United Alarms

Home Automation
CALGARY AB T2Y 3M9
HomeStars  >  Home Automation in Calgary  >  United Alarms
How well a company responds to Quote Requests and Reviews.

Reviews for United Alarms

Here is my experience with this company:
- Expert came out, explained what we should get, quoted us, set up the system. Great to deal with.
- Alarm system worked pretty good and they always called quickly if the actual alarm went off which was very reassuring.
- If you have to cancel before your "term" is up - in this case because I sold the house - you have to pay a huge buyout fee, several times what the equipment is worth.
- When you cancel, nobody will ask you about moving the system to your new house or make any attempt at customer retention. I felt that they just want to take the cancellation fee and run.
- They would not disconnect the service until I signed and returned a cancellation request form, which I was not able to do as I was nowhere near any type of office, though I e-mailed them several times from my phone explaining this. This meant that the alarm was still connected when the new owners took the house. It was outrageous and completely lacking in common sense.

Based on my experience, the service up front was good but the cancellation experience left me with a pretty bad impression. I would not recommend them. I would consider using this service again if I was reassured that they had brought their business practices into the current century. If you do go with this company, do not sign any type of contract or financing plan. Just pay for the equipment up front (verify what it's worth too before agreeing to it) and negotiate a significantly lower monitoring fee on a month to month basis. If they wouldn't go for that I'm sure there are better options available locally.

Job Price

It is unfortunate this customer did not post his/her name as we are unable to look into the account specifically, however, United Alarm is a home security company, it is of utmost importance to have any cancellation or changes to an account in writing not just over the telephone. Cancelling security monitoring service is not like cancelling your telephone or cable.
When customers sell their property while still under contract, they are given several options; transfer the contract to the new owners, take the system with them if possible, sign up for a new system at their new home or buy out the remaining time of their contract at 87% of what is owing. No company is going to put in equipment for free, install it for free and then let someone walk away from it. The option to purchase equipment up front is an option, but this customer chose to lease it from us and signed a contract for a specified period of time.
We are sorry to hear the customer's experience with regard to cancellation was a less than great experience. Customer service is always United Alarm's top priority.

1 review Airdrie, AB

Moved into a rental property that had your equipment in place, was authorized by property owner to enable security monitoring from your office. From day one, miscommunication from all at United. Was told 3 times by manager Marnie that you had all information required from owner (master code and password) to enable service. Was told i would be called to set up, i made all calls as no one ever contacted me. Everytime i called, spoke to someone different who continued to ask me for passwords. ( DO NOT HAVE THIS INFO!!!!)
Payments (2) ,debited from my account, owner became frustrated with repeated calls from your office and cancelled account. Debits continue to be taken from my bank. MOST INCOMPETENT SERVICE EVER!!!!

Job Price

All things were set up for this customer to use the alarm already in the residence she was renting. She wasn't given the password to this account because she never actually took it over. Unfortunately, she did not inform us that she did not have a landline in place at the time and was advised she would have to pay to put the proper equipment in place in order to have the system work. After multiple conversations with our tech person and our manager, she became irate and said she no longer wanted the service. We informed the landlord and he decided to cancel the account so he didn't have to continue to pay for a system that wasn't going to be monitored.

The first payment was charged to her account and went NSF and the second payment came out of her account because the cancellation letter by her landlord was not received before the first of the month. Customer has been credited that month's payment back. The story she has concocted here is unfortunately not true. We did not charge her the NSF charge on the first payment and tried to work with her but she became unreasonable and we could no longer do anything for her. Bottom line, United Alarm is out the NSF charge and she is out nothing. We always strive to make customers happy but it was not possible in this case.

1 review Edmonton, AB

Weekend service is extremely troublesome. The call center answers with "are you calling to call in a false alarm". If the answer is anything other than yes, they are not able to deal with it. Any problems with sensors or panels they cannot handle and refer a technician. The technician is also limited. They call and try to help on phone but will not come to house even if payment is offered. Call center needs to be educated on product. Ultimately someone also must be responsible and knowledgeable on weekends and afterhours.

