Horizon Heating Ltd.

28 - 666 Goddard Avenue NE CALGARY AB T2K 5X3
HomeStars  >  Heating & Air Conditioning in Calgary  >  Horizon Heating Ltd.

Reviews for Horizon Heating Ltd.

TR in Calgary
TR in Calgary
1 review , ON

Humidifier and Nest Thermostat Install

I am very disappointed by their poor quality of work, unfair prices and terrible customer service.

I called Horizon Heating for installing a new Humidifier (Supply and install by Horizon) and Brand New Nest Thermostat (Install only). They quoted me installed cost of $595 for Humidifier and $90/hr to install the Nest. I was told that Nest does not take more than an hour to install especially because my home is new and it does have all the wires required. The technician that came was fairly inexperienced to the point that he had to call few people to figure out how connections should be made from Humidifier to the furnace. He also did not have right tools to complete the job, so he had to call their guys and waited to get him sheet metal etc. He also struggled to find out how to install nest. He even didn't know that Nest install with Humidifier requires a PRO install and manual does not come with Nest and again he had to make calls to figure that out. At the end he spent 3 hours in install and majority of his time was spent on Humidifier install for which labor was included in the quoted price. At the end he asked an additional $300 for labor (Close to $1000 against quoted price of $685). I called office and asked why I am being charged additional $300 for just Nest Thermostat install because Humidifier install was already included in the quoted price? Technician spent most of his time on Humidifier for which labor was included in the quoted price and I should not pay anything more than an hour of labor to install Nest Thermostat. They agreed and asked technician to change the invoice amount to earlier agreed amount which I paid in full. Technician also left without doing taping of all the openings and holes he made on duct and I had to call office to get this done.

Later I called the owner of Horizon Heating (Matthew) with my concerns on whether everything has been done correctly since guy did not seem to know the job. He agreed that technician was fairly junior and inexperienced and an experienced will look into this and Service Manager will call me back which never happened. Meanwhile even though Nest was set at Maximum Humidity level, after 3 weeks, Humidity still does not go beyond 36%. After 4-5 calls from my end also, Service Manager did not call me back. Finally, I got hold of someone at Horizon who agreed to send a technician to check the work of junior guy as well as to verify why humidifier is not working as intended. But when person showed up he first asked me to pay the outstanding money before he can look at the things. I called again the office and mentioned that bill was paid in full and there is no outstanding amount. Then they changed their stand and told that they agree that there is no outstanding balance but now I need to pay per hour rate to technician to check work done by the previous junior guy as well as to check why humidifier is not working as intended. This was never told to me. When I talked to them first time with my concerns, they told me that I do not need to worry as I have 30-day warranty on install and if anything goes wrong, they will come and fix it. But now they want additional money to check these things.

So at the end of day, they want unfair labor charges plus expect customers to pay for time their junior guys need to train themselves, time they spend on learning and researching the things and when you face any issues, again want additional charges to look at the things that was probably not properly in the first place. I would be honest that owner (Matt) seems a nice and knowledgeable person, but I had really bad experience with their staff.

Another bad experience with Horizon was couple of years ago when previous Honeywell Humidifier installed by them started leaking. Guy came, turned tap from fully open to crack open and charged $150 for his 1 minute of service. Now let’s compare this incident with my experience with other businesses. I had issue with hot water tank not turning on in winter and when I called the other business, they told me that if they come to my home, there is a charge, but they suggested troubleshooting over phone and solved issue free of cost in few minutes and saved me money. Same thing happened again with other business when I saw slight leakage on hot water tank, instead of booking service call, they asked me to look at 3 things and solved issue over phone. I am glad I did not go to Horizon for this issues. I WOULD NOT DEAL WITH THIS BUSINESS IN FUTURE.

Hello Tushar Rajyaguru. Thank you again for your comments. We appreciate feedback in all forms from our customers.
As discussed on the phone and in other electronic formats, our offer to come to your house to check the work done by our technician still stands. I know that you have an opinion about his level of ability but we do employ apprentices as well as journeyman trades people - in fact it is our responsibility to do so. It would be normal for an apprentice to call a senior technician for assistance. When you hired us you not only got the technician that came to your home but you received the expertise of several other employees as well.
In your review there are some inaccurate statements and claims and while I'm not going to use this medium to point out all of them I am going to discuss two major inaccuracies. The first inaccuracy is that we did not say say that the thermostat install would only take one hour. The second inaccuracy is that you are claiming that your humidifier is not working while in fact the levels you are claiming are within the range for proper humidity according to the Canadian Lung Association and are also consistent with the type of equipment we installed. If you are looking for different results, we could have that discussion to figure out why and also to discuss the appropriate equipment that can do that for you.
Your opinion that the system is not working may be an opinion based on your experience with our technician. We have offered to come back to check our technicians work and if your humidifier is not working properly we will honour our warranty and our work. If however we visit your home and there is nothing wrong with the operation of our product, or if the problem is with the thermostat you supplied (product warranty by you), or if it is user error - it is only fair that we would charge for this service. This has been explained to you several times - I apologize if there has been some miscommunication but we have tried to explain this in detail over several conversations. Please let me know if you have any questions!
Regards,

Urban Bean in Calgary
Urban Bean in Calgary

Carrier Infinity Air Conditioner

From the first email I sent to receive a quote on a carrier air conditioner to the final installation I received outstanding professional service.

The quote I received was detailed with the information I needed to make a decision on what system best fit our needs and budget.

