De Taeye Designs

Reviews for De Taeye Designs

Patricia in Oshawa
Patricia in Oshawa

My Emergency Leak!

I was so fortunate that Shawn and his guys could help me on short notice... The wind and rain caused an awful leak in my home and they came and quickly assessed where the leak was coming from and had it patched up in no time. I am so thankful. Highly recommend!

Lisa Brown from Oshawa
Lisa Brown from Oshawa

DO NOT USE DETAEYE DESIGNS

I can not even begin to tell you the level of incompetence and dishonesty that they have shown. Example: They didn't seal a vent stack for a powder room and we had a huge leak. They said they came and fixed it, but then when the snow melted this spring, we had a massive leak that ruined the interior on 2 levels. I called a roofing company who just advised that the VENT WAS NEVER SEALED AND WE HAVE A GAPING HOLE AROUND THE VENT. Even worse? Not only did they not fit it, they took the part they were supposed to use to cover the hole, scrunched it up, and stuck it in the vent!! This feels intentionally malicious to me. This has caused thousands of dollars of damage.

We have ripped waterproofing, and upon closer look they actually waterproofed an interior wall!

Lat week we received a notice from the Electrical Safety Authority that they had not complete their electrical inspection - which I was told was done and paid for. I now have to cover yet another bill for them.

The quality of work is poor - lifting tiles, poor drywall finishing, nails used for laminate counter where glue should have been used.

The crew never comes when they say they will, and when they do, it's for an hour here and an hour there. They are completely unreliable, will no-show without warning, and will avoid your calls.

A certain main member of the team is also incredibly unprofessional and flirtatious. Really unpleasant.

Do yourself a favour and call ANYONE else. They are quite convincing, but you will find yourself in a nightmare with Detaeye Designs.

SeanB in Whitby
SeanB in Whitby

Leaking Basement

Met Shawn at the Whitby Home show last year and was impressed with his display. Mentioned that I had a leak in my basement and we set up an appointment for him to come look at it. The leaks were mainly along the back wall and a couple along the walls adjacent to the back wall.

Pleased with the initial estimate, we decided to move forward.

On the day of the job Shawn came himself to do the work with one of his new helpers. Shawn instructed his helper to remove all of the blanket insulation from all the walls, even the ones that were not exposed to the outside and would not cause any leaking. when I asked about this, he assured me that this was necessary to ensure we addressed all leakage issues, but that I shouldn't be concerned because if I selected him to finish my basement, that the cost of fixing the leaks would be used as a down payment to the cost of finishing the basement.

Fast forward a few hours and the leaks are all plugged. Of course there were no leaks on the walls that were not exposed... but again Shawn took measurements for finishing the basement and assured me that the cost for the day would be used as down payment for finishing the basement.

Over the summer I called a number of times to follow up on the estimate to finish the basement, with no success.

This fall I did receive an email from his company asking me I wanted to proceed with fixing the leaks in my basement. On receiving this email I called Shawn again, to ask him to quote me on replacing the blanket insulation that he took down. He suggested that I look at spray foam and that it would be part of the cost of finishing the basement. When I said that I had never received his quote for finishing the basement, he claimed that they sent it back in the spring and were waiting on my response. When I said I never got it, he asked me to send him an email to ensure that he was sending the estimates to the correct email address.

I sent him an email and he confirmed receiving it and said that the girl in the office would send off both estimates.

No estimate received to this day.

Instead I have to pay another company $1,700 to replace all the blanket insulation in my basement. so total cost to date = $5,200

I'm thankful that my basement no longer leaks, but will not be recommending Shawn and De Taeye Designs for any future work.

Funny enough, while he was doing the work in the basement I did ask him about the few negative reviews, about his lack of communication/follow up etc. and he took full responsibility for it. I guess I didn't think I would be the next lucky person.

Hi Sean, thank you for your honest review. We are sorry to hear you had a less than desirable experience, however we are glad that in the long run you were able to find a solution to the issues in your home. We will absolutely take your comments into consideration and put more focus into our client communication and scheduling. We aim to grow better and more efficient with every project, and your comments are important to us!

Sincerely,

The DeTaeye Team

1 review Courtice, ON

Concrete Crack Injection

With all the rain we have had this summer, I started getting water seeping in through a crack in my basement. I called de Taeye Designs and spoke with the owner Shawn. He came over and gave me an estimate within one hour of my call. The next day he came over and did a pressure injection repair which took about an hour to complete. I am completely satisfied with the service that was provided and highly recommend de Taeye Designs. Very professional company.

Thank you for your review! We greatly appreciate your feedback, and we are happy that you were satisfied with the service we provided.

Emily in
Emily in
1 review Courtice, ON

A Highly Reccommended Company!

I work for a local window manufacturing company who, in the last year, have had the privilege of dealing with Shawn De Taeye.
Through these meetings with De Taeye Designs, I feel compelled to recognize them for their professionalism, attention to detail and punctuality regarding their work.
Having the opportunity to work with people with such a vast knowledge of their trade and not to mention a great attitude, is very refreshing! In every conversation, Shawn shows that his genuine goal is to take care of his clients to the best of his ability, and he does exactly that.
I would recommend De Taeye designs to anyone who is looking for high quality work at a fair price!

