requested Element Fence return the fence to its original condition. Element Fence presented two options to Tree Doctors for the repair. Tree Doctors then returned to us a signed contract outlining they requested we complete the more expensive option which was the option that would restore the fence to its original condition. Before the work was completed Tree Doctors was calling our office multiple times a day and following up with emails if there was no immediate response. Element Fence completed their portion of the contract and returned the fence to its original condition to the satisfaction of the home owner who suffered the loss. Once the invoice was sent, Tree Doctors became increasingly difficult to reach. Their invoice remained unpaid for over 60 days. Element Fence reached out to them and requested that they honour their portion of the contract.

Although eventually Tree Doctors paid their outstanding invoice they did so only to appease the client. They then posted slanderous reviews about Element Fence on Google. The mutual client found this unacceptable and posted their own review which went into detail the unfortunate dealings with Tree Doctors. Seeing as they were desperate to take down the negative reviews from the client, Tree Doctors removed the slanderous reviews they made in regards to Element Fence and then promised our mutual client that the issue had been resolved. Since the client believed the matter to be resolved, they removed their reviews. Tree Doctors then once again reneged on their word and continued their slanderous attack on Element Fence over the internet.

Below is an email chain that reveals the true nature of the situation between Tree Doctors and Element Fence. Included at the bottom is the review created by the client in reference to Tree Doctors by our mutual client.This email chain reveals the dishonest business dealings that Tree Doctors takes part in. Beware as either a residential homeowner or as a contractor that this company cannot be trusted from the management to their HR representatives.

Hello Stacey [Tree Doctors],

Attached is the contract signed by you requesting Element Fence to complete Option B at $1,975 plus HST.

Our crew completed Option B as I have repeatedly stated. The fact that it took a half day comes down to the experience of the crew and is irrelevant in this matter. The crew rebuilt the panels as necessary as well as installing a new footing with a new post in the ground. Hydrovac was never included in the contract and is much more expensive than $1000/day.

When it came to scheduling the work you were easy to reach and pushing for us to move as fast as possible. However you have failed to show the same haste in paying the remaining Balance of $1,115.86 which has been owing for over 60 days.

As stated in the contract. All materials remain the property of Element Fence until completely paid for. If the outstanding balance is not paid and the account is not closed by this time next week the materials will be repossessed.

Hi Josiah,

Thank you for including us here, we weren’t aware Tree Doctors had failed to pay their invoice.

We paid them for their work in full on November 27, following the fence repair so I’m surprised they’ve yet to pay you guys.

Stacey [Tree Doctors], what seems to be the problem here?

CLIENT:

Sorry all, just noticed there is a conversation belo. I’d like to clarify as Stacey’s comments are not entirely true.

To quote:

Once you completed the work, my customer called and emailed to tell me you were done, very quickly as both myself and my customer commented, during this same email and phone call with my customer he advised that yes the work was completed to his satisfaction BUT you did NOT opt to do the work as outlined in Option B instead you opted for Option A at the lesser dollar amount and without the use of the Hydro-Vac equipment.

We did not call Tree Doctor’s immediately after the work was done. We were not home that day, and received an email from Stacey at 12:48pm on Nov 22, 2018 stating that she had heard from Element and that the repairs were done. At no point since Nov 22, 2018 or after have we spoken with you on the phone Stacey.

I confirmed via email at 3:58pm on Nov 22, 2018 that the work was completed to my satisfaction and Tree Doctors could go ahead and invoice us. I confirmed via email as well that no hydro vac truck was present, but we could see a rather large crew for a small repair which was likely why it went so quickly, as we could see the property and crew on our security cameras.

Hi Josiah,

I received written notice from Stacey at Tree Doctors that the invoice as been paid in full and the issue is now settled.

Can you please confirm at your earliest convenience?

Hello [CLIENT],

Contrary to this email, we have not been contacted by nor paid by Tree Doctors.

Hi Josiah,

Could you please forward me the contract shared with Tree Doctors?

Element Fence shared the contract as per the clients request.

Thank you Josiah.

I don’t see anything here that suggest an H-Vac truck would be used. Is there any other documentation provided to Tree Doctors that would state otherwise? They seem hung up on this point, but if it’s nowhere in the work agreement I really don’t understand what argument they would have.

Hello [CLIENT],

There was no documentation provided to Tree doctors in regards to hydrovac.

If hydrovac is to be used it will be in the contract.

We are not sure what the issue is here as they were attentive and easy to work with at the time of business. That has rapidly changed though as they clearly are unwilling to pay the remaining balance.

Hi Josiah,

Thank you for confirming. I’m not sure what the issue is either, but have had similar experience with them in getting this resolved.

