HomeStars  >  Home Inspection in Toronto  >  Independent Roof Inspection Services

Reviews for Independent Roof Inspection Services

JAM
JAM

Advice on Re-roofing prior to solar installation

About a year ago we decided to put up solar panels on our roof.
Since our roof was about 15 years old, our solar installer recommended that we re-roof first. We had several roofers by, but were getting different advice and wildly different quotes.
We started to feel a bit over our heads and somehow it occurred to us to search for a roof inspector to get some independent advice.

Good thing for that, because it lead us to Dave. Dave has been extremely helpful to us. He started with a full inspection. He wouldn’t tell us which roofer to hire, but steered us in the direction of picking someone reputable. He also pointed out a number of small service jobs that were needed on the roofs not requiring replacement (our house has several roofs). He reviewed our roofing contracts to make sure that everything was included. He also fielded several calls from us offering useful advice.

After the roofers left, Dave came by with his son for a second inspection. I had thought it would be just a formality since I hired reputable roofers. However, he identified some critical deficiencies and omissions that would likely have led to leaks. This included a connection from our flat roof to the neighbor’s roof that wasn’t attached firmly enough and some metal flashing around the chimneys that hadn’t been done. I e-mailed Dave’s report to the roofers and they addressed theses issues within days and sent their own inspector to make sure it was all correct. Dave had me take photos of all their work and he confirmed that the roofers had done a great job remedying everything.

There was also one small reminder from Dave gave us that turned out to be a big help. We did our roofs in two stages: an urgent roof before winter, a second roof only after getting approval for solar. We assumed that we would just use the same roofer for both, but Dave reminded us to always get three quotes. Doing so, we found a new roofer, who would work with the solar installers to protect the installation points and honor their warranty even with solar panels attached to it. This was a big deal to us since our first roofer voided their warranty if anything was attached to the roof. Now we have solar panels plus a ten-year roof-warranty – again thanks to Dave.

We spent well over 10 thousand on the roofs themselves. By spending an extra 400 or so on Dave’s roof inspecting, we made sure that the roof got done right and we found a roofer that would warranty our roof after solar-installation. It also changes your bargaining power when you have your own expert. The roofers responded to Dave’s report right away, without any fuss or bargaining.

Frank in Toronto
Frank in Toronto

Objective & Independent Roof Inspection

We have roof system that includes both shingles and a flat membrane. Although our shingles were clearly in need of replacement, we were unsure about the flat roof. The roofing companies that quoted didn't recommend replacement of the flat roof, but also did not physically go up to the roof to inspect the same (they claimed to rely on drones, but it was most likely other general aerial or satellite imagery as no drone was deployed on my property while I was there). In fairness to them, they were not trying to up-sell me on something I didn't need, but I wanted to ensure that everything that was needed was done (I was worried that they were not pushing the flat roof simply because they didn't do them).

I decided that I wanted an objective and independent point of view and searched for options on the net - where I discovered Dave at IRIS. Dave promptly returned my called and spent good period of time discussing my situation and answer my general questions before I decided to book him.

Dave was easy to book and came out on the weekend when I was home (which my wife appreciated). He conducted a detailed inspection and provided a thorough debriefing on the spot, followed-up with an in-depth emailed report (complete with pictures, etc.). With the information received from Dave, I was able to select a contractor to complete my roof with the comfort of knowing that I had an expert in my corner !! Dave also reviewed the quotes I received, and providing comments and suggestions for further clarity, etc.

Once the work was completed, Dave came back to complete a post-installation inspection to confirm that everything was done properly before final payment to the contractor was made. This added service provides invaluable peace of mind (knowing that the work which I cannot physically inspect myself was properly scrutinized - especially for something as important as a roof - which can be disastrous if it leaks).

Dave was able to provide some other suggestions and fixes to ongoing problems with water drainage, etc. - and even changed some light bulbs in my soffit which I could not reach with my ladder.

I can't recommend Dave enough - top notch service, and a great guy !!!

Chris from Toronto
Chris from Toronto

Attic Inspection

During the thaw after the intense cold spell in January water leaked through a washroom exhaust fan in the upper floor. The home is only 2 years old and still under warranty. The builder tried to pass it off as due to ice damming which is not covered under the Tarion warranty. We engaged the services of IRIS to do an independent inspection.

Dave came in, inspected the attic and immediately found exhaust air leaking from both upper floor washroom exhaust fan ducts in the attic. This was the cause of the moisture build up in the attic leading to the leak. We submitted his report to the builder and Tarion and got the repairs done under warranty.

The entire experience dealing with Dave was a pleasure. He quoted half his regular rate for the inspection since he would not be able to go on top of the roof during winter. But after the inspection, he volunteered to check the top of the roof without charge when he visits the neighborhood for other work during Spring/Summer. His report was accepted without question by both the builder and Tarion.

Dave of IRIS back at it

This repeat customer is glad to know IRIS's owner-operator Dave Baughn is as good as new and that Poppy, his golden retriever, is still with him (though really too pretty for him) at job inspection and remediation sites.

