A Marco Plumbing Ltd.

Mark from Marco Plumbing
Owner/Manager
Mark Fermo [Full profile]
HomeStars  >  Plumbing in Scarborough  >  A Marco Plumbing Ltd.
How well a company responds to Quote Requests and Reviews.

Reviews for A Marco Plumbing Ltd.

maci13 in Ajax
1 review Ajax, ON

I don't write reviews but I wanted to do this because I am so happy. I had sewer backup and got three estimates from three different companies. I called Marco Plumbing and Shawn came out. He was professional and explained everything what he was going to do. He saved me thousands of dollars when Mr. Rooter and DrainsRescue told me I need to change the pipes. I would give him 100 for rating if I could. I will recommend Marco Plumbing to everyone. They are the best. I am so very disappointed with Mr. Rooter, they were going to change my pipes when a simple snaking solved everything. Thank you Shawn for saving me thousands of dollars. You are the best!

1 review Whitby, ON

Had called another plumber who gave us the run around then found A Marco through, in part, Homestars. They came when they said they would and were very helpful and professional. I found everyone I spoke to and dealt with were terrific. We will call them again if needed and would highly recommend them.

bandb.early
1 review Bowmanville, ON

Marco and his apprentice arrive punctually, did a fabulous job. They were very friendly, professional and tidy. There was some repainting that we completed after, not a big deal. I would definitely recommend this company and crew to do work in your home. Marco was also able to recommend a person to come in and do the ceiling repair due to the water leak and they did a tremendous job also. It is really great to know that there are professionals that do great work and take pride in customer service. Ten stars to this company.

Carolyn in Scarborough

I have been a home owner for 22 years and hired many tradesmen during this time including those doing a second story addition. I am happy to say that this has been my only negative experience. I learned a lot of lessons from this experience and it is my hope to pass on my lessons to others, plus A Marco Plumbing encourages customers to write reviews!

As Mark’s quote seemed reasonable I hired him. He subcontracted to two others to repair a hole in my dining room ceiling and to paint. These jobs were done perfectly and cost $850 plus tax. The problem started with the bathroom. I needed a Jacuzzi bathtub removed and a normal bathtub installed. The removal of the Jacuzzi was fine and the hook up of the tub fine also. The problem was with the tiling.
Lesson #1. Be aware when reading reviews. A Marco Plumbing has mostly positive reviews. Were any of those reviews for him as a tile setter?

I purchased a large tile and mosaic to make two strips. I have had tiles installed before but not tiles of two different thicknesses. In addition I have never had tiles installed in a shower. After the first row was installed I didn’t complain. I didn’t see a problem. I believe that is due to my lack of experience. I should have noticed then that he used large spacers. I should have also noticed that he was using glue not cement. I should have noticed that he did not use the cement board that is normally used in bathrooms and is more expensive. I should also have observed him installing the tiles meaning he did not put any glue on the back of the tile; the tile went on the dry wall board only. I was told by the tile setter I hired later that this meant the large tiles on the ceiling could have fallen into the tub at some point in the future.
Lesson #2. Be completely informed about tile installation. Know the size of the spacers you want, know whether the tiles you have chosen are suitable for a bathroom, know how you want them installed (i.e.: are you okay with glue and do you want glue on the tile and the board or just on the board?), do you want cement board used or just water resistant dry wall/ ) and do not expect the a plumber to discuss any of this with you.

Once all the tiles were installed I complained that they were crooked and not level and not straight and not laying flat against the wall. Mark said he was committed to my satisfaction and would come back and fix them. I questioned why he used glue and how he was addressing the issue of the varying thicknesses of the tiles. Mark assured me that he has been endorsed by a TV personality and knows what he is doing and seemed to imply I was out of line for doing any research on the internet.
Lesson #3. If a person leaves your home after doing a bad looking job, don’t let them have a second chance.

Mark returned and did try his best fix the tiles in places but the mosaic was still not right. When I again complained, Mark agreed to have his “tile setter” come to fix the mosaic. Mark was not willing to have the entire tiling job redone.
Lesson # 4. Even when a company states they are committed to your satisfaction, there is a limit.

When the tile setter came and removed the mosaic I realized that even with the mosaic straighter I could not live with the larger spacers. I was also not happy with the use of glue as strangely after a couple of weeks the glue was still not dry in places. I told Mark that I would be hiring someone else and he agreed to give me a credit of $1100.00 towards the balance owing. I obtained a quote of $1200.00 to re-do the tile installation but ended up paying $1500.00 plus purchasing all new tile because all of the tiles and board that Mark had installed went to landfill. Lesson # 5. It is best to hire someone proficient in his trade.

