Wooden Floors By Malcolm

Floor Laying & Refinishing
HAMILTON ON L8E 3K5
HomeStars  >  Floor Laying & Refinishing in Hamilton  >  Wooden Floors By Malcolm

Reviews for Wooden Floors By Malcolm

Private User reviews Hamilton, ON

Turned old and very tired floors into something that looked brand new!

We live in an old house where the wood floors are almost 100 years old. The had had a good life and although I was hoping they could be saved, I really wasn't sure. That being said, Malcolm came in and took one look and was sure he could do it. We've got a great walnut inlay and we didn't want to lose it... I'm so happy with the results. Floors were saved and look brand new. Malcolm was meticulous at filling gaps, sinking nails and repairing missing pieces of flooring; we are thrilled with the results and would (and have) recommend his work.

W Reginald. in Hamilton
W Reginald. in Hamilton
1 review Hamilton, ON

Wooden Floors by Malcolm is the best!

Malcolm did a class A job on our stairs. He was diligent, honest and professional. He has also done other work for us and I highly recommend him. He has many years in business and it shows.

Private User reviews Burlington, ON

Refinishing wood floors

We wanted to have our first floor hardwood floors refinishing. The house is 80 years old with the original flooring. We wanted to bring life back to the original floors while keeping with the style of the era in which it was built. Malcolm provided a quote which in the end was the cost paid. He did an exceptional job with the floors, not only taking the time to really ensure that they would be brought back to their original state and was extremely patient and helpful with the choosing of a stain colour. He completed the job in the outlined time frame and was always professional and courteous in his manner. I would 100% have him complete a job for us again....in fact we plan to have him to the upstairs of our home in the next year. Can't say enough positive about his work, his work ethic and his professional demeanour.

drelawson1
drelawson1

Spectacular floor refinishing

We could not be happier with our floors! We had multiple companies tell us our old floors weren't worth saving- they were in rough shape. Malcolm came in and was excited about the project and confident about the outcome. And he delivered! He was meticulous, friendly and very knowledgeable. He gave us a timeline and budget and met both without a problem. We are so happy with the results -- way beyond our expectations. Thanks Malcolm!

Theresa in
Theresa in

Floor refinished

We are so loving the look of our living room and dining room floors! Malcolm brought new life to our wooden floors. We thought there would have been a lot of dust, but his equipment kept it to a bare minimum. Plus, he took care to put up plastic sheeting to contain the dust to the work area. He completed the job in the quoted time frame​. We like the fact that he works on his own, no worries about multiple people in and out of the house. Makes for a consistent, more personalized project. We would definitely recommend him to anyone who wants to revive their wooden floors.

dax in Hamilton
dax in Hamilton

Hardwood floor refinishing

Malcom refinished our hardwood floors on the first floor and they look amazing and like new (included rough shape of floors that needed major repairs). We are recommending Malcom highly!

Brett Cherniak from Hamilton
Brett Cherniak from Hamilton

Beyond Expectations

I bought a 110-year-old home in Sept '15 and became motivated to unearth the original pine floors on the second level. After removing carpet and several layers of tile they were unearthed, we discovered a previous own had not been delicate with their approach to installing plumbing for their upstairs bathroom. I had intended to undertake these repairs and refinish the floor myself (which was only coated with a relatively thin layer of paint), but thankfully Malcolm's name was passed my way.

I had someone come by for a quote and quickly state that they would rather install a new floor then even attempt the project, whereas Malcolm arrived with optimism and enthusiasm to the project. He was generally excited and interested in the work, was filled with knowledge, attention and pride.

Malcolm refinished the upstairs, around 250 sqft, as well as the staircase. The latter had been coated in paint and after sanding, we discovered it was plywood. Sturdy, original - we believe - plywood. It's different, but looks great and works with the house. Also, his approach to the repairs - match best not perfect, squared or rounded off by not offset - worked well and added some nice character, show off the age and the history of the house.

Bottom line: miles better than anything I could have attempted, not to mention quicker as well. If you have an old, especially unique floor you're considering refinishing, get Malcolm by for a quote. A value-adding reno without a doubt.

