Before installing a gas insert, a wood form left in after the initial construction of the house needed to be removed for safety reasons. For others over the years, this was a big deal. For Alan, however, he persevered with the right tools and was able to remove it wholly. He was concerned about safety and also went beyond the call of duty by cleaning our air intake because I told him the room was cold. He was punctual, professional and informative. He sent me pictures the day after the work was completed. I would not hesitate to recommend him.
Thanks Nadia. It is code in certain situations to have HRV installed (Heat Recovery Ventilation). That's a system that takes stale air out of your home and brings in fresh air. In your case, the air intake of the HRV was plugged ...so all that was working was the sending stale air out function ...creating a vacuum inside your house that was bringing air down the fireplace flue...making the room cold. It should be better now, but that air intake should be inspected for dust regularly. thanks again.
alan hilts performed a preliminary inspections, identified safety issues and crafted a remediation plan. He met us 1/2 way through work an the issues certificate of safety and code compliance - he was straight forward and to the point with guidance and advice.
My house was filling with smoke every time I made a fire. Alan came promptly, diagnosed the problem(s) thoroughly, gave clear descriptions of what needed to be done. He did the job in very good time, stuck to the quoted price, was clean and professional. I highly recommend him and his company for fireplace related work.
Alan was very prompt in responding. We agreed on a time and he arrived on-time, inspected our chimney, and told us a variety of helpful tips and things to look out for in using our new fireplace. Would definitely recommend Alan and Nighthawk.
AL inspected our 80 year old chimney and quoted us a very reasonable price to insert a liner. He discussed everything he did with us as he worked and proved to be very knowledgeable. Not only is the chimney now safe for us to use, having a professionally maintained chimney is a plus when selling a house.
Thanks, Mary. I just want to make Beach houses safer. One at a time. Solving the issue in your situation was fun. let me know if any issues arise. I enjoyed solving the aerodynamics of the fire box!
I had an ongoing problem for years with the fireplace in my 100 year old house with smoke curling up the front of the mantle and the entire house having a lingering smell like a campfire after a very small fire with a single fire log. Al Hilts was one of the three fireplace contractors I contacted, and the only one who suggested that rather than assuming it could be fixed with a canopy hood an inspection should be conducted. He came and conducted a thorough inspection of the fireplace and chimney, both inside and out. He quickly determined that for some unknown reason a previous owner had built a second wall in the back of the fireplace narrowing the firebox and causing the smoke to roll up the front of the fireplace instead of up the chimney. He recommended the wall be knocked out, and the problem would be solved. I was very impressed with his knowledge and thoroughness. He took photographs of the inside of the chimney and showed me a number of areas where pieces of brick and mortar were missing and recommended I install a stainless steel liner. He sent me a detailed report and quote. A few days later he came back and restored the firebox and the next day I had a roaring fire with real wood! The fireplace brick is painted white and there was not one mark of smoke on it after the fire, and no smell of fire in my house. I was thrilled. Al had told me that because of the condition of the interior of the chimney that if I smelled smoke upstairs to call him. Well, after about 10 fires I smelled smoke in one of the upstairs bedrooms beside the chimney. Al came back the next day and confirmed the smoke was likely coming through the floorboards in the closet over the dormer so I had him install the liner a few days later. I have had numerous chimney sweeps over the last 20 years and not one of them had any idea how to solve the problem. I am so pleased I called Al and didn’t mask the problem with a canopy. Al made my fireplace safe and we now enjoy a fire almost every night. I would definitely recommend Al for his professionalism, workmanship and superior knowledge.
Dodie. Thank you for this review. I enjoy solving problems others haven't solved. I am happy a solution was found...and it is nice to have amazing customers that can understand my simple solutions. I appreciate it.
Al was fantastic. We have had a wood stove fireplace insert for years and I have had no end of trouble finding someone to clean it who knows what he is doing. Al is the Guy. He came right away, he was incredibly quick at the job, and left the room totally clean. I had to call him back because we had a problem with the chimney and he came right back and figured out the problem and sorted it immediately. Full marks
Nighthawk Chimney provided an excellent service, roto cleaned chimney flue and smoke chamber with excellent results. Provided before and after digital pictures. Competent true professional who knows his trade, I would highly recommend.