Hi Stacey [Tree Doctors],

I have obtained and reviewed the contract between Tree Doctors and Element Fence. No where in the work agreement does it state that Hydro-Vac would be used to complete the job. The job was completed according to the details outlined in the contract and signed by you.

I am unclear and confused as to why Tree Doctors refuses to pay the remaining balance citing the Hydro-Vac truck as the issue when it was not included in the agreement that you signed.

Can you please explain or confirm payment has been made? I have not received any response from you since following up yesterday.

CLIENT:

I will however clarify Stacey’s [Tree Doctor’s] point below misquoting my email so that when you do meet and resolve the matter, everyone has clarity.

· Element quoted on Hydrovac because it’s not reasonable in their opinion to be digging against a retaining wall (part of the reason we chose them to install our fence).

Element Fence quoted our fence installation (not the repair) with hydro-vac to protect the retaining wall and due to the high volume of discarded building materials buried on the property. The options for repair that I discussed with Element Fence in October left hydro-vac as a last resort, with several less invasive alternatives, such as chiselling out the broken post and replacing it in the cement footing and then filling the hole with epoxy to stabilize the new post. Based on what I saw on our security cameras and the fact that there was very little disturbance to the ground around the post, I believe this is the method that was used.

I had explained this on the phone with Tree Doctors General Manager prior to Stacey signing the contract when he called asking me allow Tree Doctors to find a cheaper solution to resolve the matter. As Tree Doctors pushed for cheaper solutions, but could not provide reasonable answers to any of my questions (also referenced below), I restated this fact as it was important to us that the job be done right, with the right materials and to restore the fence and surrounding property to its original state with warranty.

I do not know what was said between your two companies, but it is important that my comments not be taken out of context to justify the stance of Tree Doctors.

CLIENT REVIEW ON TREE DOCTORS:

In the summer of 2018, I hired Tree Doctors to remove a tree on my neighbour's property that was posing a threat of falling and damaging my property, namely a brand new fence and landscaping. Initially, of all the companies I vetted for the job they were approachable and relatively organised. I opted to move ahead with Tree Doctors based on the positive reviews I found online, and the work was scheduled shortly after. Sadly, during the removal of the tree, a large limb was dropped resulting in significant damage to the fence I was aiming to protect by hiring Tree Doctors to remove the sickly tree.

Accidents happen, that's understandable. However, after hearing the crash, I approached the crew to find out what had happened and they initially tried to convince me that a broken fence post could merely be hammered back into the ground, not mentioning the damage caused to an 8-foot section of the fence at the time that later had to be rebuilt.

After working my way through customer service representatives on the phone and explaining the issue and the crew's response on site, I was relieved to hear the matter would be dealt with immediately and the fence would be restored to its original state. The customer service manager moved quickly after that point to request a quote from the company that had recently installed our new fence to ensure the repairs were done properly and with respect to our property.

After receiving a quote for the repair, Tree Doctor's general manager called me directly requesting I allow them to find an alternative solution "because they need to make money too." Ultimately, I agreed to look at alternative contractors of their choosing, all of which turned out to be priced significantly lower than the original fence contractor I had hired, which raised my concern. When asked about the company names, materials planned for use, the scope of repair work and warranty on the repairs, Tree Doctors declined to provide any response to my questions and agreed to hire the company that installed my fence initially.

The repairs were finally completed approximately two months after the damage took place and I paid the remaining balance owed to Tree Doctors in full after withholding it until my satisfaction in the repairs. At that time, I believed the ordeal was over, and we could put everything behind us.

Sadly, three months later I was brought back into a contract disagreement between the two companies. Tree Doctors had failed to pay the fence contractor in full based on their "feeling" that the work performed by the fence company was not worth the amount approved in the contract, citing a service that was apparently discussed between the two companies on a phone call, but was not present on the contract signed by both companies.

Fortunately, after several days of back and forth via email, phone and failed in-person visits, Tree Doctors paid the fence contractor in full for the agreed upon, contracted amount, but not until everyone in this matter had wasted days and weeks of time squabbling over something that was not part of the contract.

Within an hour of paying the fence company their due amount, Tree Doctor's staff took to the internet to leave the fence company a negative review on the basis that Tree Doctors felt that they should have been able to pay less than the agreed-upon fee for the repairs because a service that was not included in the signed work agreement was not performed on the day of the repairs. Confusing, I know...

I'm not a person that typically leaves a review, good or bad, but in this case, I felt obliged to share my experience with Tree Doctors as they proved to operate with a lack of maturity and professionalism in my opinion. I hope that in future, should you hire them, you do not encounter the same experience I did.

I would not recommend this company.

