R&B Plumbing & Heating Ltd

HomeStars  >  Plumbing in West Vancouver  >  R&B Plumbing & Heating Ltd

Reviews for R&B Plumbing & Heating Ltd

Naved in Edison
1 review North Vancouver, BC

From an estimate (given to our contractor) of $400 for a gas range connection we asked, we ended up paying them $716. We got into a bad situation when our contractor didn't pay them for the work they did at our townhouse and we ended up paying them the money owing.

Since this was one part of the project - gas line to range, second was to the exterior for a BBQ connection that required a change of pressure valves by Fortis, they would have to come back complete the work.

When my wife went across to pay them, the estimate they gave for the second stage was $850 (400 parts and rest labour).

Matt was the first tech' and had said that the next install won't take that long as he'd done most of the prep. Well, Tyler was the tech for the next phase and he felt a lot more should have been completed by the first tech. He had to have someone from the shop run him parts and had to come by the next day to complete the job.

I had asked them to install the gas conversion kit on my BBQ and was totally prepared to pay for the labour involved.

You can imagine my surprise when we got the invoice - it was $1606!!

When we pointed out the difference, the office staff first waffled and said that was the cost. We pointed out charges that were unreasonable, they came back with approx. $1400. We asked for the owner/manager to talk to us. Instead, they mailed out a demand notice!!!

We paid them off - NEVER AGAIN!! I should have read the reviews here before engaging them!!!

Thanks a lot R&B - I'm willing to pay for services I ask for but I also expect ethical business practices!

Thank-you for your feedback. I hear your concerns about the difference between what you wanted to pay, or perhaps expected to pay, and what the work actually cost have you upset. However, none of the work we were engaged to do for your condo was a written quoted price with a set scope of work. All work was on a time and material basis. I am not sure what your contractor led you to believe regarding what could be expected to be paid for the first stage of the project, but when we book all calls we advise clients of the cost of each hour of work as we did with him. This was also done with your wife when she booked the return call. Additionally, she had the first invoice for her to review pricing and terms of service. There was no quoted estimate for the second stage, but time allowed for booking was based on an amount of time expected based on the scope of work. This time is variable, as you know based on the complexity of the work. In your case, you wife continued to add to the scope of work after our arrival. In addition to that you had a new gas meter installed which BC Safety Code has certain requirements for. Code requires that all gas appliances be clocked - checked for safe operation and correct gas pressures. This added necessary time that was not a part of the original scope of work either. The new gas meter was needed to achieve proper gas pressure for all the new gas fired appliances you wanted for your home. This included the fireplace, barbecue, and range in addition to your water heater. Your wife acknowledged that our tech was on site for the entire time, and working hard. She complimented him on his work ethic and capability, which we always appreciate. The materials used have also been accounted for. Therefore, it can be expected that we would charge for those services and expect to be paid. It is often the case that those doing a renovation change the scope of work midway through a job and I feel that my crew did a good job in accommodating that for you. My Administrative Assistant went above and beyond the call of duty to run to the supplier herself, bringing the additional material needed for the extra work to save you time and money. As the owner / manager, I reviewed all the billing and allowed that a change in the technicians may have accounted for some extra time as the second got up to speed on where the project was at, and I credited an hour of time on your billing. The change in technicians of course, is less than ideal, but we were trying to get your home and cooking facilities running without further delay. We are sorry that our efforts did not yield the outcome you were hoping for. If you have any further grievances I encourage you to contact me again at our office during our service hours at 604-980-1369. – Michelle Blaksic

Art
5 reviews West Vancouver, BC

had issues but the company got them resolved. I am guessing sometimes things got broken and unfortunately they have to be replaced just to get the heating system back in the shape it was. I am considering this bill as a 'consultation' that I received for my money.

Review has 1 previous version

Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me personally on the phone.

In general when a system is obsolete, and has not been maintained in several years, parts do wear out or break when it is attempted to use them as they were intended.

Thank-you for your acknowledgement that although the parts that would have been used to complete your service were not operational, you were left with working heat while the parts are being sourced and ordered.

