Matt The Reno Guy & Matt The Plumbing Guy

Reviews for Matt The Reno Guy & Matt The Plumbing Guy

bdmvchiu in Toronto
bdmvchiu in Toronto

Leak in garage

Had a pipe that burst in the garage. Matt located the problem and re-ran the line so that the issue will not happen again next winter.

Matt was diligent in keeping me apprised of the progress. The end product looked great and everything cleaned up.

Thanks Matt.

hi barb thank you for the review it is our goal to give our customers the best possible job to avoid future issues. look forward to future work

William in Toronto M5A4R1
William in Toronto M5A4R1

Great Job

Matt arrived, did the work as promised, cleaned up. Very congenial and efficient. I took out tub and put in shower, Matt installed trim, shower head, valves, and handheld with slide bar.

Hi william it was a pleasure doing work for you and anything else in ghe future let me know

Stevo
Stevo

Utility sink install in basement

Matt installed a new utility sink in our basement that included tying into an existing stack for drainage, installing a vent to help with water flow, and also ran water lines to the sink. He did a great job, explained everything to me and it looks very clean.

HI Steve, Thanks for the wonderful review i am happy that you were able to have a utility sink in the basement. Have a great new year and look forward to business in the future

Audrey in Toronto
Audrey in Toronto

Water leak from upstairs bathroom through vent on the main floor

We had water leaking from the upstairs bathroom through a vent on the main floor. This was caused by a leak in the shower. We changed the cracked plastic piece that connected the pipe from the wall to the showerhead and then put waterproof tape to prevent further leaks.

I called a local rated plumbing company and was quoted $50 for the service call, plus $100 each hour. They said they would have to take down the tiles and check behind the wall. To have this fixed and retiled, could cost upto $6,000++

With Christmas approaching and family arriving, this is an expense we had not planned for.

In panic, I found Matt's company profile and review on Homestars and gave him a call. He said the leak could have been caused by the tape as the water trapped in the pipe had to go somewhere, hence to use the shower again and see if the leak reoccurred.

Well it did not and it did not cost me a cent! He could have easily exploited us, as this is a stressful situation to deal with! Thank God for honest knowledgeable people! I will definitely call Matt again if I need plumbing work done.

Thank you so much for your kind review, i'm glad i could help with a simple phone call and that you didn't have to spend hundreds or thousands on someone coming out to do unnecessary work. Look forward to future work thanks

Private User reviews Whitby, ON

Full bathroom renovation

We chose Matt based on his excellent (96%) rating here on Homestars. He had also been awarded a Star of the Year for 2018. It is, however, with regret that we are unable to leave as good a rating as others have, and we probably won’t be using Homestars as a reference point in the future. Perhaps this feedback will help Matt find areas to improve his business, or help someone else when choosing a contractor. Most of these items have already been raised with Matt, and shouldn’t come as a surprise to him.

We agreed to do a complete bathroom renovation for in October of this year. Many of the issues I am going to mention, I had a great deal of understanding for at the time, but by the time the reno was completed, we had a leaking shower (fixed by a different plumber), and a toilet that was not functioning properly (fixed by a friend after Matt couldn’t solve the issue). I ran out of patience for some of the “smaller” issues.

Larger issues included:

-The Tiler that Matt used was a nice guy, however he cut all of the tiles in the bathroom, instead of outside. The dust was atrocious, and the act of cutting the tiles damaged the brand new floor that Matt had installed prior to the tiling. The new floor needed to be pulled out, and was replaced at Matt’s expense.
-The Tiler also didn’t seem to know how to install some of the tiles. Matt was not helpful and I had to go to the tile store to ask questions. The folks at the tile store provided advice on how to do the job, which in turn Matt told me to pass the info on to the Tiler. I also had to go out and purchase parts for the Tiler, which Matt reimbursed. If I knew I was going to have to run around for Matt’s crew, I would have managed the project myself.
-We purchased all new fixtures for the bathroom, however we did not have a valve body for the shower (Not being a plumber, I didn’t know I needed to provide one). Matt suggested we use the old one as “It should be fine”. This lead to problems with the shower leaking not even 1 week after the crew left my house. Matt said it was due to shower head. When we removed the shower head, the water was still leaking and Matt came to fix this by replacing the cartridge with a new one. When the problems persisted, Matt said the work was not covered under his warranty as he did not install a new valve body. As it was a weekend, we called a different plumber come in to fix it. The new plumber removed the cartridge, which was not new at all (The discolouration on the cartridge, which had been in place for 5 days, was much more than could/should/have happened in such a time.) Also, there was a glob of silicone on the valve body. The new plumber said that the silicone was used to temporarily block the leak, but was not a long-term fix. We had to pay the new plumber for a weekend call out in order to replace the valve body. We also had to cut through freshly painted drywall in order to complete this. Again, with Matt being the expert plumber, he should have replaced the valve body instead of assuming it should be fine. It wasn’t until after the weekend when Matt said he’d come fix the problem properly, by which time it was done.

Smaller issues included:
-Matt missed a total of 4 days for the job due to personal illness, malfunctioning truck, and his child was unwell. (Matt did offer a reduction in price due to the inconvenience)
-The job went from an estimated 7 days to 20.
-Drop cloths were not used properly by the Tiler who walked over my white carpets repeatedly in his shoes spreading grouting all over the place.
-Matt was not on site much when the Tiler was here, so there was little to no oversite on his work or habits. Much of the Tiler problems could have been prevented if Matt were on site more.
-The Tiler measured his tiles using a red Sharpie on the front of the tiles. In many places he didn’t cut to the red marks exactly, and we have been left with a shower filled with little red marks on “Super White” tiles, including those that were sealed under the clear caulking applied by Matt.
-We had to insist that the vanity, mirror, and vanity lights be lined up/centred with each other. It did not occur to Matt that this should be done from an aesthetic view.

