Clarified Home Inspections

Best of 2019 winner 2 timesBest of 2019winner 2 times

Reviews for Clarified Home Inspections

GrantK in Toronto
GrantK in Toronto

Home inspection with an issue

I am going to try to be as balanced as I can here, and I have made these comments to Shawn by phone.
On the positive side, Shawn was great to deal with, very personable, arrived before we did and was already on the roof when we got there.
The walk through was thorough overall, and the report was easy to read with lots of pictures and tips.
Where things went offside was when Shawn was reluctant to open the access panel to the jacuzzi tub as he was concerned about damaging the paint. Our agent and I weren't willing to give him permission to proceed, so it was left unopened.
Subsequent to moving in, and using the tub, we found water had leaked (we could see this from the ceiling immediately below). In order to attempt to assess the situation, I decided to open the access panel and found it came off with very gentle pressure. Once open, mold was easily seen and we immediately called someone to assist us.
Their assessment was that the issue had been ongoing for sometime, and they could see not just mold but what appeared to be fungus.
We had intended to replace the tub with a walk-in shower, which I did tell Shawn, but this forced us to have to do so much sooner than anticipated, and added approximately $1,000 of costs to remediate the issue.
Ultimately my issue is the failure of imagination on Shawn's part - whether we were going to replace the tub or not is irrelevant. As my wife said, he should have suggested we seek permission from the seller or the seller's agent to open the panel rather than balk at the risk of damaging the paint. I am not the home inspector, he is, and I shouldn't be expected to know what's important to look at.
I will note that these comments have the benefit of hindsight, but considering that water is one of the worst enemies of a home, I don't feel they are unreasonable.

Hi Grant, I am sorry to hear that you had problems with water leakage around your bathtub after taking possession of the house.
The home inspection process is, of course, an exercise in risk reduction, however it cannot eliminate all risk of future problems, as many areas of the house are obscured, concealed or otherwise inaccessible to the inspector.

As you had mentioned, the stuck access hatch under the bathtub was not opened during the inspection due my assessment, based on previous experiences in similar situations, that trying to do so could cause damage to the drywall or wall paint. As neither you, your real estate agent or I own the house, we do not have permission to undertake a potentially damaging activity. Any inspection damage caused to the Seller’s home would have been at my cost to fix. As a guest in someone else’s home I must often make judgement calls about what risks to the property are warranted to investigate concealed or difficult to reach areas based on other visual clues, symptoms and potential for problems.

At the time of the inspection, the bathtub & tiled shower enclosure in that bathroom showed no significant deterioration. Visual examination, thermal imaging and moisture measurements taken on the 1st floor ceiling below the bathroom showed no active water leakage and no staining or discoloration which would have indicated a history of problems.

As you mentioned, at the time of the inspection, you had indicated that you were planning a near-term complete reno of that bathroom to meet your family’s needs and this further mitigated the need of taking the risk of damage to remove the wall panel to look under a tub which was coming out anyway. I did not anticipate any problems which would significantly affect your reno given the lack of other symptoms.

When we spoke on the phone, I wish you had taken me up on my offer of coming back to the house to evaluate the condition under the tub after you had taken possession of the house. I may have been able to offer you some practical short-term solutions to extend the life the current installation. These solutions may have better suited your desired reno timeline, as compared to the advice provided by a renovation contractor.

Again, I am sorry to hear you had a problem and I understand your frustration and review.

If I can help with any questions about the house in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Shawn

Debra in Toronto
Debra in Toronto

Home Inspection

Shawn is a very professional, patient and experienced inspector. The inspection was done under a very detail procedure. I received a thorough inspection report, combined with not only the current defects of the property, but also with the potential risks. In addition, Shawn gave me very professional and sincere advice on how to fix the current defects of the property, and the potential costs. The advice was very helpful for me on negotiating the price with the seller. Shawn also helped me on the second time inspection after the defects was fixed by the seller. I really appreciate Shawn's hard work and professional advice. Last but not least, the inspection fee is very reasonable comparing with other suppliers.