Job Price

United Alarm's monitoring service is responsible for responding to emergencies and false alarms, they are not able to provide product support. Any non-emergency situations are referred to our technicians who are on-call after hours. They do their best to assist customers over the phone. If an after hours service call is required, it can be booked for a fee. We are sorry to hear that you have had a less than a great experience. United Alarm strives on providing the best customer service we can. Kind Regards, United Alarm

wyzard in

Do not use this company. They can't help when something is broken, Don't respond to requests and a total waste of money. I have had nothing but issues in last year with them.

Job Price

Our on-call technical support person spent a good half hour on the phone with this customer that night trying to help. The customer tore the system off the wall to stop a beeping noise that in the end was not our issue. Unfortunately after that it was not possible to assist him over the phone. United Alarm strives to help all our customers and service is our top priority. Unfortunately, in this case we were unable to solve this person's problem due to his actions. Best Regards, United Alarm

The service was just suppose to upgrade my firmware but we discover that the smoke detector needs to be replaced.it cost 150 but united alarms added the smoke detector for free

Job Price

Service was good at the beginning later on we called for a window to be fixed and they say there were gonna charge us that wasnt good if the system goes wrong i think its the compagny to fix it at no cost thank you.

S. Soha in

United Alarms provides extremely poor customer services. They have upgraded their alarm system but did not contact us. With the new upgraded to 3G system, my alarm has not been working nor my house security system is active. United Alarms did not contact us to inform us of this change, while United Alarms continued to bill us monthly charges.

Job Price

We’re sorry to hear that you have had less than a great experience with your account. United Alarm strives on providing the best customer service. As we are unable to pull up any information as you placed this under name Soha, I cant look to your account to see what happened. Please feel free to contact Marnie our accounts manager at 403-261-8838 and she would be more than happy to look over your account in more detail.

Kind Regards
United Alarm

Wanted a local small business to install and manage a security system for our home. United Alarms people were wonderfully helpful, friendly and the system price competitive with large and other local companies. Very pleased..

Zhen in Calgary

I googled around for the alarm company in calgary. This one seems giving good quality service and reasonable monthly fee. I called them and they installed the service quickly. United Alarm is definitely your choice if you want alarm service in calgary

Zhen

Thank you for your kind words in this review. We are always glad to hear that you are happy with our services and everything is working well for you. Please let us know if there is anything more we can help you with.

Best Regards

Omar in Toronto

Good service, quick fast and east contact
Staff flexible and easy to call
So far very good services

I made a search on many service provider and landed to united alarm as offer is competitive service provider

Omar
Thank you for taken the time out of your busy day to leave us a 10-star review. These are all appreciated and always great to hear.
Kind Regards

More about United Alarms

Introducing Calgary's #1 privately-owned residential and commercial security company! Since 1990, United Alarm has installed over 60,000 security systems in Calgary, and has a 99% approval rating among our multitudes of customers. This is proven by being named the Consumer’s Choice Award winner 7 straight years in a row!

Why Choose United Alarm?
Many security companies have placed your safety at the heart of their concerns. So why choose United Alarm over another alarm system company?

United Alarm is Calgary-owned and certified to better serve Calgary communities:
Founded in Calgary in 1990, United Alarm has more than 26 years of expertise in protection what is important to you.

With its ULC certification, United Alarm guarantees a quality service, with certified and police screened technicians.

Located in North East Calgary, we serve your community as well as Southern Alberta area. No overseas call center, only local operators.

Getting the security system that fit your needs:
We it comes to protecting what matters most, there is no one-fits-all system. Every house, apartment, business, practice or warehouse has different needs.

When most of security system companies offer unique solutions for homes and businesses, United Alarm builds with you the security structure that will give you the peace of mind you deserve.

Protect what matters most 24/7:
Office hours is not a schedule burglars are familiar with. They rather be the kind to strike at the appropriate time.

United Alarm takes care of your safety 24/7 thanks to an Alarm Monitoring station with back up Stations throughout Canada.

Not convinced? Here are some Awards United Alarm has received since its creation: