Chriscraft Renovations

catherine gordon green in Kitchener
catherine gordon green in Kitchener
1 review Simcoe County, ON

renovated deck, bathroom, siding and general h0usehold renovations

I met chriscraft through a very accomplished tradesperson. The crew are very friendly, creative and extremely hardworking. The renos on my house were very difficult because it is located half way down a cliff. They were great in problem solving and would go the extra mile to rebuild or repair the problem. I would highly recommend Chris and his crew. They are very knowledgeable and experienced tradespeople who want to do the job right

cduke from Waterloo
cduke from Waterloo

House Renovation: Everything taken down to the studs

Unfortunately, we did not have a great experience with this renovation or contractor. He did not use a crew with proven skills and same with some of his sub trades. As example, we had issues with painting. When we asked, we were told the painter was recommended by a "good buddy"and hired for the job. He did not personally know the quality or workmanship of this painter or his crew. Our project was first time he worked with this painter. Another example, we had to have closets redone. Looked like someone used wrong tools. We corrected this by hiring Courtney Closets which were great. Also, my basement flooring had to be re-installed 4 times. When initially installed, my floor had a horrible downward slope. I was told this was due to being an older house and if we ever had a flood, the water would have a place to go. Looked like we were installing a ramp. When I asked, I found out no material had been used to level the floor. Eventually they corrected. Our master ensuite had to be redone. The epoxy backing was not taken off the marble so the thinset did not stick. After a few months, grout started to crack and tile started to move. We worked with Schnarr Craftsman to correct this. When tile was removed in master and original sub floor exposed, we noticed nails were used. No screws. I do not feel there was a lot of attention to detail. We started to keep a list of issues and Chris would kindly walk thru the list, but could never commit to a timeline to address and resolve. Communication was average at best. I suggest when looking for a contractor, consider the following: Ensure you have a detailed agreement as well as work back schedule. Be sure crew is on board for daily clean up of job site and organization of tools. I have 3 young children and many times tools would be left out ( ie hammer, screwdriver, caulking material, etc) and I would have to remind folks to put this away so it could not be accessed by little ones. Look for someone who doesn't just want the space to be functional, but also pays attention to detail. My door trims , in some places, are uneven so they used white caulking in these areas to fill the gaps and just looks subpar and not professional. There are many other things I could comment on, but limited in how many words I can use. I do also think Chris is a great guy. Friendly and nice, but I think this scope of our project was too much for him and his crew. When having to address issues multiple times, it is a big disruption to have people in your house for months and months. Take a look at following: http://www.decormentor.com/2011/05/30/12-qualities-in-a-great-contractors/

adam from Waterloo
adam from Waterloo
1 review Waterloo, ON

Total gut of house and addition

I had used Chriscraft on smaller jobs and there work seemed fine. However, with a major reno they have been over 6 months over schedule and the workmanship has been subpar. The site supervisor Jake doesnt know what he is doing and doesnt keep the subcontractors on task or to a level of quality. We have crooked floors, a crooked window and a bathroom that needs to be redone as they didnt lay the marble tiles correctly. I would not recommend using this contractor which is unfortunate as Chris the owner is a nice guy.

Jeff from Waterloo
Jeff from Waterloo

New Carport and Retaining Wall

Hired them by a word of mouth recommendation and have no regrets! Chris is a great guy and his workers were polite, efficient and thorough. Job site was always cleaned up at night which was great because I live there. Job time estimates went over schedule (of course) but this is to be expected. Costs were reasonable and according to the estimate. I highly recommend them!

Glenn in Waterloo
Glenn in Waterloo
1 review Wellesley, ON

Addition and bathroom renovation

This company was provided with the detailed construction drawings for a major renovation project (second floor (220 sq. ft.)to be added to a one-story mudroom and the installation of a new ensuite bathroom in the existing house). They could not follow the drawings and diverged significantly from the details provided. Now, the windows don't align (because they are three different lengths instead of all the same length) and they are installed up to 10 inches away from where they should be. The whole addition looks off-balance. They have adamantly refused to take responsibility for the problem, and just keep asking us to pay the balance on the job (another 57,000 on top of the 90,000 we've paid so far. Furthermore, the new bathtub was installed without the tile flange that the manufacturer said "must be" attached. They are refusing to do whatever is necessary to fix the tub/wall seal at this point, emphasizing that they can be trusted over the manufacturer. The whole job is a mess, and they won't agree to fix it, even if we pay the full invoice. They clearly seem to not know what they're doing.