David R. Smith Design Inc.

401 Craven Rd. Toronto ON M4L 2Z5
Drafting Service
David R. Smith Design Inc.

Best of 2020 winner 6 timesBest of 2020winner 6 times

Reviews for David R. Smith Design Inc.

Joanna
Joanna

Look no further! Our new build in Toronto

We learned of David through a friend who highly recommended him. After one phone call my husband was ready to hire David, and after meeting him in person I agreed. Then, when we looked at the HomeStars reviews, our feelings were confirmed. The positive feedback is all true.

We are nearing the home stretch of building our dream home from scratch, in a relatively tight urban lot, and the whole design process with David has been smooth and stress-free.

Communications with David have been a pleasure - he's friendly and professional, a great listener, clear and concise, and has an amazing response time. He's been totally supportive throughout, and working on the design has felt like an equal partnership, with no ego getting in the way at all. This was something I had feared before we started our project, but it's just been fun and exciting instead.

Moreover, I am so grateful that David has served us so well as our representative at the City, in this way he has also been an incredible asset. We set ourselves the challenge of building without needing to go to COA, and so David's knowledge of all the code intricacies has been invaluable. No doubt if we did have to go to the COA I'd want David to do it for us!

Obviously we highly recommend David. We would not hesitate to ask him to help us again. Thanks David for everything.

Thank you Joanna for taking the time to post such a kind and generous review, I know how busy you are so this really means a lot. You and Chris were wonderful to work with and the time and energy you spent on the design yourself and all of the creativity that you brought to the project really helped make it into something special. This was truly a team effort and I am very excited to see how everything turns out, what has already been built looks great and I can’t wait to see the rest come together. It will be so nice to have you and Chris in the neighbourhood and I look forward to bumping into each other in the future...until then, take care and all the best!

kevin in Guelph
kevin in Guelph

Property severance

David is a very well spoken professional who helped us sever our property in Toronto. From the beginning he was a pleasure to work with. He is very educated and talented in his work.  He was excellent at representing us at the Committee of Adjustment. I would highly recommend David to anyone who is looking for a true professional. Thank you David for all of your hard work in making our dreams come true!

Thank you Kevin for the kind words and for taking the time to post your review, I really appreciate it. It was a pleasure working with you on such a meaningful and important project, the City process for this application was one of the longest and most educational that I have had the opportunity to be a part of and I am grateful for the learning that came with it, as well as to have been able to help and participate in the journey. All the best and take care!

Danielle in Toronto
Danielle in Toronto

Rear addition

David is a pleasure to work with. He provides prompt service is very professional and has a great attention to detail providing plans, renderings, permits and listening to our design requests.

Thank you Danielle for the great review and taking the time to post it, you and George were wonderful to work with and I am very pleased with the way everything turned out. I know you guys are going to love the addition and how it transforms and extends both floor levels, I am also very excited to see the new kitchen. Take care and all the best!

amoffat77 in Toronto
amoffat77 in Toronto

Architectural consulting, drafting floor plans, construction permits

David is very professional, delivers great design advise, is a clear communicator, and follows up and completes the work on schedule. The permits he submitted for our reno on our behalf were approved by the city in about a week! Fantastic service!

Thank you Andrew for taking the time to post such a generous review, I really appreciate it. You and Samantha were a pleasure to work with and I am so pleased that we were able to accommodate your tight timeline. Take care and all the best!

Angela in Toronto
Angela in Toronto

Basement Design Plans

Working with David Smith was a very positive experience. He has keen knowledge of design ideas and suggested new ways of thinking about my floor plan. His drawings were very detailed. He is very knowledgeable about city permits and how to obtain them. He was available for ongoing questions once my construction began. I highly recommend David.

A very sincere thank you for taking the time to post such a generous HomeStars review Angela. You were a pleasure to work with and I am so happy to have been able to help with your project. Take care and all the best!

BJ in Toronto
BJ in Toronto

Third Floor Addition

We first met David over a year ago when we were searching for an Architect to help us with our renovation plans. From the start David was professional, laid back and his wealth of knowledge was very clear. We spent a lot of time going back and forth on various ideas over the course of a year and David was always helpful and supportive as we worked our way through this stressful process. David was able to provide us with so many great suggestions and options for our project. The renderings he created for us were great at helping us visualize the spaces, and have been very helpful throughout the construction phase as well. We're grateful we were able to work with him.

