A Better Landscaper

Reviews for A Better Landscaper

Peter  from Calgary
Peter from Calgary

Backyard Landscaping

We wholeheartedly endorse Don Eckardt and his crew. From the initial quote and revisions to completion, the company did an entire backyard reno - 2 wood decks, 2 stone patios, walkway and retaining walls as quoted. Don's creativity and attention to detail helped us realize our dream back yard. Work was started on time and completed in the 10 days quoted. The crew was a pleasure to have around. Clean-up was done every night and at the end of the project a final inspection and clean-up sealed the deal.

Terri from Calgary
Terri from Calgary

School Naturalization Green Space

Don knows his stuff and is creative. However, with respect to following through on deliverables promised and communication, he is definitely lacking. His lack of response to our queries and concerns regarding the completion of a promised cedar bridge for our project has left us extremely disappointed and puzzled. This is unfortunate since we began the project on a positive note.

Andrew Hallikas from Calgary
Andrew Hallikas from Calgary

Two tier cedar deck with sunken hot tub

We hired The Better Landscaper being new to Calgary and not having previous experience with any other contractors in the city. We had purchased a hot tub and wanted a cedar patio built outside of our walk out basement. Don quickly replied to my email and was prompt to provide an estimate. He was precise on his arrival time to start the project and came in on budget. Cost and schedule aside, the craftsmanship was brilliant. We were so satisfied we hired The Better Landscaper the following summer to build a second tear to the cedar patio of the main level of the house. Again he was very prompt once the work began and came in within the budget. We now have a two tier cedar deck with a sunken hot tub that we enjoy regularly and is the talk of our company when we entertain.

Miller from Calgary
Miller from Calgary

Deck, Awning, Fence,sprinklers

Don and his team did a very good job on all of the projects. His estimates were accurate and his description of the work he would perform was accurate. Some minor problems were addressed the following spring as soon as we called.

Don's team was respectful to us and behaved in a professional manner at all times while on our property.

I would recommend Don and his team anytime.

Gerry Cooke from Calgary
Gerry Cooke from Calgary

Installation of fence

Although the install of my fence failed to start at the scheduled time, because of shortage of manpower, and I was not advised of this matter, until the project started. I found the work performed by A Better Landscaper was of a very high quality, and Don Eckhardt's attention to detail. I would strongly recommend this company to anyone thinking of having a fence or deck installed, and would not hesitate to use them again. The work performed was excellent!

Lindsey Jackson from Calgary
Lindsey Jackson from Calgary

Deck and Landscaping

My husband and I have had problems with our deck that was built by our home-builder. We knew there was something really wrong with the deck when it began lifting off of its supporting beams the second year we owned our new home. Every winter since then, the deck would heave and come back down in the spring. But it caused cracking in the eating nook inside our home and we couldn't even open the door to the deck. We had a couple of quotes for the deck, but only Don from A Better Landscaper realized that the problem went far beyond just building a new deck. He knew the entire yard was part of the problem and knew how to go about fixing it. The deck is now finished and we are very excited to have him and his crew back this spring to complete the patio and flower beds in our fabulous new yard! His attention to detail has gone far beyond our expectations, and the quality or his work is impeccable. We found that the price was very reasonable for the amount of work being done as well. And lastly, as Don said "Good things are worth waiting for." He was right, because it did take several months to complete the deck, but it is well worth the wait. Thank you Don!

fraser monaghan from Calgary
fraser monaghan from Calgary

Fence

I hired A Better Landscaper for the fact that when they came to measure my fence project they discussed what the entire job would cost in a very detailed and professional manner. This spoke volumes about the quality of the company. Don is EXCELLENT to work with. He listens to your ideas and collaborates with practical answers to what's feasible on your project. A REAL CRAFTSMAN!
Hire A Better Landscaper and in a heartbeat—you'll lower the blood pressure on your next project!

sincerely,
Fraser Monaghan

M. S.
M. S.

Privacy walls

I would highly recommend A Better Landscaper for any landscaping jobs. They are prompt, punctual, professional and the quality of the work is superior. The two jobs that I had done were completed in the time frame that Don promised and the cost was reasonable. Don added some very nice touches to the privacy wall in the garden! You can also tell that the work was done by professionals! I will continue to use A Better Landscaper for my future landscaping projects that I need done.

