Ottawa General Contractors

Reviews for Ottawa General Contractors

Ted downtown Toronto
Ted downtown Toronto

Mid renovation comments

As we are coming to a mid point in my renovation project I wanted to take a moment to provide major kudos to two people who have been associated with the project and who have gone above and beyond in making it progress as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

The first is Michael our Project Manager. Michael has kept me informed and updated on every step of the construction and providing me with options and explanations while listening to my needs and wants. He has been a rock in that I feel confident that he will listen to my requests and provide me with realistic options and budgetary implications so that I am able to make educated decisions on which route I want to take. I am very grateful that we have him in place to manage the project.

The second person that I want to praise is the carpenter Matt. His work and dedication to doing things right also provides me with the confidence that the structure is being built the best way possible. For example, when he noted that when, as the approved plans called for, a wall was to be moved in order to create our walk in closet, that doing so created a weakness in the roof structure, he instantly recommended the solution rather than just going ahead as per the plans. This attitude along with numerous suggestions and explanations he has provided along the way, have again provided me with confidence that the construction will be completed correctly.

As a client, I appreciate being provided with efficient and prompt information followed by prompt follow through on the decisions made as shown by these two individuals.

I would have given more stars but for issues and delays with getting city approvals.

Private User reviews Ottawa, ON

Structural wall removal - townhouse condo

OGC is a very professional company and a good choice if you prefer the comfort of going with a large scale organization over an independent contractor or tradesperson. In 2017 we had them do the structural work to remove a wall and relocate wiring in our kitchen (townhouse condo). A number of issues with the structural were resolved after a few headaches and setbacks, but nothing dramatic to complain about. We wanted to save money and do a lot of the work ourselves (cabinet installation, drywall, painting) and they had no issue working with us and our schedule.

We worked with Allan and his #1 goal was to make sure we were happy. Yes, I would recommend them and may use them again in the future.

Ryan in Toronto
Ryan in Toronto

Basement Renovations

This is the second time we have used Ottawa General Contractors, which is a testament to their service. The project managers, Brad and Andrew are always present and answer questions whenever you have them. They are great at keeping you informed on your project and the contractors really care about the quality of work that they do.

Han in Waterloo
Han in Waterloo
1 review Waterloo, ON

Whole house renovation incl expansion

From last April, I started my whole house renovation, including expansion. During this whole project, Brad and Deirdre gave me more help. They all worked hard to meet my every requirement. I changed my mind a lot, every change they help me to fulfill. Now I am living in this new house, which looks pretty and the quality is so high. It’s my dream house and I enjoy the life here. Thanks for Brad! Thanks for Deirdre!

John & Nelson in Nepean
John & Nelson in Nepean

Complete Condominium Renovation

From the initial quote, through the design and build, and even during an extended delay due to an unforeseen and complex project setback, OGC team members remained conscientious, considerate and professional, taking full responsibility for their work, and that of all subcontractors, and ensuring and warranting an excellent finished project.

Steph and Ali
Steph and Ali

Coach House

In 2017 we approached OGC regarding several projects, including the construction of a coach house. The City of Ottawa had recently introduced a new bylaw which allowed the construction of coach houses, and among all the companies we consulted, OGC was by far the most knowledgeable regarding the new bylaw and how it would apply to our property.

We dealt with Ken at the very start of the Coach House project, from the initial consultation through the planning process. Ken listened to our ideas and proposed different layouts and features which could potentially work on our property. We worked closely with him for several months and we recognize and appreciate the level of patience he had with us while entertaining all our ideas and seeing how they could be incorporated into the plans and scope of work. Our first impression of Ken was that he was very knowledgeable and it was easy to communicate with him. It was extremely important for us to work with someone we felt we could communicate with, and that took the time to listen and understand our needs/wants! Ken understood our vision with the project and had lots of great advice, and always made himself available to answer our questions. A significant amount of time went into finalizing the scope of work and we never felt any pressure to sign an agreement with OGC.

Ken also invested a lot of time ensuring the city and community was on board with the project, and attended community meetings to present the project and address any concerns raised. This was done to satisfy and facilitate permit requirements and ensure the project proceeded smoothly.

For the construction stage, the project was handed over to Paolo, our Project Manager. From day one, Paolo was extremely enthusiastic about getting the work started and making sure the project stayed on schedule. He kept us updated on the work schedule, and would anticipate decisions we needed to make at our end (regarding finishes etc) so that the work schedule wasn’t impacted. There was a significant amount of materials which were our responsibility to purchase outside of the contract with OGC, and Paolo helped make sure that timely decisions were made and that materials were on site so that they could proceed with the work without delay.

Paolo was managing multiple projects simultaneously, however he never made us feel like our project was not his priority. He promptly acknowledged and responded to all our questions and concerns, and kept us informed, which was extremely helpful in keeping us calm and happy. A project of this size could be extremely stressful for people (like us) who aren’t in the industry and don’t know what to anticipate. Paolo always took the time to keep us informed and never made us feel like our concerns weren’t important.

During construction we encountered some issues related to city requirements, the design, and the existing site conditions; some of which could have been anticipated by the designer at OGC. We were frustrated at times because we were required to find ways to address these issues or make changes to the scope of work, but Paolo engaged the right people within OGC to help develop solutions and remained positive throughout.

We developed a great deal of trust in Paolo because he continuously ensured the quality of the work was done to our satisfaction/standards. We also cannot emphasize enough the level of patience he had with us, and how much he contributed to our sanity, and minimizing any stress or anxiety we had about undertaking a project of this size. We are extremely grateful that he was responsible for our project. We also want to acknowledge Andrew (the operation’s Manager at OGC) for his attention to the project at various times during the project.

