Servicemaster Restore

Fire & Water Damage Restoration
Edmonton AB T5S 2N1
HomeStars  >  Fire & Water Damage Restoration in Edmonton  >  Servicemaster Restore

Reviews for Servicemaster Restore

Corey in Edmonton
Corey in Edmonton
3 reviews Edmonton, AB

Sewer Backup restoration

Amazing crews! Fast, friendly, very considerate and efficient! Worked with ServiceMaster through an insurance claim for sewer back up. They worked fast, hard and diligent to remove everything that was affected by the back up. They proceeded to clean and sanitize the products they removed and stored until the basement could be restored. They sent in a crew that was diligent in thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing the basement and affected areas. They ensured every step of the process was done, completed correctly, efficiently and effectively, along with the insurance adjustor. ServiceMaster kept me informed at every step along the way, and worked well as the middleman between the clean up, the insurance claim and the actual restoration. Every person I came into contact with, whether it was actual employees or hired contractors, made me feel secure and impressed with every service they provided during this restoration process. All of this took place while I was fighting a battle with cancer, and ServiceMaster took away all of my worries and concerns and worked with my schedules. They ensured that I didn't have to be exposed to anything potentially dangerous and they did all the muscle work behind the scenes also to save me the energy and time for my other battles. In my opinion, they MORE than exceeded at ANY expectations I had from this process or this company!

I would definitely recommend these amazing people at ServiceMaster to anyone in need of any restoration service!

Caroline  in Surrey
Caroline in Surrey
1 review Surrey, BC

Fire Project

Had a fire start at our neighbours house, not our fault and our strata company hired service master. Poor communication and very unprofessional service. I do not want to deal with this company ever again and do not recommend this restoration company to anyone. Beware !!

Private User reviews Abbotsford, BC

ensuite restoration

Service Master started out on a good note but after I signed the service agreement, there was little to no service to be had. I would never recommend this company. For my bathroom ensuite, my vanity was supposed to be removed in order to demo the floor tile and then re-install tile. instead, they moved the fully loaded vanity, (incl. contents + a 7' x 3/4" piece of solid granite) out from the wall by literally dragging it across the floor. the resulting damage was worsened when they placed the vanity back against the wall and neglected to provide supplemental support. The floor tile they removed was actually supporting for the vanity and they made no effort to shim or support which left it literally hanging and eventually sagged and dropped. The cost to repair the vanity is $1000. When I addressed the damage and asked why they dragged it, I was told they would look into it and never heard back on the subject. The PM never answered his phone and required a detailed text message before he would receive a call. Also, their charges for work done, included fabricated charges, among other things. One such charge was for removing and resetting a door - although there is no door on the bathroom and charging for demolition that was done by others. Service Master is a terrible company to work with.

Aandj in Toronto
Aandj in Toronto

This company sucks

May long weekend basement got flooded. Took them 3 weeks to do the emergency clean up that was to be done in the first 48 hrs. All the work they did has to be redone. It is now Oct 10 10 2016 and they have only got it half done and have cause more damage to our house. We had to fire them and start all over and redo everything. The project manager Shawn is the worst at doing this kind of work. As dumb as a stick !!

Allan jenkinson in Brantford
Allan jenkinson in Brantford
1 review Brantford, ON

Basement flood restoration

This job was a result of an insurance claim for a basement flood. The project manager was professional and extremely helpful. The workers sent to cleanup and move the contents were sometimes careless and I had to assist them. The trade workers provided were very competent and the results were outstanding. However, after several reviews of the project manager's job scopes, I found financial errors and questionable job quotes. Based on my experience with this company, I feel that their highest priority is to maximize their profit. This company has many good workers and will do a good job if they are monitored. Always question the financials when dealing with this company.

Private User reviews Edmonton, AB

Bedroom and Laundry room flood

Had to redo the majority of the work that service master did. Horrible work. I am not qualified in any home renovations so by me having to go and redo a "professionals" work is saying something. The most painful experience and i will never use them again. The amount of time taken was unreal. Not one good word to say about this company.

