K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

Best of 2017 winnerBest of 2017winner

Reviews for K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

Amanda in Toronto
Amanda in Toronto

Engineering drawings & permit approval for home renovation

Mike did a fantastic job preparing the engineering drawings for our main floor and basement renovation. We're having extensive work done in our basement, including underpinning, structural beam work, and new walk out. Not only did Mike provide a sound engineering plan for our basement, he also worked with us to create a new basement floor plan that suits our family needs and maximizes every single square foot of our urban small basement. As for the City permit approvals, Mike over delivered in every way! He was able to get the permits approved in one day, including approval for the contentious new windows for our living room. Overall, we're extremely happy with K H Davis. Mike is great to work with, is attentive and goes above and beyond to help his clients. We highly recommend K H Davis.

Thanks Amanda,
Yes, Mike is very customer service oriented and we get great feedback from his clients. We're not perfect but we all try our best. I'm really glad you were pleased with Mike and his team. Don't hesitate to reach out to Mike or to any of our engineering or architectural design staff again if you need further assistance!

gail handley from Toronto
gail handley from Toronto

Site Report, Installation of a cranked beam, and rebuilding staircases

My previous contractor made a critical error; rather than call in a structural engineer when needed, he followed his own instincts putting the integrity of the staircases in my 3 story house at risk. When it became apparent that the stairs/landings had become significantly out-of-level, I went to homestars.com for help. I found that Mr. K H Davis, a structural engineer who specialized in old homes like mine, had the best ratings and reviews, and booked an onsite consultation.

It was apparent from the start that Ken was an expert. Following a long and informative onsite visit, he provided a very detailed and helpful report including his recommendation to give it some time to see if it stabilized or got worse. When the stairs/landings continued to shift, I contacted Ken again hoping to hire his company to fix it. Ken took the time to further analyze the problem and explain exactly what was needed to stabilize the structure, but then suggested I find someone else because their schedule was full and they wouldn't be able to get to it for months. So, I got other estimates to put in a “cranked beam” and build two new staircases. When the new contractor repeatedly failed to show up, I called Ken again, almost begged him to do the work, and he finally agreed. Although H K Davis is by no means a bargain operation, his quote for the work was about two thirds of what the other guy wanted to charge.

Ken then had an idea that would save me even more money. Rather than build two new staircases, he suggested trying to rebuild the old ones using the original stairs as much as possible because they were oak with a lovely patina. It was, as he put it, “a labor of love.” While I was prepared to pay between $25,000 - $30,000 for the cranked beam and new staircases, in the end it cost only $17,000.

Unfortunately, while my project was underway, Ken injured his back and was temporarily incapacitated. Yet, things proceeded nicely throughout the project because Ken appears to have the talent for hiring excellent staff. I’d like to take a moment here to mention that project manager Luis was amazing. He was on site daily making sure that I was happy with each detail — and there were many details! While’s he’s clearly very knowledgeable and professional, his full commitment to the project was apparent from the start. In fact, on at least two occasions I text messaged him on a weekend night and he answered both texts that same night. He wanted to take care of whatever I was concerned about so that I wouldn’t worry about it over the weekend. I think that’s pretty rare.

There were, however, a few times when I wanted Ken onsite to help work through a particularly complicated problem. He never failed to show up, and,despite his obvious back pain, Ken maintained full focus while finding creative solutions to some of the more quirky problems.

My stairs are now level, safe, and look beautiful. I also find it a comfort knowing that this structural issue has been properly corrected, and enthusiastically recommend K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd without reservation.

Anna T.
Anna T.

Kitchen and Bathroom Renovation

KH Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd. were quick in their response to my enquiry, an appointment was made in a very reasonable amount of time to attend and provide a site inspection. The report that I received and the follow up after the site visit was both thorough and efficient. This company has a real grasp on communicating with their clients and ask all the right questions all the while providing a response to each of the clients concerns. I would definitely recommend KH Davis Engineering to anyone that I know.

Thanks for your kind words Anna !

Private User reviews Whitby, ON

Permits for multiple renovations to an older home.

After a slow start and many delays with another firm, I contacted K H Davis Engineering to do drawings and submit applications for several renovation permits from the City of Toronto. Mike answered the phone and promised permits within 3-4 weeks and he made that happen. They also submitted a HVAC design from another company on our behalf. We are very pleased with the outcome, would highly recommend K H Davis Engineering, and will use their services again. THANKS!

Glad that we were able to get you the results that you needed ! It's true that the overall process can be complex and we often find that firms that don't specialize in houses sometimes miss things or or don't focus enough attention on small projects.
Houses are our speciality, and almost all of our projects are on old Toronto homes, so usually we get it right !
Thanks again for your kind review.

PeterGWall
PeterGWall

Drawings and plans for house renovation

I contacted KH Davis after finding them through a google search. We are removing some of the walls on the ground floor of our house, and didn't want to pay the high fees of an architect / design firm. Luis and Mike at KH Davis were super helpful - they sent someone to the house to make the drawings, and then after a few emails and phone calls produced the necessary plans. We also hired them to submit the plans to the city, and they got our construction permit super fast. I would highly recommend them.

Thanks Peter !
Yes, removing load-bearing walls and designing the new structural supports the most common design that we do in our office...everyone is looking for a modern open concept, especially in kitchen areas of older homes.
Glad it worked out well!

Brett from Toronto
Brett from Toronto

Detached Garage Design and Permit Application

I had a custom design for an L-shaped detached garage and home workshop with an integrated pergola over the adjacent ground. Mike from K. H. Davis helped take my design idea to fully specified engineering drawings and an approved building permit. His guidance was invaluable when dealing with the planning department and zoning issues, as well as our decision to proceed with an application for a minor variance to stay true to our initial design vision. We're very happy with the resulting plans from K. H. Davis and now look forward to commencing the construction.