The only negative aspect of the project with OGC was that we felt there was a lack of guidance (initially) with respect to the design or choice of finishes. We struggled when selecting materials and making choices which would be both practical and aesthetically pleasing at the beginning of the project. However, towards the end of the project we met one of the designers (Deidre) who was absolutely wonderful to work with. She helped coordinate the purchase of materials and was always available to help out even though she was introduced to our project in the final stage. Her design taste and suggestions were very much in line with what we liked and wanted, and it provided us with more confidence in selecting some of the finishing touches!

This project was really important to us, as we felt it was a large investment with a fair amount of risk involved. We are extremely happy and satisfied with the final result and absolutely love the outcome, as well as our decision to work with OGC!

We believe that OGC puts a lot of emphasis on communication and building strong relationships with their clients. At times, we can honestly say that they went over and above and we feel that relationships likes these are hard to come by in this industry.

We would definitely work with OGC again in the future!

Thomas from Ottawa
Thomas from Ottawa
4 reviews Ottawa, ON

Complete bathroom design and reno

I will start with the bottom line of my thoughts on working with OGC, which is, if asked by a friend, I would recommend them. On the whole it was a positive experience, the bathroom they designed and built for us is tasteful and well-built and they were good to work with and very professional throughout the experience. If you want some more detail I will include it below.
Sales
We started off working with Nick, who did sales and the basic design and needs with us. We had three other quotes as well and, for what it is worth, OGC was the highest bidder. But we were also very impressed with their well laid out and explained process that Nick walked us through.
Design/Materials
We started off working with Tanie, who we felt didn’t really want to listen to our wants but did help us design a practical bathroom that will be great for resale. Tanie left the company half way through the design process. She was replaced by Deirdre, who I have to give huge props to. She did an great job taking over without a ton of documentation and really helped steer the design more towards what we were looking for. She also had a lot of really practical suggestions, it was good to work with her.
Build
Michael was our project manager and Edgar of Laverne Home Improvements was the lead/owner of the sub-contractors who did the build. Both were great to work with in their own way. Michael was really good on the communication front and kept us well informed on what was going on. Edgar and his team did their best to work around us and produced a nice finished product without any real major snags. The project was on budget and on time.
Communication
As I mentioned OGC has a great process and were pretty good at communicating with us throughout. If I had one gripe it would be that they often didn’t seem to have communicated with each other. For example we had a bit of a miss communication around the bathroom door and everyone said someone else would buy it. It all got sorted out, but probably would have been easier if it was just communicated up front.
Finished product:
Looks really nice, seems to be well built. It was more expensive than we would have hoped but the costs were well inventoried for us and there weren’t surprises. Besides a few minor finishing details that didn’t get done perfectly (e.g. the grout) the work seems to be of really good quality and it seems like it will last well. We are quite pleased with it all, it really turned out better then expected.

Private User reviews Ottawa, ON

Kitchen, bathrooms, entire first floor

Our recent home renovation project has been quite the adventure. We are very pleased with the work from our OGC team and their subcontractors. Paolo has been an excellent project manager, and Deidre has been so helpful in guiding us through the design process. Both have been extremely professional and available to us at a moments notice. Will be recommending this team, for sure.

Basement Suite

We carefully researched several companies and decided on OGC because of their professionalism and warranty. Although the project took longer than expected (we experienced this with renovations by different contractors in the past), the end result was beyond our expectations. Brad (Project Manager) went above and beyond what was written in the scope of work. In terms of selecting cabinets and other materials (e.g., lights, tiles, etc.), Taveen (Project and Materials Coordinator) was exceptionally helpful and very skilled. Loved working with her. Overall, the end result was better than expected and we highly
recommend OGC!

asaadadil11 in Ottawa
asaadadil11 in Ottawa
1 review Ottawa, ON

Excellent service, timely with superb quality.

I had a basement flood this past Summer from rain water backup. I hired OGC to do restore my basement, add a bathroom there, move my laundry machines downstairs, and add backwater valves to my sewer.
The estimated time for my work was 4-8 weeks, and they finished in 4 weeks. Everything went exceptionally well. They were so tidy, they cleaned every day after they leave. The level of communication is unheard of, I got a schedule ahead of every week about what is going to be done in the coming week. It is not easy to have renovation at home while living their with kids, but they managed to make everything go very smoothly and we didn't even feel they were there most of the time. All the issues I raised were addressed in a timely fashion. This experience made my change my mind about home renovation, it is not scary or messy at all.
Thanks to my project manager, the team at OGC, and my lovely contractors.

More about Ottawa General Contractors

OGC - Ottawa General Contractors are leaders as Ottawa's design and build renovation experts. Specializing in home renovations, new and custom home construction as well as home design. With our project management and coordination, we're able to efficiently juggle more jobs, large and small, without dropping the ball.

Ottawa General Contractors are an accredited business with the Ottawa BBB and our CEO, Moe Abbas is a former member of the board of directors for the Better Business Bureau (BBB).. Our skills and expert service has allowed us to expand to other cities in Canada including Vancouver and Calgary in less than 8 years making us one of the fastest growing construction companies.

We offer warranty following the Tarion warranty guidelines for all our renovations and construction projects. We also have a design center and in house designers available to help you design and build your home. With over 50 years of experience, our team has the knowledge, the tools, the skill-set and the resources to give you the best value for your dollar at unbeatable service.

We at Ottawa General Contractors understand that you are looking for value with your renovation services. Trust our team to do it right the first time! Call us directly at (613) 225-9991!

Visit our website for all our credentials and more information.

Ottawa Construction & Ottawa renovation expert services:

Home Architects
Home Builders
Custom Home Builders
Custom House Builders

Ottawa General Contractors - leaders in home renovations. Have you worked with us? Leave a review!