David R. Smith Design Inc.

Drafting Service
401 Craven Rd. Toronto ON M4L 2Z5
HomeStars  >  Drafting Service in Toronto  >  David R. Smith Design Inc.

Reviews for David R. Smith Design Inc.

Frank from Toronto
Frank from Toronto

Basement Design & Permits

Having used David in the past for design and permitting for my parents' deck, my wife and I contacted him when we decided to dig out and finish the basement of our row house in Riverside we knew it would be a daunting task that's why we were so glad to have had David involved in the project.

David is very approachable and engaged, and made us feel comfortable right off the bat helping flesh out the idea of what we wanted from the space and offering suggestions to make it better than we could have made it on our own.

In addition to having an excellent design sensibility, David is also efficient in getting the permitting cleared away with a minimum of hassle so we could get the work started. He is quickly becoming our go-to designer for any home projects we have.

Thank you Frank for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review, it’s always a pleasure working with you and Ingrid and I am always happy to help where I can. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished basement, I know that the added space will really make a difference. All the best and keep in touch!

Molly E & Brad T in Old Toronto
Molly E & Brad T in Old Toronto

Design and permitting for Contemporary home renovation

David’s review

We had full intentions of vetting 3 architects for our major renovation, but after our first initial meeting with David we felt we didn’t need to interview anyone else. David took the time to ask many questions and really listened to our answers, and came up with a design for our new home that was exactly what we had envisioned. He was very detailed and transparent with us through the committee of adjustment and permitting process, and handled every single detail.
During construction we ran into structural issues with our existing foundation and later clerical issues with city, due to the foundation issue. In both instances, David was always readily available to provide us guidance, advice and support and was instrumental in helping us navigate the city’s bureaucracy once again so we could get our renovation back on track.

We highly recommend David to anyone looking for an architect to help with your renovation big or small, as well as the essential skills he has in dealing with the city’s building permit process.

Molly and Brad, a sincere and heartfelt thank you for taking the time to craft and post such a thoughtful review. I know you both have very busy lives so the time invested means a lot. It has been a real pleasure working with the two of you on this project and I look forward to seeing the finished product when it is completed. I know that the headaches that you had to endure with the City were not pleasant and I wanted to say that your patience and calm demeanor was appreciated at all times. You both have fought for this design for a long time and I can’t wait for the dream to become reality. All the best and please keep in touch!

A point of clarification for all potential readers; I am a registered BCIN holder, not an Architect. I know that sometimes the term Architect is unintentionally used as a blanket descriptor for all professions that assist with the design of people’s homes, nevertheless I feel obliged to make this clarification, most importantly out of respect for those that have endured the substantial process to become an Architect.

permits in a flash

we had an issue regarding permits and David through his history and dealings with the city had gotten them to issue a permit before the weekend started and therefore our project wasn't held up. Thanks David

Thanks Dale for the review!
It's always nice when things align with the City and move efficiently, happy to help and to hear that your project wasn't delayed.
Happy holidays and all the best!

U.in Toronto
U.in Toronto

Design and Permitting

My experience David R. Smith has been outstanding. His skills go beyond creative and proficient design talent. David's ability to truly listen and accurately reflect my project goals in the design plan was impressive. His intelligent design plan will serve my family well for long into the future.
In addition to all the foregoing, he is a pleasure to work with, respectful, attentive and responsive. Highly recommended!

Thank you Ulla for the great review and for taking the time to post it, you were a pleasure to work with and I am happy that I was able to help out with your project. Your practical and patient attitude towards the design process and your careful consideration of the construction costs really helped us efficiently develop a plan that suited your needs. We made a great team and I know the end result will enhance every aspect of your daily life. All the best!

Mark in Toronto
Mark in Toronto

Basement Renovation and New Walkout Design

David was a delight to work with. He met with us many times and always gave us lots of options, each time bringing his own personal and unique touch to the design. He resolved a couple of tricky issues for us, given the age of our house and worked well with our contractor to finalize everything about our design before shovels went into the ground. A pleasure to work with and I would highly recommend him.

Thank you so much Mark for taking the time to post such a great review, I know you have a lot going on right now so it means that much more. Working with you and Kate on this project was a lot of fun; your attention to detail and high level of organization made the process very relaxed and enjoyable all the way through. I can’t wait to see the finished space and especially the mudroom, I know that with the kids that extra space will be a game changer…all the best!

