Architects

Reviews for K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

KS in Toronto
KS in Toronto

Exterior siding & Bay Window painted

We moved into a 70+ year old home last year, and booked an appointment with the company to confirm whether there were any structural areas of concern. Jeremy provided a detailed review at the house, answering various structural questions and advising on what to look for in the future that would be a sign of structural stress. We also received the summary report with his findings a few days later for further reference. Thanks for putting our minds at ease! I'd definitely recommend KH Davis to friends and colleagues.

Really glad to hear that Jeremy was able to help you with your concerns... Jeremy joined us about 2 years ago and he has really become a key member of our team... Having now completed around 40 projects he is about to become a Licensed Professional Engineer.

Ken in Scarborough
Ken in Scarborough

Front Porch Enclosure

Originally came across KH Davis via homestars and couldn't be more fortunate that I did. Worked with Mike S on a small project to enclose my front porch. Extremely professional and organized with timely responses to any questions I had.

Great experience with other members of their team as well. On one occasion, I dropped off some drawings for their reference and what would have been a quick hello turned into a great working session with their structural engineer and architectural technologist to come up with a solution for a unique insulation situation. To me, that's the sign of an excellent team that is not hesitant in coming up with solutions any way they can. I fully recommend KH, and to me it's obvious why they're top ranked on Homestars.

Will be working with them again shortly on a bigger ground up build, looking forward to that!

Thanks very much for your flattering review. We try our best to provide our customers with good practical Engineering solutions that suit the individual needs of our clients.

antonella in Toronto
antonella in Toronto

Permit Drawings / Structural

Great experience with K.H.Davis, many issues with the city but project manager assigned to my project (Mike Shirzadfar) made navigating through it easy to understand. His patience with my asking possibly too many questions kept me calm and gave me a better understanding and prepared me for what's to come during the construction process.

definitely would reccomend and use again.

Glad to hear that you were happy with our services.

JoQ
JoQ

Underpinning drawings quick and fair price

After being strung along by our previous contractor we contacted another underpinning company for a quote and they referred us to Mike at KH Davis for the structural drawing for permitting. He rushed the job for us to fit the new underpinning company schedule. He was quick, easy to get ahold of, filed the permits once the drawings were complete and within a month of first contact we have everything we need from the city and are digging out our basement! Thanks Mike!

Thanks and glad that we were able to make everything work out

Toronto

Site visit, drawings and building permit (no variance required) came in with no delays. Mike S. is a pleasure to work with, polite, checks in and keeps us informed each step of the way. I have every confidence in Mike being a good interface with the building inspector.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Vlad
Vlad

Wall removal

I paid for a site visit to assess a load bearing wall removal.

What I liked:

The engineer arrived on time. We spent over an hour talking about different parts of the house. I had lots of follow-up questions, and altogether he spent over an hour on the phone with me on more than one occasion. He answered all my questions. Because of our detailed discussions, the 2-page report contained all the details I needed. In the end, I feel I got good value for my money.

What can be improved:

I've never hired an engineer before. I was expecting the inspection to be more thorough. I hired them to confirm things 100%, but unless the ceiling beams are exposed or someone climbed into the attic, he could only guess. I was informed only at the visit that engineers typically don't go into attics. The process should have been clarified at booking, so me and the engineer could make the most of it.

In my case, the structure later turned out to be very different than what we expected. I was lucky to have an experienced contractor in my home later to climb in the attic and provide concrete solutions. The final solution I received from my contractor was more practical. I wished the engineer provided the ultimate solution. That said, the engineer was available at the office to receive my updates, and I am very satisfied with the service and the final report and approval of the plan. He consistently came across as friendly and helpful on the phone.

Glad to hear that you were satisfied with our service.

Under Pinning

The team at KH went above and beyond to help me out with a rather challenging issue with the City of Toronto. You expertise and knowledge of the system really set us up for success with our underpinning project!

Thanks again for the great skill and service!

It was our pleasure to help.

Home Renovation Plans

mark_bilas@yahoo.ca
M4K 2M2

The team from KH Davis was excellent and instrumental with not only our design plans, but in navigating the bureaucratic hurdles we confronted with our project. We live on a property under the purview of the TRCA and had not imagined the difficulties we would be confronted with in getting this project from vision to reality. But, Mike S and the whole team from KH Davis lent assistance time and again to keep the project moving forward. Many thanks from our whole family!

Thanks for your kind words!

Audrie from South Woodbridge
Audrie from South Woodbridge

Underpinning front extension os house

We went through the full process with KH Davis with Kevin providing the structural eng consult late fall to working with Luis, projrct manager, to get the city permit for the underpinning and the underpinning itself. Our work required coordination with disconnecting and reconnecting Enbridge, which was a complex bureaucratic process. Luis prepared with the timing of Enbridge calls for a target start this spring. They also consulted a geotechnical engineer to ensure the reason why our front extension shifted and appropriate underpinning depth. Luis was customer focused, responsive, communicated clearly and able to manage our expectations. I highly recommend this company if you need the type of skillset they are able to offer.

Thank you Sharon for your kind review. We take pride in our work and always make sure to go the extra mile to verify work completed is done right.

It was a pleasure working with you, best of luck with the remaining renovations.

yippeehee in Toronto
yippeehee in Toronto

Drawings for basement windows

I contacted K H Davis when we needed drawings for permits to move the windows in our basement. Mike from K H Davis was on time, knowledgable & professional. He knew immediately that we would not be allowed to do what we wanted, but he had a suggestion for a different plan that would work well and follow the city rules.
Mike was easy to get a hold of and returned calls and emails quickly. We got our permit within days of submitting the drawings. I would recommend K H Davis to anyone who needs drawings for
permits.

So glad to hear that Mike was able to get your project back on track.

More about K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd are Toronto based Structural Engineers and Home Designers specializing in Houses - Watch for us on HGTV Income Property, Leave it to Bryan, Disaster DIY. We provide structural engineering services to homeowners, architects and builders. KH Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd prepares building permit plans for renovation and additions to all types of houses, removing bearing walls, basement lowering, fixing problems in older homes, expert witness testimony and advocacy for homeowners dealing with construction problems. Members of Professional Engineers of Ontario and BILD.
Structural Related Construction Services also offered through our sister company K H Davis Construction Ltd. If you need a structural engineer, please contact us today!

Structural Engineering, Architects, Renovation Advisors, and Design/Project Management
Design, Permit Plans, and Construction Services for: - Removing Load Bearing Walls - Basement Underpinning (lowering) Design - General Structural Engineering for all types of houses and small buildings - Structural Engineering for any type of building project - residential, commercial, industrial, institutional - but we generally don't do structural engineering for very large buildings and condominium projects - we specialize in small projects which involve some sort of structural changes to a building or a building addition. We design many new homes each year for architects and builders.
- Structural Engineering Design - Full Building Permit plans for Part 9 Buildings - Generally having 3 stories or less, and a total square footage of less than about 1800 sq. m. ( 18,000 square feet ) - Site Visits to consult on structural problems with houses - sloping floors, cracked walls, foundation settlement problems. - Advocacy for Homeowners who have run into problems with a construction project.
Joists, Beams, LVL
Our Construction group specializes in the structural aspect of house construction - this includes removing load-bearing walls and installing wood and steel beams, shear frames, underpinning basements to provide for increased headroom, stabilizing houses which have settlement problems, re-structuring homes which were not correctly designed to ensure proper structural integrity, etc.
Visa, MC, Amex, Cheque, Cash