Northern Comfort Windows & Doors LTD

Windows & Doors Installation & Service
556 Bryne Drive Barrie ON L4N 9P6
HomeStars  >  Windows & Doors Installation & Service in Barrie  >  Northern Comfort Windows & Doors LTD

Reviews for Northern Comfort Windows & Doors LTD

jhenderson in Angus
jhenderson in Angus
1 review Angus, ON

windows and door

Tyler Proud did a very professional job on all aspects of the installation. Was meticulous with the finishing touches in every stage from start to finish. Very happy with finished product. Jim Henderson

Thanks Jim glad all went well and your happy with everything

Christine and Robert
Christine and Robert

Sales service

We received exceptional service from Jennifer. We had a lot of questions and she was very diligent in getting back to us. We felt we were in good hands and would highly recommend Jennifer for anyone purchasing Northern Comfort Windows and Doors.

wonderful to hear we will sure pass this on to Jennifer

GS Henderson in Barrie
GS Henderson in Barrie

Front door

We love our new front door! Delivery and installation was delayed twice which was a bit inconvenient. Tyler Proud was the lead installer and he and his helper did a great job. They were professional and ensured we were completely satisfied.

Thank you for the review enjoy the new door

Window replacements

We just had Ryan and Travis is to replace three of our windows (bedroom, bathroom and kitchen). They were very knowledgeable, professional and its obvious that they take a lot of pride in their work. They showed respect by covering up all the qork areas and cleaning up the areas.
Thanks to them for their great service!

Thank you for sharing your experience with the installation team we will be sure to let them know. Enjoy your new windows

Tammy in Barrie
Tammy in Barrie
1 review , ON

Windows

A big thank you to Mitch and Allan for the professional job they did installing our new windows. They did a great job with the clean up. They made the job look easy.

Thanks for the great feedback - much appreciated Tammy.

G.Eldridge in Barrie
G.Eldridge in Barrie

Very Disappointing - Poor Customer Service

Still waiting for our project to be completed. Gave our deposit August 2017 & we are now nearing end of April 2018 and work is still not completed. A 8-10 week estimate has turned into 8 months. We are pretty patient people but customer service has been sub-par, told one thing & always a delay and to top it off when they did finally install some of the windows we have issues. Gaps in exterior caulking, most expensive window we ordered, not plumb and wrong sill size, trim work delayed, garage door track system delayed, delay after delay with no offering of compensation for our inconveniences. Our salesman doesn't even respond back to us anymore & every time we hear from the office its a different person with a different story. We understand that delays can happen but 8 months is a bit ridiculous and now that they have most of our money they don't seem to be in any hurry to address our issues. For our first ever window replacement job, this has been a big disappointment. Hopefully this post will make people think twice about dealing with this company as my experience has been painful. I have had to take 2 extra days off work with more to come to satisfy their mistakes & schedule and no one has offered to compensate me for any of this time. On a final note, I have paid for all my windows that qualify for GreenOn Rebate, submitted before & after pictures that I took myself and I'm being told that Northern Comfort will not submit anything to the government on my behalf until by bill is paid in full. All I have outstanding is my garage door that I've been waiting on for 8 months and has nothing to do with GreenOn Rebate. Well sir, you can pay your bill in full, I was told, then we can submit your paperwork, what a joke.

We apologize and we have reached out to remedy this quickly for you.

Northern CIRCUS

First and foremost, the point of this review is to caution all of you considering using this company to save your time and money and use a different window and door provider!!! There are so many out there with comparable prices and products (if not better) and I can assure you, the service and satisfaction you will get elsewhere will FAR exceed anything that Northern Comfort can provide.

This company had a fantastic reputation but was sold in the summer of 2017 and has since DRASTICALLY gone downhill, which is extremely unfortunate as I had heard nothing but good things from the old owners and the way they conducted their business, this information is why we decided to use the company for our windows and doors.. The GM of the company is named Jim, who does not return emails, phone calls and makes promises he cannot keep, he holds ZERO accountability.. The Installation manager, Mike, is no different. The entire company has a brush off attitude and makes promises they don’t keep, again NO ACCOUNTABILITY. Phone calls are ignored, customer satisfaction in workmanship is ignored, contracts are ignored and they provide false advertising on their website stating that they do not hire sub-contractors, the only people that came out to install our windows and doors on all 3 occasions were SUB-CONTRACTORS…

We ordered windows and a door in September of 2017 – we signed a "contract" with the sales rep named Greg, who completely ignored our calls and emails the minute after we signed the contract, and we were told that the ordering time would vary but that we would receive a call for installation somewhere between 8-11 weeks after ordering PER THE "CONTRACT" . We provided a 25% deposit as was requested to place the order and started the waiting period of having our items installed…

Cut to week 9,10,11 where we were told someone would be in contact with us to schedule an appointment for installation.. no one contacted us. We called our Sales Rep who was next to impossible to get a response from and ended up speaking with the Sales Manager. We were told that the windows and door were on back order and that they would be delayed a few weeks. Cut to week 16.. still have not heard from anyone from Northern Comfort, we called back to find out what was going on and when we could expect installation, we were told this time that the guy who was responsible for ordering inventory had been fired because he was not doing his job (meaning he hadn’t been ordering the right inventory and our windows still hadn’t been ordered??).. so we waited.. we were now into January and almost double the amount of time agreed upon in our contract to have our items installed.. it was a very cold winter and the reason we decided to purchase the items in September was to have them installed before the winter months to save ourselves on the hydro and gas to heat our home. Our plan did not work out the way we had hoped, things only continued to go downhill from here..

