I had noticed a gas smell around the fireplace area and knew something was wrong. The fireplace came on without any problems, but I knew there shouldn't be a heavy gas smell when it's off as the pilot light would not give that much of a smell. I called Norfolk Mechanical, a local HVAC company to have a look. The service man came and used his detection tool and noticed that there was a leak inside the fireplace and fixed the leak. I was happy with their fast service and repair and would recommend them to anyone.