Private User reviews Hamilton, ON

Staincase staining

We hired Malcolm to stain our newly installed maple staircase. When other contractors "no bid" the job because of the issues with staining maple, Malcolm eagerly took on the task. The job was completed on time and within the budget. The staircase looks fantastic! He even took the time to help us with the color choices and applied the stain to some sample pieces to ensure the end result. Malcolm comes highly recommended.

Bk88 in Stoney Creek
Bk88 in Stoney Creek
2 reviews Hamilton, ON

Unfinished work DO NOT USE

I recently hired this guy (Malcolm) in April 2016. He was referred to me by a coworker who said he did good work. My coworker is very picky and meticulous so I trusted her judgment and reading reviews on his website he seemed ok. Now I wished I had read the reviews on HomeStars.....

I had screw holes in my floors because I had to fix the squeaks from Top to Bottom since I did not have access to the underside. Now I am not asking for perfection, I know when you screw a hole into the floor you will still be able to see it once it is filled.

This is my irritation. Some of these holes (although it is written in ink that holes will be filled) WERE NOT ATTEMPTED TO BE FILLED!!! I can slip an unravelled paper clip right through the floor! (I didn't screw screws into some holes as I had missed the joist if some of you are wondering why I can put stuff through, this was supposed to be filled with putty AND then urethaned over....)

Not only that, there was a dent and gouge (that can be felt) on my main floor that appeared near the end of the job and when I discussed this with him he refused to acknowledge that it came from his equipment and repeatedly said it was disclaimed. So you can damage and scratch all my floors once they're done and not pay for damages? According to him yes!??!

So upon this dispute, he just packed up and left demanding final payment. I said no, I still need to inspect the top floor and staircase (He had JUST finished putting a fresh coat of urethane so it was unwalkable). I also told him I needed to have a bill and be able to have a final inspection before I give you the final payment.

I did not say I was trying to swindle him by not paying, I simply said I want to inspect. Also, the entire time I paid instalments, I did not receive any receipts from this guy of my payments or an invoice/bill. Just going by the initial estimate/"contract". I did not sign anything either.

Upon inspection once everything was dried, I can now see that some of the holes were left unfilled! Through emails I told him this and showed him pictures, and he actually accused me of digitally altering these photos. Not only that, he said I was being unreasonable by taking a photo couple inches from the floor. So I showed him pictures from 4 ft away (as he requested in his website, beware this is also his disclaimer). He refuses to acknowledge that there are holes there when they are clearly there (see for yourself) and I can slip things through those holes!

He also believes that just because it's inside a closet, less care can be taken. That's like sweeping dirt under the rug because you can't see it!

There are a lot more issues that I am not even being picky about. I had requested multiple times that all I want is for him to come fill the holes and I will pay. But he refuses to deal with me and instead goes directly into collections. Wouldn't it just be easier to come fill the holes? Than to tick off a customer?

He is also illegally tacking on "overtime" charges adding on an extra $500 that was never agreed to verbally or written. Absolutely unbelievable as I have paid as requested the instalments through out the entire job and now I am being accused of being a swindler.

I now have to deal with this guy as he will be sending that into collections. I am dreading the phone calls of annoyance from these collection agencies and have to hire legal counsel to protect myself.

I have a right to inspect a final completion of a job AND not have to pay for shotty work. See for yourself in the attached photos.

Julie
Julie
3 reviews Hamilton, ON

Refinished hardwood floors

Malcolm did a great job refinishing our old hardwood floors. We live in a century home and weren't even sure if they could be saved. The project took 4 days and he was very meticulous about doing the job right. During the process, he blocked off all other areas of our house to minimize the dust. He sanded them as much as was needed to rid them of all their flaws. He applied an even stain in a beautiful colour and used a satin finish to really enhance the final product. The final price was very fair and same as quoted before the project began. He also saved us some money by only applying as much satin finish as was required for our floors. I would definitely recommend Wooden Floors by Malcolm if you want to refinish your hardwood floors. Our floors look like we installed brand new.