Thanks Debra.I was happy to help you with the inspection. I think that will be a nice house for you. If I can help in the future, please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

Shane Lawrence in Newmarket
Shane Lawrence in Newmarket
2 reviews Newmarket, ON

Complete home and shop inspection

Very Happy with the service and professional advice I got from my very detailed and extensive home inspection. Shawn is absolutely great in everyway.
I will use him in the future should I ever buy another property ! A+++++

Hi Shane, I happy to help with the home inspection. I am thrilled to hear you were pleased with the service. If I can help in the future, please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

C in Toronto
C in Toronto
2 reviews Newmarket, ON

Home inspection

I was very pleased with Shawn sharp eyes for code deficiencies, his patience and pleasant manner of clearly answering all my questions. He was very professional and thorough in attention to details. He even took the the time to help me with the complicated Tarion warranty process.
I would most certainly recommend him to family and friends and intend to use his services again.
Christian

Christian, I was happy to help with your Tarion New Home Warranty Inspection. If you or the builder has any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

Pre Purchase Home inspection

Shawn showed up on time and inspected the house very thoroughly. He discovered a recent fix in the basement which was not informed by the seller, as well as other minor issues. He even went up the roof to check it.

We will hire him in the future.

Thanks, Fede

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I really appreciate it! Let me know if you have any questions about your home or if I can be of service in the future. Best. Shawn

Michael in Newmarket
Michael in Newmarket

New construction inspection

We needed help with the inspection of a newly constructed home. There are so many areas to look for and we couldn’t trust that the builder hadn’t covered over deficiencies. We also needed to ensure the builder complied with all the building code requirements. Shawn knew what was required and communicated well with all concerned.

Hi Michael, I was happy to help with your Inspection. Let me know if I can be of service in the future. Best. Shawn

Amir in Newmarket
Amir in Newmarket

Pre-purchase home inspection

Shawn was indeed a professional inspector. He was very responsive and timely to any questions even after hours. The inspection report was very comprehensive and detailed. I certainly recommend him.

Hi Amir, I was happy to help with your home inspection. If I can be of any service in the future of if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

Brooke  in Newmarket
Brooke in Newmarket

Home Inspection

Just amazing! So detail oriented and thorough. He answered all questions with great knowledge and to the point, no sugar coating and no half truths. He was nice, professional and the report! So detailed, with pictures and recommendations for repair. Truly above and beyond and saves us tens of thousands because we did not buy the home. Best $500+ I ever spent. Thank So Shawn!

Hi Brooke!, I was wondering what you had decided to do and I think you made a sound decision. I am happy my service helped steer you in the direction that was right for you. If I can help you again, please do not hesitate to call. Best. Shawn

home inspection

Shawn was very respectful, detailed and thorough. He tried to check all the important parts of the house. even the trivial things he checked and gives you advice on how to maintain and repair and what needs to be done.very patient as well with clients to explain the findings.the report was also very detailed complete with photos and diagram to clearly explain his finding.

Hi, thank you for the great review. I was happy to help with your inspection. If I can help in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

Pam Prowse from King City
Pam Prowse from King City
6 reviews Georgina, ON

30 day inspection of new home

Shawn completed a new home inspection for us, consistent with the 30 day inspection form required by Tarion. He arrived on time, completed a very thorough inspection, answered all of our questions, made helpful suggestions and provided a comprehensive report the next day which became part of our Tarion record. Shawn was recommended to us by a neighbour and we wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to anyone requiring a home inspection by a competent professional at competitive rates. Highly recommend!!

Hi Pam, I was happy to help you. Thank-you for the referrals to your neighbors as well. I really appreciate it. If I can be of further service, please do not hesitate to ask. Best. Shawn

More about Clarified Home Inspections

Clarified Home Inspections provides comprehensive inspections of residential and commercial properties.

Inspections are performed by a licensed Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) and a Registered Home Inspector (RHI) with the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors.

Services Offered:
- Pre-Purchase Inspections
- Pre-Listing Inspections
- Building Maintenance Inspections
- Tarion New Home Warranty Inspections (PDI, 30 Day, 1yr, 2yr, 7yr)
- Commercial Building Inspections
- WETT Inspections
- Thermal Imaging Inspections (Thermography)