C & J Construction

Reviews for C & J Construction

merlie12 in Calgary
merlie12 in Calgary

sidewalks and garage pad

I wish to thank C & J Construction for an excellent job they did for me. My sidewalks and garage pad look awesome. The crew were professional and were always on time. Excellent work. I highly recommend this business.
Dianne Wiltshire and Troy Rajewski

Lacey in Calgary
Lacey in Calgary

Inside garage and apron

I have used C&j before these guys are so quick and efficient I just can’t tell u how happy we are with our new pad.
They have a great group of guys who even helped my husband carry stuff around the backyard!
If u want your job done quick and done right call these guys they are the best.
Thanks again C&J

Garage

I hired C & J Construction to build my garage. They were very prompt and efficient. The garage looks great. I didn't have any trouble with any of the crews. I would recommend them.

Garage

We used C and J for our garage. Their "builders" have not squared up anything. Our joist are not square, our roof is not straight, one length is an inch longer than the other.
Work crew was great, all issues I have had fall on the owner. Supplies did not turn up when I was told they would. Framers didn't waterproof the man door, nor did they waterproof the window. I have a 5mm gap in the timber work above the OHD as they ran out of timber. Not a biggie but looks crappy. Nails were left everywhere. Gaps between osb board range for 0-10mm. Framers did not use a table saw to cut these boards, or another method to make cuts straight.
I would not recommend to family and friends.

Review has 1 previous version

Driveway, Front & Patio Break, Removal, & Replacement

We had our triple garage driveway, front entrance, and back patio torn down, removed, and replaced from Nov. 8 - 10, 2016. The resulting exposed aggregate concrete was beautiful. We are very happy and it was worth the investment.
Joe and his staff are excellent and very professional and we recommend their service.
Special thanks to Joe for getting out of his way to replicate the front door entrance compass, as well as getting the right color aggregates to complement our house. Joe, you are always welcome to add us in your list of customer referrals.
Once again many thanks to C & J Construction for the excellent job!!

Such kind words, thank you for your review, we really appreciate it.

C&J Construction

Lisa Elle in Calgary
Lisa Elle in Calgary

Built Lane Garage

This summer (2016), I had my old garage torn down and a new one built in Calgary NW. C&J did a great job, and it was worth the investment. I'm so happy to have a nice warm place to park my car. The construction crew was courteous and quick. After getting quoted by various companies, I was happy with C&J's pricing as well as their timeline to get the job done. My renos are complete! Such a great feeling!

Hi Lisa

Thank you for your positive review. Enjoy your new warm garage.

C&J Construction

24 x 28 Garage Pad on Inclined Grade

Initial visit and quote was well presented, initial price was comparable to other quotes.

It was difficult to get the engineered drawing for the pad from them. It turned out to be a cookie cutter drawing, not worth anything to be paid for. Not getting it timely delayed me in getting a building permit.

As the other reviewer noted, the crew rushed through the job. Removed far more dirt than was necessary, charged me for extra dirt removal, then again charged me for additional gravel to replace it. Also broke off one of my fence posts with the bob cat.

All said and done, the footings are not below grade or even close to the engineered drawing The base gravel is spilling out. I was charged for the expensive cement throughout and cheap stuff was poured in the retaining walls first, then a delayed second pour over the rest. There is an obvious cold joint between the pours which is unacceptable structurally and it's visible in corners where the pours didn't fully fill in the forms.
The pad has a large hump down one of the 24' ends which caused major issues putting down a square and plumb structure. There is also a low spot which collects water near the OH door.
The entire pour has a ridiculous slope to it for "water drainage".. From 5' back the building is visibly tilted and looks ridiculous.
the top of one retaining wall is below grade and will likely cause rot of the base plate in the future.

The owner Joe L. came out to see the issues after my complaint. Passed them off as me being "picky" and saw nothing wrong. Told me he would get back to me, of course never has. Pathetic.

For $12000 dollars I expect a god damn master piece, not a pile of thrown together sh*t.

Matt from Calgary
Matt from Calgary

Just terrible

The first visit went well. I was impressed with Joe's initial presentation. Then everything else was a shambles. The concrete pour was rushed. They had to come back and SEPARATELY pour the missing frost wall which means the join is weak. They left our pad uncovered despite forecast for a heavy rain and it dumped all over our wet pad. ALL the sealing washed off. Joe assured me he would get it re-applied and NEVER DID. He then asked me to front him money so he could pay his "guys". This despite the job not being complete. The siding was another fiasco and has multiple issues. Less than one year later our pad is cracked and needs repair. Avoid this company is my recommendation. The only competent employee was the foreman who seemed on the verge of quitting.

Stace from Calgary
Stace from Calgary

Garage Pad and Sidewalk

I contacted a few companies to get some quotes on a garage pad and sidewalk. C & J Construction was short listed and after reviewing some of their past work, I decided to engage their services. Everything was going fine until we noticed the grade (4” over 26’) coming back towards the house on the forms, the day before the concrete pour. We told the contractor about our concern and they stated, “we’ll fix it”. The next day the concrete was poured and when I got home from work to look at the pour, I noticed that the contractor put a 1.75” grade on a 3’ wide sidewalk. The entire length of the sidewalk looked horrible as it was sloped drastically to one side and it was difficult to even walk on as well!

The owner came out and he didn’t see anything wrong with it, even though I stated there should have been a 4” step from the garage pad to connect the sidewalk back to the house. He said it was more work for them and this is just as good as they do this all the time. This is another example of a contractor trying to cut corners! The only good thing I can say about the work that C & J Construction performed, was that the concrete surfacing finish was exceptional. However the forming has to be solid as it is the structure, and from this experience I will never use or recommend C & J Construction ever again!

More about C & J Construction

C & J Construction has its roots in Calgary since 1974, we are a well established family run business. We do residential garage building and concrete construction along with complete foundations. We also do commercial slab work and foundations. C & J Construction employs up to thirty people and we ...
Looking for Concrete Contractors pros in Calgary?