A heartfelt thanks BJ for such a kind review and for the opportunity to collaborate on your project. We spent a lot of time exploring and reviewing options which is part of the process and so integral to finding the best scenario. I think that your pragmatic and considerate approach to your budget, wish list and priorities really helped us identify what design “checked the most boxes” for you. I am really happy that you found the renderings helpful, I think they are such a great tool for visualization and will become a staple of the process moving forward, they’re also so much nicer then just looking at plans on their own. I can’t wait to see the finished project, thanks again and all the best!

Ashley in Toronto
Ashley in Toronto

Planning, Visual Design, Permits

Working with David was a delight and set the tone for the level of professionalism I experienced while working together. David was prompt, transparent and responsive when I had questions. Of particular note, was David's ability to clearly articulate key design aspects over the phone. David's ability to be flexible and patient was demonstrated when I wanted to make changes quickly after a discussion when decisions had already been reached. Without question I will be contacting David for my next renovation project!!

Thank you Ash for taking the time to post this review and for the very kind words, it was a pleasure working with you on this project. Though our experience working together was brief, it’s always nice to work with someone who is organized and has a clear idea of what they want. I know the final space will be fantastic and look forward to hearing all about it when it’s complete. All the best and take care!

SSingh
SSingh

Drawing, Permit Application and Cof A representation

I really enjoyed working with David. He has been very patient through the entire design process...even thought we changed our mind several times.
I really liked the way he utlisizes every corner of the house to create the flow.
Lastly, he is very well versed with the city by-laws and knew how to handle our permit and the hearing . He takes personal interest in every aspect of the design process.

Thank you S. for such a great review, I really appreciate you taking the time to post it. You and your husband were a pleasure to work with, your patience and flexibility were truly appreciated. I also really enjoyed the opportunity to work with you in designing your home in coordination with the SubhaVaastu, this was a truly unique experience. I can’t wait to see the completed building, please keep me posted and stay in touch.Thanks again and all the best!

PT in Toronto
PT in Toronto

Rear extension to width of semi, upstairs master with en-suite

David was a pleasure to work with from the beginning. After taking considerable time to listen to our vision, he came up with a plan that totally worked, including things we wouldn’t have thought of. We extended the back of our semi to maximum width and extended the upstairs rear bedroom to include an en-suite. David mercifully obtained our permits and communicated regularly throughout the process. Thrilled with his work. Everything was efficient, transparent and professionally handled. Would totally recommend him. Well worth the money. Saved us money in the end.

Thank you Penny for such a wonderful and generous review, I really appreciate it. You were fantastic to work with and I think it was really a team effort. I am thrilled that you are so pleased with how everything turned out and can’t wait to see the finished addition. All the best and keep in touch!

Leslie in Toronto
Leslie in Toronto

Main Flr Extension Design, Committee of Adjustment & Permit

I reached out to David after reading the reviews about him on HomeStars, and am happy to have the opportunity to provide one of those reviews to help guide others to him!

Working with David was totally stress-free. He listened, offered meaningful suggestions, and I felt that he really wanted to take the time needed to get it right. Not that it took a lot of time on his end... to be honest, I created huge delays and David was incredibly patient with me. Though I was not always able to be as responsive as I might normally be (my excuse would totally excuse me :), he never once made me feel that he was frustrated or put out in any way. Truly a genuine, lovely guy & I found him to be quite brilliant at what he does!

Thank you Leslie for the very kind words and thoughtful review, this means a lot. Working with you was a real pleasure, you had a clear idea of what you wanted but were open to ideas and pragmatic about the limitations of the space. I think that our personalities and interests resonated nicely and that this contributed to such a positive collaboration. Your addition will be a truly unique space and one that I hope you will enjoy for years to come. All the best and take care!

More about David R. Smith Design Inc.

Providing an honest and relaxed approach to the design experience.

David Smith is a registered BCIN Designer with almost two decades worth of experience in the industry of Architecture and Design/Build. Specializing in residential additions, alterations and new buildings in the Toronto area.