This review informs potential customers of our poor experience dealing with Direct Pro, and, most particularly, their salesperson, Alex. On October 26, 2021, we entered into an agreement with Direct Pro to deliver and install seven new windows, including two bow windows, and windows in the kitchen, dining room, two upstairs bedrooms and an upstairs bathroom. The agreed price was $10,800. After 10 months, our cost had now increased to $14,650.
In March 2022, measurements and other specifications were rechecked by a Direct Pro technician. He concluded that Alex had underestimated the extent of new framing that would be necessary for the windows. Alex said our contract would have to be amended. Initially, he estimated that an additional $3500 would have to be added to the contract, but he said he'd give us a break and charge us only $2200 more. We were surprised he made such a simple error, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt.
On April 27, 2022, installation of the windows began. The installation crew was careful and hard-working. Installation went well until installation of the two bow windows began. We were taken aback by the design: at every junction of the window panes, there was now a tall fin protruding about 5", with a width of 2". This was not at all what we agreed to. Indeed, we had no prior discussion about the design of these windows. We assumed that these windows would be like the bow windows shown in the Direct Pro website gallery.
We could not accept the ugly design which Alex had implemented. The installers agreed it was most unusual. And they refused to complete the job as it was clear we were not happy with it.
Alex said if we wanted to change the bow windows back to the usual design, wed have to pay an additional $2000 because all the bow windows would have to be taken out and replaced. I refused because he was totally at fault. My wife agreed to pay him $1000 because he told her the installers would not return if we did not pay.
On May 2, the installers returned to complete the work. Instead of removing the bow windows and reinstalling them, they said Alex told them to just remove the wood beams sticking out from between the windows. They used sledge-hammers. The wood frames around the panes were then in poor shape, but the installers said they could cover up most of the blemishes and gouges with ¼ thin wood planking. It still did not look good, with many screw holes now visible in the window frames. The installers covered these up with wide plastic strips. We weren't happy with the appearance, but we were just as concerned with the functionality (both short- and long-term) of the openers at either end of the bow windows.
Since that time, the openers on the bow windows have become increasingly misaligned/warped. They didn't close at the top and the latches at the base were very difficult to open and close. On August 17, we paid for a visit by technicians from the window manufacturer. They were able to make the windows shut, from top to bottom, by installing new clasps. We hoped this was the end of the problem. But, by September 7, the warping had begun again - the openers were very hard to open and shut. We fear that the warping/misalignment is permanent and will only get worse with time.
Dr. Eric Holowaty.