Insulation Home Services - Comfort Insulation

Insulation
25B Bentley Avenue Ottawa ON K2E 6T7
HomeStars  >  Insulation in Nepean  >  Insulation Home Services - Comfort Insulation

Reviews for Insulation Home Services - Comfort Insulation

HomeStars in Toronto
HomeStars in Toronto
1 review Ottawa, ON

Damage to home and no response from management

In Ottawa, Comfort Insulation is the company that Costco uses for insulation services. After collecting several quotes, I chose to use this company due to the reasonable quote and prompt replies with information from John, the representative that I was dealing with. This all changed as soon as I signed the contract and handed over my cheque for the work.

When I asked how soon the work could be completed, John assured me that the company is large and deals with many large builders so they have a big crew and work could be carried out very soon. I had squired damage in my attic, so needed all the insulation removed and venting checked and replaced, both outside venting and bathroom venting should it be found that there was damage, prior to new insulation being installed. I asked John if venting damage repair was included in the quote or needed to be added on, because the quote wasn't very descriptive. He assured me that they take care of all of that and there was nothing to worry about. I had another family member there that day who also heard this confirmation.

This is when the problems began and I realized this company just deals in deceit. John told me that I would receive a phone call within two business days to set up the appointment for the removal and also to have someone come to check the vents. I didn't receive any call. I phoned back in three days to ensure that my paperwork wasn't lost and was told they needed to find a date that worked for their vent person. In the end, it took over two weeks to make an appointment, despite me not requesting the work to be done for a month after signing the contract. This is a far cry from the 'anytime that works for you' assurance John was giving me. It was only after I told John that if it wasn't booked by the end of the next day, I wanted my money returned that anything was actually done.

I booked my removal for a Friday, venting for Saturday, and reinsulation on a Monday (keeping time in between to check electrical). The woman on the phone told me it would take a day to remove, and I was booked for 8-4. At 8:30 nobody was there. I phone and was told that they don't leave the shop until 8, and would be there "sometime before 4"! When I explained that this wasn't what I was told I was basically told I was wrong and they would never say that. I was told I was the first client of the day and they should be there around 9:30-10. At 11:30 when I phoned and said nobody had come yet, I was told they were held up at a previous job. How is that possible if I was the first client of the day? In the end they didn't come until 12:30. I left a message for the manager but was told she wouldn't be in the office until Monday.

When the crew arrived I asked the first man to enter the house how he was doing, and was told "Not good, I really hate these types of jobs"! Not a great representation for the company and start to a job. I left a family member at the house and went to do errands. When I came back it was after 4:30 and dark, and they were just leaving as I came back. The house smelled like burning plastic, and my father told me they dropped a light on a plastic tarp and melted it. They also dropped debris from the attic onto the carpet below and were leaving it. After my father told them to clean this mess up they said they didn't have a vacuum and had to use mine. I then found lots of insulation on my front porch and in my garden. There was a bathroom vent hanging from my ceiling and we found a shingle off my roof under where they bring the hose in through the upstairs window to suck out the old insulation.

I told John of this damage on Saturday morning, and was just told to call the main office on Monday. Nothing would be done. It was raining and I have damage to my roof. No apologies or any help from John whatsoever. The person arrived to do the work on the vents, but we were told that he was only inspecting them and he would not be working on them as the company wasn't paying him for work. This is directly contrasting what I was told by John would be done. I purposefully ensured that the contract would include any fixing to the vents, as I knew they could be damaged by squirrels. Why would a company send someone to 'inspect' vents but not do anything about damage? This is something that must be fixed before reinsulating! The vent person said they would discuss with John and get back to me the next day. I received a phone call the following day to be told that John is insisting the vent work would not be paid for. The man told me he sympathizes but would not work for free. He felt bad enough he agreed to come that day to at least run new pipes but not do any work on the outside venting part until he received extra pay. I had to wait at home all Sunday for him to come and do this.

Monday morning comes and I leave another message with the manager Cher. So this is two messages and no reply. The men arrive and reinsulate, but I have no information on if and when they will fix the vents, or even if they protected the opening that were left while re-insulating. I have contacted Costco who assured me they would do their best to deal with this company, but at this point I have no proper bathroom venting in place and a shingle off my roof with no information on if/when this will be fixed. Management is absent and just doesn't care, and the sales representative will not assist you after taking your cheque.

Robert W.
Robert W.

Attic Insulation

We recently bought a town home in Mississauga. The attic insulation was original and had settled to less than four inches in most places. Paul Baldwin came out to inspect and shortly thereafter sent in his team to install the new insulation. They installed several baffles throughout the attic and increased our insulation to R50. Ashley and Steve were professional, quick (within 2.5hrs.) and very clean leaving little residual to clean up. I would recommend them to anyone needing insulation.

Robert, thank you for posting your review and happy to hear it was a pleasant experience. I will let the team know.

DJ Raman from Mississauga
DJ Raman from Mississauga

Insulation of our attic

Our home built in 1957 had uneven heat/cooling. We contacted Paul Baldwin through Costco. He recommended removal of the older insulation and redoing it to current code of R50. Their installers Ashley & Steve came in and worked very hard to remove the older insulation(s) and installed new baffles, height scale and installed new insulation. We could see instantaneous results of fresher air, even temperature throughout the home including basement. The Air Conditioner was also working less to maintain internal temperature. I strongly suggest people thinking about doing insulation work to remove the older insulation and but in fresh insulation of the latest type. Money well spent!.