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to work with local companies and we know the importance of doing so

Lynn in
Lynn in
1 review Newcastle, ON

Basement water leak

We had a very unique leak in our basement coming from black line flexible piping coming out of the foundation during heavy thaws and rain. In the meantime I rigged something up to catch the leak and divert it to the sump pump.
During a dryer spell, I called a few companies to get a few different opinions to fix the problem. DeTaeye Designs was one of them. Shawn, got back to me within a few hours and came over within 24hrs. He explained what was happening and suggested some things to try and gave us a quote to fix the problem.
Out of all the companies I met with, Shawn impressed me the most. He explained everything very thoroughly, gave me some options and really seemed knowledgeable in this area. I didn't feel pressured by sales tactics or gimmicks.
Unfortunately, the next time it rained, it really rained. My little set up wasn't working as there was too much water in the ground and nowhere for it to go except out this pipe. It was not just coming out of the pipe anymore but other areas around the pipe in the foundation. We had water everywhere and were emptying recycling size bins of water every 2hrs.
I called Shawn immediately that evening and he was over the next day trying to fix our very bad situation.
When the first option didn't work as we had hoped as promised by his guarantee he immediately came back to rectify the situation.
In the end we had to go with the second option of an interior drainage system in the problem area. We'll have to do the rest of the basement before finishing it but thanks to Shawn and his team our basement isn't flooding, we are able to sleep at night and have peace of mind.
I highly recommend De Taeye Design for foundation repairs and problems.
Life savers!

Hi Lynn, thank you very much for sharing your experience with DeTaeye Designs! We are happy to hear that we were able to answer a few of your questions and help you determine what was best for your home.

Andrei P
Andrei P
2 reviews Whitby, ON

Basement Leak

After discovering a leak in our foundation we reached out to a handful of contractors to help us get it fixed. During the process we’ve heard all types of advice, methods and price ranges to help address the issue. We decided to go with Shawn from de Taeye Designs because of his knowledge and expertise, and modern method of fixing the leak from inside the house.
Shawn clearly explained to us what the issue was, what caused it and how it will be fixed. Impressively, he knew exactly where the foundation crack was, size and the angle of it without even tearing out the drywall.
After tearing out the drywall and removing insulation Shawn and his team also discovered a couple of other cracks that all needed immediate attention.
During the day of the repairs, Shawn and his crew showed up a little bit early to get a head start. All were very personable and professional. They removed all the drywall, insulation and flooring to make sure there were no other cracks or pooling water. After fixing all the cracks they cleaned up the area and removed all debris.
We’d highly recommend Shawn and his team for their expertise and high quality of work.

Thanks so much for your review! We appreciate your time and are glad you were satisfied with our team. We look forward to working together in the future!

Sarah&Collin in Whitby
Sarah&Collin in Whitby
1 review Whitby, ON

Basement Reno/Apt. (With Waterproofing)

We hired deTaeye's team to construct a legal basement apartment with a walkout (permitted)
Their quote was comparable to others, however what was impressive is the affiliations and connections deTaeye has within the industry, such as Durham region homebuilders association, RenoMark, Ontario homebuilders, and BILD to name a few.
From the drawings and permits the layout and actual build, Shawn and the fellas did an outstanding job. We were kept up to date along the way and updated on budget, timing, and overall progress.
We would recommend deTaeye for any work you may have.

Sarah and Collin, thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review! The connections we have are made possible because of fantastic clients like you. We are very happy knowing you are satisfied with the work completed in your home and we hope to work with you again soon!

leehawn in Whitby, Ontario Canada L1N4J8
leehawn in Whitby, Ontario Canada L1N4J8
1 review Whitby, ON

Water in Basement

Shawn came to fix our leaking basement, and I highly recommend him! He was friendly, knowledgable, quick, efficient, and priced very reasonably. He explained everything to me, and even showed me what he was doing as the work was being done in different stages.

This team is professional and knows what they are doing. I will definitely be using them again in the future for some custom renovations.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your comments and we look forward to working with you again soon!

Megan in
Megan in

Basement Renovation

De Taeye Designs
905-622-9115
1700 baseline Rd
Courtice
L1E 2S8

I hired De Taeye Designs to turn an unfinished basement into bedroom with a bathroom concept. They completed the drywall, flooring, and trim in the bedroom. As well as the fixtures, tile work and framing/drywall for the bathroom. They worked efficiently and productively to complete the project on time and budget. I was very impressed with the dynamic of the hardworking team and how easily they answered any questions or concerns that I had.

Thank you for your review, Megan! We are happy we could answer your questions and that you were satisfied with our work. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns in the future!

More about De Taeye Designs

• DREAM At De Taeye Designs we believe people should dream big and go after what they want in life. Whether your dream is to stop your basement from leaking or to finally have enough space in your kitchen to entertain friends, we’re here to help! • CREATE We work ...