Concrete Your Way

Simon in Vaughan
Simon in Vaughan

Epoxy garage floor project

Dear friends:
If you want to renew your garage floor with epoxy finish but don’t want to waste your time and hard-earned money, and you don’t want your floors to be ruined, you need to read my terrible experience with Concrete Your Way Inc. before you place an order with them.
On June 18, 2018, I placed an order, with 25% deposit, to the boss of Concrete Your Way Inc., to renew my garage floor with epoxy.
In the contract, it lists the following:
1. Grinding and Cleaning the entire concrete surface;
2. Holes, Cracks to be filled with patching compound;
3. Application of two coats of high performance epoxy with the vinyl chips distribution including the garage steps.
4. A Warranty clause stated in the contract: Concrete Your way Inc. warrants its work for a period of 36 months from the date of completion.

The work was completed on July 10, 11 and 12 of 2018.
On July 10, 2018: As I needed to go to work, I was not present when the installer came to work on the garage floor. When I came home from work, curious to see the progress of the floors, I went to the garage and saw that the floor was half painted, cracks and holes were not filled and there were many small stone debris stuck in the floor. I called the boss to remind him to fill in the cracks and holes; remove the small stone debris and to paint the unfinished area. Instead of reassuring me of my concerns, he criticized me for raising these concerns to him, and made a sarcastic remark that I “should not go into the kitchen to ask how the chef cooks my meal”.
On July 11, 2018: On the 2nd day, the whole floor was covered with vinyl chips (colour flake) in wet paint; I could not get into the garage to inspect the work, but I assumed the installer had taken care of the concerns that I had raised to his boss.
On July 12, 2018: On the 3rd day, the whole floor was covered with a transparent glossy coating; it was wet and sticky and took 3-4 days to dry, so I could not look at the floors at that time.
Finally, when I was able to look over the floors, I found that:
1. NOT ALL of the cracks were filled; at least 1 crack was visible and unfilled
2. NOT ALL of the holes were filled; lots of holes were visible and unfilled
3. NOT the entire concrete area was cleaned, small stone debris were left on the floor, hidden by the vinyl chips and covered by a glossy coat. The stones can be felt but not be removed as they are stuck firmly on the ground
4. The vinyl chips and the top glossy coat were not applied evenly; some parts are too thick and some parts too thin. The floor is bumpy and not smooth as promised by the company.
5. The top gloss coat in outer part of the floor turned yellowish under exposure to sunlight after few days. The material they use was inferior to say the least.
The installer attempted to hide all of these defects by putting a lot of vinyl chips on the floor before applying the top glossy coat.
I pointed these defects out to the boss when I gave him the final payment. He reassured me that he would resolve the problems. The biggest mistake I made there was trusting that he would stay true to his word.
After he received the final payment, it became impossible to get in contact with him. No matter how many times I called or left messages, he never called back. I can only assume that he ignored my calls when he saw my number because he immediately picked up the phone when I called using a different phone number. He was probably ignoring my number, but when he saw an unknown number, he thought it was a potential new customer and was eager to pick up. I think this truly reflects his character and shows that he is an unprofessional, irresponsible person with little integrity.
The boss' explanation for the bad workmanship continues to baffle me. He blamed the condition of the floor as being very bad, which of course, meant that no matter what he did he would not be able to change it or make it any better. This goes against the main reason why we would ask him to repair our floors in the first place, which was to have a professional repair it and make it better. This was also contrary to what he told us at our first meeting. When he first examined the floor surface, he told me that he would be able to make it look better and complete it to my satisfaction. He was fully aware of the floor’s condition and he even quoted me a higher price for the job, (he admitted that a premium was already included in the quote). He eager for my business, assured me repeatedly that with his 15 years of experience in this field, he can make a bad floor good, and that he would “do a good job” for me.
After the job was done, money was received, He and his company never returned to complete the repairs. Instead of doing the repair work, The boss suggested to pay 10% back as compensation; I disagreed and asked for 20%. After negotiating, I reluctantly reduced to 15% compensation.
Not only did he delay sending out the check by over 2 weeks, the amount that he sent was just 10%, and not the agreed upon 15%.
He breached his promise and had wasted a lot of my time chasing after him, which infuriated me, so I insisted to get back the 20% compensation as I originally proposed; or otherwise I will file a complaint against his company. He did not make any positive reply. I am now in proceeding to complain to The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, and or afterward to Small Claim Court for a higher amount of compensation as I need to hire another professional to redo the whole work.

More about Concrete Your Way

We take pride in offering exceptional quality concrete flooring work to all of our clients - commercial & residential! Our services include polished concrete, epoxy flooring, staining, engraving, resurfacing, and repair. We maintain an excellent reputation in the industry by consistently providing outstanding value and true professionalism.
Looking for Decorative Concrete pros in Thornhill?