I'm very happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with Comfort Insulation and happy with the results.

Brooke in Kingston
Brooke in Kingston
1 review Ottawa, ON

Attic Insulation

So I've learn just very recently, there is inadequate ventilation in my attic. In 2011, Comfort Insulation insulated my attic to with R50, installed 60 baffles, a vent from my bathroom fan and my attic was air sealed, but at no time did ANYONE from this company suggest the installation of additional roof vents.

I trusted their expert advice to ensure the job was done correctly. I would have gladly installed as many roof vents as needed, if I was advised. You can purchase roof vents for 60 bucks a pop, a drop in the bucket compared to my $2400 quote to fix the mold issue, I am now am stuck with. I paid almost $2000 for Comfort Insulation to do the job right, but it wasn't done right.

In addition, the mold issues have cost me the sale of my house, which was to finalized this week. I am back to square one.

I have yet to hear from anyone from management and I am concerned that my issue isn't being seriously. I will assure you, I am taking this issue very seriously.

Comfort Insulation what do you plan to do to fix this?

Suzanne in Thornhill
Suzanne in Thornhill

Attic insulation

I have an older bungalow that had very little insulation in the attic, so went through Costco to find this company. I am so pleased that I did! Jesse and Chevanu were extremely professional, pleasant, and did a fantastic job, quickly, quietly and cleanly. They answered all my questions, walked me through the process, and showed me the end result. My home is now warm and my energy bills will be much lower as well. Thank you!

Imaddaoud from Toronto
Imaddaoud from Toronto

Attic Insulation top up

My older bungalow had only a few inches of insulation that looked very compacted. After an energy auditor came to inspect my home for an energy rebate, he recommended that i top up my attic insulation.

Comfort Insulation (Insulation Home Services through Costco) came in and did the job very professionally, politely, and in a clean manner.

Jesse & Travis knew what they were doing. I was very impressed by them and the process but was really happy that i had them as a team when the energy auditor came for the follow up inspection.

The Auditor said he has been looking at homes for 15 years and this was the best job he has seen. He said the baffles were installed perfectly spaced and in the right locations, the height of the insulation meets code (+ a little more), the ruler installation and most importantly and most commonly not completed properly was the even and level laying of the insulation.

Really happy with Jesse and Travis, you can tell they are experts at what they do and they do it well. Having a pro confirm my opinion made me compelled to give this rating. Good job boys, i hope your boss reads this!

Attic Insulation

I got introduced to this company through third party. Their sales person, Paul, was very responsive and polite, however he made an error in his presentation that was addressed properly and promptly by the main office in Ottawa. The reason I wrote this comment is to confirm that I dealt with a company that stands by its word and even if they make a mistake, they would do the right thing to fix it. During the installation, the crew was very polite, nice and clean and they worked with me during the inspection of the work.

Attic insulation

Comfort Insulation (Insulation Home Services through Costco) was great throughout the process. They were very courteous and communicative, a stark contrast to other insulation companies that I talked to. I worked with Paul and he was very friendly and helpful. The installers that came on the day walked me through the steps that they are planning and showed me the progress they made throughout the day. I am happy with my choice to go with Comofrt Insulation and would highly recommend them for your insulation needs!

David Z in Maple
David Z in Maple

attics insulation

Signed a contract through COSTCO to add insulation to my poorly insulated attics (< 7" and unevenly distributed) last week with Paul from ComfortInsulation. Very nice guy, softly speaking and patient. Today the team, Travis and Edward, came to perform the job. Within 2 hours, they finished it. What would I say? Professional, friendly, efficient. I wish they do window replacement because that's my next project.

Satisfied!

Alex from Pickering
Alex from Pickering
3 reviews Pickering, ON

Attic Insulation

Very pleased with this company.

We were looking at adding insulation to our attic as it was quite low when we purchased the house (~6 inches). We initially discovered Comfort Insulation through a visit to Costco (they had one of those promotional stands on the way out) and looked online and heard both good and bad about Costco contractors / partnerships.

We moved on to get a few more quotes and were going to pay about the same or more for alternative companies we were interested in. We figured we'd take the chance as Costco would at least back their work in case something went wrong.

We're very glad we did. A sales representative came by to inspect the attic and then the work was done by two other individuals (Ashley and Dave). Ashley and Dave were both very courteous and clearly customer centric in their approach. They did exactly what they said they would do and Ashley even helped answer some of the questions I had about the work done.

As a bonus, the upgrade to our attic insulation actually made a difference in our home which made it seem like money well spent to boot.

Highly recommended for anyone considering to use their services.

Hi Alex;

Thanks very much and we appreciate you taking the time to pass along such great feedback. Your comments have been passed along to management and to both Ashley and Dave!

More about Insulation Home Services - Comfort Insulation

" A healthy house is well sealed, well insulated and properly ventilated. " We provide solutions that save you money. With over 20 years in the industry we offer superior products and outstanding service. We offer a lifetime warranty on our work. Get started today with a free estimate.