JohnsonPlayfair Brick & Stone Masonry

Reviews for JohnsonPlayfair Brick & Stone Masonry

J. Cavanagh from Toronto
J. Cavanagh from Toronto

Rebuild Chimney

I met Matthew Johnson many years ago by watching him bricklaying in our neighbourhood. I noticed what an excellent craftsman he was and kept his business card thinking someday I may need it. As it turned out I did and contacted him this summer. He is now Johnson Playfair. He came to our house and gave me a fair quote on a chimney (exterior) replacement. The work crew that came to our house were first rate. Safety and cleanliness were top priority plus they were very pleasant and courteous in nature. They worked efficiently and quietly. All communication was followed through with the other owner Brendan Playfair who was excellent.
I would like to recommend this company to anyone in the GTA who needs brickwork, masonry, concrete etc. They do a variety of things.
It was a pleasure to contract them for this small but important job.

Allan in Toronto
Allan in Toronto

Fireplace Reno and Feature Wall

Johnson Playfair is simply the best choice for any brick and stone masonry job. His team made the dry stack stone feature wall in my mudroom and the matching fireplace in my living room look amazing. Knowledgeable and considerate, Matthew Johnson and his team are true professionals who care about they do. It's a rare combination to find in any trade or business. I would not hesitate to contact them for other jobs in the future. They're absolutely great.

Dana
Dana

Stone and brick front landing and steps

I love my new stone and brick front landing and staircase (for my century home) !!! This company really differentiates on high quality work and honest, realistic, respectful customer service. Seems so simple, but so rare now a days.
I think I might have also overcome my morbid fear of renovations - thanks to Matt and Team!

Susan Atkinson  from Toronto
Susan Atkinson from Toronto

Stone mantel and hearth installation

An old carved sandstone mantel and custom cut limestone hearth were installed in a 110 year old house with crooked floors. Matt amd Eric had many specific and tricky calculations to make. The end result is perfect. The fireplace is a beautiful centrepiece in the room. The job was completed in just 3 days.

Debbie from Toronto
Debbie from Toronto

Replaced Front Steps

We are extremely pleased with the craftsmanship of Johnson\Playfair. They replaced our front steps and added a low stone wall for a planter area. Matt and Brendan were great to work with. They responded to our calls and email, were punctual and courteous and they clean up all the debris. Of course, the job turned out to be more work then anticipated, but that is par for the course. Great job!!

Lina from Toronto
Lina from Toronto
1 review East York, ON

Tuck Pointing

We needed some tuck pointing completed in our older home and decided on Johnson Playfair as Matt provided the most competitive quote and was the quickest to respond. They arrived on time and did an outstanding job - you can't even tell which areas were re-pointed. Would definitely recommend their services.

Susan from Brampton
Susan from Brampton

Brick Repair

I contacted JohnsonPlayfair by email. Matt responded right away that they were able to send a mason to do the small repair. Adrien arrived on time, was very professional and did a fantastic job. After he was done, he took away all the old brick and cleaned everything. Thanks for a great job. Have already recommend them to a friend.

Domenic from Toronto
Domenic from Toronto
4 reviews Etobicoke, ON

Re-facing brick with stone and dressing porch and steps with stone.

After having read several reviews and meeting with a number of masons, we decided to go with Johnson Playfair and we weren't disappointed. Matt and Brendan are true professionals, from their people skills to their quality of work, everything is top notch. They take pride in their work and the attention to detail is impressive. It was a pleasure dealing with their co-workers as well, especially Eric, who is very knowledgeable and does excellent work. We were so happy with the re-facing of the brick with stone that we asked them to dress the porch and steps in stone as well. Based on the quality of the work, their price was reasonable. If you're looking for honest, hard-working masons that take pride in their work then give them a call, you won't be disappointed. Thanks again guys, it looks great.

Thank you Domenic, it was a pleasure working with you. A special thanks for the espresso at break, that was a nice touch.

Ralph Dunham in Toronto
Ralph Dunham in Toronto

Ebenezer Church Restoration

Assisted Review

On behalf of Ebenezer United Church, I would like to take this opportunity to endorse the masonry restoration work that was completed by Johnson Playfair at our Heritage church. Brendan and Matt were introduced to us by the Ontario Masonry Training Centre and they spent several months working on our restoration project. In addition to using their masonry skills they also supervised and mentored several students from the Training Centre. We found their work to be excellent and their passion for heritage restoration was obvious. The students also appreciated the opportunity to learn from experts in a “real” situation. The project was completed on time and I was impressed with their attention to safety and site cleanliness.

This was a new experience for us Ralph, and we appreciate that you made it possible. It was a challenge directing the apprentices in the restoration of your church, but it worked out well. We're looking forward to working with you again on the next phase of restoration.

James Smart from Toronto
James Smart from Toronto
1 review Old Toronto, ON

Quality delivered

Assisted Review

I am a contractor who specializes in renovating older houses in the Gta. I have used johnsonplayfair for several different projects and have had great results on each one. They show up on time, are good with clients and deliver excellent work. I would recommend Matt and Brendan to both contractors and home owners and I intend to continue to use them myself on future projects.

James Smart

Thank you James. We'll always do our best to work with individuals (contractors or otherwise) who commit themselves to producing quality projects and do what's necessary to achieve great results. It's been a pleasure working with you.

More about JohnsonPlayfair Brick & Stone Masonry

JohnsonPlayfair Brick and Stone Masonry operates throughout the G. T. A. proudly promoting the beauty and longevity of masonry as a building material. Our masons are fully trained and red-seal certified. Our mission is to build and restore masonry the right way, and through this, to continue the strong tradition ...
Looking for Historical Restoration pros in Toronto?