The City Painters

E Davie in Old Toronto
E Davie in Old Toronto
2 reviews Hamilton, ON

Professional Team Who Did Excellent Work On Son's Condo

After hiring a painter who made a disaster of painting the popcorn ceiling in son's condo, we soon realized we needed a professional to 'fix' the problems created.

Enter John Fry, Operations Manager at The City Painters and his amazing plasterer Nick and painters Gina and Dave.

From the initial phone call until the job was done, John monitored progress of the job throughout. He updated us regularly about the days and time his people would arrive and the work that would be done.

What an absolute delight to deal with a company who say what they will do and follow through accordingly. John's frequent communications left us feeling the job was in good hands and we would be more than satisfied with the end result. Which we were. We extended the job from not only the ceiling but also the walls and closets.

Our son was on a tight budget and John worked with us to keep costs under control by suggesting areas we could tackle ourselves.

A job that started out with another painter from another company who did a terrible job, has turned out to be an amazing transformation by The City Painters.

I would highly recommend The City Painters. They do excellent work at a fair price.

Kathleen Mangan from Toronto
Kathleen Mangan from Toronto

Main floor flat in old house

Excellant paint job. Great communications. Professional in all aspects. Painting team was meticulous and clean up fantastic. There was a discrepancy between the estimate work included and the contract statement of work. This is where I was most impressed!. Everything was handled with no fuss!. And very much to my satisfaction.

Condo painting, a job sort of done.

Contacted City Painters because of their Homestars rating and selected them based on cost and availability - would not select them again. They quoted based on pictures we sent them and before confirming colour selections or clarifying what was included/excluded from the scope of work. We had asked in our email for a quote that included the painting of all walls and ceilings.

When they arrived they said columns in the walls as well as a partial wall below our windows were considered trim and not walls. They proceeded to paint the columns without checking with us regarding any additional cost and then said there would be an additional cost for the work completed.

We had dark walls which we wanted to be painted white but they only quoted for two coats of paint. I would have expected experienced painters to know that white paint would not cover dark colours well and quote based on additional coats that might be required. Instead, they applied additional coats of paint without indicating any additional charges and then said there would be an additional charge after the fact.

Overall quality wasn't great. Poor cutting in, brush streaks, missed parts of the ceiling all left us with additional work to do once they left. Several walls needed additional coats of paint (which they were happy to charge for) that we did ourselves as we were not going to pay them more for misquoting the job.

Despite being told we had 12 ft ceilings they showed up without a ladder to reach the ceilings. Their paint selection isn't great, using a contractor grade paint that is meant for new walls.

Everything you should expect from a painter

The City Painters were everything you should expect from a painter; competitively priced, courteous, on time, efficient, on budget, and quality work. John kept all of his commitments, and the team, two of whom are professional artists in their "spare" time, were all a pleasure to work with and special compliments to Paul who has an exceptional talent at "cutting" in the edges and corners. Highest compliment I can offer is that I would both use them again, and refer them to friends given the opportunity. Again, compliments and thanks to the team for a great job!

Cindy and Wanda in Scarborogh
Cindy and Wanda in Scarborogh

6 rooms painted in one day.....amazing job!

We had 6 rooms painted in one day when we were expecting to take 2 to 3. The team (Dave, Tim, Gina, Liam, Roberto) were great; very friendly and professional. They did a couple of little extras that did not cost us anything, yet was a great help.

John the team leader is wonderful. His gentle manner and helpful nature made him a joy to work with.

We recommend The City Painters to anyone looking to paint their home.

Urgent painting

I wanted to have my place painted before I moved in on a Saturday. Early that week, my painter fell through. I called Matthew and he made arrangements to have his team come in on the Friday. Matthew was incredibly knowledgable on the phone, recommending great colours that would brighten our unit. His team also did an amazing job, going above and beyond to get the job done before my Saturday move, all at very reasonable prices. I would absolutely recommend The City Painters for their professionalism and for the fantastic work that they did on my condo!!!

Full house paint - 2700 sq feet

Great job. Matthew is very professional, and the work his crew did was excellent. He methodically works out with you what you are and are not paying for. Inside closets? Those are pricier and not always worth it. Same with bathrooms. If you're on a budget, maybe hold off on those.

Overall, wasn't the cheapest option, but really solid, clean, detailed work. Would definitely go back.

Alan from Toronto
Alan from Toronto

Painting

I used Matthew and his team for a full-condo painting last month. Right from the get go, I had a wonderful experience with them. Matthew came by in a timely manner and provided a reasonable quote to have my two storey condo fully painted. Not only that but he had some beautiful color choice suggestions that helped bring my vision together. The day of, Matthew's team showed up and got straight to work. They worked a long day to ensure my condo was finished within one day.
If I need to do another paint job, I will most definitely be going back to The City Painters. I would very highly recommend using them to friends and family.

Mohammad
Mohammad

Condo paint

I called TheCityPainters for a quote and Matthew came back with a reasonable price range the first time around. I found this team very easy to work with and super professional. I would definitely recommend them to my friends.

Looking for Paint & Wallpaper Contractors pros in Scarborough?