Sandpiper Energy Solutions

Oakville ON L6H 1S3
HomeStars  >  Heating & Air Conditioning in Oakville  >  Sandpiper Energy Solutions

Reviews for Sandpiper Energy Solutions

Phil and Debbie  in Oakville
Phil and Debbie in Oakville

incompetent or deceitful - not sure which

On 02 May 2018 after a number of unsolicited calls, I allowed a service technician to visit my house to review the existing rental water heater.

The service technician determined that I needed a new heater and recommended a 40 gallon water heater to replace the existing 60 gallon heater – I questioned this at the time (as did the installing contractor) and twice the service technician said he ”would guarantee” I would not run out of hot water.
The monthly rental of the new heater was quoted at $44.95 vs the $16.27 I had previously been paying and the service technician claimed the improved efficiency of the new furnace would offset the increased rental costs.

With hindsight these are warning flags I should have heeded.

Twice in the first 24 hours after installation we ran out of hot water (and once more the following day) so I called the service technician and stated that I wanted to hear his no-cost-to-me proposal to address this issue and he promised to call me back “within an hour once dispatch was open”. Three days later and there been no contact from Sandpiper or the service technician.

Homeowners should be aware that the Consumer Protection Act, 2002
a) provides for a 10 day cooling off period to cancel Agreements such as these, and
b) prohibits the removal and installation of water heating equipment within this cooling off period (a few conditions apply)

I was easily able to find an alternative main-stream supplier offering a 60 gallon heater for $17.34pm and which will also disconnect and remove the Sandpiper’s 40 gallon heater for me, so I have given notice to Sandpiper that I am cancelling this agreement under this cooling off provision & they have 21 days to repossess their heater.

If Sandiper had been honest in that their service call was really a door-to-door sales effort,
the service technician had proposed a solution that was fit for purpose and had made a sincere effort to rectify his mistake, then perhaps there would have been a different outcome.

My advice to homeowners is avoid Sandpiper.

Roy in Toronto
Roy in Toronto
1 review Limehouse, ON

Harassing seniors!

Seeing all the terrible reviews on this company, I almost wasn’t going to bother with my own. In short, constant harassment of my 82 year mother who lives alone. “Annual inspection” b.s., high pressure “upgrade” sales pitch. Current tank still under contract and working fine. Why the urgency to replace it? Money, money, money. One more phone call and they’ll find themselves on the evening news....

shopping in Hamilton
shopping in Hamilton
1 review Hamilton, ON

Trying to set up a new account

I have purchased a new property that apparently has a Sandpiper tankless water heater. I have been trying to set up a new account for this service for almost 2 weeks. First of all, the voice prompts in their automated answering system, does not provide an option for setting up brand new accounts. Second, I have called 3 times to set up a new account and have yet to speak to a person who can do this. I selected option 1 to speak to someone about their services and she proceeded to attempt to transfer my call only to have someone in the billing department cut me off before they answered. I called a week ago and had to finally hang up as I had been on hold for 35 min and no one answered. I am writing this review while I'm on hold again - 23 min and counting. Needless to say when I do get a hold of someone, it will be to tell them to come and remove their equipment. I am going to call the provider at my current house. If this is how Sandpiper treats customers who are looking to do business with them are being treated, I don't want to live through the nightmare of trying to get a service tech if I was ever to need one!

pawlyshyn in Woodstock
pawlyshyn in Woodstock
1 review Woodstock, ON

Water heater repair nightmare

My 95-year-old father signed on with this company a few years back at the front door, not realizing what he was doing. Last summer, his rental water heater broke down and needed to be replaced. It took two weeks for them to install a new one. My father had no hot water during this time. The only option was a huge Reem model — way too much water heater for my father's needs, and for nearly triple the monthly rate compared to his smaller previous model.
Now, less than a year later, the new heater has broken down. My father has been out of hot water for an entire week as of today.
We have phoned Sandpiper every day, and every day they assure us his problem is top priority. But no action. What kind of incompetent, uncaring outfit is this? This is the worst utility company I have ever had to deal with.
After the experience last summer, we considered breaking the contract, but Sandpiper wanted nearly $2000 to do so. However, I feel now it may have been worth it to go with a more reputable company.
My advice: STAY AWAY FROM SANDPIPER.

Mich in Toronto
Mich in Toronto
1 review Hamilton, ON

Rebate

Rips off seniors! My parents decided to get a new water heater and went with Sandpiper because they were told they would get a $700 rebate. Over a year still no rebate. Now they are denying that they told them that.

They also have not received a bill since November. Supposed to be billed every 2 months. They called in and the woman was so rude. She told them they would get one in June. My parents are on a fixed income and trying to figure out how much they owe. The woman says “what do you want me to do make up a bill?” Beware of this place!!