When it came to the install date the installer was on time, respectful of our home, took away all packaging, garbage and explained the operation of the system.

The next day I received a email with operational tips and our unit was registered with the manufacturer so we could take advantage of the extended warranty without any hassle on our part.

I highly recommend Horizon Heating! Matthew and his team are excellent!

Brian in Calgary
Brian in Calgary

Furnace, Air Conditioner, Tank-less Hot Water, Thermostat

We cannot believe these days that there are contractors that go so far beyond expectations. Horizon arranged for way more than just installation of equipment, but also the upgrading of plumbing to bring our drainage up to today's codes. The removal of old appliances, and the installation of all new equipment went flawlessly (from our point of view) although the technicians had to overcome several challenges. We are in a 40 year old home and today's equipment is certainly not "plug and play". The staff were professional, knowledgeable, courteous and extremely helpful. The result is a complete, up to date heating and cooling system at an extremely affordable cost and no stress to us. We thank all the Horizon staff that contributed to our comfort for the fabulous experience.

Hi Brian,
Thank you very much for the glowing review. It was our pleasure working with you and we look forward to serving you and your equipment for years to come. I will post your comments on our review board for everyone to see - I am proud of my team and the work they do. As you mentioned, jobs like these are not always that straightforward and there are often challenges that present themselves along the way. My team's experience with dealing with the unexpected, large and small, along with their ability to integrate complex systems is what I believe sets us apart from the other contractors out there.
Cheers,
Matthew

YYCSteve in NW Calgary
YYCSteve in NW Calgary

Furnace Repair and service

Great service from the person I first spoke with who answered the phone;
Quick response in getting someone out to diagnose my the broken furnace;
Awesome service to fix the problem (which included warranty work on a Carrier Furnace they had not installed) and then some overdue service work.
Service tech arrived when he said he would and the cost was as originally described once the work was finished. Furnace works great now.

Hi Steve,
We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write this great review and for your very kind words. We are happy to hear that the entire team worked together to provide you with an excellent experience. We look forward to continue working with you and let us know if you require anythings else.
Cheers!

Lauren Stevens in Calgary
Lauren Stevens in Calgary

Furnace repair

Woke up and my furnace had broken at -21. I called horizon and they sent someone out right away. The repairman was quick respectful and knowledgeable and he pRice was right. I highly recommend them!

Hi Lauren.
Thanks for choosing Horizon Heating for your furnace requirements and thank you for the feedback.
Please let us know if you require anything else!
Cheers,

D.R. Brouwer from Calgary
D.R. Brouwer from Calgary

Air conditioner

About two years Horizon Heating delivered the heating system for our new house,and through that we already came to experience them as a great company to work with.
This year I needed an air conditioner for the same house. I called various vendors for a quote. I got a very fast response from Horizon Heating, showing up in a day at the house for the assessment. I received the quote (that was competitive) within a day after that, and the entire unit was up and running not even a week later! In hindsight I wished I had installed the airco way earlier.

Thanks for the feedback. I will let the team know you're happy with the whole experience.
Enjoy your air conditioning this summer!

Ian Wacker in Calgary
Ian Wacker in Calgary

Humidifier Install

My existing steam humidifier was a Honeywell Truesteam, installed on the furnace and it had failed. Horizon tried to get it to work, but could not. They did inform me there is still a warrantee (which I would not have thought of, as we bought the house with the humidifier in it - good honesty on their part). I wanted a more reliable steam humidifier, and they recommended the General Air. Matthew was very patient with me spending time to give me details and numerous installs on this units with little issues. They installed it quickly, and when I had a problem with it, they came back and found a furnace relay to be the issue and replaced it without charge. Very courteous, honest, and prompt service. Would highly recommend them for any furnace or humidifier work

Arthur Wriedt from Calgary
Arthur Wriedt from Calgary

Home Renovation

We did a complete knock down and rebuild on our home.
Our General Contractor partnered with Horizon for all our mechanical installation including furnace and ductwork.
We were very happy with Horizon's work, and we continue to use them for routine maintenance issues.
I highly recommend Horizon for your home heating needs.

Hi Arthur,
Thanks for the support.
Cheers!

Connie Schwieder from Calgary
Connie Schwieder from Calgary

Furnace Service

WOW! We needed our new furnace serviced after a renovation. We got an appointment quickly and Mike was absolutely wonderful. He was very knowledgeable and knew exactly what needed to be done. He even corrected a couple of things the installer didn't do and was finished in record time. He was very patient and clearly explained everything. We will definitely use this outstanding company again and will highly recommend them to all.

Hi Connie,
Thank you for the business! I will be sure to tell Mike how happy you are with his performance and we are happy to have you as a customer.
Thanks for the great review and talk soon!

Pat
Pat

moved air duct for basement reno

Amazing company. Came on very short notice and where done in no time. Gary the gentlemen that showed up pointed out other issues that I had and corrected them on the spot and the quote did not vary from origanal estimate. Plus he pointed out work that my husband can do with little effort and even arranged for the matial to be picked up at the shop. I will be going to Horizon from now on. Thanks Mathew and the crew.

More about Horizon Heating Ltd.

Horizon Heating has been proudly serving Calgary & area since 1988. We have our own in-house design team, a full sheet metal shop and a dedicated service department. We specialize in Carrier Infinity zone systems, steam humidification, smart thermostats and residential service and maintenance. We are the company that other ...