David R. Smith Design Inc.

Drafting Service
401 Craven Rd. Toronto ON M4L 2Z5
HomeStars  >  Drafting Service in Toronto  >  David R. Smith Design Inc.

Reviews for David R. Smith Design Inc.

WS from Toronto
WS from Toronto

Whole House Reno & Extension

We are really glad to have gone with David for our whole house redesign, and have his help throughout our very lengthy process (the lengthy part is because of us, David was super responsive and communicative, even having a newborn child in that time). Without him, we would not have made it through all the hurdles in our design, committee, applications, neighbours, and permits.

David is professional, receptive, and honest. I asked him for an ensuite, even though my wife didn't think it could work; and there it was. His advice was definitely helpful in guiding us towards our goals.

David even made referrals along the way, which we took advantage of, including our structural engineer and general contractor. We would definitely go with David again in the future for other jobs given our experience. Even though the design process is over and the build begins, David still offers to chime in and help on things. Thanks again, David!

Thank you Tim for taking the time to post such a thoughtful review, I know that with the new baby on the way (congrats again) and the reno in full swing you have your hands full, so it means a great deal that you found the time to write this. You guys were a pleasure to work with, I really appreciated the fact that you took your time to do your research so that you could make educated decisions, often people feel the need to rush through this process. After the renovation is completed I am not sure you will know what to do with yourself as you will have so much more space than what you’re used to, it will feel like a new home. I am so excited for you guys and can’t wait to see the finished build, please don’t hesitate to reach out for anything during the construction process. Thanks again and take care!

Adam in Toronto
Adam in Toronto

Garage Design, Permit, and Representation with City

David was incredibly helpful, insightful, and supportive from the very start of our project. From our discussions with him, it was clear that his highest priority was ensuring that the final design fit within our needs and budget. He took care of navigating the complex process of zoning and applying through the committee of adjustment with the city on our behalf with a minimum of stress. He's subsequently made himself available even after his part of the project was complete to help us navigate the construction phase with our contractor. We can't recommend him highly enough.

Thank you so much Adam for the kind words and for taking the time to post this review, it was a pleasure working with you and Aislinn on this project. I hope you guys love the garage and all the extra storage it provides; I know that with your growing family it will get well used. All the best and take care!

Brent in Old Toronto
Brent in Old Toronto

House renovation

Excellent service!

We highly recommend David to anyone who is looking for professional, reliable, friendly and current with the latest construction/design trends.
We had a whole-house remodeling project which included main floor gut and redesign, addition of a third floor including new master bedroom and full bath as well finish our basement. David was very professional and an expert at what he does. He completed the project within the scheduled time frame.
David is so kind, so honest and pays attention to every detail, no matter how big or small the job is. He was very generous with his time and came to our house at the shortest of notice to walk through any questions he had no matter what time of day and on weekends. He gave us a very fair price for a great quality work.
It was a pleasure to work with David and his company to achieve the desired outcome.

We would highly recommend him.

Thanks David

Thank you Brent for the extremely kind words and for taking the time to post this review. It was a real pleasure working with you and Paula on this and I am so excited to see the end result. I know you have waited a long time to do this renovation and I can’t wait to see how much you enjoy the new space. All the best with the construction, I know Greg will do a great job! Thanks again!

Frank from Toronto
Frank from Toronto

Basement Design & Permits

Having used David in the past for design and permitting for my parents' deck, my wife and I contacted him when we decided to dig out and finish the basement of our row house in Riverside we knew it would be a daunting task that's why we were so glad to have had David involved in the project.

David is very approachable and engaged, and made us feel comfortable right off the bat helping flesh out the idea of what we wanted from the space and offering suggestions to make it better than we could have made it on our own.

In addition to having an excellent design sensibility, David is also efficient in getting the permitting cleared away with a minimum of hassle so we could get the work started. He is quickly becoming our go-to designer for any home projects we have.

Thank you Frank for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review, it’s always a pleasure working with you and Ingrid and I am always happy to help where I can. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished basement, I know that the added space will really make a difference. All the best and keep in touch!

Molly E & Brad T in Old Toronto
Molly E & Brad T in Old Toronto

Design and permitting for Contemporary home renovation

David’s review

We had full intentions of vetting 3 architects for our major renovation, but after our first initial meeting with David we felt we didn’t need to interview anyone else. David took the time to ask many questions and really listened to our answers, and came up with a design for our new home that was exactly what we had envisioned. He was very detailed and transparent with us through the committee of adjustment and permitting process, and handled every single detail.
During construction we ran into structural issues with our existing foundation and later clerical issues with city, due to the foundation issue. In both instances, David was always readily available to provide us guidance, advice and support and was instrumental in helping us navigate the city’s bureaucracy once again so we could get our renovation back on track.