We endeavor to address all customer service issues personally as we did in this case, and appreciate your kind willingness to speak with us to resolve your concerns.

Martin in North Vancouver
2 reviews North Vancouver, BC

Our sump pump stopped ejecting and we called R&B plumbing for an emergency service. After taking the pump out and confirming that the switch and impeller still work the R&B technician decided to test it by putting in a bucket of water, in the middle of the laundry room. Sure enough we had water all over the ceiling, walls, electrical panel, laundry machines. At this point the R&B technician informed me that ejector pump was not working and that we would need a new one. I received a quote for the pump a few days later – and after confirming the price for the pump online – I agreed to the work. 2 weeks later the R&B technician returned and as he was preparing to install the pump my father in law looked at the box and told him it was the wrong pump. The R&B technician then drove down the hill and picked up the right pump (in stock the entire time) and installed it. The new pump did not work either and then it occurred to the R&B technician that the outlet might be clogged. After clearing the outlet I received a bill of $1,645.04 – to install a pump that we never needed in the first place. On reviewing the bill I noticed that pump was listed $927.44 – but checking the supplier I saw that the actual price that R&B paid was $475.12. When I pointed this error out to R&B plumbing on the phone – she at first told me that the doubling in cost for the pump was for a ‘special’ R&B warranty – although the only warranty on the pump is the one provided manufacturer. After pointing out the facts to Sally again she provided me with a $135.68 ‘good will’ credit towards the pump - that I did not need and that they doubled the price on. I took the time today to go down to the R&B office to provide an opportunity for R&B plumbing to do the right thing and simply charge me the cost of the pump with a customary industry standard 20% markup - which curiously, was the mark-up that was on the original pump I had approved. But they refused saying that the 200% mark-up is entirely justified. What made it worse for me is when I pressed on the fact that their technician had ordered the wrong pump – S informed me that it was the supplier who got it wrong. But of course the pump model is listed on the quote they provided me – so again, just untrue. Disappointing all around.

Hello Mr. Hirst, Again, thank-you for your feedback on this and all the sites you've posted it to. I understand you are concerned both from the point of view of the perceived lack of need for the part, and as well, the perceived mark-up before discounts that were given. Please know that R&B will do a full review of the service and confirm that the price you paid was not in excess of the retail price for the part. R&B will use your experience for training purposes in effort to not only resolve this issue, but to create and maintain good policies going forward.

Assisted Review

Here is a synopsis of the service we received today from R & B Plumbing.

We needed a professional plumber to install warranty replacement parts in our tub and shower system, as well as repair an old sink faucet, and provide a recommendation on what to do about a leaking shut off tap in our basement ceiling.

I’m really pleased we had Geoff from R & B Plumbing do this work. He was on time, very personable, asked great questions, and made practical suggestions on what to do about both the sink faucet and shut off tap. In addition, he installed the warranty replacement parts in the shower, tested the work, and showed me on the old parts what may have caused the problem. Before he left, he explained that he would make notes (on the spot) on the proposed solution for the basement ceiling, and provided other recommendations on what to do before the plumber came to complete the work. We also discussed future work and other services the company could provide, including furnace maintenance, which he outlined in some detail for me.

We’ve been looking for a local company, with a good track record, where we could establish (hopefully) an on-going working relationship. We’ve had other companies do work for us, but unfortunately, have had mixed experiences with them. If Geoff’s approach to customer service and the work he does is any indication of R & B’s reputation in the community, we have every intention of calling again to have our plumbing work completed, as well as call for future work.

Thanks again,
Deanna

Thank-you for your kind comments. You were smart to realize your faucet was still under warranty - most quality faucets have lifetime warranties - and order the parts before our arrival. It allowed us to make the most efficient use of our time with you.

At R&B Plumbing and Heating we pride ourselves on quality service, so it's wonderful to be recognized in such a public way. We are glad you chose us to be your local plumbing company. Most hope not to need the services of a plumbing and heating company, but when you do, we will be there.