Exceeded Expectations

Dave is a true professional. We were unsure about our roof condition and the problems we were encountering. He came, completed the inspection, and laid out what needed to be done. Our roofer installed a brand new flat roof. Following that, Dave came back again and inspected the work. He found a minor area which needed improvement, and our roofer repaired the mistake that Dave found. Last, our adjoining neighbour completed their roof separately (we're in a semi). Dave came by a third time and inspected the work, to assure us that their work won't negatively impact our property. I would recommend IRIS for anyone who needs roof work done. He was patient and would always show up on-time within a few days. He gave us so much peace of mind. Well worth it. Thanks again Dave.

You are welcome.

Amepro in Toronto
Amepro in Toronto

Home insurance roof inspection

We needed an independent roof inspection report (at the insistence of the insurance company) in order to renew our home insurance policy at full coverage. With only a few days to the renewal date, Dave responded promptly with the inspection and final report that was accepted by the insurance. I recommend Dave’s services.

Andrew from Toronto
Andrew from Toronto

Amazing service - wish there were more guys like Dave!

We were experiencing some staining and paint peeling in a 2nd floor bedroom ceiling. We really couldn't figure out why it was happening, and we certainly are not experts in home construction and systems. We decided that it might be smart to call an independent consultant, rather than a bunch of roofers, to get an assessment. We figured roofers would automatically tell us that we needed a new roof, regardless of what they saw.

Dave came within a day of our calling and looked at the bedroom damage, the roof, and inside the attic. He was able to quickly assess the reasons for the damage, based on his decades of roofing experience. He then created a specifications document that we were able to use as a requirements list and provided it to a few roofers to quote on. Dave wouldn't recommend any roofers, as he tries to maintain independence and not be a conflict of interest situation. He would only suggest the criteria we should look for - namely a manufacturer certified roofer.

It was interesting that a couple of roofers we asked to quote would not participate in the "bidding" process. I think they were concerned about the whole idea of us knowing exactly what we required and having an inspection once the work was completed (by Dave) as a requirement to get full payment. Dave then reviewed all of our quotes and answered any questions we had about the differences in the quotes.

Once the roof work was completed, Dave came back for an inspection and all-clear. All in all, I felt so much more confident that I was getting a fair evaluation of the source of the problem, appropriate solutions on how to fix the issues, and confidence that the final work was done according to the quote. This was the best money I could have spent for such an important part of the house.

In the end, we did need a new roof, but we got a bunch of other critical roof-related issues addressed (ventilation, eaves, etc.) as well that likely would not have been suggested without Dave.

Thanks Dave!

Andrea in Toronto
Andrea in Toronto

Roof Inspection

We just moved into our 100 year old home and had concerns about the condition of the roof. We didn't want to ask a roofer to inspect because we were certain they'd tell us to re-shingle regardless of the condition of the roof. Dave provided an impartial review of our roof, inspected the attic and even repaired some deficiencies in the roof. Dave also provided a detailed report with pictures and an analysis of when we should consider re-doing our roof. Dave was professional, timely and great to work with. We would definitely recommend Dave!

Bruno from Oakville
Bruno from Oakville

New roof inspection

Our roofer did a poor job re-shingling our roof so we contacted Dave for an inspection. We highly recommend having a roof inspection immediately after a roofing job as most homeowners have no idea what a proper roofing job entails with some roofers cutting corners to save time. Some roof inspectors won't even go on the roof.

Dave conducted initial and follow-up inspections by going up on our roof and he provided detailed reports complete with photos. There were a few delays and bumps along the way; in the end Dave came through for us and got the job done. It was thanks to Dave's experience and his reports that we were able to have our roofer address all outstanding issues. Thanks again Dave!

Thibs in Mississauga
Thibs in Mississauga

Great service

Got our roof redone and a week later problems started happening. We lost trust with the workmanship of the company that did the job and wanted a second opinion. It is hard to go on your roof let alone know what to look for. So, we called Dave for an inspection of our new roof. He inspected carefully and took his time to explain everything to us. His report explained all deficiencies and we used it as evidence for the roofing company which addressed most issues. Dave followed up with the repairs and was always available for extra questions that I had. His expert roofing knowledge brought us great comfort and help in our time of need.

More about Independent Roof Inspection Services

Meet the Independent Roof Inspection Team Servicing the GTA
At Independent Roof Inspection Services, we were salesman, estimators, and roofers. Roofing was what we did. We all climbed up ladders, loaded building materials and made a mess. However, when we were done, the property was always thoroughly cleaned up and the roofs didn’t leak anymore. We had a lot of satisfied customers but after years of being roofers, it was time for us to finally try something new. Because owner Dave Baughn had seen many mistakes and bad contractors throughout his years in roofing, he decided something needed to be done – hence, Independent Roof Inspection Services.

Independent Roof Inspection Services is not a roofing company offering to do inspections on the side. As an independent roof inspector, we offer our inspection services at affordable rates to homeowners, property managers, real estate companies, developers and landlords of residential, commercial and industrial properties across the Greater Toronto Area. Our detailed roof inspection reports describe the existing waterproofing, its age and condition, and all of your available options. While you may need to completely replace your roof, other times you might not need a new roof at all. Sometimes a repair or a partial re-roof may suffice.