Matt B.
Matt B.
2 reviews Halton Hills, ON

Residential chain link fence

Element Fence recently completed a 45' residential chain link fence for me. The communication with Josiah during and after the estimation process was excellent - it was a relatively small project but I never got the sense that it was not worth their time as I had experienced with at least one other contractor on HomeStars. The crew installed the fence to spec and cleaned up nicely afterwards. Great job and I can't think of any negatives. I would definitely get in touch with them again should I have another fencing project in mind.

Hello Matt,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a review.

One of the corner stones of Element Fence is communication. Our communication between team members and with our customers has allowed us to become the company we are today.

Here at Element Fence we treat all jobs with the same degree of attention and care; no matter how big or small.

We look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Nancy
Nancy

Repair and rebuild fence

Shared fence with 2 neighbours
Everyone was satisfied with the work
Job done on time & on budget

Hello Nancy,

Thank you for your review.

Our office crew works diligently to ensure that all projects are completed in a timely and affordable manner while working in tandem with our installation crews who strive to leave our customers satisfied at every step.

We are glad to hear we were able to meet these targets for both you and your neighbours.

Pam
Pam

75 foot Fence and replacement of 2 gates

The fence replacement team worked efficiently and cleanly taking care not to disturb existing gardens using gas powered augers to dig new fence post holes. They used 6x6 posts as recommended by estimating team. Back half of fence was on a grade which they addressed with no issues. Joe was meticulous and we appreciated the great workmanship.

Hello Pam,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Element Fence team.

Our estimating team provides our clients with only the best advice pertaining to the job at hand and takes into consideration any and all requests. Based on this, our installation team implements the decisions, procedures, and requests devised alongside our clients.

When it comes time to install, each member of our installation crews takes pride in their own meticulous workmanship.

aherak
aherak

New Fence Installation

Needed new fencing after tree damage and age
Install took 3 days since the property is very large
They measured before they did the work provided the quote
Once accepted they arrived 1 week later
They brought all fencing and tools gave updates on how things were going
They worked efficiently and cleanly a team of 3-4 people
Removed all old fencing at the end of the job.
Well done

Hello aherak,

Thank you for your thoughtful review.

No matter how big or small the job, our experienced crews are entirely self-sufficient with materials and tools so as not to inconvenience our clients during the installation process. We continuously provide you with updates so that you remain in complete control of your project.

When we leave any work site it is our policy to leave the work site cleaner, rather than messier, than when we arrived.

Virginia K in Mississauga
Virginia K in Mississauga

Wooden Fence Replacement

As mentioned, scheduling delay due to major wind storm. Daniel and Josiah were a pleasure to deal with. Crew, including Steve and Joe were courteous and very skilled dealing with elevation issues. We're very pleased with quality of workmanship and cleanup afterwards. We would highly recommend!

Hello Virginia,

Thank you for reviewing Element Fence.

All of our installers are mature and experienced and are able to handle any issue that a work site may throw at them.

From our office staff to our installers on the front lines, our main priority is providing our clients with a feeling of respect and care, whether that takes the form of continuous updates on job progress or ensuring that the work site is left cleaner than when we arrived.

patinfo
patinfo

Most unethical company I worked with.

BEWARE OF THESE GUYS.. Most unethical, bullying and offensive company to deal with.

Work: To replace the fence fallen due to a storm in Oct 2017. Majority work was on my neighbor's side.

Element completed the work on my neighbor's side and the common to both. But left me in the lurch with the panels that came off the two posts.

When they are busy, they find most creative ways to avoid small jobs.
1. In first place, they gave multiple quotations and finally left a small portion but important part of the work. After multiple follow-ups, they sent a new quote with a cost of $5500 for the repair work, which someone is ready to do it for less than $500.
2. Management cannot handle the workload. They try to bully you and place the blame on you. Will never keep promises on providing the quotations or invoices. After the initial work, had to follow-up multiple times for almost 2 weeks for the invoice.
3. Only good thing is that the team on the ground knows what they are doing, unlike the guys who are managing.

Update: Element Fence responded to my review in Google with some accusations. Please find his accusations and my responses below.

Response to their post below:

Element's response:

In this case, our client requested that we collect directly from his neighbor for his half of the repaired fence. He held back his payment until we submitted a quote for repair to another portion of his fence (not included or covered by the insurance claim).

My response: Above statements are completely not true. We delayed the payment to clarify some questions with invoices. Even revised quotes from them took days, because of their busy schedule. Delay in payment is due to delay in their response. This is just a ruse for Element Fence to avoid the visit for inspection and then completion of "Small" incomplete work.

