Clarified Home Inspections

david-griffin in Mississauga
david-griffin in Mississauga
0 reviews , ON

Home Inspection - New Property

We put a conditional offer down on a new property in Mississauga and asked Shawn to come and conduct a Home Inspection as part of the conditions. The service delivered was prompt, comprehensive, and excellent in every regard. Shawn was professional and friendly, giving us excellent insight into the issues found at the property and allowing us to have certain additional conditions placed on the purchase.

The report was thorough and very accurate. It also contained a great deal of reference information to enable us to see the approximate cost of any future upgrades the property.

I would highly recommend Clarified Home Inspections. Thank you!

Hi David, Thank-you for taking the time to leave a review. I am very happy to hear you were satisfied with service. If I can be of any future service please do not hesitate to ask. Best, Shawn

MarkusW
MarkusW

Honesty, Integrity, and Unparalleled Knowledge

Shawn is, without fail, the easiest referral I make as a realtor. Honesty and integrity is a trait that should always be commended, and Clarified Home Inspections stands above and beyond in every way.
I've referred out Shawn countless times to all of my buyers and sellers over the past 7 years. Each and every client has been satisfied to the point where his review page is likely littered with a heavy number of them. I have not heard a word of complaint or regret in their decision to hire Shawn to perform the inspection.

I place my reputation on the line when I refer anyone out. If something should go wrong, it both reflects badly on that person, and on me for making the referral. However, I know that will never be a problem with Shawn. He exceeds expectations consistently and I will never ever choose someone else with the important role of a home inspector.

Simply put, he's the best, and he's the tier in which other inspectors should hope to achieve. Thank you for continuing to be such a important part of my business, Shawn.

Hi Markus, I am very happy to hear you are satisfied with the service. Thanks for trusting in me to look out for the interests of your clients. Your referrals are always greatly appreciated. Best, Shawn

Private User reviews Ottawa, ON

Great buyer home inspection

Shawn is knowledgeable and speaks in plain terms. His service was excellent and he responds to questions quickly after the inspection. I would recommend him to any first time home buyers

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am thrilled to hear you were happy with the service. If I can be of any help in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Best

Shawn

GrantK in Toronto
GrantK in Toronto

Home inspection with an issue

I am going to try to be as balanced as I can here, and I have made these comments to Shawn by phone.
On the positive side, Shawn was great to deal with, very personable, arrived before we did and was already on the roof when we got there.
The walk through was thorough overall, and the report was easy to read with lots of pictures and tips.
Where things went offside was when Shawn was reluctant to open the access panel to the jacuzzi tub as he was concerned about damaging the paint. Our agent and I weren't willing to give him permission to proceed, so it was left unopened.
Subsequent to moving in, and using the tub, we found water had leaked (we could see this from the ceiling immediately below). In order to attempt to assess the situation, I decided to open the access panel and found it came off with very gentle pressure. Once open, mold was easily seen and we immediately called someone to assist us.
Their assessment was that the issue had been ongoing for sometime, and they could see not just mold but what appeared to be fungus.
We had intended to replace the tub with a walk-in shower, which I did tell Shawn, but this forced us to have to do so much sooner than anticipated, and added approximately $1,000 of costs to remediate the issue.
Ultimately my issue is the failure of imagination on Shawn's part - whether we were going to replace the tub or not is irrelevant. As my wife said, he should have suggested we seek permission from the seller or the seller's agent to open the panel rather than balk at the risk of damaging the paint. I am not the home inspector, he is, and I shouldn't be expected to know what's important to look at.
I will note that these comments have the benefit of hindsight, but considering that water is one of the worst enemies of a home, I don't feel they are unreasonable.

Hi Grant, I am sorry to hear that you had problems with water leakage around your bathtub after taking possession of the house.
The home inspection process is, of course, an exercise in risk reduction, however it cannot eliminate all risk of future problems, as many areas of the house are obscured, concealed or otherwise inaccessible to the inspector.

As you had mentioned, the stuck access hatch under the bathtub was not opened during the inspection due my assessment, based on previous experiences in similar situations, that trying to do so could cause damage to the drywall or wall paint. As neither you, your real estate agent or I own the house, we do not have permission to undertake a potentially damaging activity. Any inspection damage caused to the Seller’s home would have been at my cost to fix. As a guest in someone else’s home I must often make judgement calls about what risks to the property are warranted to investigate concealed or difficult to reach areas based on other visual clues, symptoms and potential for problems.

