Strokes Of Genius Painting

Reviews for Strokes Of Genius Painting

Kerry in Ottawa
Kerry in Ottawa

Interior Painting + Carpentry Services

Strokes of Genius was recommended to us years ago as we were moving into a large home and needed multiple rooms and areas painted. We were so pleased with the quality of the work, and caliber of service that Dan and his team provided that we have invited them back yearly for additional work. Most recently, Strokes of Genius completed a nursery and child's bedroom with multiple colours of paint, tape-lines and the installation of chair rails.
Dan is personable, has excellent communication, and competitive prices and his workers are always polite, punctual and considerate in our home. Special thanks to the work Brad just completed in my son's room--we are so pleased!

We will continue to use Strokes of Genius and recommend them to friends and family. Thanks!

Thank you very much Kerry.

Leigh in Ottawa
Leigh in Ottawa

Interior house painting

sog logo square avatar w homestars merged.jpg Strokes Of Genius Painting
613.697.4711
1155 Lola St, Unit 8
Ottawa
K1k4c1

We used Daniel's painters for an entire house painting project when we moved into our last house. His painters were excellent, provided meticulous work and cleaned up at the end of every day. I called for several quotes and Stokes of Genius was by far the best deal. We just moved again and called Daniel for some touch up work around the house. He got us in for a quote right away (and over the holidays) and had painters lined up for the new year. His painter, Connor, went above and beyond for us. Highly recommend Daniel and Strokes of Genius... you won't be disappointed!!!

Thank you very much Leigh.

Sheila in Ottawa
Sheila in Ottawa

Bedroom level of home

I had used SOG about 2 years ago to paint my living room and was pleased with the job... so I called them again to finish painting of other rooms in my house. My second experience has been extremely disappointing. The paint job was fine, however, the crew had left deep dents and scratches in my hardwood floor when moving my bed - obvious as it was in the direction to where they moved it. I sent an email to the owner, Daniel, (no reply); about 5 days later, I sent another email (no reply again). I left a phone message about 2 days later (no reply yet again!). Not even a courtesy response to acknowledge my messages, and all that after he insisted that I pay a progress payment pending completion of second job. Very POOR client service!!

James in Ottawa
James in Ottawa
1 review Ottawa, ON

Refuses to communicate or provide final invoice

I chose SOG 3 years ago to paint my condo and was very happy with the work and price. When I moved out I hired them again to paint it back to neutral. I couldn't have had a worse experience. First they put the paint date in the wrong calendar spot so it wasn't painted on time. I just had the place cleaned. I told them I expected it left as they found it. I came back to a disaster. Dust everywhere (floors and counters). None of the touch ups done. Paint in the sinks. The stove unplugged and white smeared over the oven door and areas on the walls missed. Needless to say after a lot of unneeded delays (I live 2min from the location) I was never allowed to inspect before the left which kept adding a day before I could see it with the owner of SOG, Daniel, and then when problems were found they would have to add another day or two to get someone back so it just dragged out the process needlessly. I had paid 30-40% down. I eventually got them to clean the place and get the work finished to my satisfaction a week later. I promptly paid the remainder and was told I would get an invoice. That never happened. I texted Daniel and he said he'd send it that night. A week went by and no invoice and he's not returning calls, text or email. I will be contacting the BBB. I'm so terribly disappointed by such un professional behaviour in a Riches to Rags story. How the mighty have fallen. Sad. Very sad. :(

Jude in Ottawa
Jude in Ottawa

Complete Main level including stairways

We contracted Strokes of Genius to paint the interior main level of our home largely due to their excellent ratings and reviews on Homestars. Overall, we were very pleased with the quality of the work and attention to detail and repairing drywall nail pops and other imperfections. David, Rob and Kevin were also completely responsive to all our requests. The initial touch up was also completed as per scheduled and followup work for painting the exterior doors in early summer and touch up work was completed by Emma and Connor who were completely receptive to the identified tasks.
Overall Excellent customer service quality work; very responsive to all your requirements during the job.

Thank you very much Jude.

