Architects

Reviews for K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

Jared in Toronto
Jared in Toronto

Structural Renovation Consultation

After gutting our property to the joists we called Ken to review the property and ensure the joists could support the intended subfloor, drywall, and finishings, as well as the proposed cathedral ceiling with insulation and drywall.

Our experience with Ken was excellent. At the site visit, Ken gave us an overview of how best to proceed and he followed up with a detailed report.

Thanks Ken - much appreciated.

pmaranger
pmaranger

Structural engineering

The firm is terrific. Expertise and reasonable turnaround. I would highly recommend them. They were able to show which walls were structural and which were not.

Thanks very much Paul, call us if you need an engineer to review structural walls in a condo again in the future. As long as we can get hold of the base building drawings from the property management office, it is often a fairly straightforward task. See you next time!

michaelbrown4613909
michaelbrown4613909

Engineering plans and building permits for full home renovating, including basement underpinning

- consult with owners
- develop new floor plans and design
- prepare engineering plans
- obtain building permits
- manage demolition and structural construction
- meet city building inspectors and answer questions

Thanks Mike, K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd and K H Davis Construction Ltd were happy to have been of service! It was great to be able to get your permits in place and then actually build the structural framing components. All the best in your new place !

D & J in Old Toronto
D & J in Old Toronto

2nd Storey Addition

Amazing experience from start to finish. Mike was extremely professional yet friendly and accessible. No questions or concerns were left unanswered and all were expediently addressed. Mike also was great at guiding us through the process of making a dream of a renovation come to life. His drawings and ideas were innovative and truly took into consideration our needs and requirements. We would highly recommend Mike and the team at K H Davis for any home expansion or renovation. D & J

Thanks for the very kind words. It is our pleasure to be of service.

KS in Toronto
KS in Toronto

Exterior siding & Bay Window painted

We moved into a 70+ year old home last year, and booked an appointment with the company to confirm whether there were any structural areas of concern. Jeremy provided a detailed review at the house, answering various structural questions and advising on what to look for in the future that would be a sign of structural stress. We also received the summary report with his findings a few days later for further reference. Thanks for putting our minds at ease! I'd definitely recommend KH Davis to friends and colleagues.

Really glad to hear that Jeremy was able to help you with your concerns... Jeremy joined us about 2 years ago and he has really become a key member of our team... Having now completed around 40 projects he is about to become a Licensed Professional Engineer.

Ken in Scarborough
Ken in Scarborough
3 reviews Scarborough, ON

Front Porch Enclosure

Originally came across KH Davis via homestars and couldn't be more fortunate that I did. Worked with Mike S on a small project to enclose my front porch. Extremely professional and organized with timely responses to any questions I had.

Great experience with other members of their team as well. On one occasion, I dropped off some drawings for their reference and what would have been a quick hello turned into a great working session with their structural engineer and architectural technologist to come up with a solution for a unique insulation situation. To me, that's the sign of an excellent team that is not hesitant in coming up with solutions any way they can. I fully recommend KH, and to me it's obvious why they're top ranked on Homestars.

Will be working with them again shortly on a bigger ground up build, looking forward to that!

Thanks very much for your flattering review. We try our best to provide our customers with good practical Engineering solutions that suit the individual needs of our clients.

antonella in Toronto
antonella in Toronto

Permit Drawings / Structural

Great experience with K.H.Davis, many issues with the city but project manager assigned to my project (Mike Shirzadfar) made navigating through it easy to understand. His patience with my asking possibly too many questions kept me calm and gave me a better understanding and prepared me for what's to come during the construction process.

definitely would reccomend and use again.

Glad to hear that you were happy with our services.

JoQ
JoQ

Underpinning drawings quick and fair price

After being strung along by our previous contractor we contacted another underpinning company for a quote and they referred us to Mike at KH Davis for the structural drawing for permitting. He rushed the job for us to fit the new underpinning company schedule. He was quick, easy to get ahold of, filed the permits once the drawings were complete and within a month of first contact we have everything we need from the city and are digging out our basement! Thanks Mike!

Thanks and glad that we were able to make everything work out

Toronto

Site visit, drawings and building permit (no variance required) came in with no delays. Mike S. is a pleasure to work with, polite, checks in and keeps us informed each step of the way. I have every confidence in Mike being a good interface with the building inspector.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Vlad
Vlad

Wall removal

I paid for a site visit to assess a load bearing wall removal.

What I liked:

The engineer arrived on time. We spent over an hour talking about different parts of the house. I had lots of follow-up questions, and altogether he spent over an hour on the phone with me on more than one occasion. He answered all my questions. Because of our detailed discussions, the 2-page report contained all the details I needed. In the end, I feel I got good value for my money.

What can be improved:

I've never hired an engineer before. I was expecting the inspection to be more thorough. I hired them to confirm things 100%, but unless the ceiling beams are exposed or someone climbed into the attic, he could only guess. I was informed only at the visit that engineers typically don't go into attics. The process should have been clarified at booking, so me and the engineer could make the most of it.

In my case, the structure later turned out to be very different than what we expected. I was lucky to have an experienced contractor in my home later to climb in the attic and provide concrete solutions. The final solution I received from my contractor was more practical. I wished the engineer provided the ultimate solution. That said, the engineer was available at the office to receive my updates, and I am very satisfied with the service and the final report and approval of the plan. He consistently came across as friendly and helpful on the phone.

Glad to hear that you were satisfied with our service.

More about K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd

K H Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd are Toronto based Structural Engineers and Home Designers specializing in Houses - Watch for us on HGTV Income Property, Leave it to Bryan, Disaster DIY. We provide structural engineering services to homeowners, architects and builders. KH Davis Engineering Consultants Ltd prepares building permit plans for renovation and additions to all types of houses, removing bearing walls, basement lowering, fixing problems in older homes, expert witness testimony and advocacy for homeowners dealing with construction problems. Members of Professional Engineers of Ontario and BILD.
Structural Related Construction Services also offered through our sister company K H Davis Construction Ltd. If you need a structural engineer, please contact us today!

Structural Engineering, Architects, Renovation Advisors, and Design/Project Management
Design, Permit Plans, and Construction Services for: - Removing Load Bearing Walls - Basement Underpinning (lowering) Design - General Structural Engineering for all types of houses and small buildings - Structural Engineering for any type of building project - residential, commercial, industrial, institutional - but we generally don't do structural engineering for very large buildings and condominium projects - we specialize in small projects which involve some sort of structural changes to a building or a building addition. We design many new homes each year for architects and builders.
- Structural Engineering Design - Full Building Permit plans for Part 9 Buildings - Generally having 3 stories or less, and a total square footage of less than about 1800 sq. m. ( 18,000 square feet ) - Site Visits to consult on structural problems with houses - sloping floors, cracked walls, foundation settlement problems. - Advocacy for Homeowners who have run into problems with a construction project.
Joists, Beams, LVL
Our Construction group specializes in the structural aspect of house construction - this includes removing load-bearing walls and installing wood and steel beams, shear frames, underpinning basements to provide for increased headroom, stabilizing houses which have settlement problems, re-structuring homes which were not correctly designed to ensure proper structural integrity, etc.
Visa, MC, Amex, Cheque, Cash