At the time of the inspection, the bathtub & tiled shower enclosure in that bathroom showed no significant deterioration. Visual examination, thermal imaging and moisture measurements taken on the 1st floor ceiling below the bathroom showed no active water leakage and no staining or discoloration which would have indicated a history of problems.

As you mentioned, at the time of the inspection, you had indicated that you were planning a near-term complete reno of that bathroom to meet your family’s needs and this further mitigated the need of taking the risk of damage to remove the wall panel to look under a tub which was coming out anyway. I did not anticipate any problems which would significantly affect your reno given the lack of other symptoms.

When we spoke on the phone, I wish you had taken me up on my offer of coming back to the house to evaluate the condition under the tub after you had taken possession of the house. I may have been able to offer you some practical short-term solutions to extend the life the current installation. These solutions may have better suited your desired reno timeline, as compared to the advice provided by a renovation contractor.

Again, I am sorry to hear you had a problem and I understand your frustration and review.

If I can help with any questions about the house in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Shawn

Debra in Toronto
Debra in Toronto

Home Inspection

Shawn is a very professional, patient and experienced inspector. The inspection was done under a very detail procedure. I received a thorough inspection report, combined with not only the current defects of the property, but also with the potential risks. In addition, Shawn gave me very professional and sincere advice on how to fix the current defects of the property, and the potential costs. The advice was very helpful for me on negotiating the price with the seller. Shawn also helped me on the second time inspection after the defects was fixed by the seller. I really appreciate Shawn's hard work and professional advice. Last but not least, the inspection fee is very reasonable comparing with other suppliers.

Thanks Debra.I was happy to help you with the inspection. I think that will be a nice house for you. If I can help in the future, please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

Shane Lawrence in Newmarket
Shane Lawrence in Newmarket
2 reviews Newmarket, ON

Complete home and shop inspection

Very Happy with the service and professional advice I got from my very detailed and extensive home inspection. Shawn is absolutely great in everyway.
I will use him in the future should I ever buy another property ! A+++++

Hi Shane, I happy to help with the home inspection. I am thrilled to hear you were pleased with the service. If I can help in the future, please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

C in Toronto
C in Toronto
2 reviews Newmarket, ON

Home inspection

I was very pleased with Shawn sharp eyes for code deficiencies, his patience and pleasant manner of clearly answering all my questions. He was very professional and thorough in attention to details. He even took the the time to help me with the complicated Tarion warranty process.
I would most certainly recommend him to family and friends and intend to use his services again.
Christian

Christian, I was happy to help with your Tarion New Home Warranty Inspection. If you or the builder has any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

Pre Purchase Home inspection

Shawn showed up on time and inspected the house very thoroughly. He discovered a recent fix in the basement which was not informed by the seller, as well as other minor issues. He even went up the roof to check it.

We will hire him in the future.

Thanks, Fede

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I really appreciate it! Let me know if you have any questions about your home or if I can be of service in the future. Best. Shawn

Michael in Newmarket
Michael in Newmarket
1 review Newmarket, ON

New construction inspection

We needed help with the inspection of a newly constructed home. There are so many areas to look for and we couldn’t trust that the builder hadn’t covered over deficiencies. We also needed to ensure the builder complied with all the building code requirements. Shawn knew what was required and communicated well with all concerned.

Hi Michael, I was happy to help with your Inspection. Let me know if I can be of service in the future. Best. Shawn

Amir in Newmarket
Amir in Newmarket
1 review Newmarket, ON

Pre-purchase home inspection

Shawn was indeed a professional inspector. He was very responsive and timely to any questions even after hours. The inspection report was very comprehensive and detailed. I certainly recommend him.

Hi Amir, I was happy to help with your home inspection. If I can be of any service in the future of if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

More about Clarified Home Inspections

Clarified Home Inspections provides comprehensive inspections of residential and commercial properties.

Inspections are performed by a licensed Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) and a Registered Home Inspector (RHI) with the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors.

Services Offered:
- Pre-Purchase Inspections
- Pre-Listing Inspections
- Building Maintenance Inspections
- Tarion New Home Warranty Inspections (PDI, 30 Day, 1yr, 2yr, 7yr)
- Commercial Building Inspections
- WETT Inspections
- Thermal Imaging Inspections (Thermography)