HomeStars  >  Structural Engineering in Toronto  >  K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

Reviews for K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

JoQ in Toronto

After being strung along by our previous contractor we contacted another underpinning company for a quote and they referred us to Mike at KH Davis for the structural drawing for permitting. He rushed the job for us to fit the new underpinning company schedule. He was quick, easy to get ahold of, filed the permits once the drawings were complete and within a month of first contact we have everything we need from the city and are digging out our basement! Thanks Mike!

Thanks and glad that we were able to make everything work out

Site visit, drawings and building permit (no variance required) came in with no delays. Mike S. is a pleasure to work with, polite, checks in and keeps us informed each step of the way. I have every confidence in Mike being a good interface with the building inspector.

Vlad

I paid for a site visit to assess a load bearing wall removal.

What I liked:

The engineer arrived on time. We spent over an hour talking about different parts of the house. I had lots of follow-up questions, and altogether he spent over an hour on the phone with me on more than one occasion. He answered all my questions. Because of our detailed discussions, the 2-page report contained all the details I needed. In the end, I feel I got good value for my money.

What can be improved:

I've never hired an engineer before. I was expecting the inspection to be more thorough. I hired them to confirm things 100%, but unless the ceiling beams are exposed or someone climbed into the attic, he could only guess. I was informed only at the visit that engineers typically don't go into attics. The process should have been clarified at booking, so me and the engineer could make the most of it.

In my case, the structure later turned out to be very different than what we expected. I was lucky to have an experienced contractor in my home later to climb in the attic and provide concrete solutions. The final solution I received from my contractor was more practical. I wished the engineer provided the ultimate solution. That said, the engineer was available at the office to receive my updates, and I am very satisfied with the service and the final report and approval of the plan. He consistently came across as friendly and helpful on the phone.

Glad to hear that you were satisfied with our service.

The team at KH went above and beyond to help me out with a rather challenging issue with the City of Toronto. You expertise and knowledge of the system really set us up for success with our underpinning project!

Thanks again for the great skill and service!

It was our pleasure to help.

[email protected]
M4K 2M2

The team from KH Davis was excellent and instrumental with not only our design plans, but in navigating the bureaucratic hurdles we confronted with our project. We live on a property under the purview of the TRCA and had not imagined the difficulties we would be confronted with in getting this project from vision to reality. But, Mike S and the whole team from KH Davis lent assistance time and again to keep the project moving forward. Many thanks from our whole family!

Thanks for your kind words!

Audrie from South Woodbridge

We went through the full process with KH Davis with Kevin providing the structural eng consult late fall to working with Luis, projrct manager, to get the city permit for the underpinning and the underpinning itself. Our work required coordination with disconnecting and reconnecting Enbridge, which was a complex bureaucratic process. Luis prepared with the timing of Enbridge calls for a target start this spring. They also consulted a geotechnical engineer to ensure the reason why our front extension shifted and appropriate underpinning depth. Luis was customer focused, responsive, communicated clearly and able to manage our expectations. I highly recommend this company if you need the type of skillset they are able to offer.

Thank you Sharon for your kind review. We take pride in our work and always make sure to go the extra mile to verify work completed is done right.

It was a pleasure working with you, best of luck with the remaining renovations.

yippeehee in Toronto

I contacted K H Davis when we needed drawings for permits to move the windows in our basement. Mike from K H Davis was on time, knowledgable & professional. He knew immediately that we would not be allowed to do what we wanted, but he had a suggestion for a different plan that would work well and follow the city rules.
Mike was easy to get a hold of and returned calls and emails quickly. We got our permit within days of submitting the drawings. I would recommend K H Davis to anyone who needs drawings for
permits.

So glad to hear that Mike was able to get your project back on track.

perina in Richmond Hill

Over a year ago a dubious contractor left me in a situation where the underpinning and waterproofing system they did for my home was not up to code. With Ken Davis' engineering expertise and guidance I took on the job to correct it myself. Ken Davis also created detailed drawings to reinforce my back staircase, which was also questionable until corrected by his engineering practices. I can now say that my home has passed all standards to code and this was only possible with the experience and knowledge that Ken was able to provide. He has high standards but is very approachable. He is truly a professional, sincere and honourble person. Having met so many people in order to complete my home I have to say I did not meet anyone as honourable in the construction field. It is no wonder that so many people agree with me that he
truly scores 10 out of 10. Review by Filomena in Richmondhill

Thanks for your kind words. Glad that we got everything sorted out.

Jenifer in Toronto

I hired KH Davis to do all of my structural designs including underpining the basement and incorporating an existing enclosed porch into the house. They prepared all of my drawings based off of existing drawings I had (saved me money). They also helped walk through submitting my own drawings for the permits which was extremely helpful! They have also been very accessible for required site visits for the permit. Overall, they have provided the exact service I needed and for a fair price. I would definitely use them again and I would recommend them to a client or friend.

Glad that our services fit your needs so well ! I think that our staff of structural engineers and architectural technologists are very good at the "nuts-and-bolts" of getting building permit drawings prepared properly in accordance with the requirements of the Building Code and then getting those plans approved quickly by the City. Sometimes these things are not quite so straightforward, especially when zoning issues have to be dealt with, but we try our best to meet our client's expectations. Thanks again from our entire staff!

orafiq in Toronto

Ken is a great guy, and an excellent engineer. He took a very messy situation, in which the neighbour who's a developer was trying to push me out by using the city as a tool to put an order on me to prove my place was 'safe'. Unlike other engineers, he had the relevant experience in Toronto to understand what needed to be done and put it in an easy to understand report so that I could get the matter resolved with the city. In addition, understanding my budget he was looking for cost effective solutions that made sense, overall the best experience I could have hoped for out of a muddy mess.

Thanks for your kind words. We are glad that we were able to help get your problems resolved.

More about K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd are Toronto based Structural Engineers and Home Designers specializing in Houses - Watch for us on HGTV Income Property, Leave it to Bryan, Disaster DIY. We provide structural engineering services to homeowners, architects and builders. KH Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd prepares building permit plans for renovation and additions to all types of houses, removing bearing walls, basement lowering, fixing problems in older homes, expert witness testimony and advocacy for homeowners dealing with construction problems. Members of Professional Engineers of Ontario and BILD.
Structural Related Construction Services also offered through our sister company K H Davis Construction Ltd. If you need a structural engineer, please contact us today!

Structural Engineering, Architects, Design/Project Management, and Renovation Advisors
Design, Permit Plans, and Construction Services for: - Removing Load Bearing Walls - Basement Underpinning (lowering) Design - General Structural Engineering for all types of houses and small buildings - Structural Engineering for any type of building project - residential, commercial, industrial, institutional - but we generally don't do structural engineering for very large buildings and condominium projects - we specialize in small projects which involve some sort of structural changes to a building or a building addition. We design many new homes each year for architects and builders.
- Structural Engineering Design - Full Building Permit plans for Part 9 Buildings - Generally having 3 stories or less, and a total square footage of less than about 1800 sq. m. ( 18,000 square feet ) - Site Visits to consult on structural problems with houses - sloping floors, cracked walls, foundation settlement problems. - Advocacy for Homeowners who have run into problems with a construction project.
Our Construction group specializes in the structural aspect of house construction - this includes removing load-bearing walls and installing wood and steel beams, shear frames, underpinning basements to provide for increased headroom, stabilizing houses which have settlement problems, re-structuring homes which were not correctly designed to ensure proper structural integrity, etc.
Visa, MC, Amex, Cheque, Cash