SAYNOTOSANPIPER in Oakville
SAYNOTOSANPIPER in Oakville

DO NOT SIGN WITH SANDPIPER

This company has been nothing but a headache and I have spent allot of time trying to contact their supposed 24/7 service which is non existent, never mind 24/7. I had asked for a contract with the agreed upon terms for example length, price of buyout etc..from the salesman that was at my house and still have not received it. this was in February its now May. When they installed my furnace their techs decided to empty out my A/C of freon and not replace it. Now I have no A/C. Shame on me for not buying the A/C the salesman was so desperate to sell me. So I still don't have the transparent contract I was promised, no A/C, and now they are over billing me over 100 dollars of the agreed upon price.... multiple phone calls and multiple emails and still no response. I lodged an official complaint with the BBB yesterday and tadaa...phone call today from head office, which turned out to be a guy trying to talk down to me, talk circles around me and also tell me I did I receive the contract ive been waiting for, also that he doesnt believe that their techs would of touched my A/C... I told them that I want the contract cancelled for the reasons above and the fact that they are in breach of contract by not providing the service that is guaranteed. He scoffed at that idea, but we'll see. I have kept record of all calls and emails made and they are for sure in breach of contract. This company is criminal... DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING FROM SANDPIPER.

Angry Trevor in Oakville
Angry Trevor in Oakville

Sandpiper Home Energy Solutions

I got the same letter and phone call as everyone else telling me that they had bought the contract and 'needed to come and inspect the equipment'. I smelled a fish when Megan the service rep on the phone told me that I would be told about other services.... I looked it up and saw all the bad reviews so cancelled my appointment. Lo and behold the same lady calls me up and tells me they will be at my house in ten minutes. I told her I cancelled my appointment, and why. She then got very brassy and told me that they own the equipment and have a right to come in and inspect it. I told her it's working fine and no one is setting foot in here without my permission just to upset me on stuff I don’t need. She got very rude and tried to badger and bully me into what is their 'right' to come into my house. I'll cancel and find someone else and they can come pick it up from the road now rather than any of them set foot in my house. Nobody with honest intention gets up your back like that. Do not respond to their ‘mandatory’ inspection, is is a crock and a ruse. They also go under Simply Green as a cover name, and they apparently do not provide anything themselves, it is all contracted out to low level bidders, with no guarantee. It's been on the news. Do not respond if you are smart.

Customer Service is the worst

Don't know how to do 0 stars or I would. Product (rental water heater) is fine, everything else dismal. Since my previous company was switch to Sandpiper I have gasped the following happen:
They didn't send made a paper bill for 3 billing periods but claimed they did.
When I switched to billing automatically to a credit card they took it upon themselves to bill for one month instead of bi-monthly
I received a call from a telephone marketing company saying they were Sandpiper and I had to call urgently about my Sandpiper water heater rental. I know the number was fake, when I called Sandpiper to ask how that company got my information they had no clue and didn't seem too concerned.
They called to book a maintence check on the unit and I had to agree to have their rep, discuss other products. I was told I had to agree to this when I told them I was not interested in "other product". The rep on the phone hung up on me. When I tried to call back I was put on hold and then the pretaped voice said leave a message and someone would call back. Neat trick because you need a code to do that.

I think the maintenance check is just a cover for making a sales call since the can't go door to door any more.
Pretty sick of the whole company.

Unethical Company

Anyone reading this, DO NOT upgrade your tank if they are calling you to do so. I have been a customer for several years as the house I bought had a Sandpiper water heater already installed when I moved in. Fast forward years of paying for a service and multiple calls to have my tank upgraded I finally booked an appointment with them. When the high pressure sales associate came over not only did he talk over me and not answer direct questions, he almost had me sign another ridiculous lengthy contract when something just didn't feel right. When I said I needed the weekend to think about it he was very surprised but let agreed and left. Well long story short, after multiple calls to their office my husband and I realized we had been paying for the last couple of years FOR NOTHING. They just kept billing us and we just kept paying. We demanded our money back for the last few years and they said it was up to us to cancel when our term was up and they would not be refunding anything. This is ironic because every time they called me to book an appointment to upgrade I would ask them when our term was up and they would always dance around the question. I asked for my contract, was told it would be sent to me via email, and nothing ever did come. Finally after speaking to the manager he advised he would not be sending us the contract, really? I have no idea what they have in their contracts that they don't want people to see but as far as I am concerned this company operates unethically, unreasonably and without a doubt are definitely billing other people who don't know any better. I could not believe my ears when they told me I had been paying for nothing. To anyone reading this, Go to home depot, buy a water tank for $500 and get someone to install it for $100. Sandpiper Energy Solutions, Shame on you!

Cam in Oakville
Cam in Oakville

Again Over Charged

I rented an A/C unit in May 2016. I thought preauthorized payments would be a good idea, wrong!!!! For the last year they have double charged me several months and once again this month. I have called and it one excuse after another. I have had it and have contacted the BBB and surprise, surprise they already know about this company. They suggested calling a lawyer and charge them a $30.00 fee for every double payment as they would charge for a late payment. Lawyer suggested I take them to same claims court for breach of contract, not once but several times. I can tell you I would never recommend this company to anyone.

More about Sandpiper Energy Solutions

No Hassles Today or Ever!

We make it simple and affordable to enjoy year-round comfort with a HVAC System that is custom-fit to your lifestyle and budget! Sandpiper's TSSA-Certified Customer Care Technicians look after everything. Your Red Carpet experience begins with on-time arrival of staff who treat your living areas with respect. We use courtesy carpets and disposable boot-covers to keep your home clean and tidy!
Just as important, all the equipment we sell is fully covered by the Sandpiper Lifetime Service Warranty on all parts and labour. We’ll pamper you with 24/7 Emergency Priority Response so you can take your mind off service interruption or unplanned costs.