J. Murphy's Contracting

MapleRidger8 in Maple Ridge
MapleRidger8 in Maple Ridge
2 reviews Maple Ridge, BC

Fireplace refacing; Small deck construction

Although we live in a relatively new house (built 2012), the fireplace ledgestone was installed in such a way that it was a falling hazard. We also wanted to improve our small backyard concrete slab area with some cedar decking. James Murphy was quick to respond to our query and was very patient and quick to respond to my many questions about design and installation. The guys were professional, polite, on time and kept mess to a minimum. We had a little hiccup due to some mis-communication, but it worked out well and we are more than pleased with the results. And yes, we would recommend James and his team to anyone and would them again.

I would have given 5 stars for satisfaction, save for the slight miscommunication amongst us.

Greg in Toronto
Greg in Toronto

Steam Shower Tiling

I contacted J Murphy's Contracting after reading the reviews on this site, Home Stars. James responded to my enquiry promptly and we arranged a convenient time for him to provide me with a quote. James was knowledgable of the work I was needing done, and also provided me with some excellent advice on how to improve the vision I had of how my new steam shower should look. James and his crew showed up the following week and finished the job on time, and on budget. I was really impressed with the quality of the work and am now only awaiting the installation of the glass to enjoy the steam shower. I have other renovation projects planned for the New Year and will be calling on James to assist me with those endeavours as well. I highly recommend J Murphy's Contracting.

Thanks for the great review Greg, I look forward to working with you in the future!

moranje89 in Aldergrove
moranje89 in Aldergrove
2 reviews Langley, BC

Full home renovation

My wife and I purchased a townhouse in our preferred neighbourhood a few months ago. The previous owners had left it so that it needed quite a bit of work to make it to our liking. We contacted J. Murphy's Contracting and couldn't be happier with our decision! A project of this scope was unnerving for us to say the least but James and his team have made this a wonderful experience. They are prompt, patient and professional. The workmanship is excellent and the workers are a fantastic group. Everyone that has seen the work has complimented us on it. I would highly recommend James and his team to anyone looking to do home renovations.

Hey Mike, thanks very much for the review. Can't wait to get going on that bathroom! We'll be back soon!

Travel Best Bets
Travel Best Bets
1 review Langley, BC

Travel Best Bets - New Retail Office Location Renovation

We used J. Murphy's Contracting for opening our most recent location of our Travel Agency, Travel Best Bets. James and his team offered us the most competitive rate when we compared his company to several other contractors. All the work was completed ahead of schedule and they created exactly what I envisioned for our new office location. We could always get a hold of them when we needed them and they were a pleasure to work with overall. I will definitely be using J.Murphy's Contracting for projects in the future. Highly recommend!

- Claire Newell, Owner Travel Best Bets

Thanks Claire, it was a real pleasure working with you and Hayley on this project. I look forward to our next project together. Good Luck with the new store. James

1 review Pitt Meadows, BC

House pillar replacement

We had two rotten pillars at the front of our house. James responded promptly to our request for a quote and his team did the work within a short timeframe even though it was a smaller job. The work was done really well, and the guys also fixed the rotten deck joists once they realized they were rotten. Would definitely recommend and use J. Murphy Contracting again.

Thanks Joanne, call us anytime.

cjnairn in
cjnairn in
1 review Maple Ridge, BC

Deck support posts and back stairs

James and his crew were a pleasure to deal with and would definitely hire them again. James provided a quote promptly and managed to fit our smaller jobs into his schedule the following week. James was professional, honest and very hands on, which is hard to find these days. Thank you again for the work you did for us!
Cale and Jody Nairn, Maple Ridge BC

Thanks Jody, glad we could help out.
Please call me anytime!
James

shar11629
shar11629

Fence Re-Build

I had my backyard fence re-built. The guys were very professional and efficient. They did a great job and the fence looks great!
I will definitely do future business with James Murphy's Contracting.

Thanks Sharon, call me anytime. James

Victor
Victor
1 review Hinton, AB

Bathroom, New Room Construction, Wall Removal, Laundry Room, Fireplace

On first impression, James was punctual and communicated with my wife and I well. This set things off on the right foot. We contacted 7 contractors (only 3 responded to my phone calls) and right off James separated himself from them with his professionalism, honesty, and communication. Every contractor in the lower mainland is slammed and has work coming out of their ears. There is nothing more frustrating than not getting phone calls returned or sub trades not showing up when you had arranged a time, particularly when you have to take time off work to meet them. James always came through with his word which I highly respect(and seems rare in this industry).
• Scope: Our Reno touched almost every part of our house.
o Two full bathroom Reno’s
o New room/office construction
o Major wall removal
o Fireplace demo, new tile and mantel
o Baseboard, trim(doors and windows) throughout the entire house
o Laundry room Reno
o Replacing all interior/exterior doors and custom closet install

• Quality of Work: James, Mike and his crew do quality work. I’m the type of guy that walks around and inspects all the work so attention to detail is very important. Even if the job or project takes longer than initially estimated, James will get it done right rather than rush through it to meet the timeline. To me, that is MUCH, MUCH more important in the long run. Overall I am very happy with the work done.