Thanks Brett!
Yes, variances can be a bit of a pain ! Often designers forget that a proposed addition to a home may contravene local zoning by-laws and require a variance in order to get approval...so its not just about Building Code compliance ! Mike does lots of Committee of Adjustment applications and can attend the Committee hearing on behalf of our clients who are seeking a variance.
Gald Mike got everything sorted out for you !

Basement underpinning and addition

On the advice of our contractor we engaged Mike and his team at KH Davis. Mike is a very easy person to work with and was very prompt to reply to our questions. He and his team were thorough and worked great with our architect to ensure the integrity of the design was structurally feasible. Mike was also very quick to ensure our permits were processed ahead of the potential city strike.

Glad to hear that all worked out well !
Yes, we often work with our client's architect or designer to get plans approved by the City. We specialise in structural engineering for houses and often we will supplement the design of "others" to get plans through the permit process.

george in Toronto
george in Toronto

House addition at North Riverdale

Ken Davies and Mike Shirzadfar have been very methodical and helpful in both the engineering, permitting and committee processes. The Firm is professional and prompt in every stage of my project.
At some stages of the project we needed to make revisions to the structure in order to save space and money. Mike and Ken reacted promptly to these revisions and really made a difference to the project and tradesmen.

Thanks George.
We pride ourselves in knowing the nuts and bolts of house construction quite well indeed and our best compliment is when the tradespeople appreciate our input on site.
Regards,

danforthhomeowner in Toronto
danforthhomeowner in Toronto

Site evaluation

Ken came over to evaluate our house for future renovations. We found Ken to be a very nice personable guy. He had few comments about the renovations we wanted to do. He seemed more interested if we were going in lower our basement depth. At the end of the consultation he asked for full payment by way of credit card through a software payment system on his phone and promised a detailed report in two weeks. Three weeks went by and we gave him a call and sent him an email when we were going to receive our report. One month goes by and no response. We called him three future times and 5 weeks later he promises to send us a report within 48 hours. Another week goes by and nothing. I send him an email terminating his services and we ask for a refund. Magically we receive the report. For a $600 report I could have written it. It's very light on specifics and probably do to the length of time he had forgotten many of the renovation questions we had asked him. My advice is don't use his services. If you do, do not pay in full until you have received your services in full.

Hi danforthhomeowner:

I sincerely apologize for the long delay in getting to your follow-up report. I suffered a back injury on Nov 1 2015 (several weeks ago) and I am presently behind on several project reports, all of which I hope to have wrapped up before Christmas. I assume your file is among those which i am behind on...I'm sorry but I have not received you request for a refund...we have no problem doing so since obviously you were not satisfied with our service. Please let me know who your are so that I can respond to your directly since i can't identify you by your homestars name danforthhomeowner. I can also come out to provide an additional consultation at no extra cost to resolve your dissatisfaction with our first consultation if you wish.

I don't know what you mean about our being mostly interested in whether or not you plan to lower the basement and from reading between the lines i'm wondering if you felt that we were somehow trying to direct you in a specific way...that is certainly not the case and we try to advise our clients to the very best of our ability. Our sister construction company operates quite independently and it would be unethical for us to advise you in a manner which was not impartial. Whenever any remedial work is recommended, we always advise that, if you are thinking of using our sister construction company, that you obtain quotes from other companies as well. We don't want there to be any perceived conflict of interest between our consulting services and our sister company that provides construction services.

Also know that the site consultation service was completed for you when we did our site visit - that is what you were paying us for. Our follow up report on the consultation itself is to serve as a follow-up for record purposes. Also note that we do not normally provide any specific design services in our reports...site reports are meant to be a summary of our consultation, to document what we said during our visit so as to help you understand the nature of problems that you may be having with the structure of your home, and in general, to describe what you will need to do to solve the problems. The report is not a substitute for a detailed design service which is completely separate thing, and all of this is describe in much detail on our website.

I hope that this helps to some extent and I again apologize for your frustrations in trying to get hold of me over the past few weeks. We are happy to either refund the cost of our site consultation or alternatively, meet with you again to make sure that you are 100% satisfied with our reporting to you.

Chris/Tim from Toronto
Chris/Tim from Toronto

Whole house Renovation, Addition and Garage

We engaged K. H. Davis on the advice of a local contractor and met Mike to help us with our renovations. We gutted a 3 story detached house and wanted to open up the main floor, add a 2 story addition to the back and a new 2 car garage, plus the addition of several bathrooms, new staircase openings, dormers, window openings etc.. Mike was easy to deal with from the get go and it is clear the office is set up to advise us in the best ways possible. Mike was willing to make revisions quickly and is clearly informed on the best way to deal with them as to not hold up a timeline.
We have done several large renovations like this in the past and have finally found a team we look forward to working with in the future.

Thanks very much for your kind review. We try our best to meet our client's expectations and it sounds like Mike did just that. I'm sometimes hard to get hold of, but you can speak to any of our 5 Engineers/Technologists in the office if you need immediate help with an existing or new project.
Best regards,

More about K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd are Toronto based Structural Engineers and Home Designers specializing in Houses - Watch for us on HGTV Income Property, Leave it to Bryan, Disaster DIY. We provide structural engineering services to homeowners, architects and builders. KH Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd prepares building permit plans for renovation and additions to all types of houses, removing bearing walls, basement lowering, fixing problems in older homes, expert witness testimony and advocacy for homeowners dealing with construction problems. Members of Professional Engineers of Ontario and BILD.
Structural Related Construction Services also offered through our sister company K H Davis Construction Ltd. If you need a structural engineer, please contact us today!