Jay from Englewood
Jay from Englewood

Basement water damage

Service was unprofessionally done and over charged. The service agent did not have to cut the carpet because the floor was a plywood floor. All he had to do was to lift the carpet and let it dry. It cost me an additional $5000 to redo the carpeting in the basement. I authorized him to lift the carpet and not to cut it!! He had no common sense. He added all the fans and dehumidifies in the outlets in the same room and caused the breaker to flip. He used many tactics to intimate and justify the use of the fans and dehumidifier in the house for extra days. I am very unhappy with the service that I received and the extra expenses that I had to pay for no reason.

Kevin Winfield in Edmonton
Kevin Winfield in Edmonton

Repairs to Water Damage/Flooding in Basement

We originally hired ServiceMaster in the early Spring to deal with some water that was leaking into our basement laundry room from an unknown source. We were referred to ServiceMaster (or, more specifically, Erin, a project manager working for them at the time) by a co-worker, as his insurance company had recently hired this firm to do extensive repairs to his kitchen hardwood floor following a refrigerator leak.

An excellent representative in every sense, Erin responded quickly to our concerns and worked diligently to determine why water was leaking from behind the (finished) laundry room wall. Indeed, this proved to be a fairly involved process as several wet areas were found, making it difficult to determine whether they were being caused by a leaky pipe or an issue with the foundation itself. Eventually, exploratory holes in the drywall had to be cut into three of the room's four walls before the problem was finally located--a hairline crack in the foundation that was easily patched. Based on Erin's recommendation to do so, we sourced a contractor to repair the foundation wall ourselves, which saved us at least a few hundred dollars.

Had our basement issues ended there, and had ServiceMaster completed the follow-on finishing work they were supposed to do, then this likely would've been a much more positive review. However, bad luck intervened once again and our sump pump failed before the work in the laundry room could be done.

Once again, we called upon Erin and ServiceMaster to assist and, once again--thanks largely to Erin--the response was excellent. As we discovered this second water issue early on--and because we did a considerable amount of bailing until the plumber arrived--the flooding was relatively minor and restricted to just a few areas in the (finished) basement. The disaster recovery team from ServiceMaster came in promptly and removed all of the wet underlay in the affected rooms, sanitized most of the flooded walls/floors (more on that later), and brought in blowers and de-humidifiers to dry everything out. Overall, we were very satisfied with the initial response; Erin was even able to help us fast-track the assignment of an insurance adjustor through her own personal contacts.

In the days that followed, ServiceMaster came back to cut some more holes in our basement walls, rip out wet insulation, pack up what they could out of the flooded areas, and generally prep the affected areas for further work. Mercifully, the limited water damage meant that practically all of the basement's contents were saved, and that a majority of them could still be stored there as well, although redistributing the remainder created additional chaos in the house. At the time, and up until the point where Erin and our insurance adjustor did an onsite inspection of the work to be done two days after the flooding occurred, things progressed well. We were also assured by ServiceMaster that the follow-on repairs--including the final sanitation of the basement crawlspace where the flooding originally occurred (which was apparently overlooked during the initial response) would start right away.

Unfortunately, it was here that things started to go astray.

After a wait of over two weeks and no further word from ServiceMaster, the insurance adjustor contacted us to say that, for reasons unknown, another estimate for the work in the basement needed to be done. This struck our adjuster as odd, as the insurance company was still waiting to hear back from the ServiceMaster about the original estimate/quote. The date for this second estimate was chosen (which was approximately three weeks after the first one), and a new project manager arrived to inform us that Erin was no longer working for ServiceMaster and all of the measurements, assessments, estimates, etc. would have to be redone. When prompted about the other work that was still outstanding (e.g. the sanitization of the basement crawlspace), the project manager said he didn't know anything about it. He was also unaware of, and somewhat disinterested in, the repairs ServiceMaster had originally been hired to do in our laundry room (which also involved a $500 deposit we'd already provided for the same), but promised to look into it further.

Following a week's delay without any update (although a contractor from a carpet company was sent over to do a cursory inspection), I contacted the project manager to determine what, if anything, was going on with our basement repairs. He apologized for the wait (he'd been on a course for a few days and didn't have the chance to get around to finalizing the estimate), but stated that everything would be submitted to the insurance company before the end of the week. In the meantime, he'd have some people come over to finish up the sanitization and to pack up a few more things so that the drywallers could have full access to the walls that needed to be repaired.