Positive Points:
-Rafael was super clean and tidy. When he saw the state of the damaged floors, and dust generated from the tiler he was not happy. It would have been great to have Rafael on site sooner.
-The Electrician that Matt used (Anthony) was very helpful and thoughtful. Looking back, he asked the most questions to get an understanding of what we needed.
-Matt and his construction/plumbing crew were considerate when on site, and took their shoes off and ensured that the drop cloths were intact.

Upon asking for a warranty, Matt provided a document stating the warranty is for 1 year, but the original handwritten estimate/contract stated a 2 year warranty. Matt has not responded to why there is a difference here. Regardless, unless something major happens, we would not be seeking for him to return to fix anything.

I sincerely hope Matt takes in our feedback, considers how much he had pay out of his own pocket and makes improvements to his business.

While the bathroom is finally in a state that we are happy with, I would not at all recommend this company be used by anyone I know, nor would I use Homestars to select another contractor, which is a shame, because it has not steered me wrong in the past 4 years that I have used it.

I cannot imagine that I am the first and only person that has had this type of experience. I have to assume that people who are disgruntled, do not leave reviews on Homestars.

Hello Anise and Vanessa, unfortunately jobs don't always go according to plan and we strive to do our best in peoples homes. As for the tile guy i apologize for his behavior which was not acceptable in any sort of way. As for being ill and having issues with my vehicle things do happen but to some people there things always come first before anyone else's. As for questioning my plumbing knowledge THE VALVE THAT WAS CURRENTLY THERE WAS IN WORKING ORDER AND I CHANGED THE MOEN CARTRIDGE. VALVE NEVER LEAKED THROUGHOUT JOB. THEN GOING BACK TO REPLACE THE CARTRIDGE AGAIN I TESTED IT AND IT DIDN'T LEAK. SPENDING TIME ON THE PHONE WITH KOHLER ABOUT A TOILET ALSO TRYING TO HELP THE BEST I COUD. Having to wait for fixtures to be onsite was also an issue we came across but understanding delays do happen. I can also write a long list of things but its best to keep this short and as professional as i can. Delays were an issue, tiler was unprofessional and as a contractor i did my best to rectify issues even a toilet that was defective and customer purchased. DURING A RENOVATION ITS EXPECTED TO HAVE SOME DUST THROUGHOUT THE HOME AND WE DO OUR BEST TO CONTAIN IT. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DO A RENO WITHOUT SOME DUST. I Wish them all the best in the future and i knew this wasn't going to be an easy one but your realize you can't change people or make them happy, you can only try your best and some people are never satisfied.

Kitchen Faucet Replacement

We needed a new kitchen faucet installed. Matt was quick to come, did a thorough job, and left the place super clean. (He also discovered a problem with some of the work a previous plumber had done and fixed it.) None of this surprised us, by the way. Matt has done numerous jobs for us over the past few years, large and small, and everything is always top quality. It's also a pleasure doing business with Matt, as he is very friendly.

BJ in Toronto
BJ in Toronto

bathroom install and hook up

Matt was professional courteous and went the extra mile! My toilet was cracked and I hadn't noticed it. Matt took the toilet back to the store for me and got the replacement! He is knowledgeable and friendly a great combination.

it was a pleasure to get the toilet issue address and everything else hooked up in your space. look forward to future business

Karen
Karen

Bath tub faucet and shower system

Matt is amazing! He’s very approachable and responsive. He’s very helpful. I had my clawfoot tub faucet shower replaced and shut off valves for the tub replaced by him. He’s very professional. He cleans up after his work and is tidy. I highly recommend Matt for his good work. We have asked Matt to do a few jobs already.

thanks Karen appreciate the review it was a pleasure doing work for such nice people like yourselves

Downtown Chinatown
Downtown Chinatown

A Dynamic Duo

Matt and Raphael are very professional. Both were always on time and responded to questions quickly. Matt is very affordable compared to the other quotes we received. I was very impressed with Matt and Raphael. We will be calling Matt first for any future jobs at our house.

Matt has completed some jobs at our house and I am very pleased with his work. Matt replaced our stack and removed the old one. Work in the basement replaced our ancient existing underground plumbing. Matt upgraded our house to the 21st century.

Raphael is amazing. He prepared all the work for Matt removing concrete and exposing the stack. He carefully laid drop clothes keeping the house clean. It was a summer day and he insisted on not using a fan to minimize the dust when he applied the drywall mud. He cleaned up the work when it was completed, he was very respectful of our house.

Thank you guys!!! Great work!

It was a pleasure helping out clients who were so nice and accommodating from the beginning. Hope for your future business

Zach Drewitt in Verona
Zach Drewitt in Verona

Toilet drain leak

Matt did an outstanding job fixing the toilet drain leak and installing a new toilet. The leak was on the main floor ceiling. My old toilet was causing problems so I decided to get a new toilet so I can avoid problems in the long run. Matts price was very reasonable. He was very reliable and his work was neat. I strongly highly recommend him to anyone.

Thanks zack i am glad i could resolve your issue with the toilet drains

More about Matt The Reno Guy & Matt The Plumbing Guy

At Matt the Reno Guy & Matt The Plumbing Guy we are committed to excellent service and quality workmanship. Whether your looking for a small repair or a larger scale bathroom renovation we will be there to help.

From designing to finished products, our expert staff will make your renovation ideas come to life.

We use top quality trades and materials to ensure the repair or project is done right.

Email or Call us for more Details.

Now offering full plumbing services including 24/7 emergency service.

Services include: Plumbing repairs and new installations, drain services, waterproofing and More!!