Re: PAYMENTS. When the work began I gave my credit card information and agreed to a deposit. After the ceiling repair was done I again agreed to an installment be charged on my credit card. When contacted about the $1200.00 balance owing I mentioned that I was out $1500.00 plus the cost of new tiles as well as the fact that all the previously installed tiles and dry wall when to landfill. The response of Sharon in the office was to say it was my decision to hire someone else and to charge the $1200.00 owing to my credit card without giving me notice she was doing so. It looks to be like I paid A Marco Plumbing over $2500.00 to hook up a bathtub and for a new bathtub.

The story ends with Sharon advising me that any further correspondence will be forwarded to their lawyer.

Job Price

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to you tile job. Marco Plumbing takes pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction and we do feel that we have taken every possible action in doing so. The materials we used for your tile job were of industry standards. We used AcrylPro Ceramic Tile Adhesive which is a high performance, professional formula adhesive with high bond strengths and can be used with tile up to 18 in. x 18 in. but dry time significantly increases. It is suited for both ceramic and mosaic tile. AcrylPro provides maximum resistance to water exposure. We also used DensShield® Tile Backer which is a substrate for floor, wall and ceiling ceramic tile installations and has a built-in moisture barrier which protects tile installations and the wall cavity from the effects of moisture in wet areas such as bathrooms and kitchens.
We always encourage our customers to look on the internet and be very specific as to what they want and what the options are prior to the job. We were not made aware of any dissatisfaction until the tile was completely up. Once you let us know that you were unhappy we immediately removed all the tile and installed it a second time. It was only once it was completely installed a second time that we were made aware that you were unhappy with the size of the spacing. Because you felt that you would be happier using another tiler we deducted the amount allocated for that portion of the job and the replacement material from the balance owing. We certainly would not ask anyone to pay for a service they were not 100% happy with. We do feel that we have done everything in our power to rectify this issue and after numerous emails it was felt that it may best for both parties to go to the next level.

chrismbrown
1 review Whitby, ON

Mark arrived right on time and was friendly and knowledgeable. He provided a quote for the work before he started and estimated the time correctly to handle the repair of 4 toilets and my kitchen faucet. Would call him again!

Your more then welcome

robwein

Marc did a good job overall. Arrived on time when scheduled for the 1 day job...minor bathroom reno. Some things were not fully done by end of the day so I contacted the office and he immediately came back to finish the work which was great.

kent from North York

Originally called A Marco in to quote on tub/shower conversion from 50 year old 3-faucet (middle diverter) to single handle. This job needed a master plumber. A Marco sent a junior plumber who quoted high $$ for this job, plus he said we would need to re-tile because there wasn't enough room for the parts I had purchased (more $$). In the meanwhile, this junior promised to fix a simple sink-strainer drip and up-sold a new tap (not required) to my wife. $500 later, the junior warped my countertop-sink where it meets the sink by not reinforcing/bracing under the new faucet assembly. Because of this, we ended up with more standing water entry points, so the drip issue was not solved...and we were out $500. Needless to say, we did NOT have A Marco return to work on the shower/tub faucet conversion.

Hi Kent
Our records do not show a "Kent" in our system
Could it be under your wife's name?
I'd like to see where we went wrong on the call
Please give us a call and I will be more then happy to look into it.

Mark Fermo

steven.bond
1 review Newcastle, ON

Great job and fast! Would recommend to friends and family. New system reduced water contaminates from 168 ppm to 116 ppm so far.

Our pleasure

tworetirees
1 review Whitby, ON

Replacement of the rusted well tank was accomplished in about 2 hours and now has fewer connections than previously, resulting in a cleaner, more efficient connection to the pump.

bobc in Ajax
1 review Ajax, ON

Mark at Marco Plumbing did a great job at our home fixing a broken solenoid and replacing a saddle valve. He was able to call around to find a replacement part for much cheaper than originally quoted. Work was performed neatly and quickly with no unexpected problems.

Job Price

More about A Marco Plumbing Ltd.

Marco Plumbing is a well-respected, full-service plumbing company servicing both residential and commercial clients in the Whitby, Scarborough, Durham and Toronto Area. A highly service-oriented company, Marco Plumbing’s team of fully licensed, professional plumbers draws on shared experience, expertise, and commitment to quality to deliver worry-free plumbing services to homeowners, commercial businesses, and property managers.

Mark Fermo, owner and founder of Marco Plumbing, leads the award-winning and reputable company with a focus on providing unmatched customer service. With over 20 years of professional plumbing experience, Mark is backed by a team of experienced, reliable, fully licensed and insured, professional plumbers who proudly wear the Marco Plumbing uniform.

As Durham’s most affordable plumbing company, Marco Plumbing has raised the bar for plumber and drain services in Whitby, Richmond Hill, Thornhill, Markham, Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa and Toronto and the surrounding areas for over 10 years.