Frustratingly, a week came and went without any sign of workers or progress, so another call was made to the project manager. Once again, he was vaguely apologetic, but said that ServiceMaster was still waiting for the insurance company to approve the (second) estimate they'd done two weeks prior. He went on to explain that, as ServiceMaster wasn't on our insurance company's "preferred" partner list, authorization for a cheque to be cut had to be obtained first. After some further prompting, he admitted that the adjuster had already been in contact with him and had given him a verbal OK to proceed with the work, but decided to wait for an e-mail confirmation before proceeding. As such, work on the laundry room had to be postponed as well. Once again, the project manager promised to send someone over to sanitize/pack as soon as he could, and that he'd get back to us soonest with an update.

By this time, a fairly obvious pattern was emerging, and, true to form, the project manager had to be phoned a week later to obtain the status of our basement repairs. Remarkably, I was told that the financial authorization from the insurance company had just come through that very morning and, consequently, the final touches to the work order were just being done. The workers would now definitely be out the following week.

Thursday of the following week arrived and, not unsurprisingly, no workers. After a terse exchange over the phone, the project manager assured us that ServiceMaster would send the packers/sanitization team over the very next day and that the drywallers would be coming in the following week for sure (although there was no mention of when the carpet repairs were expected to be made). Suffice as to say, the appointed day came and went and no workers showed up, nor was there any word from the project manager as to why.

Following an e-mail complaint to both the project manager and ServiceMaster (along with the threat to call the BBB) about the highly unsatisfactory service we received, things finally started to pick up. Indeed, my once silent phone began ringing off the hook with calls from ServiceMaster asking when it would be possible to send the drywallers, painters, etc. over to begin their work. From that point on (which was still the better part of two months since our sump pump had failed), we had some very talented and skilled tradesmen come in and complete the work on our basement. While it took about a month to finish everything, the quality of the work was actually quite high and, at the time of writing, was to our satisfaction. Certainly, what ServiceMaster lacked in front office service was considerably offset by the skills of the folks who did all the follow-on grunt work.

In summary, and based on our experience with ServiceMaster, here's the bottom line: as with any contracting firm, if you get a good project manager, you'll likely be satisfied with what ServiceMaster has to offer--particularly since the workers we encountered were very good at their trade. If you don't get a decent project manager, then the opposite will certainly hold true. Clearly, Erin proved to us that ServiceMaster is capable of being a great company that will do the work that they've been hired to do in an efficient and effective fashion; sadly, this initial satisfaction vanished after the first empty promise we encountered, and our opinion and respect for ServiceMaster continued to erode while our basement repairs remained in limbo. Now that things are finally completed, ServiceMaster has bounced from no stars to five in our opinion, however, and not unlike reading through this review, a considerable amount of time and patience was required before everything finally came to an end.

Review has 1 previous version
Thom from Edmonton
Thom from Edmonton
1 review , AB

ServiceMaster

After a fire they were hired to clean smoke damage, when they sent our contents home they simply had approx. 500 boxes dropped in our basement, would not place furniture in proper rooms. we later while unpacking noticed we ended up with someone else furniture and items, from a headboard and dresser drawers to coffee makers (yes 2 of someone else coffee makers) and dish racks etc.. We also noticed we were missing items, everything from boards and hardware to assemble bed frames to wiring for computers and video games. Items were also badly damaged such as a Coo Coo clock which they packed upside down causing mechanism to fall apart (after me telling supervisor how to pack it properly), i also found broken remotes, one of which had 2 battery covers, I recall only one cover when I bought it new, weird I think! I thought it would be nice to finally have our home and our belongings back, but I am sorry to say it has been a giant disaster! They also delivered all the items clearly marked "Non Restorable" which after a week has released smoke odor back into newly constructed home. I will from now on always voice my opinion of ServiceMaster to anyone looking for a restoration company. We feel let down and abused by a company we trusted with our life's precious items, personal items and documents.

Unhappy from Edmonton
Unhappy from Edmonton

Flood Restoration

WORST SERVICE EVER!!! The first person they sent out to do the work did a terrible job and ended up wrecking one of our jams and a door, the project manager said it wasn't their fault and they shouldn't have to replace it. They acted nice until we told them they had to fix what they wrecked, then they yelled at me over the phone. Eventually we did get skilled workers but a job that should have taken a little over a week took 4 months! I wouldn't recommend them to anybody!!!!