The client tried pressuring Element Fence into assisting with his insurance sc*m (8” x 8” x 16’ grooves cedar post and 2 1/4” x 10’ cedar T&G sound barrier fence - look it up folks, $500 doesn’t even cover a single post cost).

My Response: There is no insurance sc*m here. The entire fence is covered by insurance. The estimate provided after inspection by my insurance company includes repairs to the incomplete part of the work. Look it folks… It's "Repair" and Not "Replacement". If Element does not know how to interpret the language in the insurance documentation, it speaks volumes of their knowledge and professionalism. The only thing not covered was a gate that I said I was ready to pay separately. With too much work, I don't see a mistake in them forgetting this discussion. But it's completely unethical and unprofessional of Element to accuse me of "Insurance Sc*m". My insurance underwriter is completely aware of my situation.

Unfortunately for the client, Element Fence abides by good morals and business ethics.

My Response: Element Fence promised that they will do secondary visit. Unfortunately, their busy schedule required them to put their ethics and Morals aside and avoid the site visit. They did not come to see the fence in person. On the day of the visit, they asked me to send the photos. I don't understand how they see a need for replacing the posts without even coming onsite.

Sadly, this type of thing will eventually happen to any company dealing with the massive volumes that we do.
My Response: This is the whole point. Sadly, their busy schedules and more lucrative work happened to put my work aside.

Our estimate should be no surprise to client, sine we simply extended a prorated price for work already completed.

My Response: It may be no surprise to Element. It is definitely a surprise to me. When I requested repairs, Element sent quote for replacement of the posts. May be the work of repairs is not worth the morals and ethics that Element Fence support. Since I am being accused of insurance sc*mmer that I am not, I am accusing Element of trying to squeeze customers for unnecessary work, for their financial benefit. I stand a victim of their more lucrative work elsewhere.

Element Fence will always attempt to rectify any unsettled issue that comes up on a site, our estimate clearly states Element Fence Protocol for hard digging and any reason for extra changes (Knock on wood) in all our years of business Element Fence yet to exercise this waiver because Element Fence cares more to cooperate with our client towards a resolution before cashing in on “extras”.

Our highly experienced office staff is patient, professional, and treats all people equally. Element Fence offers a free site inspection and estimate that is transparent, consistent, and competitive.
Our entire office staff has worked years in the field and has graduated to become the management / office staff thus can recognize potential problems on site or with a customer.

In this case, our client requested that we collect directly from his neighbour Narendra (the individual leaving this review), for his half of the repaired fence.
Narendra (the individual leaving this review) held back his payment until we submitted a quote for repair to another portion of his fence (not included or covered by the insurance claim) Narendra tried pressuring Element Fence into assisting with his insurance scam (8” x 8” x 16’ grooves cedar post and 2 1/4” x 10’ cedar T&G sound barrier fence - look it up folks, $500 doesn’t even cover a single post cost).

Unfortunately for Narendra Pathuri, Element Fence abides by good morals and business ethics.

Our estimate should be no surprise to Narendra, since we simply extended a prorated price for work already completed. Element Fence is a company that does everything by the book and above board, unfortunately this does not sit well with some individuals but no matter what we proudly maintain our standards and ethics.

Daniel& Josiah

AK
AK

Fence

The team was professional and diligent. Right from Daniel to Josiah, we were impressed with the attention and care given to our project.

Hello AK,

Thank you for your review.

The stringent protocols that Element Fence follows produces professionalism and customer satisfaction from office to site.

The office at Element Fence is happy to leave an impression that prompts positive feedback.

steve.ince17
steve.ince17

Fence repair

The toughest part was getting it scheduled, although to be fair this was largely due to a huge backlog due to recent windstorm. The quality of the work and the service orientation were both top notch....we were very satisfied with the work that was done

Hello Steve,

We have had an incredibly busy month due to the windstorm at the beginning of May and the Element Fence team has been working overtime to accommodate all of our clients.
We apologize for any delays in scheduling you experienced as a result of this.

Element Fence is proud of not only our quality and workmanship but also in the service we provide to our clients.

Your comments continue to motivate us.

More about Element Fence

Element Fence is a commercial and residential fence contractor, specializing in custom wood and decorative metal fence, film set, security fence and razor wire, greenhouse and grow facility, solar and wind farm fence, data centre and telecom rooms, construction hoarding and temporary fence, cantilever and automatic gate fabrication / install, on site welding, secure cages and garbage enclosures.
Element Fence provides 24 hour emergency service to our commercial clients and to secure storage facilities.
Element Fence services the GTA and Southern Ontario, to provide a safe and efficient installation of chain link fence and gates, cedar, pressure treated and exotic wood work, modular or aluminum iron fence, wrought iron fence, vinyl fence, corrugated sheet metal hoarding and glass railing.