Nancy from Vancouver
1 review Vancouver, BC

I called this company out of the phone book because we had a major gas leak when we moved into our new home. We didn’t know exactly where it was so it was a difficult job and we needed a fast response because we had small kids and we had just moved in, with boxes everywhere. The first guy who came thought he had found it, but it wasn’t quite right. They had to send someone back, and he was able to get to the root of the problem and solve it that day. They were both very professional, worked hard and the staff were very upfront about the cost. In the end, there was a little invoicing problem with some extra charges, but I called them and they rectified it without any trouble. I would definitely recommend them to others.

Thank-you so much for the kind comments. We were pleased to resolve your gas leak. It was a challenging one due to the location inside the wall on an elbow. We acknowledge that your billing had an error and thank you for bringing it to our attention so we could rectify it. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Thank -you again, Michelle Blaksic .

Lauren from Vancouver
1 review North Vancouver, BC

I called several plumbers, and even though R&B wasn’t the least expensive I had a good feeling about them. The person I spoke with over the phone was very upfront and explained everything very clearly. Besides good customer service I thought Brent and his work was great. He came in and changed out my toilet and fit in a new sink. He had to wrestle with a very contrary garbage disposal too. He was focused, friendly and obviously knew what he was doing. Having them come out made my move into the house easier. I would highly recommend them.

Thank- you so much for the positive review. It's true, we aren’t always the least expensive, but our goal is to provide customer service that is equal to the price. To attract top quality technicians like Brent, we need to pay competitive wages. Our technicians are handpicked for positive attitude, and a willingness to perform the R&B way. Quality of product, and pride in workmanship, Thank- you again, Rob Blaksic.

Anonymous from Vancouver
1 review Vancouver, BC

I had a pipe leak under my kitchen sink so called these guys up. The person who came and fixed it was really good. I was pleased with the work and would definitely use them again. I had used other companies in the past, but I’m happier with R&B mostly because of their more reasonable pricing and how prompt & thorough they were. I would recommend them & use them again..

Thank -you so much for the kind words. At R&B Plumbing and Heating, we are experienced with leaking pipes. From kitchen sinks to boilers, inside or out, we strive to provide you with the best quality workmanship. Our to the minute billing means that after the first hour, you only pay for what you use. When the water and fund conservation is so important, every drop counts. Thank- you again, Michelle Blaksic.

Jennifer from Vancouver
1 review Vancouver, BC

R&B Plumbing fixed my dryer for me. I think the guy who came was Kyle and he was quite good. I was very satisfied overall and would surely recommend them to anyone in need of plumbing work.

Thank you for the kind words. We always appreciate when our customers share their positive experiences with their family, friends and our future customers! Thank-you again Rob Blaksic .

Terry from Burnaby
1 review Burnaby, BC

I found R&Bs website and decided to have them install a new furnace and hot water tank for me. They were excellent. I’m very familiar with contractor jobs and I found them to be very efficient in their work and their equipment seemed quite good too. They were a little more expensive than the previous company we had, but the quality was better. Would highly recommend them.

Thank- you for the kind words. We always appreciate hearing positive reviews about our technicians. Having the right equipment does make the difference in both time and ease of the job, and R&B is continually improving ours, We are glad that we were able to provide you with an excellent experience. Thank- you again, Michelle Blaksic .

Cordell from North Vancouver
1 review North Vancouver, BC

A while ago I had a problem with my furnace, and I pretty much had already diagnosed what was wrong with it. It just needed something replaced. The guy from R&B came and verified my suspicions and he came with the part that was needed. He was able to fix it quickly and go. Would surely use them again.

Thank- you for the positive review. Dr. Google can be very helpful for our DIY customers and a great way for the customer to gain peace of mind. Your pre-diagnosis meant we could arrive with the most likely part and save you time and money. For our less ambitious customers, our well stocked vans and local suppliers mean that the most common heating replacement parts are available without delay. Thank- you again, Michelle Blaksic

More about R&B Plumbing & Heating Ltd

We are a full service plumbing and heating company operating on the North Shore since 1972. Voted North Shore's best plumber, our goal is to provide our customers with quality choices, expert installation and service, and peace of mind. Whether you need service, repair, maintenance or new in plumbing, heating ...