Modern general contractor

Toronto ON M4J 2J8
HomeStars  >  Roofing in East York  >  Modern general contractor

Reviews for Modern general contractor

Roof

Excellent roofing company with quality craftsmanship taking care of the entire roof system. Mike and his crew made sure that there were no compromises from shingles to underlayment and proper valleys. A higher standard of roof installation.

BillZ
BillZ

New Roof

I am writing as the real customer of the job which a neighbour complained about in his posting of September 8. In fact, Modern Roofing did an excellent job. They were pleasant and professional and did their best to accommodate our neighbours who use the public lane adjacent to our property as a shortcut. This company did an excellent job. Lane access was interrupted when necessary for safety reasons (cleanup of roofing nails, protection from falling debris, etc.). The complainant was the only one of all our neighbours who raised a fuss. Rather than use the alternate route available to them or wait the few minutes requested to ensure their safe passage, they instead chose to aggressively attack and berate the workers who were merely trying to do their jobs. Their posted rating should be ignored. We have learned to expect the occasional inconvenience which is unavoidable in this congested area where contractors are commonly engaged in necessary work. By the way, their price was for roofing of both halves of a semi and two garages and seemed very reasonable.

Tony in Toronto
Tony in Toronto

Roof repair

Modern put a new roof on my old house two years ago; then a couple of months ago I found a leak in the house we just moved into. His employees came within a couple of days and did the necessary repairs with clear explanations. It was a small job and the freebie bonus was great. I know I'll need more work done in the next year and I'll call Mike first.

rob sannella from East York
rob sannella from East York
1 review East York, ON

Warranty Re-Roof

Modern General helped me with a recent warranty claim on my roof. The shingles on my roof were defective within a few years of installation and Mike guided me through the manufacture's warrantly process and gave me a fair quote for the labour costs and completed the work immediately. As well, my neighbours homes are very close and the demolition and clean up of his team was fast and clean....my neighbours didnt even know they were there that day!

franco in Etobicoke
franco in Etobicoke
1 review Etobicoke, ON

I have used Modern General Contractors on 3 separate homes. They have always come in with a fair estimate, when some quotes have been 50% or higher. They did exactly what they promised on a written quote, came in stripped the roof of old materials, replaced any rotten wood, laid new underlayment, and singles in a professional and clean look. They also cleaned up thoroughly after the work and not 1 nail was left on the ground. They were professional, did what they said they would do, and did the job on budget with no hassles. A true professional in an industry of transient companies.

Tom - Etobicoke

Stouffville, Ontario
Stouffville, Ontario
1 review , ON

Roof

Mike and his crew reshingled our home recently. They were professional, courteous, prompt and did an exceptional job. Mike was on site every day and communicated with me on a regular basis before and during the roofing job. I would not hesitate to recommend Mike and Modern General Contractors to anyone looking for professional and exceptional service.

Cathy from Scarborough
Cathy from Scarborough
1 review Scarborough, ON

I hired Mike and his crew to put a new roof on my semidetached house, as my neighbour insisted we use him because he was an acquaintance of hers. The price was fair and the workmen were professional throughout the roofing process. However, I had had a leak in my home that had been identified as originating from my neighbour's side of the building, and not from my skylight. It was when my roof continued to leak after the new roof was on that my nightmare began. I called Mike who, after some time, had someone come to look at the problem. They said that it was, actually, my skylight that was leaking, and they caulked around it. When my roof did not stop leaking, and I called Mike again, he never returned my calls. All my calls had always gone to voice mail. In the meantime, there was increasing damage inside my home, with the floorboards on my wood floor beginning to raise, and a nearby door frame unsettling to the point where I could not close the door, and the frame was visibly leaning. Ultimately, I had a skylight contractor come in to fix the leak around the skylight, and he informed me that the reason the skylight had continued to leak after a new roof was put on was because the shingles had not been properly laid. When a contractor doesn't stand by his work, your only option is court, and sometimes that just seems like too much trouble. I would not recommend Modern General Contractor for roofing at all.

If the skylight was ok why would you install a new skylight.

John Ellis in Toronto
John Ellis in Toronto

I've hired Mike twice and I've referred him to friends. We've been homeowners long enough to spot the good guys and Mike is one of them.

The workmanship is great but what I appreciate most is: 1) His honest advice. 2) He runs a very tidy job site and protects plants. 3) His guys do a great clean up job when they're done - important when you have kids or pets in the yard. 4) He takes pictures to explain the work he's doing. 5) He sticks to his schedule and estimate (that's rare these days).

I can be reached through Mike if you'd like to ask me anything.

Jessica  from York
Jessica from York
1 review York, ON

Roof

We called Mike to do our roof, he told us he would come by to have a look and give us an estimate. He came the same day and had a look, took pictures to show us the condition of the shingles. He provided us with the estimate the following day. Upon starting the project they were punctual and very accommodating to any extra work that had to be done (we requested additional vents to be put in). Mike and his crew were extremely professional and efficient. At the end of the day they cleaned and kept the work site tidy and the way they found it. The work was completed faster then expected and we are extremely pleased with the outcome of our roof and the service. We highly recommend Modern General Contractors!