We highly recommend David to anyone looking for an architect to help with your renovation big or small, as well as the essential skills he has in dealing with the city’s building permit process.

Molly and Brad, a sincere and heartfelt thank you for taking the time to craft and post such a thoughtful review. I know you both have very busy lives so the time invested means a lot. It has been a real pleasure working with the two of you on this project and I look forward to seeing the finished product when it is completed. I know that the headaches that you had to endure with the City were not pleasant and I wanted to say that your patience and calm demeanor was appreciated at all times. You both have fought for this design for a long time and I can’t wait for the dream to become reality. All the best and please keep in touch!

A point of clarification for all potential readers; I am a registered BCIN holder, not an Architect. I know that sometimes the term Architect is unintentionally used as a blanket descriptor for all professions that assist with the design of people’s homes, nevertheless I feel obliged to make this clarification, most importantly out of respect for those that have endured the substantial process to become an Architect.

Dale from Toronto
Dale from Toronto

permits in a flash

we had an issue regarding permits and David through his history and dealings with the city had gotten them to issue a permit before the weekend started and therefore our project wasn't held up. Thanks David

Thanks Dale for the review!
It's always nice when things align with the City and move efficiently, happy to help and to hear that your project wasn't delayed.
Happy holidays and all the best!

U.in Toronto
U.in Toronto

Design and Permitting

My experience David R. Smith has been outstanding. His skills go beyond creative and proficient design talent. David's ability to truly listen and accurately reflect my project goals in the design plan was impressive. His intelligent design plan will serve my family well for long into the future.
In addition to all the foregoing, he is a pleasure to work with, respectful, attentive and responsive. Highly recommended!

Thank you Ulla for the great review and for taking the time to post it, you were a pleasure to work with and I am happy that I was able to help out with your project. Your practical and patient attitude towards the design process and your careful consideration of the construction costs really helped us efficiently develop a plan that suited your needs. We made a great team and I know the end result will enhance every aspect of your daily life. All the best!

Mark in Toronto
Mark in Toronto

Basement Renovation and New Walkout Design

David was a delight to work with. He met with us many times and always gave us lots of options, each time bringing his own personal and unique touch to the design. He resolved a couple of tricky issues for us, given the age of our house and worked well with our contractor to finalize everything about our design before shovels went into the ground. A pleasure to work with and I would highly recommend him.

Thank you so much Mark for taking the time to post such a great review, I know you have a lot going on right now so it means that much more. Working with you and Kate on this project was a lot of fun; your attention to detail and high level of organization made the process very relaxed and enjoyable all the way through. I can’t wait to see the finished space and especially the mudroom, I know that with the kids that extra space will be a game changer…all the best!

House Revovation Design in Toronto
House Revovation Design in Toronto

Design Plans for House Renovation

Our entire experience with David was excellent and we would highly recommend David R. Smith Design! He delivered on all promises and was timely, thorough, detailed and easy to work with. We respect David and all the ideas he offered in helping us plan for our house renovation. In addition, we really appreciated his pricing which was well worth it.

Thank you Julia for the kind words and taking the time to post this review. I had a great time working with both of you on this project and loved the fact that you guys were so easy going and open minded. Keep me posted on the reno and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks again and all the best!

Aleksandra from Toronto
Aleksandra from Toronto

House Reno

I interviewed several architects before choosing David - and I am so glad I did! He has been amazing throughout the whole process. He was always patient, ready to answer any questions and super accommodating. If you are looking for someone kind, patient, talented and easy to work with - look no further. He is highly professional and will not disappoint! I already recommended him to all my friends, who are super satisfied with his service.

A huge thanks Aleksandra for taking the time to draft such a generous and thoughtful review. I know you have your hands full with the kids and now a large scale renovation so it really means a lot. I think your attention to detail and willingness to explore new ideas and directions really helped shape the final design. I have no doubt that your new house will be the most impressive on your street and you can proudly tell everyone you had a huge part in the process. Thank you as well for the kind referrals, your neighbours and friends are all fantastic clients. I look forward to seeing the completed building!

More about David R. Smith Design Inc.

Providing an honest and relaxed approach to the design experience.

David Smith is a registered BCIN Designer with over a decades worth of experience in the industry of Architecture and Design/Build. Specializing in residential additions, alterations and new buildings in the Toronto area.