Joan from Ottawa
Joan from Ottawa

Interior house painting

I chose Strokes of Genius to paint most of the interior of my home largely due to their excellent ratings and reviews on Homestars. Overall, I was very pleased. David and his team paid a lot of attention to detail. They took extra care to scrape, sand and caulk windowsills and baseboards so they look better than they ever have. David also noticed a “soft” area of the plaster on the living room wall which he repaired. The bathroom was the last room worked on and it didn’t seem to have received the same level of care as the rest of the house, which was pointed out during the walk-through with Daniel and it got attended to the next day. All in all, a very positive experience. I’ve knocked the rating down a bit for two reasons. First is lack of communication. After signing the contract and prior to the start of the job, I had a few questions for Daniel – the first was to ask about expanding the scope of work to include the cabinetry in the bathroom. It took 3 weeks (and a follow up e-mail) to get a response. I also asked him twice to let me know when I needed to confirm my paint colour choices. I never did get a response to that, so I sent along my list of choices. It turned out there was some minor confusion because I thought I had to specify what white paint to use for the ceilings and trim. Daniel thought I included the white paint selection on my list for use in one specific room. It wasn’t a big deal, but a two-minute phone call to review the paint selections would have prevented the mix-up and avoided some extra time and work for the painters. During the walk-through with Daniel we identified a few things that needed to be fixed up. He made a list and took photos and said he’d send it on. When the painter came the next morning, he hadn’t received the information and didn’t know what he was there to do so it was up to me to go over it again. So all in all – not great in terms of communications. The second part of the service that I wouldn't rate highly was clean-up. It’s possible I had unrealistic expectations on that one – I had assumed that they’d do a quick pass with the vacuum and broom at the end of the job since there were lots of flakes, chips, dust and dirt throughout the house. I mentioned this to Daniel during the walk-through and in fairness he offered to have someone do a bit of vacuuming the next day, but since I was putting the furniture back in place that night I didn't want to wait and elected to do it myself. Despite these issues, I’m very happy with the final results and David and his painting team were friendly and professional.

Thank you for your review Joan.

YSK, Ottawa Ontario Canada
YSK, Ottawa Ontario Canada

Painting Kitchen cabinets

sog logo square avatar w homestars merged.jpg Strokes Of Genius Painting
613.697.4711
1155 Lola St, Unit 8
Ottawa
K1k4c1

We hired Strokes of Genius to paint our kitchen cabinets in April 2013. Daniel was very prompt in returning our call and he and David were on time for an appointment to go over the details of our job. They seemed personable and professional and we felt comfortable in hiring this company as it had great reviews on HomeStars. However, there were several delays in getting the job started due to David’s illness. We accepted this and finally the job was mostly complete a few months later (actually, much later than anticipated). We gave them the final cheque at this point with the understanding that they needed to do some touch-ups -- this was a big mistake! David finally returned after several calls to “touch up” but unfortunately two cabinet doors required sanding and respraying as the paint was chipping. The doors were returned in December 2014 (after several calls) and to our dismay, they had not been refinished. Although the quality of work was mainly excellent, we are most disappointed in the lack of follow-up by Daniel. Daniel never came to inspect the job (as stated in the contract) and the 3-year warranty is almost up. We have sent several emails and tried calling, to no avail. We have never had cause to write a negative review before but this experience has left a very bitter taste in our mouths. Sadly, we are unable to recommend Strokes of Genius because of a total lack of communication to arrange for final touch-ups or to explain what was going on. We look forward to finally hearing from Daniel.

Thank you YSK for your review.

YAN  in Ottawa
YAN in Ottawa

Paint the apartment

The work is acceptable, paint is nice. Overall, quality of work is okay but need to improve services. There were couple of times, It was late for the appointment, and once did not show up due to sick. I wish I had known much in advance. For other people it may not been an issue, however, I don't live there and had to driver to the apartment every time. Also, I was informed that my receipt would be sent out on Saturday however, with delay I got it until Monday. important to the business success. I do not mind to wait however, is not going to send or at least give me a date of the receipt. Also, Daniel is not very disorganized, he is always late. We set up the first appointment on Sunday at 11:30, however, he did not let me know in advance that he can not make it. I drove to the place earlier and called him at 10:45 am to confirm, and he told me he could not make it, why he can not just let me know earlier? I actually had to drive 30 minutes to get there. Second time, he was late for 15 minutes, and I was late for my work. Third time, he was late for 30 minutes, I had to wait outside in the cold weather. I am not very happy about the services at all. Again, if you can not make it, you need to let me know in advance, I am busy too, and I do not prefer to wait. Also, if you said you will send to me then do it, if not, please provide a date of sending to me, no replies is not really nice.