We continued to call the office every two weeks from January on to find out what the status was of our order and when we could expect to either have our deposit refunded or have our items installed. The office staff put us in contact with the General Manager, Jim, who was no more help than the last guy who we were dealing with who was "fired".. We expressed our concerns to Jim and told him how unhappy we were with the service and lack of communication and all we wanted was our windows and door installed as agreed in the original contract. He assured us that he would make things right and that he would discount the entire cost of the job to which would be “acceptable for both parties”. Between Feb-March, we had sub contract installers come to our home on 3 separate occasions on behalf of Northern Comfort to FINALLY install our windows and door.. the first time was just the windows, we had paid extra (as required by Northern Comfort) to have our shutters removed and re-installed which after the windows were installed, the contractor told us he “had an appointment” and could not reinstall the shutters as we had PAID extra to have done. On top of the this, the trim they used to frame the new windows on the inside of our home left a large gap of unfinished window completely noticeable. The subcontractors left our home in this state and thought the job was completed appropriately. We called the “Installation Manager” – Mike, who came out to our home to inspect the work done, agreed that it was poor workmanship and said that he would have another crew out to fix the issues. Mike agreed that the work was so poorly done that he told us the contractors had been fired.. (Why does this company fire all of their employees?? If they think it’s because it’s what the consumers want to hear, they are wrong! Maybe spend less time firing your employees and more time training them on how to property install windows and better customer service!) So after the Installation Manager visited our home and agreed to send out another crew, he basically went MIA and was unreachable by phone/email/text and even when we tried to reach him through contacting the office. So we waited..

A week later we spoke with the General Manager, yet again, who promised us complete satisfaction and reminded us that our final pricing would be reflective of our horrible experience with Northern Comfort, however, when we asked what the discount would be to see if we would even be happy with the amount they were going to take off before we decided if we were going to continue with having our items installed or pull the plug on the whole deal, we were consistently told that they “could not disclose the amount of the discount until after everything was installed” but they “promised” that it would be acceptable to both parties.. A week after the windows were “partially” installed and still not yet completed, we had a crew come out to install our door, my husband took another day of work to be home for the installation. The crew again were sub-contractors and showed up to our home WITHOUT the necessary items to install the front door.. they were there for 20 minutes, realized they didn’t have what they needed and left!! We called the installation manager and were again told, “those contractors were fired”.. however, that didn’t help the fact that we still had no door!

The third time my husband took a day off work to be home for the installation of the door it was done quickly and the crew was very respectable. We had no issues at this time, however we did pay extra to have a new door sill installed under our new front door, and what we had installed and what we were told was going to be installed upon ordering and paying the deposit, was very different. This was not the crew’s fault and when we spoke to the GM about it, he told us they didn’t offer the sill that we were told would be installed and that we had been “misinformed”… The crew who installed our door this time, fixed the trim and shutters on our windows and everything seemed to be in order.

Reviews are not something I have ever spent time on completing, however, I felt as though the situation that we experienced over the last 7 months with Northern Comfort was something that needed to be shared to warn other customers of the type of service that is provided from this company. We had many quotes for our windows and door before we decided on a company, and went with Northern Comfort based on the reviews that we read. What a terrible mistake on our part, it is unfortunate that we experienced what we did, however, if we can help any other families who work hard for their money and take pride in their home AVOID a situation like we experienced, I would consider it a successful post. Stay away from this company, use ANYONE else for your windows and doors.

Good afternoon,

We are very sympathetic and apologize your process did not go as expected. Having said this, we do recall your order and that in the end, we came to our agreement regarding your requests regarding compensation. We also recall the constant forms of communication on your order from the beginning of January to be sure your order was completed for you.

We understand the time delays can be very frustrating and we apologize for the delay. Unfortunately, with the success of the new product (REVOCELL) that was launched last year, it did create a backlog, not to mention the amount of rain delays we suffered.

In the end, we are happy there was an agreement met between both parties and your order was completed for you.

Astrogal from Barrie
Astrogal from Barrie
4 reviews Barrie, ON

Very satisfied!