Bill Hutchinson from Calgary
Bill Hutchinson from Calgary

Deck Replacement

Our aging deck needed to be replaced, Don was the only contractor to really show an interest in redesigning the replacment deck.His workmanship is to a very high standard. The site was cleaned up every night.His design ideas are the talk of the neighbourhood. We are going to have him replace our fence next.Would highly recommend him... Bill and Bev Hutchinson

totti from Calgary
totti from Calgary
1 review PRIDDIS, AB

backyard landscaping

First He acted like a nice guy, verbally committed to do many good things. After signed contract, He didn't make any contact back to us for 3 months, then we called and emailed many times. He replied sometimes and promised to come but never did. Finally he came after 4 months. His quality of work was no better than others. But the bad things are he never kept his words, he most of time didn't remember things he said and was told, he didn't do things listed in the contract, he took advantage of us who, off course, know less about his jobs. After all , this company is not a better landscaper like it's named.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Like I said, since I have so very few complaints, it's easy to keep track of them. This claim is absolutely false and without merit and I categorically deny all accusations. You, too, seemed like a nice person at first, then you did a 180 degree turnaround at the end of the job over so something small and insignificant that it had nothing to do with the job. Yes, you waited 3 months for the job to start, not four as you claim. You signed the contract on May the 3rd, the job started on August 8th, according to my records. I told you and your neighbours from the beginning that it would be about a 3 month wait. If you had a problem with that, you did not have to sign the contract. If you're upset that I didn't let you jump the queue, that wouldn't be fair to my other customers who were in line before you. I answered all of your e-mails, which I still have, so please explain how did I "not make any contact" as you claim. During the job, you made all sorts of changes and additions on the fly and I accommodated you on absolutely everything. Again, I kept all e-mails. In most of your e-mails you made changes, gushed about how pleased you were with the work and how great everything was going. Here are a few direct quotes from your emails:

August 11, 2012 Today we come home and seeing that the fence is very nice, thanks for your good and hard work, we also see the base of our little 'shed' is already built too
August 14, 2012 Thank you for all your great work. We really appreciate it as a family!!
August 16, 2012 Once again thanks for your great and prompt work at our yard work
August 21, 2012 Once again thanks for your great work for our landscaping, we do enjoy what you and your workers have done at our place. The three garden areas are very beautiful, thanks!

Then, after job completion on August 21st, you paid in full and we talked about buying some tulip bulbs for the garden. Even though I was super-busy and late getting to the next job, I wanted to be nice and said I would do it when I had time. The tulip bulbs were delivered to your front door in September. Then you asked in an e-mail about needing a 2 x 4 for under the fence. I asked for clarification but none was provided. There was no part of the fence that would require a 2 x 4 under it and and an added piece of wood would not have been aesthetically pleasing. But it was not a piece missing from the fence as you claim! I had just given you the bulbs and hadn't even had a chance to buy the wood yet when you gave me an undeserved bad review. Of course I didn't buy the wood after that! In October I received one more e-mail from you stating "You promised to do this at the end of September but we didn't get any response from you and your no response frustrated all my family members." Are you kidding? The fact is, the job went smoothly, the tulip bulbs and 2 x 4 were not part of the contract but I delivered the bulbs to your front door anyway, and the 2 x 4 is not considered part of the fence. Basically, you slandered me and my company because I didn't do your personal bidding or didn't do it fast enough. You used a 1 star rating to punish me for not getting the 2 x 4. Please explain how you can praise me in so many e-mails and then end up giving me a 1 star over a 2 x 4 that wasn't even part of the contract. The answer; revenge for a perceived slight.

Remember, I also worked on both of your neighbours' yards and fences at the same time I was working on yours without a single problem. They are both happy and satisfied! This is very telling. To ruin the reputation of an honest, hardworking company over some imagined slight is not acceptable and you will be called upon to justify your allegations. I will ask Homestars to investigate your review. You will have to show them the contract and explain exactly what was in it that was not fulfilled (the 2 x 4 doesn't count) and explain how you were taken advantage of, as you claim. Also, unless my work was sabotaged, there is no way you would find anything wrong with either the materials or workmanship. You can see a few pictures of your job here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.467312463309112.108544.193247687382259&type=1

I have received lots of compliments on. Everything I build meets or exceeds code. I always apply the same work ethic to all my jobs and yours was no exception. I am confident Homestars will find in my favour and get this untruthful and harmful review removed.

More about A Better Landscaper

We are proud to offer one-stop shopping for all your project needs in the Calgary and surrounding area. We will be there from start to finish, from the initial free estimate right down to the beautiful finished yard you'll be proud to call your own. We specialize in custom, personalized ...
Looking for Landscape Contractors & Designers pros in Calgary?