House Revovation Design in Toronto
House Revovation Design in Toronto

Design Plans for House Renovation

Our entire experience with David was excellent and we would highly recommend David R. Smith Design! He delivered on all promises and was timely, thorough, detailed and easy to work with. We respect David and all the ideas he offered in helping us plan for our house renovation. In addition, we really appreciated his pricing which was well worth it.

Thank you Julia for the kind words and taking the time to post this review. I had a great time working with both of you on this project and loved the fact that you guys were so easy going and open minded. Keep me posted on the reno and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks again and all the best!

Aleksandra from Toronto
Aleksandra from Toronto

House Reno

I interviewed several architects before choosing David - and I am so glad I did! He has been amazing throughout the whole process. He was always patient, ready to answer any questions and super accommodating. If you are looking for someone kind, patient, talented and easy to work with - look no further. He is highly professional and will not disappoint! I already recommended him to all my friends, who are super satisfied with his service.

A huge thanks Aleksandra for taking the time to draft such a generous and thoughtful review. I know you have your hands full with the kids and now a large scale renovation so it really means a lot. I think your attention to detail and willingness to explore new ideas and directions really helped shape the final design. I have no doubt that your new house will be the most impressive on your street and you can proudly tell everyone you had a huge part in the process. Thank you as well for the kind referrals, your neighbours and friends are all fantastic clients. I look forward to seeing the completed building!

richard in Toronto
richard in Toronto

Whole home update and reno

David's approach to our project was both professional and thorough. Even with our indecision he was very patient and thoughtful with responses and ideas. We felt like his only clients.

Thanks Rich for the kind words and for taking the time to post the review. You and Liesl were a pleasure to work with, your ideas were great and your continued feedback really helped steer the design productively. I must say that I also enjoyed the complimentary home brew at each design review, can't wait for your line of craft beers!
Keep in touch.

Dale from Toronto

A thoroughly satisfied repeat customer!

We used David for a second renovation and again, we're completely satisfied! David not only expedited the original design, changes were also handled very quickly. We had permits (original and revisions) approved in record time! David also always goes above and beyond. He is not only our designer, we also consult him on areas that extend beyond his regular scope of work. And he's always very helpful! We'll continue to use David for future projects and highly recommend him to anyone looking for a designer!

Thank you Dale for the kind words and taking the time to post this review, it means a lot. You’re always a pleasure to work with as well, both you and Carol make a great team and I see many more successful projects in your future. Keep in touch and all the best!

A Kwan
A Kwan

Major Home Renovation and Addition

We purchased a home and knew that we wanted to completely renovate it, add a two-story addition and finish the basement. Not knowing where to start, we found David R. Smith design through a recommendation from our general contractor. Having read through all the reviews on Homestars for David R. Smith design, we can genuinely say that the positive reviews are all true. David is one of those rare people in the industry that you will go back to time and time again because of his experience, high quality of work and he’s just a really nice guy that you can freely talk to.

We hired David to draft our house plans and to take care of all aspects of apply for and obtaining building permits.
Starting from a few ideas from Pinterest, David created various designs taking into account all the things on our wish list. Having vast experience with the process of home design, David is able relate to the difficult decisions that need to be made balancing budget vs features. He is a great sounding board for ideas and recommendations and is extremely patient with making changes to designs.

During the later stages of the design process, David worked extensively with our general contractor to finalize our house plans. While reviewing the designs, it was clear that David is extremely knowledgeable with the technical aspects of structural design, building codes and experience with resolving issues.

During the permit application process, David expertly navigated the process to expedite obtaining the building permits. He constantly followed up with the City reviewers and made sure to keep our application top of mind for them.

We really could not have found a better person and company to help us through the process and we greatly appreciate the work that was done.

Thank you Arvie for taking the time to post such a generous review, I know you have a lot going on right now so it means that much more. Working with you on this project has been a lot of fun, your attention to detail, high level of organization and commitment to thinking things through really made the process fulfilling and I know has delivered a final design of exceptional quality and specificity to your needs. Throughout this experience you have been flexible, realistic regarding compromises and very open to complimentary ideas and approaches and again this really took what could have been a complicated and relatively stressful project and kept it enjoyable and on track. Thank you once more for the opportunity to work together and I wish you many years of happiness in your new home.

More about David R. Smith Design Inc.

Providing an honest and relaxed approach to the design experience.

David Smith is a registered BCIN Designer with over a decades worth of experience in the industry of Architecture and Design/Build. Specializing in residential additions, alterations and new buildings in the Toronto area.