I found this company while searching for window installers in Barrie that work with the GreenON rebate program. I just needed 1-2 windows replaced, so it was a small job. I contacted 5 companies total (one of which didn't even bother coming out and just quoted over the phone) and this one made my top two. The salesman (Matt) came out to my house and measured the windows, explained my options, the benefits, etc. thoroughly. He was able to offer me a competitive quote on the spot, which was the best value. He even brought a portable printer with him to get everything printed out immediately. He came out a second time to get the contract signed and speak with my husband. Any questions I had were answered promptly via email or phone call. He clearly explained the wait time was 14-16 weeks (this was in mid-February). A guy came out to re-measure the windows a few days after the contract was signed, just for the sake of accuracy when placing the order. To our delight, just about 8 weeks later (mid-April) we got a call that the windows were ready and they could come out the very next day to install them - great! The crew of four showed up about 1/2 hour earlier than expected the next day and worked diligently. I liked that they put blankets down to protect the floors while they walked and worked, as well as covered nearby furniture with plastic to protect from debris. They were done in just 2 hours. The new windows look great and are just what we expected, as well as the price (i.e. no hidden extra charges). I had read mixed reviews about this company so was really hoping for the best and I got better than expected!

Astrogal, thank you for that derailed review. Happy to hear everything went well.

Windows in Barrie
Windows in Barrie

Replacement Windows

I was looking for a company that could install the Go Green windows. The program gives you a refund from the government of up to $5,000.00.
Northern Comfort installers Dale and John showed up Wednesday April 4, 2018. They began working right away and continued on for the rest of the day. They returned the following day to continue working. It was apparent to Dale and John that they would require additional time as I was having 11 windows replaced, 2 patio doors and the return of all the shutters on the windows. They came across a number of challenges but they kept at it until each fit was perfect. The kitchen window was the only one that couldn't have the shutter replaced and that was due to a faucet that was installed after the shutters.
After 3 solid days, the job was completed and I was completely satisfied with the work that was performed by Northern Comfort and Dale and John.
My only concern was the drywall dust that remained all over the house.
My suggestion would be to cover the furniture a lot better and carefully remove the plastic. For all the work that was done, dust is a small inconvenience.

Thanks for that feedback. I have passed on your recommendations to our service manager.

Tim K  in Barrie
Tim K in Barrie
1 review New Tecumseth, ON

Zero Accountability!

Northern Comfort Windows & Doors (Verdun) No Accountability! Nobody Cares! Before I start this review, it’s important to note it’s my first on-line review of any kind. It takes a lot to drive someone to attempt to warn consumers about companies like this, Northern Comfort Windows & Doors(Verdun is the parent company and has several smaller companies like Northern Comfort) has no standards in customer care, they are a company in disarray. No accountability, nobody cares! The thing that drives me crazy is...”I advertised this company to my friends and neighbours by agreeing to have their sign on my lawn, I advertised these Jokers for 12 weeks!” I’m the chump! They missed their agreed deadline by months, blaming “Industry Standards” delays= Bull! I couldn’t get a call or email returned for 5 weeks from their sales people, btw...they use contractors as “sales people” so after they take the order and get your deposit...good luck! The installers were inexperienced and AGAIN...they use 3rd party installers to complete the work. The work is at no time inspected by an actual Northern Comfort employee.
Outside of making the Windows and taking the order...everything else is contracted. I took the time to contact their Sales Manager, he got fired while we were discussing my issues. Again I had to contact someone else within the company and finally got the General Manager who informed me that “...all sorts of issues and no work has been done by the former sales manager”...no accountability! When you visit the showrooms, look for any “New” Company awards or accolades...they are living on “past glory”! You won’t find one recent award, they forgot what got why they received the awards in the first place. No accountability! Once the Windows finally arrived we found out “ THEY” measured wrong and the Windows needed to be remade. No accountability, no apology...nobody over there cares about the customer. The job was finally completed after months of delays and it was Crappy at best! Do yourself a favour and stay away from this company regardless of the “apparent discounts and special offers”! I was offered a small sum of money to sign a release so Northern Comfort Windows Doors would not be held responsible. I declined the offer so I could warn consumers! Consumers don’t MATTER to Northern Windows and Doors...because they don’t care themselves! They had every opportunity to make this situation right and failed miserably.
Tim K
New Tecumseth, Ontario

Tim, our goal is to get every job right - to have customers who are keen to work with us again. Clearly we missed the mark on your project. There were delays in getting your windows to you, our communications with you was not good and we had to correct mistakes that were made. I understand that you are frustrated. We did offer you compensation for your inconvenience but clearly, you felt it was not sufficient. We are doing everything in our power to become the best customer-focussed, service driven business in our industry. We'll make mistakes along the way, and when that happens all we can do is make it right and offer fair compensation. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused and would be happy to discuss it further with you if that is something that you'd consider. My name is Jimm Fox, I am the Director of Marketing for the Company and you can reach me at 613 443-2694.

More about Northern Comfort Windows & Doors LTD

Northern Comfort Windows & Doors is a proud, Canadian, family-owned and operated business.

Established in 1998, Northern Comfort & Windows has now installed thousands of high energy efficient doors and windows throughout York Region and Simcoe County. The staff at Northern Comfort understands your home is your most important investment.

When you choose Northern Comfort for your replacement window and door needs, you can be confident you’ll receive expertly installed windows and doors with a lifetime warranty at reasonable prices.

“WE TREAT YOUR HOME LIKE OUR OWN”