Review has 1 previous version

Thank you Yan.

Private User reviews Vancouver, BC

Details we missed

We hired SOG to paint our home. Upon initial inspection we felt they did a fairly good job but there were some issues. They did not paint the full way around the air intake registers (leaving the old paint clearly visible), they got a significant amount of paint splatter on our tile and hardwood floors, and even painted over some of our light switched. We pointed this out during the walk through after it was all done, and although we were reassured they would come back to fix these issues they never did.

I would have rated this business a 10 had they followed through to finish the job properly, but the fact that they never did leaves me wondering how much you can trust them.

Moral of the story, withhold payment until the whole job is done correctly.

Thank you for taking the time to review our services, we appreciate the feedback both positive and negative. As you have elected to use the Anonymous User option, I am not sure which project this was, but I do apologize if we committed to come back for touch ups and somehow got our wires crossed. I can guarantee you it was not on purpose, and we do have a three-year warranty in place on all of our work, which includes returning to take care of small items that might've been missed (we try to be as careful as possible, but especially on larger projects there might be a couple items to address after the crew has finished, and we always come back.) If you would kindly send me a quick email at daniel@strokesofgenius.ca or call my cell 6136974711 to let me know the details of the project, I will happily send One of our staff back this week to address any outstanding issues, or make up for the shortcomings you listed in another way.

Sincerely,

Daniel Smith
Owner

Diane & Rene in Kanata
Diane & Rene in Kanata

Interior House Painting

I hired Strokes of Genius Painting to paint the living/dining rooms, loft, foyer and hallways including all doors and trim of our new home. The ceilings in the foyer and living room area are 18 feet high and needed 2 coats of paint. The trim was a darkish grey colour and needed 4 coats (more about that later). I chose this company after obtaining three quotes. The reviews on this site led me to contact this company in the first place. Their price was the lowest of the three quotes and the paint they quoted to do the job with was Benjamin Moore Aura. A high quality paint. This was important to us. David, Rob and the others did a good job, were friendly and professional. There was a massive snow storm day one which understandably delayed the work a little so they put more painters on site day 3 and had up to 6 people on the job at one time. Day 4 had 5 people painting. It was realized on Day 4 that more than the quoted 3 coats would be needed to cover the dark trim. Daniel, the owner of Strokes of Genius, offered to have the 4th coat completed at his cost. He wanted the resulting paint job to look good. We quickly agreed to this. The walls, ceiling and trim all look fantastic. The floors were vacuumed and all paint drips were cleaned up. If we get the rest of our house painted we will definitely hire Strokes of Genius Panting to do the job.

Thank you Diane & Rene.

More about Strokes Of Genius Painting

Everyone in Ottawa is in a rush to complete a house painting project... But nobody wants a rushed paint job.

THAT'S WHERE WE COME IN!

As Ottawa's Premier Short-Notice and Quick-Booking Interior and Exterior House Painters, we at Strokes of Genius Painting pride ourselves on delivering quality, guaranteed work at a reasonable price... AND in a reasonable timeframe!

The conventional wisdom holds that if you want a painting project done, you either have to pay exorbitant rates to a professional painting contractor and wait months and months until they can fit you in,  or you pay a fly-by-night painter to do a rush job if you can't afford the cost or the wait...

But what if you could get professional painting, AND have it done on your schedule?

At Strokes of Genius Painting, we challenge the conventional wisdom to give you the best of both worlds.

Because we only hire the most experienced, courteous and polite painters, when you book with us you can be sure of the quality of our workmanship. In fact, we're so confident in our work that we guarantee it against any failures for 3 Years.

But because of our unique staffing strategy, we can offer a quality paint job at an affordable price AND work with your schedule to complete your painting project efficiently!

---

Are you planning a larger project, with flooring, fine carpentry, kitchen, bathroom or other renovations? Check out our well-reviewed and Award-Winning renovations division Right Angle Renovations too: http://homestars.com/companies/2811854-right-angle-renovations