• Costs: James did everything he could to pass on his discounts and save me money where possible. I really appreciated that. He also tried his best to keep costs down where we decided to get some additional projects done not in our original scope of work. His costs are very reasonable and I think we saved thousands (probably 10’s of thousands) by being able to source our own materials and use his discounts. I understand that many contractors don’t pass on discounts unfortunately.

Conclusion
I believe we were lucky to have James and crew work on our renovation. Particularly in a time where every trade and contractor is slammed busy. James was professional, his quality of work was top notch and he treated us with respect and did his best to work with our schedules. If something unforseen came up, James would work with me to come up with a viable solution that was a good balance of keeping costs in check and finishing the project properly.

We also have a 5 month old baby so James' crew worked around his sleeping schedule as well which was much appreciated (and must have been a pain for his guys).

I highly recommend James Murphy contracting to anyone that is thinking of doing renovations in their house as the work will be done properly, to a high quality, and in a cost effective manner.

Wow, thanks for the great review Victor. I'm super happy that you and Carol are impressed with the work that was done. It really was a complicated project on so many levels but you guys couldn't have been more flexible and reasonable with the constant changing of directions and troubleshooting. We had a lot of fun working with you and really the job is a lot easier when working with great clients. I wish you all the luck with the new baby. Call us anytime. Thanks for everything. James

dawne in Vancouver
dawne in Vancouver
1 review Port Coquitlam, BC

2 complete bathroom renovations, kitchen backsplash, potlights, painting and ceiling fan replacement

I really should be writing a number of different reviews for JAMES MURPHY and his crew as they performed numerous much-needed projects at my house during the summer of 2016. What started out with me wanting to re-tile my ensuite bathroom ballooned into my decision to perform numerous renovations and repairs to my outdated 1980's house, including the complete gut and rebuilding of 2 bathrooms. I quickly came to the realization that these projects were way beyond my capabilities. Next stop - find a contractor! I spent days checking out a number of websites and eventually asked for quotes from 3 different contractors. JAMES MURPHY was the only one who responded and when we set up our first meeting, he arrived at the door precisely on time and impressed me from the beginning with his professionalism and enthusiasm - the man obviously loves his work. My decision was made! (NOTE: I did hear from the other 2 - weeks later!)<br/>Within a few days, JAMES provided me with an outline of the work to be performed and a quote, which thankfully fell within my budget, and he stayed on budget throughout! Construction began! Throughout the project, JAMES provided me with the names of his various suppliers from bathroom fixtures, custom cabinetry, granite, tile and shower glass, and I was able to take advantage of his contractor discounts. There were snags along the way, as there always is in construction, but JAMES was able to find a solution for everything and fix it, even tracing some horrible dry rot that had spread right to the outside siding of my house and stopping it in its tracks. This required replacing and re-painting some outside cedar siding before the construction of the bathroom could continue.<br/>JAMES and MIKE from his crew quickly made friends with the resident puppy at my house and I felt very comfortable giving them access to the house each day, even while I was away on a month's vacation. JAMES communicated with me regularly by phone, email and text to let me know what was happening along the way, even sending a movie while I was away on vacation to help with some decision-making that arose. The crew cleaned up every evening and SARAH even vacuumed my staircase one Friday as she knew I was hosting a dinner party that evening! I even relied on JAMES and his crew to make suggestions on design and grout colour etc and am so pleased with the results.

I now have 2 brand new fabulous bathrooms, new kitchen backsplash, a freshly painted stairwell, potlights and some new ceiling fans, and I can't be more pleased! I have already recommended J. MURPHY'S CONTRACTING INC. to numerous people and will continue to do so. He literally made a major construction project a dream and I am very thankful! He was a great find!

Thanks Dawne! Working with great people like you really makes my job easy. And thanks for all the referrals, we got 4 more bathrooms on the schedule thanks to you. And that is awesome! Thank you!

More about J. Murphy's Contracting

At J. Murphy’s Contracting, our goal is to craft exceptional designs for every Homeowner, transforming your vision into a reality. We are committed to providing superior customer service to our clientele through our quality workmanship, open communication and customized solutions in every home project. By giving you the ultimate peace of mind, we aim to become your General Contractor of choice.